Are we back to three evening dress codes again?

cruisestitch

Does the world come to an end if you wear "cruise casual" on an "evening chic" night?  Sailing the Apex next month with DH, DS18 and DD20.  We are very casual people and have zero desire to wear anything remotely fancy or formal.  Outside of wearing shorts to dinner, which I know is big no-no, we will be casually dressed. Guys will be in nice (lululemon) khaki style pants with a golf shirt, DD will probably wear a nice sundress, and I'll be in capris.  Hope no one gets their knickers in a twist.  

• Like 3

I love my $23.00 long dress/gown that rolls up smaller than any of my slacks and pants. I get many complements every time I wear it. My husband and I get a good giggle from this. I look forward to the evening chic nights. My husband wears a dress shirt, slacks and a tie.  Different strokes for different folks. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sunshinegirl89 said:

Does the world come to an end if you wear "cruise casual" on an "evening chic" night?  Sailing the Apex next month with DH, DS18 and DD20.  We are very casual people and have zero desire to wear anything remotely fancy or formal.  Outside of wearing shorts to dinner, which I know is big no-no, we will be casually dressed. Guys will be in nice (lululemon) khaki style pants with a golf shirt, DD will probably wear a nice sundress, and I'll be in capris.  Hope no one gets their knickers in a twist.  

I living proof it doesn't. What you described is great for all evenings. 

• Like 3

That’s all I wear as well every night of the cruise. Never had a problem. 

• Like 1

You'll be just fine.  Celebrity's definition of Evening Chic even has a phrase that if you do not want to participate smart casual is acceptable.  In my experience, there is a pretty wide variety of how dressed up people get on Evening Chic night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JLMcruise said:

I love my $23.00 long dress/gown that rolls up smaller than any of my slacks and pants. I get many complements every time I wear it. My husband and I get a good giggle from this. I look forward to the evening chic nights. My husband wears a dress shirt, slacks and a tie.  Different strokes for different folks. 

I think women wear slacks and men wear trousers  😁

4 hours ago, doghog said:

I living proof it doesn't. What you described is great for all evenings. 

3 hours ago, Kelownadon said:

That’s all I wear as well every night of the cruise. Never had a problem. 

3 hours ago, prmssk said:

You'll be just fine.  Celebrity's definition of Evening Chic even has a phrase that if you do not want to participate smart casual is acceptable.  In my experience, there is a pretty wide variety of how dressed up people get on Evening Chic night.

Thank you!  Glad to hear we won’t have to do the walk of shame for being underdressed.  LOL

• Like 2

Adding a little bit more context to my previous post re: being dressed nicely. 

Cost of your clothing is irrelevant. If you focus on how truly wealthy people are dressed, the most important rules seem to be, in order of most to least important:

1) clothes should be clean and not wrinkled

2) should fit well

3) should be appropriate for the occasion (ie: gym clothes at a dinner restaurant is never acceptable, but a sun dress on a cruise ship dinner might be… use discretion). Sure it’s great to wear a suit on a formal night of a cruise… but nobody would be surprised if Bill Gates was wearing slacks and a sweater to that sort of event (assuming he actually went to such events, which I doubt)

4) (at this point, it’s already becoming much less important) should be stylish … but not necessarily expensive (I have plenty of clothing items below $100 that get tons of complements, as a guy)

5) should not be a walking billboard … sure, a billionaire might be wearing a $1000 Moncler sweater… but it isn’t going to say the brand name in giant letters…

If you follow those rules, there are very very few places they would ever give you a problem. Basically, a few Michelin starred restaurants… and a few special events (eg: weddings, award ceremonies), where the invitation spells out the dress code very clearly. 

• Haha 3

I personally enjoy dressing up. I work from home and have a young toddler, so I live in loungewear and gym attire. I will be wearing a dress probably every night on my cruise. I’ll probably look overdressed but I don’t care. I like looking nice and I wish everyone dressed up for dinner like they used to back in the day. It’s fun! But also we can drive to the port so checked luggage isn’t an issue for me. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, hcat said:

no such thing as overdressed lots of people like to dress up a bit...  but my spouse no longer drags a tux...

thank god that i read your post twice...First time i thought it said goes in drag......lol...and yes i sold my tuxes at the consignment shop years ago, but my wife and i still dress nicely every night. life is good.

On 11/3/2023 at 2:45 PM, sunshinegirl89 said:

You will be just fine 

• Like 2

What is this discussion even about?  We have not been on Celebrity since pre- COVID.  Unless things have changed, the chic night dress suggestions are incredibly casual.  Few things are prohibited in the dining rooms.  Other than those things, you can pretty much wear what you want and be in compliance. 

On 11/4/2023 at 5:39 PM, someguyfl said:

Adding a little bit more context to my previous post re: being dressed nicely. 

Cost of your clothing is irrelevant. If you focus on how truly wealthy people are dressed, the most important rules seem to be, in order of most to least important:

1) clothes should be clean and not wrinkled

2) should fit well

3) should be appropriate for the occasion (ie: gym clothes at a dinner restaurant is never acceptable, but a sun dress on a cruise ship dinner might be… use discretion). Sure it’s great to wear a suit on a formal night of a cruise… but nobody would be surprised if Bill Gates was wearing slacks and a sweater to that sort of event (assuming he actually went to such events, which I doubt)

4) (at this point, it’s already becoming much less important) should be stylish … but not necessarily expensive (I have plenty of clothing items below $100 that get tons of complements, as a guy)

5) should not be a walking billboard … sure, a billionaire might be wearing a $1000 Moncler sweater… but it isn’t going to say the brand name in giant letters…

If you follow those rules, there are very very few places they would ever give you a problem. Basically, a few Michelin starred restaurants… and a few special events (eg: weddings, award ceremonies), where the invitation spells out the dress code very clearly. 

I have no need to focus on how truly wealthy people are dressed.  I find it kind of an odd lead in to the list of how to dress rules.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I have no need to focus on how truly wealthy people are dressed.  I find it kind of an odd lead in to the list of how to dress rules.   

The point is that so many people are focused on dressing up to a standard that nobody actually cares about. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, someguyfl said:

The point is that so many people are focused on dressing up to a standard that nobody actually cares about. 

OK.  I'm still not sure how that relates to how wealthy people dress.  It just seems to be an odd focus. I follow the guidelines and don't look sloppy, but in truth being stylish is incredibly far down my list of things on the importance scale.   I don't think people are dressing the way they do on cruises because of budget constraints.  But what do I know.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

uhhhhh, sure.

image.thumb.png.938d4fbe5aa09fab19fc6744d1dc6375.png

Right, this is an example of something that very wealthy people, for the most part ... wouldn't wear ...

People who are wearing these sorts of things tend to be able to just barely afford these sorts of things and want to advertise that their clothes were expensive.

Anyway, do whatever makes you comfortable.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

OK.  I'm still not sure how that relates to how wealthy people dress.  It just seems to be an odd focus. I follow the guidelines and don't look sloppy, but in truth being stylish is incredibly far down my list of things on the importance scale.   I don't think people are dressing the way they do on cruises because of budget constraints.  But what do I know.  

And if you look at what I said, it's exactly that. Don't look sloppy. Being stylish was far down the list. I've said budget isn't really a thing. You're literally agreeing with everything I laid out on how to dress appropriately.

I live in a golf club neighborhood with a club restaurant..  We have a dress code that comes down to no tshirts.  Maybe no ripped jeans.  

When I cruise I tend to leave the denim at home and wear active pants or shirts during the day and slacks with dress shoes at night.  Denim is too heavy when you’re on a hike or walking around a city.  So no ripped jeans for me and no baseball caps.

I don’t pay $1000 for sweaters.  You can get very nice things online for $100.