The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday March 29th, 2024

kazu

Good Friday

Today is National Virtual Vacation Day, Mermaid Day, and National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day

Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act. - Truman Capote

Meal Suggestion for today - Italian Sub Broccoli Salad
Drink of the Day - Alien Secretion
Wine of the Day - Clinet 2020 (750ML)
Destination of the Day - Nuuk (Godthab), Greenland 

Today in History:
1974 Chinese farmers discover the Terracotta Army near Xi'an, 8,000 clay warrior statues buried to guard the tomb of China's 1st emperor, Qin Shi Huang

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos 11:30 - 19:30 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 03-30

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 03-30

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Key West, Florida eta 03-30

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Panama City, Fuerte Amador, Balboa eta 03-30

Rotterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 15:00 

Volendam

At Sea Destination Nuku Hiva Island, Taiohae, Marquesas French Polynesia eta 03-30

Zaandam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 03-30

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Fiordland National Park, New Zealand 

Westerdam

Yokohama, Tokyo, Japan Kanagawa 06:30 - 19:00 

Zuiderdam

Mala, Maldives 8:00 -

• Like 21
  • Thanks 25

Today’s Care List:

Summer slope hit in golf cart by a car, thrown out of cart

Seasick Sailor’s DH Allen with abnormal lab results, eczema flareup

Marshhawk seeing Neurologist

JazzyV with R leg pain, numbness

RIP Joe Lieberman

2 crew members killed due to steam line bursting on Nieuw Amsterdam

Baltimore Key Bridge collapse, 6 people presumed dead

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; Haiti unrest

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Ger_77’s DH Maurice needing heart valve replacement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Smmessineo!

Bon Voyage POA1 & Huskerchick (Brian & Michelle)!

Welcome Home Scrapnana (Kathi)!

Ladyhogrider departing for Utah

Smitty34877 traveling to NH for Easter

USN59-79 in Taipei

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Ocean sounds (Zaandam Mar 30 to Apr 13) 14d Solar Eclipse & Mexican Riviera

2 days for Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam Mar 31 to April 7) B2B 7d E. Caribbean + (Nieuw Statendam Apr 7 to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure

7 days for Lobsternight (Koningsdam April 5 to April 27) 22d Solar Eclipse, Mexican Riviera and Hawaii

Suslor (Zaandam to Mar 30) 14d Panama Canal, Lazey1 (Koningsdam to Mar 30) 7d Mexico,  RedneckBob (Nieuw Statendam to March 31) 7d E. Caribbean, GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam to Apr 6) B2B 7d Mexico + 7d Pacific Coastal, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Smmessineo (Rotterdam to Apr 7) 9d S. Caribbean Wayfarer, POA1 & Huskerchick (Rotterdam to Apr 7) 9d S. Caribbean Wayfarer, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 28

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report!

Not much to report from here. Looking at Caribbean cruises for March of 2026, and the HAL prices have increased significantly for suites. We may wait and book later if prices drop or look at options with Crystal.

I hope everyone here has a wonderful weekend!  

2007CPcruise 137.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

It’s 60 right now going up to 81 with sunny skies.

Good selection of days.

Can’t argue with the quote, Capote had a way with words.

I’m not sure what a Sub salad is.

Greenland was never on my bucket list.

Illinois wins and is in the elite 8. 
Great to have baseball back even though my teams lost their openers.

Have a really early tee time this AM as we have a Men’s Day shotgun start tournament with lunch included followed by an election of our Men’s Golf Assn. officers.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Alien Secretion cocktial:

Get ready to embark on an otherworldly taste experience with the intriguing "Alien Secretion" cocktail. This enigmatic libation combines a mysterious fusion of flavors that will transport your taste buds to a different dimension. With its playful and quirky name, the Alien Secretion cocktail promises a refreshing and delightful surprise. Whether you're hosting a themed party or simply seeking an adventurous and unconventional drink, this cocktail is sure to intrigue and captivate with every sip.

Ingredients:

1 oz. vodka
1 oz. pineapple juice
1 oz. coconut rum
1 oz. midair melon liqueur

Directions:

In a cocktail shaker halfway with ice cubes add the vodka, coconut rum, melon liqueur, and pineapple juice.
If desired, add a splash of sweet and ague mix for an extra tangy twist.
Shake vigorously for about 20 seconds to combine all the ingredients and call the cocktail.
In a glass with fresh ice cubes strain the mixture from the shaker and garnish the cocktail with a lime slice or a cherry.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 6.20.34 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool and cloudy today, but no snow.🙂  We'll be heading down to Cambridge to spend the day with my mom. My brothers, niece and great niece will also stop in for a visit.   I've made a carrot cake for mom and cookies for my brothers.

Capote certainly had a way with words.

I'm looking forward to seeing a recipe for today's meal, not sure about it.  The drink sounds intriguing but I'll pass.  I hope the wine is good and not expensive.

I've never been to Greenland.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a peaceful day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Good morning friends!  It's 38F and clear now.  Today will be a lovely sunny day with a high of 72.  It's not gonna rain and it's Friday! 🌞  DD was out the door just before 4:30 a.m. so as to avoid the worst of Atlanta traffic.  Praying for safe travels for her and all of you doing some traveling for the Easter holiday.  

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting today's Daily and Fleet Report and the fleet location maps for Rich @richwmn.  We appreciate it!  It is Good Friday.  I like all the days we recognize on this day, virtual vacations, mermaids, and Mom and Pop business owners.  I consider DGD Morgan my little mermaid and my aunt and uncle owned a tiny convenience store when they retired.  They had 10 children so were always short of money.  We used to go purchase candy when we visited them.  An interesting quote by Truman Capote.  Who knows what a sub salad is?  Debbie does!  The name of the drink of the day makes me say Yuck!  No idea what type of wine Clinet 2020 is.  And what a day that was in 1974 when the terracotta army was discovered.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your special reports today.❤️

Prayers said for DB, great nephew Alex's twin boys, friends Scott, Susan and Sandy.  Also for the people suffering during wartime, the hostages still missing and held, and our troops in the region.  Many prayers for the family of slain NYPD Officer Diller, and those lost on Monday during the bridge collapse in Baltimore.  Prayers for all here on the Care list and hoping for improvement in your conditions and situations.  Thinking especially of Joy's @Seasick Sailor's Allen, Tana, Dixie @summer slope, Vanessa @JazzyV, Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando, Maurice and Gerry @ger_77, Jane @lazey1, Roy @rafinmd, Jacqui @kazu, Maureen and Richard @RMLincoln, Melisa and DH @HAL Sailer and I know I've forgotten a few but know you aren't without prayers!🙏

Cheers to our cruisers and birthday/anniversary celebrants! 🥂 🚢 Bon Voyage @POA1!  Welcome home @erewhon and Kathi @Scrapnana🎉 Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for your list today.  Wishing you a good day and less pain.

The port today is Nuuk (Godthab), Greenland- a first timer!  I love seeing Greenland and would choose it over a Caribbean port any day!  We visited Nuuk in 2018 on Seabourn Quest while on our Voyage of the Vikings II cruise.  I'll get some photos to share next.

Hoping you all have a wonderful day!  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors!

RNB almost live from the beautiful and elegant N. Statendam after the orange party last nite. Speaking of orange great sun rise few minutes ago with a bright orange sun!

IMG_1791.thumb.jpeg.f2442bc0021556fe26b8d354a0dd2c2f.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Happy Friday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Expecting sun and a high in the 50s today. 

Self-care day. Chiropractor in the morning and a massage in the evening. Finishing up grading for three classes. Hope to enjoy a quiet weekend, 

Bon voyage to @Smmessineo, @POA1, and @Huskerchick.

Cruise Ship Bon Voyage Sign – The Rooshty Beach

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Good Morning Happy Friday Quote With A Cute Kitten Pictures, Photos ...

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Alien Secretion cocktial:

Get ready to embark on an otherworldly taste experience with the intriguing "Alien Secretion" cocktail. This enigmatic libation combines a mysterious fusion of flavors that will transport your taste buds to a different dimension. With its playful and quirky name, the Alien Secretion cocktail promises a refreshing and delightful surprise. Whether you're hosting a themed party or simply seeking an adventurous and unconventional drink, this cocktail is sure to intrigue and captivate with every sip.

Ingredients:

1 oz. vodka
1 oz. pineapple juice
1 oz. coconut rum
1 oz. midair melon liqueur

Directions:

In a cocktail shaker halfway with ice cubes add the vodka, coconut rum, melon liqueur, and pineapple juice.
If desired, add a splash of sweet and ague mix for an extra tangy twist.
Shake vigorously for about 20 seconds to combine all the ingredients and call the cocktail.
In a glass with fresh ice cubes strain the mixture from the shaker and garnish the cocktail with a lime slice or a cherry.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 6.20.34 AM.png

Wow, what a horrible name for a drink. It’s bad enough for these aliens to perform probes but too add secretions! 😳😬😳😬. Summer slope, you must thought it also bad since you misspelled cocktial!

• Like 7
  • Haha 15

Nuuk, Greenland

On August 12, 2018 we stopped in Nuuk on our Route of the Vikings II cruise on Seabourn Quest.  This cruise took an extensive look at Greenland with 7 ports of call plus scenic cruising in Prince Christian Sound.  Nuuk is the capital and largest city in Greenland with a population of over 19,000 in 2022.

We docked and had shuttle buses to take us away from the pier to the downtown area.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We set out walking and enjoy the colorful buildings, and beautiful water.

I wouldn’t mind living in this cozy little house.

I really loved this area of town.

This statue is called Mother of the Seas

Then we arrived at this beautiful church.  The name translates to Nuuk Cathedral otherwise known as Church of our Saviour.

We could see a statue up that hill so hiked up to see it.

The cemetery

Back at the ship we noticed Zodiacs heading out for a tour.

And back to the ship again hours later.

A wonderful place to spend the day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for our maps! It is a cool 52 here this morning. Lots of up & down temps this year. 

IMG_2651.jpeg.707df52b09a8b538382deb6c86609955.jpeg

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us, in spite of your pain and lack of sleep. Praying that the surgery eliminates the pain - permanently. 

Gym, Bindi walks and chores. Nothing exciting, and boy do I appreciate that!

IMG_2633.jpeg.ec0d680e3551ce56df91ba6d35079432.jpeg

IMG_2662.jpeg.76f7d9b33949faf297395287e05f3707.jpeg

IMG_2622.jpeg.b1460359ce58e4b9ec719e04ef2e96e5.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers. Terry, thinking of you and Tana. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Château Clinet 2020

Lots of fans of this Bordeaux blend. Though it sounds lovely, it is too pricey for me and there are so many lovely red blends that fit into my budget nicely. Widely available with online prices starting at $99.98.

Winemaker Notes

Blend: 80% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon

• 98James Suckling
    What a beautiful young wine, showing so much finesse and tension, with ultra-fine tannins and subtle and long flavors and character. It’s medium-bodied with extremely silky tannins that grow on the palate to a seamless finish. Harmonious. Another fine Pomerol for the cellar. Drink after 2027.
  • 98Jeb Dunnuck
    The 2020 Château Clinet checks in as a blend of 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, brought up in 80% new French oak. It's a rich, yet gorgeous wine with a wonderful sense of freshness in its ripe blue and black fruits as well as tobacco, chocolate, and damp earth. Full-bodied, beautifully balanced, and elegant on the palate, it has perfect tannins, a layered, elegant mouthfeel, and one hell of an impressive finish. One of the finest Pomerols in the vintage, it will benefit from just 3-5 years of bottle age and keep for two decades.
  • 95Decanter
    Dark and heady, smooth but still lean with a sense of seriousness with firm tannins that fill the mouth. Lovely high acidity offsets the powdery, chalky texture with perfumed blackberries and cherries alongside liquorice and cola touches. Rich and quite dense but with lovely persistence and energy.
  • 95Wine Enthusiast

This wine's dense tannins and bold black fruits are balanced by its fine acidity and a fresh element that cuts through the dark chocolate and black plum flavors to give a fine lift to what will be an impressive wine as it matures.

Barrel Sample: 93-95

• 94Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2020 Clinet offers up aromas of minty cherries, blackberries and cassis mingled with hints of licorice, loamy soil and rose petals. Full-bodied, broad and rich, with a layered mid-palate underpinned by powdery tannins that assert themselves on the youthfully firm finish, it's impressively balanced for a wine at 15% alcohol, but it remains a rather burly, powerful Clinet. Best After 2025

• 93Wine Spectator
    Sports spicy toast and warmed fruitcake out front, backed by a solid core of steeped cherry and blackberry notes to match. This is all wrapped up with singed vanilla and sweet tobacco on the finish, along with a tug of warm earth. Shows solid range, if a bit reliant on the toast. A strong effort for the vintage. Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon.
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 4

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily report.  It’s a rainy morning today with a promise that it will end around lunchtime.  While on the Eurodam JetBlue moved our November 9am flight to 11:30.  When we got home we rejected the change and booked a better time with Delta.  We had already booked the return trip home with Delta since JB didn’t have a good time to return after our NA cruise.  If this try with Delta goes well they may become our airline of choice.  Today is going to be another very busy work day.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.f8f61b56c3a00c7742b8ab12f6a5b267.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be another beautiful day here in mid-Michigan.  Lots of sunshine and highs in the low 50s.  Not much on the agenda today.  I am going to the pool for water fitness this morning.  

We are excited that we booked the transatlantic along with @kazu Jacqui, @ger_77 Gerry and Maurice, @marshhawk Annie and Chuck, @0106 Tina and Jonathon, and hopefully @Sharon in AZ Sharon. I hope I didn't forget anyone!  

Last night decimated my NCAA brackets.  I guess there is next year.  I'm going back to choosing my winning teams by the color of their uniforms.  It seems to work better.

Today's meal is an easy one and one that appeals to me.  You just take the fixings for an Italian sub minus the bread, add them to broccoli and toss with some red wine vinegar  dressing!  https://www.skinnytaste.com/italian-sub-broccoli-salad/

Italiansubbroccolisalad1.thumb.jpg.0a116b3d68663834ad79a4f99e8396ac.jpg

This salad is similar.  It has broccoli and cauliflower and the other veggies of an Italian sub minus the meats. You can easily add some in, if you wish.  https://www.ketofocus.com/recipes/broccoli-cauliflower-salad/

italiansubbroccolisalad2.jpg.cce0354c1ad83f7747e3b024aaad7575.jpg

Here's one more that makes a good base salad.  You can add your favorite parts of the Italian sub as well.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/quick-italian-broccoli-salad/

Italiansubbroccolisalad3.jpg.65db45c732d3024ecc171028a21c5450.jpg

Time to get moving!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 16

Good Friday morning everyone.

It’s raining here of course but that seems appropriate to me for Good Friday.  My generator is running (translation power is out) and people are stranded with flooding already.

IMG_1719.jpeg.e3da6a5c8476734a77d3120b86686293.jpeg

One of my potential dog sitters is actually stranded right now.  No one can get through.  The search for the right person continues.  I have stricken 7 people off and have 2 possibilities that show promise.  My preferred choice is someone here with Ivan.  But how do you check them out other than meeting them and ask for references??

IMG_1718.thumb.jpeg.b9e437165c0cb507b4520c958937931d.jpeg

If anyone has done this and you have any tips, please share.  I haven’t even thought of packing or a list or anything with this mess.  Thank heavens I made the name tags earlier.

Prayers for all who need them and cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone from somewhere between Toledo and Bryan Ohio. Thanks for the daily report.  I’ll be celebrating a real vacation today. Don’t think I’ll be celebrating mermaids but I will celebrate mom and pop business day.  I like the quote, I don’t think we’re prepared for how ugly the third act can get. Pass on the meal and drink suggestions.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for those on our prayer list. Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1