Your cost of "non-included" dining is going up...

cruisedoctor

3 minutes ago, tserface said:

It sounds like this is what they are doing.  It's a little sneaky, but, basically, they are removing the gratuity from the cover charge and adding it after the fact.  That, effectively, removes the gratuity from the specialty restaurant price and races the price by $6/pp.  Then they add 18% service charge on top of that $39.

So, they did raise the price of the specialty dinners, by around 36%, they're just being kind of sneaky about it.

Yep, same reason many things have a fee now, so they can "maintain a price of something", yet make a bunch more while doing it, in this case, guised as a gratuity.  Sneaky marketing that most people won't even notice.

5 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Yep, same reason many things have a fee now, so they can "maintain a price of something", yet make a bunch more while doing it, in this case, guised as a gratuity.  Sneaky marketing that most people won't even notice.

To make things worse, lots of people will sort of not notice and still feel obligated to leave a cash tip as well.  We've always done that in the past if the service was good; even knowing the gratuity was included in the price.  We would often leave more than 18% as well.  The last time we were at Sabatini's it cost $25 each and we gave the server a $10 cash tip at the end because the food and service were excellent. 

We will probably be less inclined to do that if we see "Service Charge" as a line item on the bill.  It doesn't really matter to them because they will always be getting the 18% (Princess can divvy this how they please) and I think the servers used to get the cash tips directly.  It seems to me like this is going to affect the servers and benefit Princess.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, tserface said:

It sounds like this is what they are doing.  It's a little sneaky, but, basically, they are removing the gratuity from the cover charge and adding it after the fact.  That, effectively, removes the gratuity from the specialty restaurant price and raises the price by $6/pp.  Then they add 18% service charge on top of that $39.

So, they did raise the price of the specialty dinners, by around 36%, they're just being kind of sneaky about it.

They calling it a service charge makes it really sneaky.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Anytime Princess makes the slightest change, you know it's not in your favor even if they spell it out for you. 

Sort of like a political advertisements. You can't trust anyone. 

• Like 3

Last night on the Sapphire my friends were charged $39 + 18% = $46.02 for each dinner they had in Crown grill with me. Funny thing is I don’t see where this is communicated.  When booking on DMW the charge shows as $39 and there is no fine print about the surcharge. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Last night on the Sapphire my friends were charged $39 + 18% = $46.02 for each dinner they had in Crown grill with me. Funny thing is I don’t see where this is communicated.  When booking on DMW the charge shows as $39 and there is no fine print about the surcharge. 

I wonder,  are they just assuming that since every paid food and drink incurs the 18%, that they don't need to announce it and just let it become assumed as a normal tip item?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

It's incredible to hear they just made this change without letting anyone know.  If it hadn't been posted here, I never would have known.  

It really be interesting to see what happens for those of us who booked and paid prior to sailing.  

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I wonder,  are they just assuming that since every paid food and drink incurs the 18%, that they don't need to announce it and just let it become assumed as a normal tip item?

If you refer to my original post on this thread, Princess did include a notice about this "new" 18% service charge at the bottom of their weekly newsletter to the travel agent community.  Per some fine print information, that used to be found on the Princess website the $39 surcharge they have been charging at the Crown Grill, up to this point, INCLUDED a 17% gratuity.  That is no longer there.

So, if they are continuing to charge $39 for dining at Crown Grill, and now adding on an additional 18%  service charge, they are in effect pocketing the 17% that used to supposedly go to the wait staff as additional profit for them.  And, passengers are now paying 18% more to eat there, to pay the waitstaff.

Why would Princess want to call attention to the fact that it will cost you more to dine in a specialty restaurant?  

When McDonalds, Wendy's, or Burger King raises their prices, that isn't put out in a press notice either.  Life has always been "buyer beware".

• Like 6

5 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Have they not printed new menus to indicate the pricing change?  And neither the MD/Host nor waiter mentioned it?  Not good, but most people wouldn't just leave I suppose.

4 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

They might, but it is very poor form since it has been known for years that the advertised price is set and included gratuity.

4 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

It's incredible to hear they just made this change without letting anyone know.  If it hadn't been posted here, I never would have known.  

It really be interesting to see what happens for those of us who booked and paid prior to sailing.  

Seems like typical Princess move.  They almost never communicate bad news unless forced to.  A CG meal has gone from $33.33 to $39 now.  Up 17% not long after an increase from $29.06.  The gratuity used to be 17% (bringing it to $39 and $34).  Now gratuity is 18%, bringing total cost to $46.02.  Up $7 in total from most recent price.

Who knows why they didn't just bump the price to $46/pp and keep the scheme the same.  I suppose it is consistent if they expose and report all gratuities.  But to simply remove menus from the website and say nothing is poor form for sure.

What happens is the SD restaurant staff are going to get the brunt of guest complaints when they are surprised by a new charge.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, dog said:

I received my refund for Crown Grill today $43 US pp.

I booked it in August at $39 US pp.

3 hours ago, dog said:

I received my refund for Sabatini's- $34.16 US pp. cancelled mid October.

booked Aug for $35 US pp.

Are you scratching your head over their math?

In the first case, the new cost is $46.02/pp, so it isn't that.  Wonder why in first case you got $4 more and in second case $0.84 less?  Very strange, but looks like you are ahead on this one.

• Haha 1

On the Sky now and the alternative restaurants all have language on the bottom of their menus that they add 18% to everything including cover charge a d add on items.  So the $39 meal is actually $39 + 18%.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

Why would Princess want to call attention to the fact that it will cost you more to dine in a specialty restaurant?  

When McDonalds, Wendy's, or Burger King raises their prices, that isn't put out in a press notice either.  Life has always been "buyer beware".

Haven't been to a fast food restaurant in a while, but prices usually are visible,and people know tax is included.

I would assume they would at least post it on the menu outside the restaurant or at least on the menu itself.

I wonder if anyone would find out about it after sitting down and then get up and leave?

We’ve met people who go to the Crown  Grill most nights of their cruise, and I doubt this upchange will stop them. We do specialty dining about 4+ times per cruise and I don’t think this will make us stop either. My “kids” won’t be getting the drink packages because they don’t drink alcohol so that’s a change for us with these new prices, but it won’t curb their appetites. Just means cruising Princess costs more now for casual dining, specialty dining and experience in the ship. 

That said, I’m thankful for Cruise Critic because if I didn’t find this out until cruising time I’d be very unhappy. At least now I can prepare. This price up charge will factor into the next cruise and cruise line my family and I choose to cruise with. It’s no longer just Princess we will look at, but that’s ok, variety is good for everyone.  I’m enjoying mixing it up. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Haven't been to a fast food restaurant in a while, but prices usually are visible,and people know tax is included.

I would assume they would at least post it on the menu outside the restaurant or at least on the menu itself.

I wonder if anyone would find out about it after sitting down and then get up and leave?

I’d be surprised if people would actually get up and leave but I can imagine a lot of unhappy customers with the way this is being rolled out 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

If you refer to my original post on this thread, Princess did include a notice about this "new" 18% service charge at the bottom of their weekly newsletter to the travel agent community.  Per some fine print information, that used to be found on the Princess website the $39 surcharge they have been charging at the Crown Grill, up to this point, INCLUDED a 17% gratuity.  That is no longer there.

They did change the wording on part of the website, but not everywhere.  If you select "Help", "Onboard FAQ", "Crew Appreciation", then "Crew Appreciation and Service Charge Policy" you will still find this:

Crew Appreciation and Service Charge Policy

The “Crew Appreciation” is a daily amount for each guest that will be automatically added to your onboard account for your convenience, to recognize the efforts of a wide variety of crewmembers who contribute to the experiences of all our guests.  The crewmembers eligible to receive these funds work in various departments, many of whom rotate among different ships, throughout our fleet of ships. The amount of the Crew Appreciation will be based on stateroom category, as set out below:

Stateroom Category Daily amount per guest
Interior, Oceanview and Balcony US $16
Mini-Suite and Reserve Collection US $17
Suites US $18

We pride ourselves on excellent guest satisfaction and our onboard team is available to immediately address any concerns you may have about your cruise. In the unlikely event you remain dissatisfied for any reason, the Crew Appreciation is subject to adjustment, at your discretion, at any time during the cruise up to the time you settle your onboard account prior to disembarkation. If you do not choose to adjust this daily charge while on board, your payment becomes final and nonrefundable.

A nonrefundable Service Charge of 17% - 18% of purchase will be automatically added to optional purchases of beverage packages, drinks, dining room and specialty dining, private group functions, and other elected products, services or amenities provided to guests that are not included in the Cruise Fare.  The Service Charge amount is based upon the service/product purchased and is applied as follows:

Service/Product Service Charge
Specialty Dining 17% (included in total cover charge)
Specialty Food Items 17% (included in total item charge)
Drink Packages 18%
Drinks 18%
Corkage Fee 18% (included in total charge)
Private Group Functions 18% (of total cost)
Spa Services* 18%

* Service Charge payments for spa services are not pooled for the fleet.

If you pre-paid the Crew Appreciation and/or Service Charge as part of an all-inclusive or other applicable package: (i) the payments are bundled into your fare; (ii) the payments are nonrefundable from the time of purchase, except as part of the cruise fare, which refund shall be provided in accordance with our cancelation policy; and (iii) no additional amount will be added to your onboard account for the Crew Appreciation or for those Service Charges covered by such package.

All of the Crew Appreciation and Service Charge payments made by all guests on all ships in our fleet are pooled, net of credit card transaction fees. The pooled funds are distributed throughout the year in the form of compensation, including bonuses, to crewmembers fleetwide who interact directly with guests and/or behind the scenes throughout every cruise, including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas.

We have Princess Plus package which includes Crew Appreciation and 2 Casual Dining meals.  
Do we now have to pay the extra surcharge for Casual Dining or does this surcharge only applies to Speciality Dining? 

Guest Snaxmuppet
Just now, DHP1 said:

We have Princess Plus package which includes Crew Appreciation and 2 Casual Dining meals.  
Do we now have to pay the extra surcharge for Casual Dining or does this surcharge only applies to Speciality Dining? 

The way I understand it is that if it is included in the package (as 2 casual dining meals are) then there is no gratuity to pay. But after your included meals, if you go again and pay, then you will be charged gratuity.

You do not pay gratuity on the included meals.

On 12/1/2023 at 2:21 PM, Catchum said:

beer to take off the ship (subject to local regulations). A cocktail when you get back, a glass of fizz whilst dressing for dinner, wine with dinner, a night cap and double wine to put in your rum runner for emergency use only. 

I would probably die. 🙂

We've just sailed with an alcohol package for the very first time. I mean - it was $90 pp for a 7 day cruise, including wifi, so it was really a no brainer, since it included specialty coffee, soda and bottled water which are more my thing on a cruise. Since we don't drink at all, I found that I could only handle 2 alcoholic drinks a day - it would hardly justify buying a package for $50+ a day.

2 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

The way I understand it is that if it is included in the package (as 2 casual dining meals are) then there is no gratuity to pay. But after your included meals, if you go again and pay, then you will be charged gratuity.

You do not pay gratuity on the included meals.

Maybe I'm not understanding this right.

First, if I read the above inserted policy correctly, for the charged meals, it is not a gratuity, but a service charge, which can't be refused. An (auto)gratuity can be tacitly accepted, adjusted or refused, unless bought as part of a package. Servers in the specialty restaurants, in our experience, also work in the buffet and are covered by the auto-gratuity, or if you prefer, Crew Appreciation.

Since paying Crew Appreciation is the default, package or not, those who choose the Standard plan, pay 17% more for the same meal. Since neither of us drink, we don't buy a plan. I think we'll pass on specialty dining in the future.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

This is my question too. We sail next month and prepaid for CG. So at the end of our meal we're going to get a bill for the 18%?

At this point I'd consider switching to Ultimate Balcony Dinner or whatever they're calling it these days. The money is about the same now and we'd get more bang for our buck (pictures, flowers, etc).

• Like 2

We have not been charged anything for our package included meals.  I have also been a little surprised that almost all the reservations have been sold out for all the specialty restaurants during our 2 weeks on the sky.  We were aboard early in Ft Lauderdale and were able to snag 2 Sabatinis. 2 Rudy’s Catch and 1 Crown Grill, but they were all quickly gone.  Keep in mind all of our reservations are late (after 8).  Last night we were able to dine in the Crown Grill without a reservation, but that was because the nice manager said he could seat us if we waited to 8.45.  

The ship is full and getting reservations reflects the large crowd.  We finished dinner in the Crown Grill around 10:30 which is fine for us, but many would not be happy.

Hank

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We finished dinner in the Crown Grill around 10:30 which is fine for us, but many would not be happy.

That would be way too late for us, we like to eat much earlier than that. I'd probably be ready for a late night snack at that point 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

That would be way too late for us, we like to eat much earlier than that. I'd probably be ready for a late night snack at that point 🙂

The problem is getting into these venues between 5:30 and 8.  If you wait until after you board to make a reservation it might be near impossible.  Many here are on back to backs (including us) so they can reserve their 2nd week before you board for that first week.  

The venue managers do try to squeeze folks in (without reservations) but that involves luck and can often mean dining late.  In this cruise even the 8:40 slots are fully booked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1