Is this routine?

klfrodo

Furniture replacement.

The last 2 sailings on Royal, my wife and I have returned to our cabin mid-day to find our cabin door open 4 or 5 crew members inside our cabin to include the cabin steward. Both times, they were replacing the couch. Nothing wrong with the old couch that we were aware of.

The first time, I must admit, I was upset and voiced my concern to the crew members, the cabin steward, Guest Services, and the Director of Hotel Services. I was upset not because they were replacing the couch. I was upset for the lack of communications. We could easily have been left a note the evening before that this was going to happen.

What was the result? The low man on the totem pole (cabin steward) got in trouble. When I realized this was happening, I lit into the Director of Hotel Services and told them that I felt this was a leadership and communications problem, not a cabin steward problem.

Fast forward to our recent Anthem cruise out of Southampton, same thing happened again and have no clue why. It wasn't like the old couch either time was broken, torn, or dirty.

22 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Furniture replacement.

The last 2 sailings on Royal, my wife and I have returned to our cabin mid-day to find our cabin door open 4 or 5 crew members inside our cabin to include the cabin steward. Both times, they were replacing the couch. Nothing wrong with the old couch that we were aware of.

The first time, I must admit, I was upset and voiced my concern to the crew members, the cabin steward, Guest Services, and the Director of Hotel Services. I was upset not because they were replacing the couch. I was upset for the lack of communications. We could easily have been left a note the evening before that this was going to happen.

What was the result? The low man on the totem pole (cabin steward) got in trouble. When I realized this was happening, I lit into the Director of Hotel Services and told them that I felt this was a leadership and communications problem, not a cabin steward problem.

Fast forward to our recent Anthem cruise out of Southampton, same thing happened again and have no clue why. It wasn't like the old couch either time was broken, torn, or dirty.

They don't always know when replacement will happen.  It's when there is time/manpower to do so.  The fact your steward was with them as he has access to your room should have made you more comfortable.  As for "why" they replace when they do, it's a maintenance schedule they follow and what they're doing is removing them, reupholstering or deep cleaning them and putting them in a cabin so you don't go without a sofa.  It's not like they have down time between cruises.   I also don't get why you were so upset that you had to complain.  It's not like a single individual was in your cabin going through your things.  Hotels do the same thing sometimes.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Furniture replacement.

Well it is possible it WAS a cabin steward problem.  He was informed, but he didn't inform you.  

38 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I've had maintenance in my room before without knowing beforehand. I didn't find it a big deal. Though for a legit maintenance issue that the steward noticed, not for replacing a couch.

Agree, same, Maintenance done many times in my Cabin, tighten screws, replace Balcony railings, checking air flow, never aware ahead of time

• Like 2

Also, people forget, while you are "renting" the room for the cruise, it still belongs to the cruise line.  Your personal items are yours, but the furnishings, etc belong to Royal.  The only reason they notify people about window/balcony cleaning is because they're trying to protect your personal belongings, not because they need your permission.  We had our sink faucet replaced on Jewel a couple of weeks ago because the steward turned it in for dripping.  We weren't there nor were we "warned" they were coming in.  They did the maintenance that the steward requested.  BTW, we didn't really notice the drip as it wasn't making any noise.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

While I respect most people's feedback, I'm still going to disagree.

Whether staying in a hotel, a condo, a resort, an apartment, an Air B&B, or a ship stateroom, while I'm staying in these locations, I should have a sense of safety and security as if I were in my own home.

There is implied consent that housekeeping will be in and out. There is no implied consent for other people to be entering my space without some form of notification. Hotels notify you. Apartment complexes notify you. Resort management notifies you. It's not too much to ask that cruise ships notify you.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Whether staying in a hotel, a condo, a resort, an apartment, an Air B&B, or a ship stateroom, while I'm staying in these locations, I should have a sense of safety and security as if I were in my own home.

There is implied consent that housekeeping will be in and out. There is no implied consent for other people to be entering my space without some form of notification. Hotels notify you. Apartment complexes notify you. Resort management notifies you. It's not too much to ask that cruise ships notify you.

Well my son has had maintenance come in his apartment without him knowing because there was a service request. He's been there for 5 yrs. He didn't light into anyone😆. He was just glad his dog didn't go nuts.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Actually, apartments and hotels do have your consent to enter your rooms without permission if it's something that needs done.  Guessing if you read your cruise contract, you're giving consent also.  What about your "safety and security" was put at risk?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

There is no implied consent for other people to be entering my space without some form of notification.

You are correct that there is no implied consent for this, there is specified consent in the ticket contract that the cruise line can search your cabin and belongings, both without your notice or approval, or even your presence.  You gave them the right to enter your cabin at any time by paying the cruise fare which includes acknowledging the ticket contract.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I had crew in my cabin for 3 days on allure and my cabin steward wasnt there watching my stuff. 3rd day i was out on my balcony and came in to 3 crew in my cabin. I was thinking good thing I was fully dressed. I didnt hear them come in.

Water was leaking in the hall next to my bathroom. No notice and no cabin steward. I think it was nice your steward was there. 

32 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I had crew in my cabin for 3 days on allure and my cabin steward wasnt there watching my stuff. 3rd day i was out on my balcony and came in to 3 crew in my cabin. I was thinking good thing I was fully dressed. I didnt hear them come in.

Water was leaking in the hall next to my bathroom. No notice and no cabin steward. I think it was nice your steward was there. 

Maintenance typically has more access (all crew and pax cabins) than cabin stewards (limited to a section of cabins).  When I worked for NCL, we left a notice that maintenance had been there, after the fact.  But, the door records all the key swipes, so there is a record of who and when.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Furniture replacement.

Wow, you are hard on sofas and Hotel Directors! Chill, you are on a cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to side with the OP on this. There is no reason they can't notify the occupants of the cabin that they will be in the cabin for maintenance issues. I don't think they need to ask for permission, but they should make the notify as a courtesy to the guest that is staying there.

• Like 1