Dead Battery after cruise

BAYA

I'm posting this as a public service 🙂 We just returned from an 8-night cruise to find my car's battery totally dead. Neither of our two vehicles had jumper cables and no one departing the garage stopped to offer a jump start. AAA was going to be a very long wait (at least an hour when I called for service). Luckily my BIL walked to the pay-booth and they directed him to the guy who walks around the garage with a portable device for jump-starting cars. By then we were drenched in sweat and had been waiting for 30 minutes or so to get a jump-start.

This dead battery issue is apparently a common problem. My lesson-learned is to buy jumper cables and keep them in my car when I cruise. I ended up needing a new battery (old one would not hold a charge). Even with a new battery I plan to carry the jumper cables--batteries do fail sometimes!

P.S. We were in the Palm Garage at Port Everglades.

Edited by BAYA
added info
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BAYA said:

This dead battery issue is apparently a common problem. My lesson-learned is to buy jumper cables and keep them in my car when I cruise.

It is a very common issue, especially with newer model cars. Dealers will tell you not to go longer than 7 days without starting, but I have gone 12 days with a new Lexus. That said, when parking for a cruise, I do have a portable jump starter charger in the car, just in case.  HALO makes a nice small one for around $100 . 

The issue is all the background computer programs, which keep running, even though the car is turned off. This allows the lights to turn on and doors to unlock when you walk up to the car, for example 

That background running does drain the battery after a time

Your aggravation may help someone in the future, though. I never knew there was a traveling battery guy.  Very industrious on his part. 

Thanks for posting. 

Edited by EatonDoolittle

well before travelling make sure  your battery is in good condition

We parked  for over a month  while cruising    no problem then drove  all the way home  no issues

if your battery is more than 6 yrs old  keep a close eye on  it  have it checked out 

JMO

7 hours ago, nhraformula00 said:

This is better than cables. Keep it in trunk and it stays charged for 6 months. Can be recharged in a few hours with a usb cable. Will start your car. Do not need another car like cables.

Thanks for this info to all who recommended I buy a jump-start box. Since I usually cruise as a family with two vehicles, the jump start would have been from my BIL's truck if we had the cables. I do like the idea of the box, though.

23 hours ago, LHT28 said:

well before travelling make sure  your battery is in good condition

We parked  for over a month  while cruising    no problem then drove  all the way home  no issues

if your battery is more than 6 yrs old  keep a close eye on  it  have it checked out 

JMO

Sound advice. Thanks. Since moving to FL 7 years ago I've learned that the heat causes batteries to not last as long as up north. My battery was 4 years old. My sister has the same car as mine, same age (2019), and her battery only lasted 3 years.

... and don't get me started on what the FL hot roads do to tires! I had to replace my tires with only about 40,000 miles on them and was told to blame it on the heat in FL. The car is garaged at home but that makes no difference. ... but I digress. 😣

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BAYA said:

Sound advice. Thanks. Since moving to FL 7 years ago I've learned that the heat causes batteries to not last as long as up north. My battery was 4 years old. My sister has the same car as mine, same age (2019), and her battery only lasted 3 years.

... and don't get me started on what the FL hot roads do to tires! I had to replace my tires with only about 40,000 miles on them and was told to blame it on the heat in FL. The car is garaged at home but that makes no difference. ... but I digress. 😣

You can see many police cars with the hoods propped open at ports to save the battery

On 12/7/2023 at 7:26 AM, BAYA said:

I'm posting this as a public service 🙂 We just returned from an 8-night cruise to find my car's battery totally dead. Neither of our two vehicles had jumper cables and no one departing the garage stopped to offer a jump start. AAA was going to be a very long wait (at least an hour when I called for service). Luckily my BIL walked to the pay-booth and they directed him to the guy who walks around the garage with a portable device for jump-starting cars. By then we were drenched in sweat and had been waiting for 30 minutes or so to get a jump-start.

This dead battery issue is apparently a common problem. My lesson-learned is to buy jumper cables and keep them in my car when I cruise. I ended up needing a new battery (old one would not hold a charge). Even with a new battery I plan to carry the jumper cables--batteries do fail sometimes!

P.S. We were in the Palm Garage at Port Everglades.

Bought new 2015 Mazda. I bought jumper cables same week i bought the car. Put the cables in the trunk.
4 years later, battery died. Manual key in key Fob unlocked driver's door but the trunk door can only be opened via electronic button. Since battery is dead, it doesnt work. There's no key hole for the trunk.

Had to pull down the back seat to get to the trunk to get to the jumper cables.

I then bought a lithium battery jumper about the size of 2 deck of cards side by side for $20 on Amazon. Charged it and placed it under the driver's seat.

A year later, I needed it. Power on the jumper was only 3 out of 5 bars but jumped my car on 1st try.

Since then, i've replaced my battery and make it a point to charge the jumper twice a year.

Edited by fstuff1

11 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

I then bought a lithium battery jumper about the size of 2 deck of cards side by side for $20 on Amazon. Charged it and placed it under the driver's seat.

A year later, I needed it. Power on the jumper was only 3 out of 5 bars but jumped my car on 1st try.

Fantastic tip. Any chance you can share a link to the exact little jumper on Amazon that you bought? I'm thinking of giving it to myself for Christmas. 😊

41 minutes ago, BAYA said:

Fantastic tip. Any chance you can share a link to the exact little jumper on Amazon that you bought? I'm thinking of giving it to myself for Christmas. 😊

this was pre-covid.

i just checked and item is no longer sold.

Looked similar to this:
image.png.d86f8d0f3c859ec59abd8a1460b9e3aa.png

edit:

there might be a type now that plugs into your cigarette lighter instead of directly onto your car battery.

Edited by fstuff1

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

this was pre-covid.

Looked similar to this:

edit:

there might be a type now that plugs into your cigarette lighter instead of directly onto your car battery.

Thanks @fstuff1

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

this was pre-covid.

Looked similar to this:

edit:

This is the one I mentioned a few posts back. Made by HALO.

You can get basic one for about $100, but if you live in a storm prone area,  you can get a better model with USB, regular plug (so you can make coffee or plug in a lamp) and even an air compressor for flat tires. 

Amazon and QVC have them. I charge it up in the house a few times a year, it holds a charge very well. 

43 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

You can get basic one for about $100, but if you live in a storm prone area,  you can get a better model with USB, regular plug (so you can make coffee or plug in a lamp) and even an air compressor for flat tires. 

Amazon and QVC have them. I charge it up in the house a few times a year, it holds a charge very well. 

These pocket size jumpers now have a Plug for coffee or lamp? :classic_ohmy:

Wait.. air compressor?

I think you're talking about the old big heavy jumpers that have a lead acid battery and is about a foot tall.

The one in my pic has a lithium battery like in Tesla's and fits in my coat pocket.

Edited by fstuff1

Here's mine - 5 or so years old, has the jumper cables, which I have used several times. I don't know what kind of battery it is, I just recharge in the wall as mentioned.  Measures 7" x 3.5" X 1", size of a paperback book. 

No air compressor, but I have seen the newer ones advertised recently, which do have that feature. Maybe a bit bigger, don't know.  Jumper cables plug into it under the little white cap (loosened for photo) , probably also where  an air compressor hose would plug in. 

Oh, and a light on the opposite end. 

image.thumb.png.f939f038b707f7b7142ceb712e6ad2d8.png

image.thumb.png.af5320123e80cd6fa58e6b992328f6e9.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Here's mine - 5 or so years old, has the jumper cables, which I have used several times. I don't know what kind of battery it is, I just recharge in the wall as mentioned.  Measures 7" x 3.5" X 1", size of a paperback book. 

No air compressor, but I have seen the newer ones advertised recently, which do have that feature. Maybe a bit bigger, don't know.  Jumper cables plug into it under the little white cap (loosened for photo) , probably also where  an air compressor hose would plug in. 

Oh, and a light on the opposite end. 

image.thumb.png.f939f038b707f7b7142ceb712e6ad2d8.png

image.thumb.png.af5320123e80cd6fa58e6b992328f6e9.png

very nice. a 120v plug gives alot of flexibility!

20 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

OMG you sold me at "make coffee". 🤣 

I do live in FL with hurricane power outages an occasional experience. After moving to FL in 2016 the power outage from our first hurricane left this caffeine addict begging for coffee from a neighbor with a generator. 

On 12/7/2023 at 9:38 AM, EatonDoolittle said:

It is a very common issue, especially with newer model cars. Dealers will tell you not to go longer than 7 days without starting, but I have gone 12 days with a new Lexus. That said, when parking for a cruise, I do have a portable jump starter charger in the car, just in case.  HALO makes a nice small one for around $100 . 

The issue is all the background computer programs, which keep running, even though the car is turned off. This allows the lights to turn on and doors to unlock when you walk up to the car, for example 

That background running does drain the battery after a time

Your aggravation may help someone in the future, though. I never knew there was a traveling battery guy.  Very industrious on his part. 

Thanks for posting. 

We have a 2021 GMC Denali so a newer suv. We have left it parked for 35 - 40 days at a time without having any battery problems.