Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

Whheeee, I am finally caught up.

We left for a land trip to Dublin and London the day your live review started.

Then when we returned had to decorate and started getting ready for Christmas ( so not much time to keep up to date on your review)

Extra special year around here this Christmas, as we have not one but two beautiful granddaughters who will be celebrating their first Christmas.

Loving your review as always. Sorry to hear about all your loss recently, and to read that you were under the weather. Glad you are feeling better, as has the ship service issues.

You all seem to be enjoying yourself now.

Wonderful content, and pictures as always 

• Like 4

I love your pics, Jim!  DH has said more than once that he really has no desire to cruise Australia. He says he’s “heard” it’s like the US only on the other side of the world. I’ve shown him some of your pics. I think I’m seeing a crack in his armor!!  So thank you!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 5
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

He says he’s “heard” it’s like the US only on the other side of the world. I’ve shown him some of your pics. 

For my 60th birthday I stayed at Lillianfels in the Blue Mountains with my husband, we visited the Three Sisters at Katoomba which is a UNESCO site near where I used to live (and would visit often bushwalking). Whilst there we overhead another couple saying "Oh we thought it was going to be like the Grand Canyon, but it's nothing like the Grand Canyon"....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

IMG_1378.jpeg

What a great idea.  David said they do it because it is less expensive then sending someone out and picking up all the change.

My husband who works for Telstra says they have a LOT less phones to fix now that they are free as no one is breaking into them to get the money out.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I love your pics, Jim!  DH has said more than once that he really has no desire to cruise Australia. He says he’s “heard” it’s like the US only on the other side of the world. I’ve shown him some of your pics. I think I’m seeing a crack in his armor!!  So thank you!

🤣🤣my hubby once asked why did I want to go on a  "Round the Horn" cruise, it'll be just like New Zealand he said except on the other side of the Pacific. Yes some of the scenery was similar, but we don't speak Spanish in NZ, eat the same food or have the same history. He loved it.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Redking said:

🤣🤣my hubby once asked why did I want to go on a  "Round the Horn" cruise, it'll be just like New Zealand he said except on the other side of the Pacific. Yes some of the scenery was similar, but we don't speak Spanish in NZ, eat the same food or have the same history. He loved it.

I'm reading David Grann's "The Wager".  I may never think about Cape Horn the same way again.  I've done it 3 times, and the scenery was spectacular, and much better in a ship with stabilizers etc.

• Like 4

Sorry I've fallen behind and I think I am two pages in reading comments from all of you.   With two sea days ahead I will surly get caught up.

Today was Airlie Beach

Airlie Beach is a coastal locality and resort town in the Whitsunday Region of Queensland, Australia. In the 2016 census, Airlie Beach had a population of 1,208 people.

DJI_0155-1-1536x864.thumb.jpg.bbf5ac39f44e60fed8c7273eb2006d3c.jpg

It is Best known for incredible Scuba,  High End Resorts and Fun Fun Fun

Sorry no underwater pictures -  Just a stock teaser.

Diving-GBR-1-2048x1359.thumb.jpg.76f9f427652d663039f7e00eb2cfc921.jpg

We were just aboard at 5:30PM after bobbing on a tender for over an hour... More tomorrow I am due for Cocktails in Retreat in 2 minutes.

• Like 14

9 hours ago, FeebeeH said:

For my 60th birthday I stayed at Lillianfels in the Blue Mountains with my husband, we visited the Three Sisters at Katoomba which is a UNESCO site near where I used to live (and would visit often bushwalking). Whilst there we overhead another couple saying "Oh we thought it was going to be like the Grand Canyon, but it's nothing like the Grand Canyon"....

We stayed at Lillianfels on our honeymoon a while back.  We were cleaning out a closet last month and I found the red Lillianfels polo-style shirt I bought on that trip....and it almost fits....almost...😇

All of the Blue Mountain region was just gorgeous.  We hired a guide for a day-long private tour so we got to see a lot of the area.  We picked up some hand-carved wookwork from Leura that we still have on display at home.  Hope your birthday getaway was a good one.  We loved Sydney too!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I’m not sure if it just this ship or whether they have mad an unannounced change.  The MD has advised us we can order anything from Blu and MDR in addition to the anytime. 

That would be good news if they continue this when we board.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Redking said:

We are doing Cape Horn cruise in 2025 and Aus, NZ in January. Both have been on our bucket list. We have been all over Europe and the Med, and to almost every island in the Caribbean so we needed other lands and countries to explore.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting list of upcoming cruises Terry

Upcoming cruises:

Jan, 13 , 2024 Celebrity Edge Retreat 12 nights New Zealand Sky Suite followed by:

Jan 25, 2024 Celebrity Edge Retreat 10 nights Australia Great Barrier Reef cruise

August 20, 2024 HAL Volendam 11 day Boston to Montreal w/CO

March 6, 2025, Oceania Marina 18 nights Santiago to Buenos Ares 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theopup said:

Very interesting list of upcoming cruises Terry

Upcoming cruises:

Jan, 13 , 2024 Celebrity Edge Retreat 12 nights New Zealand Sky Suite followed by:

Jan 25, 2024 Celebrity Edge Retreat 10 nights Australia Great Barrier Reef cruise

August 20, 2024 HAL Volendam 11 day Boston to Montreal w/CO

March 6, 2025, Oceania Marina 18 nights Santiago to Buenos Ares 

They are all SKI vacations too. SKI=Spending the Kids Inheritance.  LOL

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I’m not sure if it just this ship or whether they have mad an unannounced change.  The MD has advised us we can order anything from Blu and MDR in addition to the anytime. 

I hope this becomes an Edge Class standard.  Not being able to order from the full MDR  menu was the biggest negative when cruising in the Retreat on the Edge.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We are doing Cape Horn cruise in 2025 and Aus, NZ in January. Both have been on our bucket list. We have been all over Europe and the Med, and to almost every island in the Caribbean so we needed other lands and countries to explore.

Enjoy. We loved it, and NZ but I'm slightly biased on that one. Lived in Oz for 19 years in Brisbane and had many a happy holiday in Qld. Only ever cruised in and out of Sydney. I say only, it's a pretty iconic harbour to cruise from/to.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sorry I've fallen behind and I think I am two pages in reading comments from all of you.   With two sea days ahead I will surly get caught up.

Today was Airlie Beach

Airlie Beach is a coastal locality and resort town in the Whitsunday Region of Queensland, Australia. In the 2016 census, Airlie Beach had a population of 1,208 people.

DJI_0155-1-1536x864.thumb.jpg.bbf5ac39f44e60fed8c7273eb2006d3c.jpg

It is Best known for incredible Scuba,  High End Resorts and Fun Fun Fun

Sorry no underwater pictures -  Just a stock teaser.

Diving-GBR-1-2048x1359.thumb.jpg.76f9f427652d663039f7e00eb2cfc921.jpg

We were just aboard at 5:30PM after bobbing on a tender for over an hour... More tomorrow I am due for Cocktails in Retreat in 2 minutes.

Jim, somehow I cannot vision you providing “surly” replies or comments 😁. Darn auto correct!

We just landed in Barcelona this evening. We will be here, and the surrounding cities, until after Christmas with a Celebrity cruise in the mix.

Continue your enjoyment and catching up with friends on your current cruise. Priceless….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/5/2023 at 4:05 PM, cachouonacruise said:

@Jim_Iain

Thank-you again, for all the pictures and shared information. It is really enjoyable to follow you! 

One picture raised a question in my mind: your group picture on Evening Chic (beautiful picture, by the way).

My question is, regarding Celebrity Evening Chic.

Yes, I know, that it can range quite a bit, from business casual to fully formal.

This said, in the Caribbean for example, I found most people tended to dress more on the casual side of the dressing code. However, in Europe, the trend was a little more towards the formal side.

In short, how do most passengers dress, on Evening Chic nights in Australia and New-Zealand? ( More like the Caribbean? Europe? Or somewhere in between? )

P.s. best wishes for a continued good time on your cruise! 

I may have to fudge a bit on this one because this cruise is not representative of the norm.   Possibly because it's the fact that it's part of the World Cruise and we are having 4 Chic nights and part because I would say is about 50/50 American / Australian.   

The First chic nighgt was much more dressy than we normally see in  Caribbean Europe.    Saying that it was less  dressy than the Old Day.    I saw possibly 10% in Formal -  Including women in long gowns and men in Tux and even Kilts (saw 3).

The next two the dress has been more and more casual.   The hot weather may also be a driving factor.   As you can see Iain and I dropped the Bow Ties but David and Robert wore dinner jackets,  Bow Ties and Tux shirts.    We all enjoy dressing and I think David brought 3 jackets.  Knowing him if he knew it was 4 Chic nights he would have brought a 4th. 

Will be interesting to see  the dress tonight as it with be the 4th Chic night.

The next cruise the demographics will totally change.   1.   It is the inaugural cruise of Edge in the Australia Market and Captain Matt has indicated there will a fire boat display on arrival at 5is as well as news helicopters etc.   Also they are expecting families with about 300+ kids.    Thus the mix may be 80%  Australian and 20% Americans.

Even on European Cruises of late,  90+ percent dress resort casual and then spattering of Kilts, Mostly Business Suites on men and a spattering of tux.   You see maybe 10% in fabulous floor length dress and Lots of Cocktail dress. 

The intent of Chic is for you to define your level of elegance instead of having a set of rules like Cunard.   This isn't a slam to Cunard as we will be sailing them for the first time next year and love Black Tie.    I chuckle when I read their board that the debate is whether it is acceptable for a man to remove his jacket if hot climate while dancing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The intent of Chic is for you to define your level of elegance instead of having a set of rules like Cunard.   This isn't a slam to Cunard as we will be sailing them for the first time next year and love Black Tie.    I chuckle when I read their board that the debate is whether it is acceptable for a man to remove his jacket if hot climate while dancing. 

Somehow I think you two will find a way to bring some colour/style to black tie formal.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 9:03 PM, Stem to Stern said:

That is quite a shipload of OBC.  
Well played, Jim.

Well wasn't all OBC.    I did hit a couple jackpot.    Since I finally hit Onyx I don't think they lock me out of my Refundable OBC.    I like to bledd it off or withdraw at front desk last day of cruise.

I know it comes back as a credit on my CC but then I loose 3X Chase Sapphire points.  

• Like 4