Is an upgrade worth it?

Cruise a holic

We will be sailing on the Silhouette in January.  We are currently booked in a sky suite.  Any opinions about the move up program to a Celebrity suite?  Have had Royal suites in the past, but the rate, even move-up is too expensive for us- loved the 1 1/2 bathrooms.  The Celebrity suite only has one bathroom.  Any thoughts?

Personally, I would skip the Celebrity suite if you're doing a move up bid as that category doesn't offer much more than a bigger space over the Sky Suite.  I recently did a move up bid (fair range) for a Royal suite and a loft suite on Ascent.  Both those categories not only offer a bigger space but also other associated perks like unlimited specialty dining, multiple bathrooms, etc. 

As far as "worth it" goes, it's worth it to us if we get our bid accepted (unlikely)   because the price to upgrade outright is so expensive.  I placed the bid because it will likely be the only time we sail in either of these categories (e-Class). 

On Silhouette, I found the Royal suite to be very worth the upgrade.  Bigger room, soaking tub on the balcony, powder room, bar set up, dedicated butler, included specialty dining...if you bid to upgrade I say go for a category that will give you more than a bigger room.

I just rambled way more than normal...sorry.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Personally, I would skip the Celebrity suite if you're doing a move up bid as that category doesn't offer much more than a bigger space over the Sky Suite.  I recently did a move up bid (fair range) for a Royal suite and a loft suite on Ascent.  Both those categories not only offer a bigger space but also other associated perks like unlimited specialty dining, multiple bathrooms, etc. 

As far as "worth it" goes, it's worth it to us if we get our bid accepted (unlikely)   because the price to upgrade outright is so expensive.  I placed the bid because it will likely be the only time we sail in either of these categories (e-Class). 

On Silhouette, I found the Royal suite to be very worth the upgrade.  Bigger room, soaking tub on the balcony, powder room, bar set up, dedicated butler, included specialty dining...if you bid to upgrade I say go for a category that will give you more than a bigger room.

I just rambled way more than normal...sorry.

Thanks for your opinion.  Probably will not bid.  

I have sailed in a Celebrity Suite twice and the main benefit was the semi-separate sleeping area.  Our daughter was with us and it was nice to be able to put her to bed out on the couch and still be able to watch TV in the bedroom area.  That being said, there is a giant translucent window which lets in some light and sound, so the bedroom doesn't actually feel like a totally separate room. I think there is also some extra storage space, but if you aren’t traveling with a third person, it probably isn’t worth it.  

Edited by SerraG

I would take a CS anytime if the prices wasn't prohibitive.    The thing I like most is having 2 true rooms especially if you have a spouse that snores.

It also works well if one of you is an early morning person and the other likes to sleep in.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We will be sailing on the Silhouette in January.  We are currently booked in a sky suite.  Any opinions about the move up program to a Celebrity suite?  Have had Royal suites in the past, but the rate, even move-up is too expensive for us- loved the 1 1/2 bathrooms.  The Celebrity suite only has one bathroom.  Any thoughts?

My thought is that it’s well worth it for $1, not so well worth it for $10,000.  Some idea of the price range would be helpful.

We recently upgraded to CS from Sky Suite on the Edge and loved it. With the changes to the butler service, we decided to upgrade and do not regret it. We paid $1k/pp for the upgrade and we loved the separate bedroom and our butler bringing our lattes every morning. Our butler and room steward decorated the room on my birthday and it was a lovely surprise. My husband is a night owl and I get up early, so having a separate bedroom with its own TV was great. Plus we loved the spacious accommodations. Like someone else mentioned, people would not bid if they didn't think it was worth it and we all have different levels of "worthiness" vs value. My daughter had a sky suite and enjoyed it (though she did miss having a butler - not that we ask them to do much more than morning coffee). So, in my long, rambling way, I'm trying to say that a sky suite will be just fine (and you'll have a great time), but if you can splurge for the extra space and butler service without seriously hurting your pocketbook, then go for it.

• Like 1

Here were the minimum bids we received for our Jan Ascent sailing. We are currently in a Sky Suite.

Minimum bids were:

Sunset Sky Suite - $100pp

Aqua Sky Suite - $140pp

Celebrity Suite - $750pp

Royal Suite - $1,500pp

Edge Villa - $2,000pp

Penthouse Suite - $2,500pp

Iconic Suite - $3,000pp

We did bid on the CS and RS. The extra space plus two separate rooms plus butler were worth a shot at the CS. With current prices, we won’t see the inside of either of them unless the door is open as we walk by. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ISABELLA said:

Question for experienced in move up bids: What does " pending" mean? Maybe?? or just that Celebrity received our bid? Thanks

From what I have researched it has multiple meanings. If the bid is still able to be modified then it doesn’t mean much other than there’s still a chance to get the upgrade. If the bids are locked and especially if you bid on multiple upgrade categories and one is showing “pending”and the others “expired” then there is a very good chance you have won the upgrade. The process could take from the time it is locked until 48 hours before departure to actually clear as upgraded. The first sign of the clearers upgrade is the charge on your credit card provided when you packed the bid. This it is helpful if you have alerts set for CC transactions.

As a side note, as someone recently a victim and still fighting identity theft I would suggest notifications of any transactions. As a business owner get a lot of notifications but the immediate notice has proven to be a lifesaver.

9 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Here were the minimum bids we received for our Jan Ascent sailing. We are currently in a Sky Suite.

Minimum bids were:

Sunset Sky Suite - $100pp

Aqua Sky Suite - $140pp

Celebrity Suite - $750pp

Royal Suite - $1,500pp

Edge Villa - $2,000pp

Penthouse Suite - $2,500pp

Iconic Suite - $3,000pp

We did bid on the CS and RS. The extra space plus two separate rooms plus butler were worth a shot at the CS. With current prices, we won’t see the inside of either of them unless the door is open as we walk by. 

mac_tlc

We did a upgrade to penthouse on edge a couple of years ago , it was a amazing experience not sure if we will attempt that again.

• Like 1

It makes me very sad to read from some future guests about the “resignation” that Butler service in a Sky Suite is gone.  Many booked a SS with that expectation. I have been a very big fan of Celebrity and fortunate enough to only sail once in a RS and all other sailings in a PS.  That said, with all of the cutbacks, even in Luminae, and the “supply chain issues” with the availability of sprits and wine I am reluctant to book another cruise with Celebrity.  This year is the first time in many years that we do not have another Celebrity cruise booked.

I am in a Sky Suite(S1) on Beyond for 12/1/23; just to bid on a Celebrity Suite, the MoveUp price starts at $3,000 per person!  Just Wow, IMHO...the other categories are just rediculous too!

Obviously, no bid for me.  I can get an implant for close to that price... just got one and tomorrow I get a root canal with a new crown.  Opportunity cost at work for me!

Edited by Lastdance

3 hours ago, rM3panno said:

From what I have researched it has multiple meanings. If the bid is still able to be modified then it doesn’t mean much other than there’s still a chance to get the upgrade. If the bids are locked and especially if you bid on multiple upgrade categories and one is showing “pending”and the others “expired” then there is a very good chance you have won the upgrade. The process could take from the time it is locked until 48 hours before departure to actually clear as upgraded. The first sign of the clearers upgrade is the charge on your credit card provided when you packed the bid. This it is helpful if you have alerts set for CC transactions.

As a side note, as someone recently a victim and still fighting identity theft I would suggest notifications of any transactions. As a business owner get a lot of notifications but the immediate notice has proven to be a lifesaver.

We only bid on one category Sky suites and it is open for modification, just noted as pending. I will check my CC.

Thank you.