Container Ship Struck Key Bridge in Baltimore, Bridge has Collapsed

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

Or the port in Bayonne NJ

That was my initial thought.  They could fly them home from Orlando, Miami or Fort Lauderdale, but I doubt logistics would be any easier.

Edited by A&L_Ont

12 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

Or the port in Bayonne NJ

It'll be either one. Bayonne or Roanoke for sure if Philadelphia isn't an option. Wonder if Royal would share their Bayonne terminal w/Carnival if they can?

Posted (edited)

Living in Baltimore, this is an enormous tragedy for loss of life and going to cause long term issues with cargo and cruise ships into Baltimore. The bridge was an integral part of the beltway around Baltimore. My office is directly across from the cruise terminal.  The major reason larger ships cannot get into the port is due to depth of the channel. They frequently have to dredge to keep the channels open both in the bay and in the port. 

Edited by CardowMD

3 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I just realized, this must be the I95 bypass around Baltimore we all use when driving back and forth from Florida to the north.

No, it's the 695 bridge. 95 is a tunnel under the harbor.

At approximately 1:30 am, a cargo ship hit the bridge causing a collapse. My prayers go out to those transversing the bridge at the time of collapse. This waterway is a major shipping port for goods and cruise ships. Lets send our prayers to those affected. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I just realized, this must be the I95 bypass around Baltimore we all use when driving back and forth from Florida to the north.

Yes we used that route through Baltimore many times due to congestion 😟

10 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

No, it's the 695 bridge. 95 is a tunnel under the harbor.

They referred to the bridge as I95 bypass around Baltimore.. Not 95 itself. Lots of people bypass the tunnels when transiting the Baltimore area and use this bridge instead.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, toad455 said:

It'll be either one. Bayonne or Roanoke for sure if Philadelphia isn't an option. Wonder if Royal would share their Bayonne terminal w/Carnival if they can?

Roanoke?  That would be interesting considering where it's located. I assume you meant Norfolk.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

How could any ship have struck it? It was lit up like a Christmas tree. Something very wrong  happened on that ship....

Appears to be a power failure on the ship.

Roy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

How could any ship have struck it? It was lit up like a Christmas tree. Something very wrong  happened on that ship....

My DH said he heard that the ship went dark right before, so a loss of power could easily have caused it.  There were 2 pilots onboard who know the harbor.

19 minutes ago, toad455 said:

@chengkp75 made the point that clearances under the bridges would be a problem even for the smaller Vision class in Philadelphia. I was thinking in your direction too until he mentioned this.

Just now, ChutChut said:

For sure. Just heard they lost power and tried to drop the anchor to slow the ship. If you think about how many ships have passed under this bridge without this happening before, it is amazing. FBI is also there helping to run the investigation, from logistics to the possibility of terrorism.

• Like 1

It’s possible they could use Sparrows Point to offload the passengers but that’s pretty close to the scene and I don’t know if authorities will want any ships near that area for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

Maybe they can dock at Norfolk, Va port. 

I was thinking Norfolk as well. It’s not used a lot so might have better availability than the NYC area ports. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, toad455 said:

In such a case as this you’d think so. However Carnival also used Manhattan and Norfolk already so that might be easier anyway.

Wow! I am shocked this happened let alone the bridge collapsing like that! I am on the next cruise of the Vision of the Seas so it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.