Door Decoration banned on Regal Princess

Btimmer

1 minute ago, azbirdmom said:

I ordered a bunch of personalized magnets to celebrate my best buddies big birthday last summer when we cruised on the Regal.  All were in good taste and she put a couple on the door and the rest on the walls inside.  We also got silly ones that say "Beware: This Cabin Bought the Drink Package".  None of us really drinks to excess, we just thought it was funny.  I've seen a lot of cute magnets on doors and it would be sad not to see those any longer.  Even Oceania allowed door decorations although it didn't seem that there were as many up as we've seen on Princess.

I completely agree and gives me something to look at while walking down mundane hallways...I would have enjoyed your magnets!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cnice515 said:

As I replied when I pasted the Princess rules that, by using common sense, the decorations that you mention would all be included in the category as violating the Princess Guidelines.

However, not ALL decorations will violate said guidelines so to make an overarching, overreaching statement, whether directly or insinuating, that all decorations are a fire hazard is patently false.

The guidelines linked and shared are for Carnival Cruise line, not Princess. Not sure I have ever seen any guidelines on any Princess FAQ. 

Really, I have no problem with it as long as people are respectful and don't create problems for the room stewards. They already work so hard and it is a shame that policing this practice seems to fall to them.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Beat me to it. My door decorations have saved me from trying to enter the wrong room more than once. (Seriously, I've knocked on the right door, wrong deck before. Luckily no one was home. I finally figured it out) 😉

You mean your medallion setting off your profile picture doesn’t do it ?  Back in my working days I worked in a huge building with wings and numerous rooms with cubicles that all looked the same. A co worker had problems finding their cubicle so the put a decoration on a wall. We had great fun moving it around especially on April 1 each year

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

On our last sailing, one person had decorated their entire door as well as the walls on the side of the door.  It was way over the top and tacky.  

I'm also in the minority as I like the policy change. 

And as for the Princess door decoration, perhaps they are no longer including them and just haven't updated their website.  We all know that they are not the best at updating anything but pricing. 

Last year jo and I woke to an alarming shrill coming from outside our cabin. I donned my robe and slowly opened the door. There stood a uniformed officer and a passenger.  Apparently someone had vandalized her her thoughtful door decor and made off with the some of the delectable decorations. She was adamant that a search be implemented at once. "you don't understand, that pineapple has been with us for over twenty cruises" . I laughed, she glared at me. I quietly retreated back into my cabin. 

Some of the decorations are amusing. I'm thinking they don't make their way back into the suit case when the passengers disembark. Leaving addition labor/time/trash for the room attendants to grapple with. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, c-boy said:

you don't understand, that pineapple has been with us for over twenty cruises

With what I have learned today, I now want to know if the pineapple was upside down...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, memoak said:

This appears to be decorations inside the cabin and the door sign is probably the one that shows you profile picture when you enter

You never know unless you buy it!  😂 

I'm surprised they said decorations were a fire hazard. They should have used their usual excuse for everything: Operational Reasons

We don't decorate our door so this really doesn't affect us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SamFaniam said:

With what I have learned today, I now want to know if the pineapple was upside down...

Let’s just say you have to enjoy a particular type of “Fun”

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

How the hell am I going to find my cabin at 3am now staggering down the corridor is bad enough without trying to figure out the numbers

When my Dad’s Alzheimer’s started progressing to where he’d have a hard time finding his way, I would print a Greek flag to bring on cruises and put on his cabin door so he could find the cabin more easily. I’m glad this silly rule didn’t exist then. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cnice515 said:

My DW will be decorating our door as usual until someone tells me otherwise and I have the opportunity to debate my decision.

I'd hate to be the cabin steward that has to explain the rules to a cruiser who is really ticked off by the situation. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

When my Dad’s Alzheimer’s started progressing to where he’d have a hard time finding his way, I would print a Greek flag to bring on cruises and put on his cabin door so he could find the cabin more easily. I’m glad this silly rule didn’t exist then. 

As has been mentioned in this thread, those who don’t use common sense about their door decorations results in punishing even the responsible people like for your Dad.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, that said:

@Btimmer

Perhaps you can request written copy of policy and share on this site, please?

I asked and they wouldn't give it to me.  I did read the official document.

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Agree.... always thought they took away from Princess elegance. 

I think many of the decorators probably are reliving their teen years when they decorated the outside of their lockers.  I wasn't impressed then or now.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, that said:

@Btimmer

Perhaps you can request written copy of policy and share on this site, please?

Isn't a crew member telling you enough? Why does a guest need to ask to see it in writing? So they can post online?  

Edited by startedwithamouse

2 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

It's scary when people say they have trouble finding their cabins without door decoration identifiers or a Medallion.  

Before the medallions, one Princess cruise in 2016, I put a sailing themed decoration on the door.

I always take mine down the night before debarkation, well, going back to my cabin one night around evening turn down service, I walked right past it, my room steward was down the hall where I was heading and smiled at me and pointed in the other direction and said your cabin is back there Miss Toni. We laughed. I really do depend on them I guess, plus they're just fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, 555 said:

I'd hate to be the cabin steward that has to explain the rules to a cruiser who is really ticked off by the situation. 

Well, if the guest takes it out on them, or other security, that's grounds for getting kicked off the ship. 

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

And you let him wander around the ship by himself ?

Yes. I’d get us cabins near the Lido and he’d get himself a cup of coffee or a slice of pizza. When he was too far along with the disease I didn’t take him on cruises anymore. 

• Like 4