Symphony or Odyssey For Caribbean

Looking to book either Symphony of the Seas or Odyssey of the Seas for a Caribbean cruise this spring.  We've been on the Symphony once and Harmony twice and love oasis class ships (only class we've sailed on Royal. Sailed on Carnival Inspiration 15 years ago and despised it). Looking at videos of Odyssey it doesn't seem like there are many outdoor areas as there are on Oasis class ships.

What are everyone's thoughts on Odyssey for a Caribbean cruise.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SanzD said:

Looking to book either Symphony of the Seas or Odyssey of the Seas for a Caribbean cruise this spring.  We've been on the Symphony once and Harmony twice and love oasis class ships (only class we've sailed on Royal. Sailed on Carnival Inspiration 15 years ago and despised it). Looking at videos of Odyssey it doesn't seem like there are many outdoor areas as there are on Oasis class ships.

What are everyone's thoughts on Odyssey for a Caribbean cruise.

We have sailed every class of Royal Ships. 50+ nights on Oasis Class which is now our favorite. We did 7 nights on Ovation and followed with 10 nights on Quantum.  Quantum Class was the most boring sailings we have ever done, ships just feel small and confining with 3 of the 4 dining rooms being ultra Blah.  I am sure there are plenty with the exact opposite view and experience.  I will say Vintages was a great place to hang out.  We are both in our 70s and just love Oasis Class. Were did the Westbound TA on Symphony and had a fantastic trip.

Edited by taglovestocruise

We LOVE this class for sailings out of New Jersey as it has amazing Solarium.

Odyssey's second after Solarium pool is outdoor too, so it is better for Caribbeans if you do not need to sail from colder places.

For sailings out of Florida Oasis class may be better.

• Like 1

We enjoy the solarium, flowrider ( I enjoy watching from the bleachers with a cocktail in hand) and the shows. Just was thinking of trying something new...maybe we will stick with oasis class and try Wonderland this time or a neighborhood balcony as we've only done ocean balcony cabins.

I like both Oasis and Quantum Class however Quantum class has more inside space which makes it better for cooler climates. Given that this is a Caribbean cruise Symphony might be a better choice, but both classes have things I like for any cruise type. Oasis class - Aqua Threater - best shows at sea IMO. Central Park - beautiful quiet space. Rising Tide bar - lots of fun. Play Makers - my favorite bar at sea. Nice Solarium but bar is on second level. Zip line - lots of fun. Ultimate Abys - fun if you like slides.

Quantum Class - 270 venue - Great views out the back and a nice bar. Some entertaining shows. Solarium  - Nice pools and bar on main level. Rooms - We've only cruised on Allure and Oasis so this might not be the case for Symphony but in our experience there feels like there is more storage areas in our standard balcony rooms on Quantum class. There is an over the bed storage cabinet that is not present on  the two Oasis Class ships we have been on. North Star - great views if you like heights. Bumper Cars in the Seaplex - love them, what more needs to be said about bumper cars? iFly - great to do and watch. I'vd just summarized the things specific to each class that  we like. There are probably others that I've left out. As I mentioned Symphony would probably be my pick for a warm cruise but depending on price and itenary I wouldn't hesitate to do Quantum class as well. Enjoy your cruise.

Just now, GimmeOcean said:

Worth pointing out that Odyssey also has a Playmakers bar, on the 2nd level of the Seaplex

Thanks - I didn't know that. Only Quantum I've been on is Anthem.

I’ve been on Anthem and a bunch of Oasis class. I have 2 cruises booked on Odyssey this year and one on harmony. The Oasis class is definitely my favorite class ship but my last 3 cruises have been oasis class and I’m ready to mix it up. Quantum class has a lot to offer with some great entertainment. The seaplex is awesome. If you are like me and don’t enjoy the super hot temps that it can sometimes get outside you will appreciate the indoor space. I also appreciate that Quantum class is less passengers. 

I would pick quantum class in your case just to add something fresh into the mix. I’m assuming you’ve cruised the Caribbean multiple times. Going on a new ship that will provide new experiences will just add excitement to your trip. I’m all for trying something once.

Our favorite is the Oasis class. We did Odyssey once. It's the only Quantum class we've done (technically it's a Quantum Ultra). I liked it fine, but my wife was not super crazy about it. That said, we are booked on her again in the fall for what was originally the Holy Land cruise, but is now the Greece and Turkey cruise.

All things equal, I'd do Symphony. If Odyssey gets you to some different ports that you haven't been to before, that might be a reason to give it a shot. Even if you don't like it as much as an Oasis class, I doubt you'd have a bad time, and at least you'll know. 😉

I am a big fan of the Odyssey (other Quantum ships, not so much), but I also love the Oasis class. The Odyssey definitely does have less outdoor space, but for me, that's actually a bonus: I love Caribbean cruises, but I also love A/C. 🤣 And unlike Oasis ships, the Odyssey has a fully enclosed and air-conditioned Solarium.

I hang out on my balcony when I can handle the heat & humidity, but I also love having the panoramic views forward and aft from the Solarium and Two70. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks to all for the input thus far. Symphony is 6 days to Labadee, Falmouth and Nassau.  Haven't been to any of these in years.  Odyssey is also 6 days and goes to Coco Cay, Falmouth and Grand Cayman. Personally I love Labadee and it's more laid back vibe than Coco Cay. So ports are both of interest to me.  How are the crowds on Odyssey?  Never felt very crowded on Symphony except in the promenade at night but we didn't hang out there much as we liked the other areas of the ship better. Can you reserve shows like Oasis class on Odyssey? 

Edited by SanzD
Typo

9 hours ago, SanzD said:

Thanks to all for the input thus far. Symphony is 6 days to Labadee, Falmouth and Nassau.  Haven't been to any of these in years.  Odyssey is also 6 days and goes to Coco Cay, Falmouth and Grand Cayman. Personally I love Labadee and it's more laid back vibe than Coco Cay. So ports are both of interest to me.  How are the crowds on Odyssey?  Never felt very crowded on Symphony except in the promenade at night but we didn't hang out there much as we liked the other areas of the ship better. Can you reserve shows like Oasis class on Odyssey? 

I find Odyssey to feel more crowded than Oasis class ships.  The ship is narrower and there are more choke points.  Also fewer venues to spread people out in.

Only one show can be booked on Odyssey and ironically that is :The Book"

These are actually my two favorite ships, odyssey being my favorite and symphony my second favorite. I really liked the layout of odyssey, the ledge in the pool, the seaplex area. 

I would suggest picking the itinerary/cost that work best for you. I’m sure you’ll have a great time on either one.

16 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Wow. And here I'm worried about how large Anthem is. I've never been on anything larger than Celebrity Edge (capacity 2000 less than Anthem).

Interesting.  I think Anthem is most like Edge on Celebrity.  We sailed Anthem and Edge and found them to be designed in a very similar style, although Anthem is larger in occupancy (4200 passengers vs. 3000 passengers D.O.).  But not much difference in terms of physical size and gross tonnage.

I am in the minority I guess. I don't like Oasis but love Odyssey and Anthem. Looking forward to Ovation this May. We are just not into all the bells and whistles that Oasis class offers. Our focus is on relaxation, so the Solarium is important to us. Love it on Anthem and Odyssey, perfect place to spend my days.

Favorite class is still radiance, I do like smaller ships.

Posted (edited)

Been on both (just got off Odyssey) and loved both. My favorite is Symphony, but since you've been on Symphony, and also on Harmony, I'd recommend giving Odyssey a try for something different. It's very modern beautiful ship. For outside spots, it's mostly pool deck and one above but you also get beautiful views from Two70 and Solarium. Odyssey is missing the Aqua show and ice rink (and Broadway show) but still has two very good production shows, plus tons of activities. 

Let us know what you decide. 

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, SanzD said:

Last year a group of us did a 6 day cruise on Odyssey, spent a day back home, than did a 7 day cruise on Wonder. While both cruises were great, Odyssey definitely was a lot more crowded than Wonder. I think that is common on all Quantum class ships based on the ship layout compared to the layout of Oasis class ships. I have been on both ship classes numerous times and at least from my perspective, Quantum class ships are better if you like to spend a lot of time inside while Oasis class ships are better if you like to spend a lot of time outside. 

If you enjoy watching the musical acts you will like it a lot more in the Music Hall on Odyssey than Dazzles on Symphony.  The Music hall is a vastly superior venue.  Putting Playmakers above and looking down on Seaplex is a major upgrade on the Quantum class ships.  Odyssey has a Flowrider so you can continue have your drink and watch there too.  As far as open spaces... I think Odyssey is equal.  

My only caveat is with regards to what Ken @Ourusualbeach said about choke points.  When I was on Odyssey it was 6 months post covid restart and there were only 2900 people onboard the ship.  It definitely didn't feel crowded.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Interesting.  I think Anthem is most like Edge on Celebrity.  We sailed Anthem and Edge and found them to be designed in a very similar style, although Anthem is larger in occupancy (4200 passengers vs. 3000 passengers D.O.).  But not much difference in terms of physical size and gross tonnage.

I was referencing people. If the ships are roughly the same size but such a big passenger capacity discrepancy, that means Anthem is going to be and feel a lot more crowded. Ugh.

Just now, Tree_skier said:

If you enjoy watching the musical acts you will like it a lot more in the Music Hall on Odyssey than Dazzles on Symphony.  The Music hall is a vastly superior venue.  Putting Playmakers above and looking down on Seaplex is a major upgrade on the Quantum class ships.  Odyssey has a Flowrider so you can continue have your drink and watch there too.  As far as open spaces... I think Odyssey is equal.  

My only caveat is with regards to what Ken @Ourusualbeach said about choke points.  When I was on Odyssey it was 6 months post covid restart and there were only 2900 people onboard the ship.  It definitely didn't feel crowded.

Too bad they have stopped using the music hall for tribute bands. 

We had just under 5100 on our sailing.