New Princess App available

iamaqt2

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have been a victim of Identity Theft.  I am very careful who gets what information.  Why is it mandatory for Princess to force us into giving our financial information to a place I will not patronize?  It should be an optional sign up.  It was before.  

You are correct.  Princess has access to our information.  Doesn’t mean that I have to like that.

Was it optional or did Princess just use the card number you had on file for on board purchases?  I know the process has been around a while, but I have never used the capability on shore.  But I would think it would safer to use Princess’s third party vendor than to charge anything directly with a merchant.

i use Apple Pay when it available as I do not want any merchant to know my credit card information if it is available.

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, nazpaz said:

Friends, no one at boarding or on the ship will ever ask you about the app.  If you have a medallion you will be sent to the Green Line.  If you don't you will be sent to the Blue one.  While on board, no one will ever ask about what the app shows.   You can use the app on board all you want, whether it shows 6/7 or 7/7.  

I can't speak for others, but what you posted has never been my concern or issue  with the app. 

Edited by doghog

It was kind of funny.  We had our medallions attached to the back of our phones using a nifty holder we got on Amazon.  When boarding, or at a port leaving or coming, the officials were always looking for us to have the medallions on the lanyards.  When we would hold our phones up, more than once, there was a split second when I was under the impression that they were about to say, "We don't need to see your phone" - then they would see the medallions.  A few of them commented that that was a great way to carry the medallions.  

22 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Was it optional or did Princess just use the card number you had on file for on board purchases?  I know the process has been around a while, but I have never used the capability on shore.  But I would think it would safer to use Princess’s third party vendor than to charge anything directly with a merchant.

i use Apple Pay when it available as I do not want any merchant to know my credit card information if it is available.

That's why I take a limited amount of cash ashore.  I don't want to have to deal through a third party I know nothing about in order to get a refund on my AMEXcard because of an issue with the merchant.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, nazpaz said:

It was kind of funny.  We had our medallions attached to the back of our phones using a nifty holder we got on Amazon.  When boarding, or at a port leaving or coming, the officials were always looking for us to have the medallions on the lanyards.  When we would hold our phones up, more than once, there was a split second when I was under the impression that they were about to say, "We don't need to see your phone" - then they would see the medallions.  A few of them commented that that was a great way to carry the medallions.  

We never use the lanyards we have them on clips and just keep the in our pockets. Never want to have a visible medallion or any other indication that we are tourists while in port

• Like 4

2 hours ago, doghog said:

Exactly why there shouldn't be a requirement to add CC info for the shoreside account. I refuse to provide info for an account I will not be using. 

count me in also.  Princess needs to make this optional and not mandatory. Problem solved. Everyone happy. 

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, memoak said:

We never use the lanyards we have them on clips and just keep the in our pockets. Never want to have a visible medallion or any other indication that we are tourists while in port

Don’t like the lanyards either.  

I thought I read that the medallions are roughly the size of an Apple air tag, and some people are using air tag holders.

I use these for my AirTags, and thinking about picking some up for the medallions

IMG_6627.jpeg.d8e3cc172e0748be449235c70232663b.jpeg

I may get leather and silicone to see which works best.

IMG_6628.jpeg.b384c3781458070beb5ae9b689998866.jpeg

Anyone used AirTag holders for theirs?

53 minutes ago, memoak said:

I take the lanyard off and put it in my pocket... works like a charm.

• Like 1

I just now opened the new app and checked on the Shoreside Payment method. It had, of course, automagically inserted the same card I used for Onboard Payments. I clicked the three dot menu and selected "Remove Card". It asked me to verify and I did so. This did not delete my Onboard Payment entry.

I only have the old version of Plus and have no desire to pay for shipping so I already have to pick up my Medallions in the port.

Edit: I checked the old app and it doesn't show any Shoreside payment method. I never did enter it there. Of course, I hadn't entered it in the new app either but it "did it for me".

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I just now opened the new app and checked on the Shoreside Payment method. It had, of course, automagically inserted the same card I used for Onboard Payments.

Well now, there's a situation I have not (yet) encountered.  With the Princess app (old and/or new) every day could be a new experience.

3 hours ago, doghog said:

My understanding also.

I can't answer that. All I know is on the new app you won't move to the Green Lane without providing shoreside CC info. I'm 6/7 because I'm listed as the primary CC holder and have refused to enter my CC info for the shoreside requirement and my wife is GL, 7/7 in the new app. We are already in the GL on the old app for our March cruise. I'm assuming (??)  we will be grandfathered and receive our medallions prior to the cruise.

I have no idea if you will regret not using the app onboard. We will not be using the app onboard. Phone will be off and locked in the safe. 

Technically, a guest can go Green Lane with Medallions, regardless of the shoreside CC situation and 6/7.  Put a card in, order Medallions, and then delete the card from shoreside.  Some have been creative in entering old or fake cards or using a useless gift card, etc.

55 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Technically, a guest can go Green Lane with Medallions, regardless of the shoreside CC situation and 6/7.  Put a card in, order Medallions, and then delete the card from shoreside.  Some have been creative in entering old or fake cards or using a useless gift card, etc.

I've also read that. I'm not willing to play that game.

11 minutes ago, doghog said:

I've also read that. I'm not willing to play that game.

To each their own.  At least there is a known work-around.  With what I have been reading lately, I wouldn't want to show up at a busy terminal without Medallions.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Well now, there's a situation I have not (yet) encountered.  With the Princess app (old and/or new) every day could be a new experience.

“Refreshing and New”  🎶  🎵 !!

😉

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

To each their own.  At least there is a known work-around.  With what I have been reading lately, I wouldn't want to show up at a busy terminal without Medallions.

I wonder who suggested that work-around.  Lol. If it works, why not. 

Edited by DHP1
  • Haha 1

We took Sky Princess on December 16 and Emerald Princess on December 23 out of Fort Lauderdale.  Both ships were packed to the gunnels and we checked in about 1100 for each cruise.  I did not not see any significant difference in the processing of pax with medallions compared to pax without except about three minutes extra to pick the medallions up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Exactly what I said. We've never had our Seapass cards for any of our cruises prior tp getting to the embarkation terminal. 

1 hour ago, doghog said:

Exactly what I said. We've never had our Seapass cards for any of our cruises prior tp getting to the embarkation terminal. 

And PCL was the same way as whatever line you refer to (RCL I think?).  Anyway, in those days and earlier Medallion days, there was a separate check-in for Suites and Elites.  Now it's a big jumble it seems and it's like they want to hurt the guests who do not come with Medallions.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I did this and it worked and was easy.  So thanks.  I did use the old app to order medallions for all our other cruises.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

And PCL was the same way as whatever line you refer to (RCL I think?).  Anyway, in those days and earlier Medallion days, there was a separate check-in for Suites and Elites.  Now it's a big jumble it seems and it's like they want to hurt the guests who do not come with Medallions.

And Celebrity. With the old app we have our medallions ordered (Green Lane). It'll be interesting to see if we get them now with the new app mess. This will be our first cruise using the medallions. 

I finally decided to just buy a gift card. Didn’t want to deal with this anymore.  Wasn’t happy my charge info was on shoreside since I never authorized it from past sailings. I added gift card to shoreside & it automatically changed it for all my bookings in the new app & the old app.  I’m just going to use the gift card now & leave $1 on it. 

• Like 1

Let me put it this way, Princess wants you to buy the Plus / Premium regardless it makes sense to you.  If you dont buy it, then Princess STILL wants to gauge you by making you pay $10 for the Medallion sent to you. 

However, this option is not even available to those who live outside US and Canada, nor useful to those who left home long before the cruise, like we did last Fall when they only sent the Medallion 2 weeks before sailing.  We left home a full month before because we had a private land tour in Jordan and Egypt.  Yeah, when we returned home from the long trip, the Medallions were in the pile of mails that were held by the post office (I actually had to do some trick to extend the hold longer than the mandatory 30 days limitation).

Based on several comments here on the recent Caribbean winter cruises that whether you were in the Green lane or the Blue lane, the difference was less than 15 min before you walked to the ship...  In fact if over 60% of the passengers already had the Medallions and only 40% who didn't,  40% of passengers would go thru the formality than 60%, even they had to pick up their Medallions!  So basically this yet another trick on your psychology to justify giving them extra money...

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 1:29 PM, PacnGoNow said:

Was hoping that would open up, once OB.  Did you check

with the OceanFront or IT employee OB?

On 1/17/2024 at 2:28 PM, el zorro said:

I don’t see an area in the new ‘updated’ medallion for Travel Companions. We will be a total of 8 and having us all right there on the previous medallion was very helpful when we cruised beforehand.
Any reason why it’s missing? Or is it there somewhere and I can’t find it?

On 1/17/2024 at 3:40 PM, kamelia said:

My Shipmates is currently located under My Profile in the new app.  You can use locate My Travel Party, but there is not an option for messaging.  There is an icon in the upper right corner to add someone using Find By Name, but I don’t have another name to use to check it out for functionality.

MESSAGING option does still exist!  Once onboard, when you access MedallionNet there is a tab to Free Access of Ocean Concierge.  Go to Account in the upper left corner and that’s where you can see and/or add My Contacts, as well as send Messages.  Still does not generate any prompt to alert your contact that there’s a message waiting, but it does add an icon to the Message tab for them if they are looking at Ocean Concierge on their device.  HTH!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2