14 types of people who should not cruise

ontheweb

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

When I was cruising I was up every morning at 6 ,in the fitness center from 7 to 8 ,then a walk on various decks then MDR breakfast ,then more walks on the ship or on land if in a port.

Exactly this!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

I hasten to add that ocean cruising isnt really for me either - I will stick to river cruising - for some of the reasons listed in article: all inclusive appeals to me rather than add-ons,sea sickness,  I dont like huge crowds and long queues.

Not all cruise lines are "add-on" based.  There are those that are all inclusive to include gratuities, wifi, beverage packages, as well as some to include specialty dining and shore excursions.

And although large cruise ships also mean large passenger volumes, their design allows for many varied venues to mitigate large crowds in many areas and long queues.  In our experience the lines were waiting to enter the MDR and the first to depart the ship in ports of call, in particular when tendering is necessary.

But it certainly is not for everyone and your tastes and preferences are valid. Unfortunately I think the article continues in many of its' points to perpetuate the misperceptions of many about cruising.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, clo said:

I know. And I do feel guilty. Every time I step on a plane or rarely a ship. We were in a waiting room the other day and they had multiple copies of our local newspaper, something I haven't had in MANY years. I miss it but even one thing helps.

I don't feel guilty.  I appreciate advancements but still don't pretend they are not harmful to the environment.   Few things fall into that category.  

22 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Idubs - See my response above to that.  I do not believe cruise ships - in particular the newer ones - are harming the environment nearly as much as the 10's of 1,000's of commercial freighters, tankers, and other similar vessels on the high seas.  The math just doesn't support the environmental harm argument IMO.

Oh, I agree with what you say totally and applaud advancements that are environmentally friendly.  We must recognize that just because cruise ships don't have the same environmental impact as all those other commercial vessels, does not mean they don't have an environmental impact.  And, going off topic, extremists might argue cruise ships, unlike freight carriers, are not a necessity and should be banned.

5 hours ago, clo said:

When people try the justification I just want to slap them. At least tell the truth.

If you are referring to @leaveitallbehind's comments, I'm in agreement with what was said and our respective comments are not at odds with each other.   I won't be slapping anyone over a discussion.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ldubs said:

If you are referring to @leaveitallbehind's comments, I'm in agreement with what was said and our respective comments are not at odds with each other.   I won't be slapping anyone over a discussion.  

No, no. Speaking about those in general who throw that out. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

• Like 2

I'm always curious why people with severe sea sickness chose to cruise. I see threads pop up all the time asking what drugs to take to alleviate sea sickness and I wonder is a trip really worth being drugged up to survive it?

I suppose it is not that different to having to take Malaria tablets at some destinations, though personally I wouldn't be repeating that trip again and again😂

• Like 4

22 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Neither is she. I don't think she ordered a single dessert on our cruise this past summer. She did take one taste of my wonderful hot fudge sundae the last dinner and had a taste of the anniversary cake we were provided on our wedding anniversary.

Sounds like me! And a "taste" of cake would be for politeness only.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I guess that's a compliment both to my DW and you. 😊😊

Oh, I have my weaknesses. For sure. But I'm more into savory than sweet. I.e., I've have seared foie gras at least twice on our two O cruises. Mmmmm.

11 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh, I have my weaknesses. For sure. But I'm more into savory than sweet. I.e., I've have seared foie gras at least twice on our two O cruises. Mmmmm.

Well now you are different. On our first cruise, near the end of it she said "I miss peanut butter and jelly.". She is definitely not a foie gras type of eater.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Well now you are different. On our first cruise, near the end of it she said "I miss peanut butter and jelly.". She is definitely not a foie gras type of eater.

Oh, she hasn't had MINE 🙂 But really I'd rather have mac n cheese than cake 🙂

foie.jpg

"6. You Want to Savor Your Destination" - That's part of the reason why I moved to the DFW area five years ago. I always looked as the cruise destinations as "samplers" for possible longer term trips, and DFW International is a good launching point for those destinations. Items beyond my control put the kibosh on some of those travel plans. 

"8. You'll Freak Without Internet" - As someone who makes their living on the Internet and having gigabit Internet at home, I am prepared to go without for ten days... even if that means I pre-download my movies and audiobooks to my mobile device. The world can survive without me for ten days. 

"9. You Don't Drink" - They have zero-proof drink packages available. I never could understand the appeal of alcohol.

"12. You're Traveling Solo" - One of my main pain points. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Oh, she hasn't had MINE 🙂 But really I'd rather have mac n cheese than cake 🙂

foie.jpg

Um no, even though dessert is not her favorite, she would take cake over mac and cheese. She lives by "cholesterol will not get past her lips". The last time she made mac and cheese, she made me buy fat free cheese. It was disgusting. 😢

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2023 at 11:25 AM, CDNPolar said:

The top one on my list is that you don't drink alcohol.  Why would that be a reason to not cruise?

I agree with you that people who don't drink alcohol can still cruise but I should probably not do it anymore if I for some reason couldn't drink alcohol anymore.

The reason for that is that alcohol is such a big part of the whole cruiseexperience. I love the afternoon Champagne in a lounge and wine with dinner. To spend time on the sundeck without drinking cold beer should be a real waste of time for me. And no, non-alcoholic drinks are NOT the same thing!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Z'Loth said:

"6. You Want to Savor Your Destination" - That's part of the reason why I moved to the DFW area five years ago. I always looked as the cruise destinations as "samplers" for possible longer term trips, and DFW International is a good launching point for those destinations. Items beyond my control put the kibosh on some of those travel plans. 

"8. You'll Freak Without Internet" - As someone who makes their living on the Internet and having gigabit Internet at home, I am prepared to go without for ten days... even if that means I pre-download my movies and audiobooks to my mobile device. The world can survive without me for ten days. 

"9. You Don't Drink" - They have zero-proof drink packages available. I never could understand the appeal of alcohol.

"12. You're Traveling Solo" - One of my main pain points. 

The idea that you shouldn't cruise if you don't drink is ludicrous.  On over 50 cruises I don't think I have ever bought a drink.  I've had a few 'free' champagnes, but normally I don't drink, I just don't get the appeal.  Not a teetotalar, have wine a few times a year, but it's just meh to me.

We manage to have a great time!  I will say we don't take short, party-style cruises, mostly 10 days or longer, but even on 7 day cruises have noticed few problems.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I'm always curious why people with severe sea sickness chose to cruise. I see threads pop up all the time asking what drugs to take to alleviate sea sickness and I wonder is a trip really worth being drugged up to survive it?

I suppose it is not that different to having to take Malaria tablets at some destinations, though personally I wouldn't be repeating that trip again and again😂

I knew someone that suffered from severe motion sickness.  A cruise was out of the question for her.  Maybe some suffer from milder symptoms or only when it is really rough.   Might be some are just worried about motion sickness, so ask about the med's, IDK.  

12 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

The idea that you shouldn't cruise if you don't drink is ludicrous.  On over 50 cruises I don't think I have ever bought a drink.  I've had a few 'free' champagnes, but normally I don't drink, I just don't get the appeal.  Not a teetotalar, have wine a few times a year, but it's just meh to me.

We manage to have a great time!  I will say we don't take short, party-style cruises, mostly 10 days or longer, but even on 7 day cruises have noticed few problems.

Same here except we have mostly been on 7 day cruises. Our longest cruise was this past summer, 11 days.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I agree with you that people who don't drink alcohol can still cruise but I should probably not do it anymore if I for some reason couldn't drink alcohol anymore.

The reason for that is that alcohol is such a big part of the whole cruiseexperience. I love the afternoon Champagne in a lounge and wine with dinner. To spend time on the sundeck without drinking cold beer should be a real waste of time for me. And no, non-alcoholic drinks are NOT the same thing!

Alcohol is a big part of the cruise experience for people who drink.  But it is no part of the cruise experience for people who don't drink.  

• Like 7

18 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I think you should stick to speaking for yourself on this one.  I don't drink and my enjoyment of cruises is not dependent on the consumption of alcohol or alcohol-related activities or pastimes.

• Like 2

We agree with the theme of the article that there are some folks who should not consider taking a cruise (whether it be 3 days or 300 days).  We have met our share of those folks, on cruises, and they were generally quite miserable.  Years ago, we used to try to convince folks that they should try cruising.  We have since become somewhat wiser, and now suggest that some folks just stay on land :).  Not only will they be happier, but many of us who do spend a lot of time on ships will also be happier that they are not aboard :).

Hank

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We agree with the theme of the article that there are some folks who should not consider taking a cruise (whether it be 3 days or 300 days).  We have met our share of those folks, on cruises, and they were generally quite miserable.  Years ago, we used to try to convince folks that they should try cruising.  We have since become somewhat wiser, and now suggest that some folks just stay on land :).  Not only will they be happier, but many of us who do spend a lot of time on ships will also be happier that they are not aboard :).

Hank

Right on Hank!!!!spot on

5 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Alcohol is a big part of the cruise experience for people who drink.  But it is no part of the cruise experience for people who don't drink.  

And I said that people who don't drink can cruise but personally I probably shouldn't.

If I didn't drink alcohol I should probably be boared on a cruise.

• Like 1