Special Restaurants Pricing

mcrcruiser

On our cruise last May on the Rotterdam we ate in each of those. We thought the Tamarind was excellent and will eat there again on our cruise next month.

We were disappointed in Canaletto, but maybe that's just us.

We had the HIA package, so didn't pay extra. The prices are listed as $29.50 for Canaletto and $41.30 for Tamarind. I think deciding whether that's worth it might depend on dining costs where one lives. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have eaten in all the specialty restaurants on HAL for many years. Satisfaction is usually good to great. Since the pandemic food quality and service in these venues has slowly improved. Canaletto use to be not so good. But over the past few years, on the ships we've been on, it's been a lot better.

Their new menu launched last year (I think) is pretty good. But we like Italian food so we may not be the fairest judges. 

Tamarind is pretty good and has consistently been that way. But we've found that for us, more than a couple of dinners there, the selection is limited to what we like. 

If you have the HIA package you're going to get to at least one of them included. 

Are they worth the extra $? We think they are. 

Dan

you can see all the menus and pricing on the HAL website.  Take a look and see if it appeals. We have had good meals in Canaletto and Tamarind.  Probably better than some PG experiences on some ships (not all and not the Prinsendam or old Rotterdam).

• Like 2

We always eat in the Tamarind and Canaletto at least once, sometimes twice on longer cruises. We usually don't eat in the MDR so the two specialty restaurants are a nice break from the Lido Buffet and NY Pizza. We tried Rudi's twice and weren't impressed; wouldn't have gone the second time but we had friends on board who wanted to try it. The Pinnacle Grill is okay, but the steaks are just too large. We prefer to eat there for lunch on at sea days.l

We loved the PG for lunch and ate there several times during the 2023 World Cruise. Dinner was good too but lunch was great. We also enjoyed Canaletto several times but the menu changed recently and I don’t like the choices.

Edited by sandiego1
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

We loved the PG for lunch and ate there several times during the 2023 World Cruise. Dinner was good too but lunch was great. We also enjoyed Canaletto several times but the menu changed recently and I don’t like the choices.

I agree with your comment about Canaletto. My fav is Tamarind and they will have a pop-up on the Zaandam cruise I am presently on with a limited menu. $35 + 18% gratuity. I won’t go as the only times left were very late. 

I love Italian food and if you do too, I would warn you to curb your expectations regarding Canaletto. I was not impressed at all, probably wouldn't go back again without a serious incentive (and not even sure I'd go if it were free).

I like Tamarind, but again, it's more pan-Asian inspired and not really true to any specific Asian cuisine. It's not very spicy if that concerns anyone. That said, I do enjoy it but probably not more than once on a two week cruise, maybe a second time if longer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, motherjoy said:

Do you get the Mariner Discount on pop up tamarind dinners?

@Nickelpenny was told correctly. there is no Mariner discount for a pop up or a “special dinner”.  It only applies to the regular specialty dining.  

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

Do you get the Mariner Discount if you pre-reserve Pinnacle Grill, for instance?  If so, how is it credited to your account?

You have to pay the list price at booking. Any discount is refunded after you eat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

for the 3 special restaurants on  Pinnacle class ships the disvounts start when a person reaches 3 star mariner & gets a 25 % discount ,4 star gets a higher discount ,the 5 star gets the best discount  . We are 3 star mariner going to 4 star shortly . At the price escalations in the special restaurants we need all the discounts we can get lol

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

for the 3 special restaurants on  Pinnacle class ships the disvounts start when a person reaches 3 star mariner & gets a 25 % discount ,4 star gets a higher discount ,the 5 star gets the best discount  . We are 3 star mariner going to 4 star shortly . At the price escalations in the special restaurants we need all the discounts we can get lol

The discounts are the same on all HAL ships. Its the selection of restaurants on each ship that varies.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie questions. I have looked at sample menus on HAL's website and see prices next to certain items. I am assuming that on top of the cover charge, right? Plus, the 18% service charge is based on what if the cover charge is included in a promo package and no additional surcharge item is ordered?

LAX

4 minutes ago, LAX said:

I have looked at sample menus on HAL's website and see prices next to certain items. I am assuming that on top of the cover charge, right? Plus, the 18% service charge is based on what if the cover charge is included in a promo package and no additional surcharge item is ordered?

Correct. There will be an 18% service charge levied on the extra-cost item.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Correct. There will be an 18% service charge levied on the extra-cost item.

If I don't order any extra-cost item and the cover charge is included, would it be awkward not leaving any tip? Or is it already included as part of crew appreciation?

LAX

Posted (edited)

Hi, it's me again!   The gratuity is included in the charge for the meal, whether from the HIA or paid separately. ($46 X 0.18 = $8.28 per meal at Pinnacle Grill) I personally have only given extra gratuity when something super special was provided by my waiter. (coming from a former waitress/bartender) Only happened twice so far.  But do what feels right to you in the moment.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LAX said:

If I don't order any extra-cost item and the cover charge is included, would it be awkward not leaving any tip? Or is it already included as part of crew appreciation?

Specialty restaurants' tips are not part of Crew Appreciation, but they are included with bundled specialty meals in HIA. 18% is figured in. I commonly do a back-of-envelope calculation and bring it up to 20% (our shoreside baseline), but that is not necessary. And if you do go for a extra-cost item, the 18% is added for you and you still do not have to add more.

Grew Appreciation covers and is allocated thus:

30% Room Steward(s)

30% Waiters [this is why your card is requested at MDR]

40% Those who work behind the scenes supporting the passengers (laundry,

cooks, cleaning crews, cooks, etc.)  Non-passenger support crew (lifeboat

drivers, engine folks, etc.).

I owe this breakdown to Roger: @Crew News.

HAL newbie here. I have read that children eat free in specialty restaurants yet my TA informed me that we will have to pay $54 for my 12 year old granddaughter when we dine at Pinnacle Grill because she is the 3rd person in a cabin with the HIA promo. She will most likely choose the chicken strips off the children's menu so $54 seems a little excessive to me. Can anyone clarify for me? TIA

1 hour ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

HAL newbie here. I have read that children eat free in specialty restaurants yet my TA informed me that we will have to pay $54 for my 12 year old granddaughter when we dine at Pinnacle Grill because she is the 3rd person in a cabin with the HIA promo. She will most likely choose the chicken strips off the children's menu so $54 seems a little excessive to me. Can anyone clarify for me? TIA

IMG_1292.thumb.jpeg.371d888e19583e9d9cfe50edce36c000.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2