Such Negativity-Anything Positive to Say?

I am a very experienced cruiser but have my first Celebrity cruise booked for January 2025 on the Edge. Reading the posts here, everything is so negative. Should I cancel? Or are the people with positive things to say just not posting? No cruise line is perfect, and every cruise has made cuts due to budget, but is it so extreme on Celebrity. My favorite cruise line is Azamara and I often cruise solo. I also like Oceania but find there's not a lot to do on the ships. I like Princess too, but they don't do enough to engage the solo travelers or help them meet each other.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

I am a very experienced cruiser but have my first Celebrity cruise booked for January 2025 on the Edge. Reading the posts here, everything is so negative. Should I cancel? Or are the people with positive things to say just not posting? No cruise line is perfect, and every cruise has made cuts due to budget, but is it so extreme on Celebrity. My favorite cruise line is Azamara and I often cruise solo. I also like Oceania but find there's not a lot to do on the ships. I like Princess too, but they don't do enough to engage the solo travelers or help them meet each other.

There are a few reviews about the Edge about peoples experiences that may be helpful to you.  I'm not sure of what exactly you are focusing on that constitutes negativity.  Is it comments about the Retreat, food, tips, chair hogs, lack of true balcony?  If you can narrow down what exactly concerns you, maybe you may get an answer that will reassure you.  I happen to love Celebrity but will only sail with them now for a reasonable price for me.

How about (for us) it's 21 sleeps!  We can't wait.  

Unhappy people are far more likely to post comments than happy.

I will say this however, Celebrity is not trying to attract solo travellers, and are selling out cruises.  They charge more for a solo than two or more (!) and this is a simple business decision as there are a fixed number of staterooms and the more people on board, the higher the revenue - from packages, drinks, excursions, specialty restaurants, gambling, on-board purchases, etc.  Solo travellers say they pay a premium, but another way to look at it is that 2-4 in a room comes with a discount.

Edited by Andy_P
  • Like 2

It's far easier for people to be negative, however a lot of the boards have the same complaint.

I'm a solo cruiser I don't think Celebrity does a lot for solo travellers the first night there is a meet. But I'm happy with the entertainment I don't really need a lot of solo meet ups.

I will say I do like the solo rooms on the Edge class, other lines that have solo rooms stick you inside with no window.

• Like 4

We spent 29 nights on Celebrity ships in 2023. One cruise was only okay (Solstice) but not the dumpster fire that some posts suggests. We were on Ascent - Edge’s sister ship - at Christmas and it was fabulous. Gorgeous ship, many food options, good food, lots of activities. I would expect the same on Edge. 

The only thing we didn’t like was the infinite verandah but that’s a case of personal preference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

A lot of people are upset at how far the Celebrity product has fallen in the last year.  If you haven't experienced it, then you really won't have that as a comparison.  I think it comes down to pricing these days.  Will you be ok if you pay a premium price but get a similar or lesser experience versus a cheaper ship?  Are you ok with Celebrity advertising something today that they might take away tomorrow?

I think they have beautiful newer ships but the product no longer matches the price they're charging. 

Edited by bEwAbG
  • Like 8

We went on The Edge in 2020 and LOVED the entertainment!

We tried the enhanced Balcony concept (idk what they are calling it) and it was ok- I think we used it about as much as we would the regular balcony-lol. 

But times have definitely changed everything- look forward to going on Celebrity again in October on Equinox.

I have sailed on Celebrity a dozen times, have complained very little about my experiences, and have booked three more into 2025.  Our last cruise this past December on board Summit was one of the best.  However, I think one's on board experiences currently vary greatly from ship to ship.  Maybe one ship's management team has done a better job than the next when it comes to dealing with the company's cutbacks including staffing.  Celebrity Edge has received criticism recently regarding food and service.  I have yet to sail on an Edge-class vessel, but they look gorgeous from the imagery I have seen.  The older classes of Celebrity's ships are stunning and beautifully maintained by hard-working crews.  Go enjoy all that these fabulous ships have to offer.  A cruise is as fun as you make it.  Read less of the criticism of Celebrity and don't compare to the other lines you cruised on.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

We are not experienced cruisers having sailed 5 times only, each on Celebrity. Loved each and every one of them and have 2 booked for this year. Got lots of good advice off this board but also noticed that there are some perpetual complainers. Go and judge for yourself I would suggest.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

The big positive for you is that you have not cruised Celebrity before, therefore do not have a previous experience with which to compare your upcoming cruise.

Much of the negativity, or disappointment, comes from the fact that during the time between when the cruise was purchased and the time the cruise was taken, several things that were included at the time of purchase were removed.

We had an excellent cruise on Eclipse in December 2022 and booked several future cruises while on board.

Prior to our October 2023 cruise on Solstice, changes to the purchased product had been made and although most of the crew were very good and the food mostly enjoyable, much of the music was dangerously over-amplified and the experience was less enjoyable. We did not make any future bookings while on board.

(and before someone jumps in - yes we did have discussions with management on board)

Since that cruise, further changes have been made and we are hoping our March cruise on Solstice (again) will be enjoyable.

We have not cruised on Edge. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

I am a loyal cruiser - my upcoming will be my 80th Celebrity cruise.  I have, this past year, posted my share of negative comments.  Those of us loyal to Celebrity have seen so many cuts and detrimental changes, generally with no notice and no recourse for people already booked and fully paid.  In so many ways, these negative posts have been very helpful as pre-boarding we would never have heard about the changes any other way than social media as Celebrity certainly will not advertise cutbacks.  And some changes were so crazy that all the complaining done here resulted in many emails to head office to the point where the changes were rolled back.

That said, despite these changes I am very much looking forward to my 4 upcoming cruises.  I have never had anything but a great cruise on Celebrity.  The staff is outstanding.  The food is generally good to very good.  Entertainment is not their strongest point, but is usually still quite good.  Overall I always have a good time.  As a new cruiser, you will not even notice or know about what has changed so it won't bother you.  I would definitely not cancel.  Honestly all the changes have caused us, for the first time in 20+ years, to consider other options but I still will consider Celebrity as well when booking future cruises.   

• Like 8

We spent 26 N on the Edge in November and enjoyed the cruises.

Much of the complaints come from Suite guests who paid a premium for the suite experience only to have some significant changes( Butler being eliminated for 1) made to what was advertised and paid for and what is now being delivered.  We were in a suite for those 26N and it was not the same level of service that any of our previous cruises in Suites. 
We love the Edge and all the E class ships and have 6 more cruises booked, just not in suites as the value isn’t equal to the price for us.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

I am a loyal cruiser - my upcoming will be my 80th Celebrity cruise.  I have, this past year, posted my share of negative comments.  Those of us loyal to Celebrity have seen so many cuts and detrimental changes, generally with no notice and no recourse for people already booked and fully paid.  In so many ways, these negative posts have been very helpful as pre-boarding we would never have heard about the changes any other way than social media as Celebrity certainly will not advertise cutbacks.  And some changes were so crazy that all the complaining done here resulted in many emails to head office to the point where the changes were rolled back.

That said, despite these changes I am very much looking forward to my 4 upcoming cruises.  I have never had anything but a great cruise on Celebrity.  The staff is outstanding.  The food is generally good to very good.  Entertainment is not their strongest point, but is usually still quite good.  Overall I always have a good time.  As a new cruiser, you will not even notice or know about what has changed so it won't bother you.  I would definitely not cancel.  Honestly all the changes have caused us, for the first time in 20+ years, to consider other options but I still will consider Celebrity as well when booking future cruises.   

Cruises are what you make them and the holiday you are on helps or hinders. Perspective is what a lot of people on here lack, not you obviously. We feel lucky to be able to cruise, luckier still for it to be on Celebrity. And whether it is a luxury line, mass market, cheap and nasty, don’t care, we enjoy it and feel we get value for our money. Now if our butler didn’t put water in our fridge 😜

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Cruises are what you make them and the holiday you are on helps or hinders. Perspective is what a lot of people on here lack, not you obviously. We feel lucky to be able to cruise, luckier still for it to be on Celebrity. And whether it is a luxury line, mass market, cheap and nasty, don’t care, we enjoy it and feel we get value for our money. Now if our butler didn’t put water in our fridge 😜

I think you are being unfair with your comment about perspective.  I can speak for myself here.  I always board with a positive expectation to have a good time, which I always do.  I also consider myself lucky to be in a position to cruise, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about all the cuts and downgrading that was done, especially with no notice, no announcement, and after payment.  That's just not right. If you ordered a Rolls Royce would you be happy to be delivered a Chevy just because you're able to own a car?  I think not.  I do 100% agree that once you're onboard relax, enjoy, and be happy.  But don't put people down for reporting all the changes adverse to customers who expected a promised value for the price paid.  If not for these sites, we would never have heard about these changes until we were shocked with them onboard.  That would kill a good vibe pretty quick.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

I can truthfully say that I have no negative comments about Celebrity (or any other cruise line that I have sailed on).  A cruise ship is my "happy place"!

From what I have read, the bulk of the criticism is from suite guests whose benefits have been dimished or deleted since final payment...or is something they came to expect from prior sailings.  I cannot begrudge someone expecting what they paid for and not receiving it.

I have never been, nor do I expect to be, a suite guest.  While I typically travel with friends and family, I have a cabin to myself, usually a SV.  Since the end of the pandemic, Celebrity's prices have been kind to me as a solo (I have three booked cruises for 2024 to continue the streak).  My understanding is suite prices have skyrocketed so I'm happy in a SV.

In December, I sailed with my cousin and his daughter on Apex.  She has sailed with Celebrity several times, but it was the first time my cousin had cruised...his only ship experience was when he was in the Navy.  He was bleary-eyed watching all the wonderful YouTube videos before we sailed.  I followed up with forwarding positive reviews.  I didn't see the point in possibly clouding his judgment by giving him a glimpse of someone's unhappiness.  Success...he loved everything about Apex!!!

I spent many years in retail and remember learning in a seminar that seven people will complain compared to one person's compliment.  I'm happy to be the one compliment.

You are going to love Edge!!!

Susan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know what level the OP booked, but most is the negative reports have been about the Retreat. It is just not giving the lux experience that is expected for the price. Other levels in the main ship are about what you’d expect from a mass market cruise — lots of extra cost things, limited service, etc. but at the lower cost levels you didn’t pay for those things with the lower fare. So those wanting a basic, no extras mass market cruise may find that Celebrity, in the lower cost accommodations is a good deal. I don’t know, as I’ve never cruised X that way, but at least it’s fares are competitive.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I think you are being unfair with your comment about perspective.  I can speak for myself here.  I always board with a positive expectation to have a good time, which I always do.  I also consider myself lucky to be in a position to cruise, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about all the cuts and downgrading that was done, especially with no notice, no announcement, and after payment.  That's just not right. If you ordered a Rolls Royce would you be happy to be delivered a Chevy just because you're able to own a car?  I think not.  I do 100% agree that once you're onboard relax, enjoy, and be happy.  But don't put people down for reporting all the changes adverse to customers who expected a promised value for the price paid.  If not for these sites, we would never have heard about these changes until we were shocked with them onboard.  That would kill a good vibe pretty quick.

Fair points. Perspective is subjective, I know people who couldn’t afford the deposit on a Chevy, think most of us on here are very lucky with the options we have to cruise. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

I can truthfully say that I have no negative comments about Celebrity (or any other cruise line that I have sailed on).  A cruise ship is my "happy place"!

From what I have read, the bulk of the criticism is from suite guests whose benefits have been dimished or deleted since final payment...or is something they came to expect from prior sailings.  I cannot begrudge someone expecting what they paid for and not receiving it.

I have never been, nor do I expect to be, a suite guest.  While I typically travel with friends and family, I have a cabin to myself, usually a SV.  Since the end of the pandemic, Celebrity's prices have been kind to me as a solo (I have three booked cruises for 2024 to continue the streak).  My understanding is suite prices have skyrocketed so I'm happy in a SV.

In December, I sailed with my cousin and his daughter on Apex.  She has sailed with Celebrity several times, but it was the first time my cousin had cruised...his only ship experience was when he was in the Navy.  He was bleary-eyed watching all the wonderful YouTube videos before we sailed.  I followed up with forwarding positive reviews.  I didn't see the point in possibly clouding his judgment by giving him a glimpse of someone's unhappiness.  Success...he loved everything about Apex!!!

I spent many years in retail and remember learning in a seminar that seven people will complain compared to one person's compliment.  I'm happy to be the one compliment.

You are going to love Edge!!!

Susan

Spot on, complaining is easy and nothing ever is perfect. I get the impression some people are never happy unless they have something to moan about, grumbling keeps them going. Life’s too short for that in my view.

• Like 2

DH and I did 6 Celebrity cruises in the pre-pandemic era. It was definitely our line of choice and we weren't particularly interested in trying any other. When we did the Eclipse to Alaska this past summer, I had read some of the doom and gloom here especially pertaining to the food. So was prepared for something terrible to be slopped on to my plate every night. Guess what? it was totally fine. I noticed a couple of small changes none of which made my cruise bad enough that I swore never to darken their gangway again. We are booked on the Ascent in 2 weeks and I am looking forward to it very much. 

There is a certain air of entitlement in many (not all) of the complaints I see here. People who feel like their years of "loyalty" to Celebrity aren't being rewarded to their satisfaction, or that their elevated status is not being acknowledged appropriately. It's ...interesting. I personally don't give a a damn about having a butler, or eating in a luxe dining room even though we did move up to a Sky Suite. That's not why I cruise. 

• Like 1

I have a mostly favorable opinion of Celebrity.  There are some changes that have been implemented over the last year that I don't really care for...but I still check Celebrity first when I'm planning a cruise.  We only have one Celebrity cruise booked for 2024 but I'm always looking for other possibilities. All that to say,  I've never had a bad cruise on Celebrity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's mostly the same people who bemoan the same topic over and over and over. Sometimes for months on end. Celebrity still checks a lot of boxes for us. If the recent suite changes impede the experience beyond what we're happy with we will save the money and book verandas. 

If there's one thing I am not doing on my vacation time it is scheduling 'meetings' with officers and wasting my time chasing complaints. I'll voice my dissatisfaction with my money and not return. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

If there's one thing I am not doing on my vacation time it is scheduling 'meetings' with officers and wasting my time chasing complaints. I'll voice my dissatisfaction with my money and not return. 

With respect, I must suggest that if you do not follow up on a problem while on board, it cannot be having much of an impact on your enjoyment of the cruise.

Usually management prefers to hear about the problem at the time, so that it can be rectified, not only for you, but for those who are on subsequent cruises.

4 hours ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

I like Princess too, but they don't do enough to engage the solo travelers or help them meet each other.

I have traveled Ruby Princess this past November and the Ascent last week.

If you think Princess didn’t do enough then you won’t be happy with Celebrity.

Princes at least posted the solo meetup on a daily basis.

The Ascent mentioned it once the first day never to be listed in the daily again. As a solo traveler I know a lot of people miss that first day meeting with so much going on, and don’t get the chance to know about any meetups during the week.

I love Celebrity ships, food , staff,  but feel a huge disappointment on how they have been treating solo travelers lately and won’t book unless things change.

• Like 1