What are your thoughts on discussing politics in the MDR?

thermal

I live in a city that crossed the lunacy boundary a long time ago, so politics is a discussion I would much prefer not be discussed while on vacation.

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

It takes a bit of self-discipline:  keeping your mind on the topic, and not what you personally feel about the topic. 

Of course, when you are seated with a group of strangers the odds are that one or more of them will lack such self-discipline.

I recall a professor in a Government course - who managed for the whole semester to avoid disclosing his personal political views.

I don't remember any teachers or college professors  disclosing their personal views during my educational years last century.  Nowadays, I am appalled by acquaintances who based their viewpoints on headlines alone.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I don't remember any teachers or college professors  disclosing their personal views during my educational years last century.  Nowadays, I am appalled by acquaintances who based their viewpoints on headlines alone.

Sadly, objectivity has largely been replaced by self-justification in many areas of life;  perhaps most damagingly in the field of education.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I don't even ask "What do you do" so no, I an not engaging in any political, religious or even "which way does the toilet paper roll go?" discussions with strangers at dinner.  

I have asked "what kind of business were you in" if I feel like the person might be okay with that. Notice, I didn't say "what did you do for a living?"

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Last political discussion I had while traveling was with a couple of guys on a train in Italy.  They were more interested in how things work as opposed to taking sides. 

I actually can't think why I would ever bring up politics with people I had just met at the dinner table on a cruise ship.  I mean, it isn't something that I yearn to talk about with new acquaintances.  I guess there are those who like to proudly display their political leaning at every opportunity.  America is very polarized these days.  

Some just can't resist the urge to proselytize. If you tell them you're not that into politics, it's like bait to them -- they rush in, anxious to convert you to their way of thinking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clo said:

I have asked "what kind of business were you in" if I feel like the person might be okay with that. Notice, I didn't say "what did you do for a living?"

is what do you/did you do for a living a bad question??

When meeting people on vacation or day trips or anywhere this seems a common  ice breaker question to me - have been asked that many times and never thought it or found it problematic for anyone.

• Like 2

We love sharing tables with strangers and new found friends.  There are plenty of fun topics that creates a good atmosphere at a shared table, such as children/grandchildren, travel, cruising, sports, old TV shows, etc.  DW will often get into discussion about authors (she loves to read).  No need to ever mention politics or religion or work (we have found many Europeans prefer to avoid work-related topics.  Come to think of it, even Cruise Critic can become a good conversation topic :).  

Speaking of politics, DW and I tell the tale about one day when we were walking down a narrow shopping street in Shanghai.  A small local man ran out of a nearby shop (we assume he was the owner or manager) and stopped right in front of us...blocking our pathway.  With a very defiant look he said, in perfect English, "I do not like your President!"  (I think Bush 43 was President).  I looked at this little man and quickly responded, "neither do many Americans."  The poor guy looked disappointed and just quietly walked back into his shop.  I have long wondered what would happen to that guy if he went up to a fellow Chinese person and said "I do not like  President! Xi."  LOL.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Kristelle said:

When meeting people on vacation or day trips or anywhere this seems a common  ice breaker question to me - have been asked that many times and never thought it or found it problematic for anyone.

Honestly, that one baffles me too.

5 hours ago, clo said:

I went through that for just too long. Too far apart for me is just tiring and doesn't accomplish. And, hey, I'm on vacay!

Sorry I am a little confused by what you are trying to say. Did you reply to me by accident? 

19 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

To be honest I would rather talk politics than what I do for a living😂 as it usually leads to questions I am tired of answering and comments that make me uncomfortable. Anyway now I just don't tell the truth and everyone can be happy. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, clo said:

I'm as "hard left" as one can get and agree with 100%. And if someone tries to do it I will so "no" firmly. If that doesn't work, I'll leave the table.

Great post. I'm the other end of the spectrum, but I'll sit with you and talk ports, cameras, technology, travel experiences. cars, music, where we grew up or whatever else. Let's space these out, my wife and I want to make the show!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

Depends on what the person did for a living. I know more than a few doctors and lawyers who would not answer that question. Or would say they did something mundane and boring. Because they didn't feel like handing out free medical/legal advice for the rest of the cruise. My SIL works in a sensitive government position. He never gives out occupational information to anyone without a need to know . For some people it doesn't matter. For others it is needlessly intrusive. I never ask that- it's none of my business. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mom says said:

My SIL works in a sensitive government position. He never gives out occupational information to anyone without a need to know . For some people it doesn't matter. For others it is needlessly intrusive. I never ask that- it's none of my business. 

Having lived and worked for the federal government for most of our careers, we know better than to  ask and prefer not to be asked.  Even many retirees can't - and therefore won't - give a straight answer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, clo said:

1 hour ago, Kristelle said:

It is boring but most of all, I don't want to answer back since it leads people to overshare.  

43 minutes ago, mom says said:

Depends on what the person did for a living. I know more than a few doctors and lawyers who would not answer that question. Or would say they did something mundane and boring. Because they didn't feel like handing out free medical/legal advice for the rest of the cruise. My SIL works in a sensitive government position. He never gives out occupational information to anyone without a need to know . For some people it doesn't matter. For others it is needlessly intrusive. I never ask that- it's none of my business. 

My partner works in the "automobile manufacturing business" and he doesn't mind the conversations but every time someone asks him about this model or that engine, I take a drink.  Win-win.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

It is boring but most of all, I don't want to answer back since it leads people to overshare.  

I 100% play it by ear. An anecdote. A few years ago on a cruise there was a man at the next outdoor table in a tee shirt that mentioned a particular medical conference. He had seemed pretty friendly so I asked him he'd been to that conference. I no longer remember the details but he replied and we found we had a quasi-medical subject in common. It was pleasant. But I'm really careful with that.

And to whomever mentioned doctors and lawyers I totally agree. I had a physician years ago who said is he's at a social gathering where people know his profession and is asked for a medical opinion, he says it will be necessary for us to step into the next room and for you to remove your clothes....

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

To be honest I would rather talk politics than what I do for a living😂 as it usually leads to questions I am tired of answering and comments that make me uncomfortable. Anyway now I just don't tell the truth and everyone can be happy. 

This can lead to speculation - preferring discussing politics with strangers to mentioning your profession is unusual.  Drug runner, mob hit man, undercover foreign agent as well as other, less savory, fields of endeavor come to mind.

• Haha 2

Both my husband and I deflect any questions asked about our professions and education.  You can’t imagine how uncomfortable that can get and we have learned not to share.  Most people are pretty intuitive and know not to intrude.  When they aren’t, I like to throw my husband under the bus and watch him squirm.  😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mom says said:

Must be a cultural thing then.

I've never come across anyone felling it is uneccesarily intrusive - is a simple getting to know you question that people can answer in vague way if they have some secret service top job.

I've found it extremely common for people to start conversations with that.

And nothing about people is any of our business - but wouldn't be much conversation if we never asked people about themselves or shared about ourselves.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kristelle said:

It's not a bad question but don't press if you get a vague answer in response. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

This can lead to speculation - preferring discussing politics with strangers to mentioning your profession is unusual.  Drug runner, mob hit man, undercover foreign agent as well as other, less savory, fields of endeavor come to mind.

This cracks me up.  We sat with a couple at a table in Amsterdam at a museum cafe.  Occupations came up.  The guy fixed flutes.  Great, we really like Jethro Tull  ie Ian Anderson.  Oh, I repair his flutes.