Are we back to three evening dress codes again?

cruisestitch

I am only doing one.  I don't have plans to dress up on chic night with a suit.  It takes too much room in the luggage.  We have tons of cruise pictures.  First time I have skipped.  The differences between the other two are too small IMHO.  Why make it more complicated?

Not a fan of Celebrity's "dress code" I don't dress like a slob, and rarely, if ever wear flip flops, nor do I think wearing a swim suite to dinner is fine, but if I want to wear a nice pressed pair of shorts with a collared shirt to dinner I'm going to do it.  I'm not a child and don't enjoy spending thousands of dollars to go on vacation and told how to drees like a child.  Grow up Celebrity.

Edited by Tyler414
  • Like 1

I dress smart casual every evening. Most evenings we dine in Luminae.

EVENING CHIC

Each itinerary features one to two “formal” nights we call Evening Chic. Evening Chic means you dress to impress, glamorous and sophisticated in your own way, with a cocktail dress, skirt, slacks, or designer jean, an elegant dress top or blazer—some guests even pack a tuxedo or gown for onboard photos. The Daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening. If you do not wish to participate in Evening Chic, Smart Casual attire is acceptable for dining and theater.

Just now, NMTraveller said:

I am only doing one.  I don't have plans to dress up on chic night with a suit.  It takes too much room in the luggage.  We have tons of cruise pictures.  First time I have skipped.  The differences between the other two are too small IMHO.  Why make it more complicated?

It seems to have been a mistake

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Also had 3 Chic nights. They really should stick to the guidelines in the FAQ's on their website.

EVENING CHIC

Each itinerary features one to two “formal” nights we call Evening Chic.

Maybe they really mean 1 OR 2, which is 3 if you ask a programmer.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, jwlane said:

There's one dress code---the one YOU decide to wear.

So you feel it's completely ok to wear whatever the heck you want to, even though you booked a cruise with a line that has specific rules about what you should be wearing?  That the rules may belong to other people, but not to you, or they can just be ignored because who cares about rules?   Wow.  That's a very interesting attitude.  Do you feel that way about their other rules?  Ok to smoke if you decide to do it?  Ok to roller skate down the hallways if you decide to do it?  Ok to bring bottles of alcohol onboard if you decide to do it?  Sorry (not sorry) I just don't see the difference.  Rules are rules.  You can't just decide which to follow and which not.  That's all I can say without getting booted off of Cruise Critic.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, upwarduk said:

In the past we have always adhered to the dress code .

However, on our last cruise my husband wore sandals all the time.

He recently had a hip replacement and because of swollen feet, it was all he could get on.

Hope he is wear his compression socks 😉😁

nothing is wrong with a nice pair of sandals 😁

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tyler414 said:

Not a fan of Celebrity's "dress code" I don't dress like a slob, and rarely, if ever wear flip flops, nor do I think wearing a swim suite to dinner is fine, but if I want to wear a nice pressed pair of shorts with a collared shirt to dinner I'm going to do it.  I'm not a child and don't enjoy spending thousands of dollars to go on vacation and told how to drees like a child.  Grow up Celebrity.

No, you don't need to be told how to dress like a child. You seem to be doing that all on your own. What you need to be told is how to dress like an adult. Adult men wear slacks when they go out to eat in a nice restaurant. At least the mature ones do.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tyler414 said:

hope you enjoy the buffet.. there are few rules  but no shorts for dinner is one that is still followed...hopefully

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

No, you don't need to be told how to dress like a child. You seem to be doing that all on your own. What you need to be told is how to dress like an adult. Adult men wear slacks when they go out to eat in a nice restaurant. At least the mature ones do.

I usually ignore Karens. 

• Like 1

On our last cruise most people did not follow the guidelines. At least we didn't see pj type of clothing. We are old school and always dressed up for an evening. Nicely dressed people enhance cruising experience. At current times, I know a lot of people will not agree with me. I am not in for discussion " don't judge the book by it's cover".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2023 at 2:26 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I was actually anticipating a 3rd dress code of "smart" shorts, vs dumb shorts, on some cruises

Looking forward to the Apple or Android "smart shorts" debate.......

I'll see myself out now....

I'll just throw in my own $0.02 ... I don't personally care too much what people do, but I do think it would be nice if, in general, people did put effort into dressing nicer on the 'evening chic' nights.

With that said, I personally own a tuxedo and multiple suits, as well as designer jeans, t-shirts, styling sport coats, etc etc... Depending on the itinerary, bringing along a suit really might just be asking a lot ... eg: I will be doing a B2B cruise later this year starting in Santiago Chile, ultimately ending in Buenos Aires, and cruising Antartica... The full cruise will be 30 days and will range from hot/humid to ... Antarctica cold.

It seems it will be impossible to fly business class, so that would mean that I'd have to put my suit in my checked bags (which will get them entirely wrinkled), and take up a lot of space ... as well as an extra pair of shoes which will only be worn a couple of times.

Honestly, really not sure if it's worth the hassle to bring my suit, but, we'll see...

And, adding to that ... the difference in someone wearing nicely selected, tailored, designer jeans / t-shirt/sports coat (ie: dress to impress at a night club) vs someone wearing a rented Men's Warehouse suit... I'd say the Men's Warehouse suit is clearly the under-dressed person.

When I go to company parties, I regularly have all the ladies commenting on how I am the best dressed guy at the event, and, unless the dress code specifically requires a suit, I don't wear one -- and many other men do.

Likewise, I've dressed in a similar way on Celebrity cruises, and had various other cruisers cold-approach me to comment on how much they liked my style.

Sure, this might be a generational thing, but I can see the difference in quality very clearly, and I'd rather someone wear quality clothes than just "a suit" which ticks a box.

For the record, I'm 41 / Male.

Okay, off my soap box.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, someguyfl said:

I'd rather someone wear quality clothes than just "a suit" which ticks a box

So, Abercrombie and Fitch shorts and sleeveless shirt rather than my Kohls separates suit?

Edited by mayleeman