Blue Princess Cruises "escape completely" bag disintegrates

Oh dear my prized blue Princess Cruises "escape completely" bag just disintegrated in my hands. 

Was my bag meant to last longer than me?

Do  they still give bags to passengers?

I'm going on Virgin Voyages on Friday.  Does Virgin Voyages give bags? 

The last time I got such a shock was when the soles of my almost new English "hotter concept" shoes, started to fall to pieces in my hands.  I have four other pairs still living which this hasn't happened to.  Note to self write to company for replacement pair of their "made in England" shoes. Does anyone know why this happens?

Sadly some of ours have succumbed to old age as well, but they have had hard working life and left exposed to the sun in the back of our SUV.

Looking forward to getting new ones on our next cruise. That is hopefully they are still giving them out.

On our last WC they gave us a large chiller bag we use each week to get our cold shopping home, and its a bloody ripper, one of the most useful things that Princess has given out, IMHO.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Sadly some of ours have succumbed to old age as well, but they have had hard working life and left exposed to the sun in the back of our SUV.

Looking forward to getting new ones on our next cruise. That is hopefully they are still giving them out.

On our last WC they gave us a large chiller bag we use each week to get our cold shopping home, and its a bloody ripper, one of the most useful things that Princess has given out, IMHO.

What a wonderful memory of your WC with your weekly shop.  Such a useful gift in our climate.

19 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

They also gave us a cooler rucksack to use on a picnic.

Its been handy on quick romantic day out too.

CoolerRucksack.thumb.jpg.da32d5749609eca51b6738a2e4373526.jpg

Wow I hadn't seen a cooler rucksack before, another useful item in the tropics.  Name was the clever cruise line!

I had a pair of boots only 20 years old, used many times but one day the soles just disintegrated when digging a h9le, the rubber just crumbled. I think perhaps age and repeated hot cold temps may have helped in their demise. They had been stored in the garage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

My blue Princess bags crumbled and they hadn't been exposed to sun. We got a shock when the firsts one broke. My husband put some plastic bottles of soft drink in the bag and they went straight through the bottom. Since then a couple of the bags have just crumbled, even though they were inside the house. We haven't got these bags on our last few Princess cruises.

14 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

My blue Princess bags crumbled and they hadn't been exposed to sun. We got a shock when the firsts one broke. My husband put some plastic bottles of soft drink in the bag and they went straight through the bottom. Since then a couple of the bags have just crumbled, even though they were inside the house. We haven't got these bags on our last few Princess cruises.

That's really very disappointing with Princess not giving them out now.😞

Their really cutting corners at the moment, getting down to the penny pinching.

It's probably going to take a few years for them to recover from the covid years.😧

How ever on the good side of your bag disintegration, he hadn't loaded it with expensive bottles of wine or such.😁

• Haha 3

Just now, Ozwoody said:

That's really very disappointing with Princess not giving them out now.😞

Their really cutting corners at the moment, getting down to the penny pinching.

It's probably going to take a few years for them to recover from the covid years.😧

How ever on the good side of your bag disintegration, he hadn't loaded it with expensive bottles of wine or such.😁

Lucikly not expensive bottles of wine, but imagine the astonished look on his face when the bottles of softdrink landed on his feet.🤣

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Lucikly not expensive bottles of wine, but imagine the astonished look on his face when the bottles of softdrink landed on his feet.🤣

I would imagine he was hopping mad.🤭

• Haha 4

We've also had some of our first Princess bags disintegrate. I guess they are meant to be biodegradable so don't last for ever.

We have gained a few since the restart. About 3 or 4 out of 7 cruises.

I never have mine long enough for them to fall apart. I prefer not to be a walking advertisement for Princess. So I fill them with goodies and take them to the op shop. I got one on this cruise so it will be gone in a few weeks.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

I never have mine long enough for them to fall apart. I prefer not to be a walking advertisement for Princess. So I fill them with goodies and take them to the op shop. I got one on this cruise so it will be gone in a few weeks.

Hahaha, me too! Keith and I take it in turns to take ownership of the single bag left in a cabin for two people, each believing we're the loser in the deal.  Now, one thing I do miss is the tube of moisturising lotion, not particularly good quality, but something less I need to pack.

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I had a pair of boots only 20 years old, used many times but one day the soles just disintegrated when digging a h9le, the rubber just crumbled. I think perhaps age and repeated hot cold temps may have helped in their demise. They had been stored in the garage.

Many years ago I had a favourite pair of strappy heels which I kept for 'special occasions'. Having small children at the time, we rarely went out for dinner (which rated as a special occasion at the time). Anyway, my MIL was visiting and offered to mind the ankle biters whilst we went out. Obviously the shock was too much for my shoes, the straps disintegrated on the way to the restaurant.🙄 I ended up being the barefoot countessa!😂

• Haha 5

Some familiar stories here about shoe failures. I had a pair of nice casual shoes I hardly ever wore, as I was always working, sporting of thongs wearing - they were a good fews years old and rarley worn. We went away for a few days to visit some family and were going to go to a birthday party. Cue the casual shoes.

We returned from dinner & were having a quiet drink when the party hostess (SIL) suddenly asked what is this mess on my floor? Answer: my shoes soles that had self-destructed. Lucky the floor was tile & the mess was easily cleaned up & the shoes in the bin 🙂 

• Like 1

The best bag we ever received was on Azamara - a blue canvas tote with cream handles - it is over 15 years old and I still break it out when needed. 

The ones Princess gave out were not designed to last long at all. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Some familiar stories here about shoe failures. I had a pair of nice casual shoes I hardly ever wore, as I was always working, sporting of thongs wearing - they were a good fews years old and rarley worn. We went away for a few days to visit some family and were going to go to a birthday party. Cue the casual shoes.

We returned from dinner & were having a quiet drink when the party hostess (SIL) suddenly asked what is this mess on my floor? Answer: my shoes soles that had self-destructed. Lucky the floor was tile & the mess was easily cleaned up & the shoes in the bin 🙂 

I had a similar experience.  I had some brown shoes that I used to wear for ballroom dancing. I hadn't worn them for a long time but decided they could go back into service, for wearing at work (I wore trainers to walk to work and changed in the office). I sat in a swivel chair and was in the habit of wrapping me feet around the spider feet of the chair. I then noticed all this brown gunk over the chair feet and thought, disgusting, someone's let a child wipe gooey chocolate or chocolate icing over my chair's feet, only to come to the realisation that the goop was the chunky heels of my shoes "melting" 🥴

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

That is just a boot and shoe thing. I went through my storage tub to find a pair of new masseur sandles I put there 6 or 7 years ago. The soles had turned to jelly. I also threw away a pair of "new" 10 year old work shoes and a pair of 20 year old cricket spikes, as both split in my hands. Age for sure, but these have been in a nice shady wardrobe.

• Like 1

We have oodles of cruise totes and did a bit of a tidy up over the Christmas break. As best as I can tell, the couple of Princess "Come Back New" totes are like new. One is from 2017, the other from Coral last year. Lots of trivia prizes and misc totes from P&O, HAL and a couple of T/A's. We should use them up, but have 10yrs supply of Woolies & Coles bags to consume first.

"Escape Completely" bags would have to be 12+ years old? I am not sure they were designed to last much longer that a month of real use.

• Like 1

We had just finished dinner on our Grand Princess cruise last March and had started heading back to our cabin when the sole of one of Rolf's dress shoes started parting company from the upper. Admittedly they were at least 15 years old or maybe even older. 

Luckily the next day was an Adelaide port stop so we caught the train into the city, and went shoe shopping at Myers. I immediately picked one pair of shoes in his favourite brand out as being the most elegant but, of course, Rolf had try on several others before finally decided the ones I picked were perfect! 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 5