Container Ship Struck Key Bridge in Baltimore, Bridge has Collapsed

12 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Port options and alternatives are getting pretty slim pickings if Norfolk is out of play.

Philadelphia is out of play.

Baltimore is obviously out of play with no idea when it will be available again.

Bayonne looks like the lone possibility if the scheduling allows it.

Why is Philly out of play? We had the smaller cruise ships sail out of here in the 90's, the Navy Yard COULD handle it, and its a straight shot back down 95. I think Wilmington or Norfolk are more likely, but don't think Philly would be completely out of the picture for any reason- no low bridges, in fact we just had the biggest and highest container ship to ever sail on the East coast come through 2 weeks ago. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, robmtx said:

We have deep water... We don't have a bridge to clear. 

All we'd need is a shoreside setup with tents or something to help accommodate the operations. If Royal and Carnival teamed up, I think they could have this ready by the weekend when Carnival is due back.

Completely forgot that Carnival is involved too.

• Like 1

The mayor of Baltimore was just on the news stating what a traffic nightmare this will be until a new bridge is completed. Might this force Royal and Carnival to move their ships elsewhere?

• Like 1

Just now, toad455 said:

The mayor of Baltimore was just on the news stating what a traffic nightmare this will be until a new bridge is completed. Might this force Royal and Carnival to move their ships elsewhere?

Yes and not might, will, for some time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Why is Philly out of play? We had the smaller cruise ships sail out of here in the 90's, the Navy Yard COULD handle it, and its a straight shot back down 95. I think Wilmington or Norfolk are more likely, but don't think Philly would be completely out of the picture for any reason- no low bridges, in fact we just had the biggest and highest container ship to ever sail on the East coast come through 2 weeks ago. 

Actually I think Wilmington and Philly have the same prob: The Del Memorial bridge has a 166ft clearance below.. That's fine for massive cargo ships but not so much for tall cruise ships like the ones in Baltimore 😞

1 minute ago, Scottdalfonso said:

@chengkp75 stated that there was not enough clearance. I do not know what the Vision Class clearance is but I will defer to his expertise.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, robmtx said:

We have deep water... We don't have a bridge to clear. 

All we'd need is a shoreside setup with tents or something to help accommodate the operations. If Royal and Carnival teamed up, I think they could have this ready by the weekend when Carnival is due back.

I remember driving 495 and seeing an Azamara cruise ship in the port

1 minute ago, toad455 said:

no other option. it will be a long clean up. and that doesnt take into consideration the local traffic. it will be year/s before another bridge can be built. 

Posted (edited)

I'm not familiar with this area. Do cruise ships travel under this bridge to get to/from the pier? If so, I wonder where ships will be loading and unloading passengers for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by cruiseguy1016

2 hours ago, BND said:

We're booked on Vision for 4 and 12 April. There are at least 7 people missing. I know they'll work to clear the channel as soon as possible.  Not sure when the Carnival ship is due in but Vision is in 9 days.

Legend due back 3/31. Vision 4/4 your cruise. Have a good one. 

Ship had a fire & lost power twice & lost it when it hit. No power, no steering & something that big you can't 🛑 remotely fast. 

4 minutes ago, toad455 said:

The traffic nightmare will exist until the new bridge is finished.

The marine traffic will be OK once the site is cleared of debris and investigation ends.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I'm not familiar with this area. DO cruise ships travel under this bridge to get to/from the pier? If so, I wonder where ships will be loading and unloading passengers for the foreseeable future. 

Yes, Vision of the Seas and Carnival Legend do. 

See this thread:

1 minute ago, toad455 said:

So is Norfolk out? Carnival usually sails out of Norfolk in the summers. Not sure when Royal last sailed out of there.

Just checked. Carnival returns to Norfolk in February 2025.

8 minutes ago, robmtx said:

Actually I think Wilmington and Philly have the same prob: The Del Memorial bridge has a 166ft clearance below.. That's fine for massive cargo ships but not so much for tall cruise ships like the ones in Baltimore 😞

I'm not an expert, nor do I know any of the bridge clearances up the Delaware, however Enchantment did call in Philly once or twice after her lengthening back in ~2005?  Also, the port of Wilmington has hosted a P&O Grand Class ship a good 10 or more years ago.  Both of those would have sailed under the Delaware Memorial Bridges.  

10 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I think Wilmington or Norfolk are more likely, but don't think Philly would be completely out of the picture for any reason- no low bridges, in fact we just had the biggest and highest container ship to ever sail on the East coast come through 2 weeks ago. 

Delaware Memorial Bridge has a clearance of 174 feet.  Vision class ships are 165-170 feet (not quite sure), and they won't let a ship under unless there is a minimum clearance of 10-12 feet.  And, this will vary with tides.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

I’d be surprised if a temporary terminal’s set up anywhere. That would be a costly logistical nightmare.

Far easier for Royal to use Bayonne where the necessary infrastructure is already in place (not least CBP capability). It’s not busy - in April it only seems to be used once a week, by Anthem on Sundays.

For those passengers unable or unwilling to drive Royal could arrange travel with Amtrak to Newark and lay on buses from there.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 3

Norfolk is indeed out. The port and the terminal are both under construction. Vision probably has their next two cruises cancelled unless it moves up to Bayonne. Carnival has little options for the Legend. Charleston? Share Bayonne with Royal?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, toad455 said:

It'll be either one. Bayonne or Roanoke for sure if Philadelphia isn't an option. Wonder if Royal would share their Bayonne terminal w/Carnival if they can?

Carnival sails out of NYC, I believe.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

Even if Norfolk wasn’t under construction, they would have a very difficult time finding enough employees to make it feasible. Better to use an existing port than try to set up a temporary one. 

14 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

I’d be surprised if a temporary terminal’s set up anywhere. That would be a costly logistical nightmare.

Far easier for Royal to use Bayonne where the necessary infrastructure is already in place (not least CBP capability). It’s not busy - in April it only seems to be used once a week, by Anthem on Sundays.

For those passengers unable or unwilling to drive Royal could arrange travel with Amtrak to Newark and lay on buses from there.

Probably one of the most practical solutions presented. Shuttle buses from Bayonne to railway and Baltimore railway shuttle buses to the port where the cars are or to airports.

I think you have a winner.

55 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It sure matters to the people driving vehicles that cannot go through the Baltimore tunnels.

They will probably have to take 695 around the west of Baltimore. Longer route but not tunnels.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Probably one of the most practical solutions presented. Shuttle buses from Bayonne to railway and Baltimore railway shuttle buses to the port where the cars are or to airports.

I think you have a winner.

I think more likely they'd just run the shuttle buses from Bayonne to Baltimore. Amtrak's already busy this time of year so you'd probably be asking hundreds of people to stand and control their baggage. Then cancel sailings until the dry dock and afterwards run the ship out of Florida for a few months until the channel's clear and Baltimore's OK with cruise ships coming back. 

Be even better if you can alter the Vision's schedule. Cancel the last two ports, re-enter the country at Fort Lauderdale, get all the people who are using the cruise line's air off there and anyone else who wants to. Assume everyone will get at least a partial refund. Sure, this is an expensive solution but there are no cheap solutions and someone's insurance is paying.

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 1