Palate Cleansers in Luminae?

7 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

They were called an “Amuse Bouche”.

but were often sherbert. to us they were.better  than the odd things served now!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I guess I wouldn't put that in the same category. But maybe the OP does. Amuse Bouche is normally served before the first course, which is what they do in Luminae today. That's become the style in most high end restaurants, especially French, and almost universally in Michelin-starred restaurants. Typically 1-3 small bites that are designed to show off the chef's creativity and prepare you for the meal. I've really enjoyed the ones they serve in Luminae.

The "palate cleanser" is served between courses, probably mostly on tasting menus. Sorbet used to be common (may still be; haven't had one in awhile) or typically a clear liqueur, like a grappa or maybe a Gran Marnier depending on the before and after course. Sometimes a sparkling wine. Small glass just to indicate a course change. I've not seen either in Luminae. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I believe the OP is referring to the frozen Granitas which was once served after the appetizer and before the main course.    They use to have a different flavor each night.

The Amuse Bouche is served prior to the Appetizer

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4

I don't recall Luminae ever serving palate cleansers but they usually serve an amuse bouche.  As Markeb explained above, they are completely different things.  Amuse bouche literally translates to an amusement for the mouth; it's a teaser to show off the chef's creativity served at the beginning of the meal.  A palate cleanser is a refreshing sorbet served between courses to prepare your palate for the next one.

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

Last Nov. in Murano they did serve 'amuse bouche' as well as a sorbet after the entree.  I understand a palate cleanser can be bread or cheese which interrupts tastes from the preceding offering and before the next.

Edited by Oceangoer2

In 2015 when Luminae was launched they did serve a palate cleanser as well as an amuse-bouche. They still serve the amuse-bouche, setting it on the charger and then removing the charger when you’ve finished the amuse-bouche.

When LLP launched the Luminae dining rooms she had big plans. I remember there being mention of artisanal chocolates, a different flavor each day. She threw all sorts of things at the wall, and it was interesting to see what stuck. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

In 2015 when Luminae was launched they did serve a palate cleanser as well as an amuse-bouche. They still serve the amuse-bouche, setting it on the charger and then removing the charger when you’ve finished the amuse-bouche.

When LLP launched the Luminae dining rooms she had big plans. I remember there being mention of artisanal chocolates, a different flavor each day. She threw all sorts of things at the wall, and it was interesting to see what stuck. 

Guess the chocolates didn't make the wall....😄

4 hours ago, markeb said:

The "palate cleanser" is served between courses, probably mostly on tasting menus. Sorbet used to be common (may still be; haven't had one in awhile) or typically a clear liqueur, like a grappa or maybe a Gran Marnier depending on the before and after course. Sometimes a sparkling wine. Small glass just to indicate a course change. I've not seen either in Luminae. 

What most people don't know is the reason that cruise ships sometimes use Grand Marnier as a palate cleanser.  It was originally called Grand MARINER and cruise ship sommeliers thought it fit well with the whole ocean theme.  It wasn't until later that the liqueur was renamed to Grand MARNIER when they started to sell it in the French market.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

What most people don't know is the reason that cruise ships sometimes use Grand Marnier as a palate cleanser.  It was originally called Grand MARINER and cruise ship sommeliers thought it fit well with the whole ocean theme.  It wasn't until later that the liqueur was renamed to Grand MARNIER when they started to sell it in the French market.

I found this original name interesting...guess the 'Grand Mariner' name was a legend.

"The Marnier family distillery has been family owned and operated since 1827. The orange flavored Cognac liqueur was created by Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle, who learned how to distill from his father, a wine and spirt merchant.

2. It can only be made in one place in the world: Cognac, France.

3. Its original name, Curaçao Marnier, didn't sit well with César Ritz, owner of the famed Ritz hotel in Paris. He recommended that it be changed to Grand Marnier."

3 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I found this original name interesting...guess the 'Grand Mariner' name was a legend.

"The Marnier family distillery has been family owned and operated since 1827. The orange flavored Cognac liqueur was created by Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle, who learned how to distill from his father, a wine and spirt merchant.

2. It can only be made in one place in the world: Cognac, France.

3. Its original name, Curaçao Marnier, didn't sit well with César Ritz, owner of the famed Ritz hotel in Paris. He recommended that it be changed to Grand Marnier."

Well look here.  We can’t BOTH be right, can we?

Amuse-bouche and a palette cleanser are two totally different things. They are not interchangeable and you definitely would not serve that beet amuse-bouche that they love as a pallet cleanser. In Luminae they still serve an amuse-bouche before serving appetizers. I can’t recall a palette cleanser being served between courses since early 2022 on Reflection. Maybe they do in Murano but I haven’t dined there in at least 2.5 years. 

• Like 1