Container Ship Struck Key Bridge in Baltimore, Bridge has Collapsed

23 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

I was thinking Norfolk as well. It’s not used a lot so might have better availability than the NYC area ports. 

If I recall the Norfolk port was used a few years back as a temporary port.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, westerdam said:

Wow! I am shocked this happened let alone the bridge collapsing like that! I am on the next cruise of the Vision of the Seas so it will be interesting to see how this unfolds. 

We're on the next two.  Waiting to see. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, westerdam said:

Wow! I am shocked this happened let alone the bridge collapsing like that! I am on the next cruise of the Vision of the Seas so it will be interesting to see how this unfolds. 

I'd be sweating any Vision cruise over the next few weeks. At a minimum they're going to have to offload passengers from the existing cruise somewhere else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BND said:

I feel like they will go ahead and try to sail from a nearby port with free bus transportation from the original parking lot?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BND said:

That is all one can do I suppose.  I am sure there is someplace the can dock the ship in the Baltimore area even if they have to set up temporary facilities with tents and whatnot. 

• Like 1

Next few weeks are sketchy at best (have to imagine a few weeks to clear debris and get any clear lanes open). This is a very significant cargo port and authorities will likely be prioritizing cargo ships. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Science52 said:

We live in the area. Cruises out of Baltimore will have to be rerouted including all the traffic going from DC to Baltimore.  My husband use to travel this bridge many times when he was in sales .

695 is a loop, while not convenient (it is longer) they can go west.

1 minute ago, KmomChicago said:

I feel like they will go ahead and try to sail from a nearby port with free bus transportation from the original parking lot?

The logistics involved are going to be a nightmare. There are about 2,400 passengers on the Vision currently.

They are going to need many buses.

Standard buses carry 47 to 55 passengers with room for luggage.

It might be their only option. They have to get back to their cars or airport.

Trying to use an alternate airport during Easter week is not going to be easy as it is a busy week for flying.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pghflyer said:

Next few weeks are sketchy at best (have to imagine a few weeks to clear debris and get any clear lanes open). This is a very significant cargo port and authorities will likely be prioritizing cargo ships. 

Agreed. Given the threat this poses to supply chains (and how toxic such issues are post-pandemic), cargo will likely be the priority and cruise ships will just need to figure things out on their own. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, temple1 said:

If I recall the Norfolk port was used a few years back as a temporary port.

We sailed out of Norfolk last August and they said the port was being closed for the next couple of years to dredge it out deeper.  So I don't think Norfolk is an option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I assume all Baltimore cruises will now be VA ones, since Norfolk is used so rarely.  There's no way cruise ships will be allowed to dock in Baltimore during the clean up and then rebuild of the bridge.  And that will take awhile.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramja96 said:

We sailed out of Norfolk last August and they said the port was being closed for the next couple of years to dredge it out deeper.  So I don't think Norfolk is an option.

Oooh...that's not good.  If true, ignore my prior thoughts...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toad455 said:

Or Philadelphia if they can fit. I know the main reason Philadelphia isn't used anymore is even ships like the Vision can't fit.

Another possibilty would be the Port of Wilmington.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Engineroom Snipe said:

The logistics involved are going to be a nightmare. There are about 2,400 passengers on the Vision currently.

They are going to need many buses.

Standard buses carry 47 to 55 passengers with room for luggage.

It might be their only option. They have to get back to their cars or airport.

Trying to use an alternate airport during Easter week is not going to be easy as it is a busy week for flying.

Yes somehow they have to get current passengers to their cars or original airport. I wonder if they’ll even come in a day early to allow extra time, spend that last night in port, allow people off if they prefer to deal with things on their own and avoid whatever chaos debark will entail. 

Agree best case it won’t be pretty. For future cruises same. Worst case, full cancellation. 

Of course some percentage of cruisers drive rather than fly and can drive a few more or fewer miles to a different port. Maybe figure half? 

Posted (edited)

Since there are only 2 more sailings prior to drydock it would not surprise me in the least to see those 2 sailings cancelled and park her until the drydock if the drydock can't be pushed ahead.  That will give them time to figure out a longer term solution if access to Baltimore will be restricted for any length of time

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

Port options and alternatives are getting pretty slim pickings if Norfolk is out of play.

Philadelphia is out of play.

Baltimore is obviously out of play with no idea when it will be available again.

Bayonne looks like the lone possibility if the scheduling allows it.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Isn’t Vision soon going to dry dock?  If that is the case I could foresee the remaining cruises being cancelled, especially if arrangements for another embarkation port are difficult to set up on short notice. I can’t see how that would be easy, let alone the guests getting there and back VS their original plan of Baltimore.

Edit to add: just read what @Ourusualbeach beach posted as I was typing. Seems like getting the guests home on the ship is the first concern for RC and then cancelling the next two sailings seems to be the news to come. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

None of that matters if the ship can’t get to the port. 

It sure matters to the people driving vehicles that cannot go through the Baltimore tunnels.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Engineroom Snipe said:

Port options and alternatives are getting pretty slim pickings if Norfolk is out of play.

Philadelphia is out of play.

Baltimore is obviously out of play with no idea when it will be available again.

Bayonne looks like the lone possibility if the scheduling allows it.

They’ll have to consider schedule changes then, another logistical nightmare. 

How about the Manhattan terminal where Cunard goes?

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Since there are only 2 more sailings prior to drydock it would not surprise me in the least to see those 2 sailings cancelled and park her until the drydock if the drydock can't be pushed ahead.  That will give them time to figure out a longer term solution if access to Baltimore will be restricted for any length of time

Very logical conclusion which might not be avoidable.

For the sake of those on the two trips that might be canceled, I hope Royal makes the decision as soon as possible to keep cruisers from stressing about the unknown that they cannot control.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, happyshelly said:

Another possibilty would be the Port of Wilmington.

We have deep water... We don't have a bridge to clear. 

All we'd need is a shoreside setup with tents or something to help accommodate the operations. If Royal and Carnival teamed up, I think they could have this ready by the weekend when Carnival is due back.

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, westerdam said:

That is all one can do I suppose.  I am sure there is someplace the can dock the ship in the Baltimore area even if they have to set up temporary facilities with tents and whatnot. 

6 minutes ago, robmtx said:

We have deep water... We don't have a bridge to clear. 

All we'd need is a shoreside setup with tents or something to help accommodate the operations. If Royal and Carnival teamed up, I think they could have this ready by the weekend when Carnival is due back.

Sparrows Point is another temporary option that has surfaced. The news this morning said it would take a month just to clear the bridge. 

IMG_4034.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1