Looking for opinions for cruises out of Cape Liberty

On 2/22/2024 at 2:34 PM, Leela62 said:

I watched some videos on Nassau and the port area looks a lot different than the last time we were there, so we can just walk around that area where it's fenced in - apparently that area is very safe. 

I know there are some current warnings about Nassau but I think historically it may have suffered a bit from 'chinese whispers' about what lies beyond the port gates.

We were in the diamond lounge discussing our plans on our last cruise and mentioned we were going to spend the day at Junkanoo beach and it rapidly turned into a full longe discussion of 'crazy Brit and you can't take your wife and son out there!'.

We had a great time, yes I did have to be firm, very firm a couple of times with people but we had a great day.

Perhaps our experience being English is different than if we were from the USA and the local touts and people up to no good target you folks more. Either way I have never felt unsafe or hassled in Nassau

• Like 1

For those who have been to coco cay- years ago- boy has it changed!  It is wonderful!  So much has improved.  They have adults only section, a fancy beach club with great meal service- all over the island you can take a tram and find so many food  and beach options.   If  you have kids- a wonderful water park.  While some things do cost extra, we consider it a shore X and are willing to spend the money.  Haven't been to labadee in years- it was meh.  Hopefully it has improved as we have that stop on our summer Symphony cruise..

5 hours ago, Tin can said:

I know there are some current warnings about Nassau but I think historically it may have suffered a bit from 'chinese whispers' about what lies beyond the port gates.

We were in the diamond lounge discussing our plans on our last cruise and mentioned we were going to spend the day at Junkanoo beach and it rapidly turned into a full longe discussion of 'crazy Brit and you can't take your wife and son out there!'.

We had a great time, yes I did have to be firm, very firm a couple of times with people but we had a great day.

Perhaps our experience being English is different than if we were from the USA and the local touts and people up to no good target you folks more. Either way I have never felt unsafe or hassled in Nassau

I don’t think it’s being English, as you know the US is huge with a large variety of places to live. I feel safe in Nassau, I live very close to NYC, have been to many US cities, can easily ignore vendors or homeless (I think the term is unhoused now?).Heck even in the boardwalks on the Jersey shore folks are yelling at you. 

19 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I don’t think it’s being English, as you know the US is huge with a large variety of places to live. I feel safe in Nassau, I live very close to NYC, have been to many US cities, can easily ignore vendors or homeless (I think the term is unhoused now?).Heck even in the boardwalks on the Jersey shore folks are yelling at you. 

I know this is going off topic a bit but I was wondering if US passengers get hassled at Nassau more than English (in my case) as I just don't get the general safety concerns as I certainly have never felt unsafe.

I have been all over the States - LA, New York, Chicago, San Francisco to name a few and yes there are a large variety of areas just like the UK. Every time we have been to Nassau though since our first US cruise in 2002 we have met US folks who live in these cities who will not under any circumstances get off at Nassau.

Each to their own of course, I just find it strange, and to be honest whilst I know there are some recent specific warnings for Nassau I'm starting to question myself whether I am missing some obvious every day danger there as we always have a great time.

Edited by Tin can

Just now, Tin can said:

I know this is going off topic a bit but I was wondering if US passengers get hassled at Nassau more than English (in my case) as I just don't get the general safety concerns as I certainly have never felt unsafe.

I have been all over the States - LA, New York, Chicago, San Francisco to name a few and yes there are a large variety of areas just like the UK. Every time we have been to Nassau though since our first US cruise in 2002 we have met US folks who live in these cities but will not under any circumstances get off at Nassau.

Each to their own of course, I just find it strange and to be honest whilst I know there are some recent specific warnings I'm starting to question myself whether I am missing some obvious every day danger there as we always have a great time.

I feel the same way- I live in a very large (and considered pretty dangerous at this point) city- Philadelphia.   I'm pretty sure visiting certain parts of Philly, NYC or Chicago are just as, if not more dangerous than walking around Nassau. I think it gets overblown, just like any major tourist city- there will be areas to avoid and people looking to prey on outsiders. Just be aware and have a good time. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tin can said:

I have been all over the States - LA, New York, Chicago, San Francisco to name a few and yes there are a large variety of areas just like the UK. Every time we have been to Nassau though since our first US cruise in 2002 we have met US folks who live in these cities who will not under any circumstances get off at Nassau.

Each to their own of course, I just find it strange, and to be honest whilst I know there are some recent specific warnings for Nassau I'm starting to question myself whether I am missing some obvious every day danger there as we always have a great time.

I think a lot of the US is in the boonies, lol. 

On 2/24/2024 at 4:46 AM, Tin can said:

Here is the info on the travel.state.gov website.    Majority of the troubles on land in Nassau are gang related violence in their own neighborhoods.    I personally always felt safe walking to Junkanoo beach, fish fry, shopping areas, etc.    I will be there next week and other than be aware of my surroundings (which I do anywhere I am) the travel warning should not impact my day.  

image.png.fb872739df747d20d2a820be97a34651.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We had a blast on our Bermuda cruise out of NJ.  Really loved Bermuda and will go back again someday.  That said we are booked on Symphony in May.  Not really interested in the ports except for Coco Cay which we have never been to.  Booked this cruise for the ship…never sailed on an Oasis class ship before and so excited about it!  

• Like 2

On 2/25/2024 at 5:22 AM, Tin can said:

I live 15 minutes out of New York City, and always go to Junkanoo beach. In fact, this past summer...my kids and 2 year old granddaughter joined us. We Never felt unsafe.

Getting back to the topic!...my last 2 cruises were on the Oasis with the same old itierary. For that reason we are traveling on Liberty this summer to Bermuda. But to be honest, I am not looking forward to the ship! It's so outdated by today's standards. Symphony of the Seas is such a beautiful ship!

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 2:54 PM, Another_Critic said:

Anthem was year round at Cape Liberty from Nov 2015 to, IIRC, April/May 2019.

FWIW, I took a cruise on the Anthem on June 6, 2019.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AspiringCindy said:

I live 15 minutes out of New York City, and always go to Junkanoo beach. In fact, this past summer...my kids and 2 year old granddaughter joined us. We Never felt unsafe.

Getting back to the topic!...my last 2 cruises were on the Oasis with the same old itierary. For that reason we are traveling on Liberty this summer to Bermuda. But to be honest, I am not looking forward to the ship! It's so outdated by today's standards. Symphony of the Seas is such a beautiful ship!

We did Oasis twice last year and LOVED the ship, but didn't want to do that itinerary a 2nd time from NJ (the first one was from Miami so we got a little variety on the ports). So we are doing Liberty to Bermuda, as well. But I AM looking forward to the ship, We haven't done it yet, but even being a little outdated everyone seems to love it and it still has some slides and fun stuff, I'm actually excited to do a slightly smaller ship this time. I WILL miss Playmakers though. 

I'm on the Anthem right now and loving it!  I was sailing her two months ago in January, too.  Lovely ship, modern with wonderful cabins.  

The only negative to me is there are no separated doors at the dock to check in.  It's a cattle call if you arrive at a crowded time. This trip I got to the dock at 10:45, and was on the ship by 11am.

Dress for the weather, as you may end up waiting outside.

I really like the new shopping promenade at the Nassau dock. It's a nice walk, usually breezy, and the kiosks and shops are interesting.  However, keep an eye on the number of ships in port, as it can be a walking mob of people to the shopping area.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

From/to Cape Liberty: I've sailed Quantum (end point of TA), Anthem 8 times (4 TAs, Bermuda, CA/NE, Bahamas, eastern Caribbean), Vision (end point of TA), Adventure (one-way to Quebec), Oasis 1 time (Oct 2021), and Liberty 1 time (Sept. 2023 CA/NE).

Liberty was a nice change after sailing Anthem multiple times.

Edited by Another_Critic

5 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

From/to Cape Liberty: I've sailed Anthem 8 times (4 TAs, Bermuda, CA/NE, Bahamas, eastern Caribbean),  Oasis 1 time (Oct 2021), and Liberty 1 time (Sept. 2023 CA/NE).

Liberty was a nice change after sailing Anthem multiple times.

Our feelings are similar after our sixth time on Anthem out of Cape Liberty this past January.

Main theatre shows were alright seeing them the first time but we didn't bothering seeing them again.

On 2/25/2024 at 5:22 AM, Tin can said:

Apologies for resurrecting the veer off topic...but we sailed Oasis this past summer and left the port area in Nassau. On Oasis's 9-nighter, it was Emancipation Day when we arrived in Nassau, so it derailed some of our plans (the pirate museum, for instance, was closed).

We walked over to the Queens' Staircase, then down to the Bahamas Rum Cake Factory. Never felt unsafe. The infrastructure is in rough shape (sidewalks were more like stepping stones in many places), but that's not surprising.

We do live along the Jersey Shore, about an hour from NYC. I worked in Manhattan for 10 years and we still go up to the city a few times a year. Hard to compare the two, but I feel like general safety awareness is the same for either.

4 hours ago, robtulipe said:

Our feelings are similar after our sixth time on Anthem out of Cape Liberty this past January.

Main theatre shows were alright seeing them the first time but we didn't bothering seeing them again.

Seeing "The Gift" in 2016, I promised never to repeat that mistake. I saw "We Will Rock You" twice then skipped it for several cruises. After noticing in 2022 that WWRY was using a projection screen, I attended a performance in 2023 and the screen enhanced the enjoyment along with multiple costume changes that were not part of the show n 2016-2017.

I attended "The Gift" and they too use a screen. That along with an explanation before the performance of what the show was about made it much more tolerable. Give both a try if you get the chance.

On 2/22/2024 at 8:44 AM, Scottdalfonso said:

We are having the same dilemma. Only 90 minute drive to Bayonne,  We sailed oasis out of NJ in October, and sailing Liberty this summer to Bermuda. We really want to sail Symphony next summer, but just can't bring ourselves to basically pay more for the same exact cruise we did on Oasis, and basically the same ship. We LOVE the oasis class ships, but we just really have no interest in stopping at PC, Nassau OR Coco cay again, so we are actually looking at cruises out of Miami for next year, OR maybe doing a Canada run on Liberty, but want to make sure we like the ship this time around, first.

We are in a similar spot. We had 4 adjacent balcony staterooms on Oasis last year for a 9 night cruise out of NJ. Total cost about $9,700. Looking at a cruise on Symphony in 2025 -- and its only 7 nights -- same exact four cabins is over $17,500. I didn't dare look at the Symphony 9-nighter in 2025.  

mac_tlc

22 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

We are in a similar spot. We had 4 adjacent balcony staterooms on Oasis last year for a 9 night cruise out of NJ. Total cost about $9,700. Looking at a cruise on Symphony in 2025 -- and its only 7 nights -- same exact four cabins is over $17,500. I didn't dare look at the Symphony 9-nighter in 2025.  

mac_tlc

They're not doing 9 nighters. Only Liberty is.