Embarkation day

Be sure to keep all documents, valuables, medications with you in a bag.  Dependent on your cruise line you may have access to your cabin to get your keys and lock up your valuables.  If a Caribbean cruise many people would like a swim suit in their carry on to be able to change and start vacation.  Bags will be delivered to a your cabin later.  We travel carry on size bags so take those with us and drop them in our cabin.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, clsee1515 said:

What do you take with you on the ship, on embarkation day?

As @SbbquilterUT said, anything not replaceable (or expensive, inconvenient to replace). For us, in addition to documents, valuables, & medications, this would be electronics as well as toiletries. In other words, we keep our "personal item" with us, and leave our suitcases (which are carry-on sized, but who wants to tote or wheel them all around the ship?) with the porters.

Edited by crystalspin

If I am going to leave my checked bag AND my carry on with the cruise line, I have a back pack that I transfer a few things to:

1) Any type of medication or supplement - you never know where luggage is stored before being loaded to the ship.  Especially in hot climates, your luggage could be in direct sun or hot truck beds for who knows how long and this could ruin medication.

2) Anything valuable such as jewelry 

3) Laptop if we brought it

4) Any documents or ID that are critical

Most often if we are getting on the ship, but don't have immediate access to our cabin, we will keep our carry on with us.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My wife

I was going to say the same thing. I guess you beat me to it.

With my total lack of sense of direction, I would be so lost without her that I doubt I would even be able to get to the ship. And if I did get there, could I ever find the cabin?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

With my total lack of sense of direction, I would be so lost without her that I doubt I would even be able to get to the ship. And if I did get there, could I ever find the cabin?

We have the reverse. My husband has a real sense of direction and I don't. So it's good that we stick together 🙂

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

My wife,an RN has literally kept me alive .When I was 75 I was critically ill and not expected to be on the planet much longer.

I am now in my 80’s.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, clo said:

We have the reverse. My husband has a real sense of direction and I don't. So it's good that we stick together 🙂

Lucky we are not a pair as we would always be lost. 🤦‍♂️

Probably the worst lost I ever did was on our first cruise. DW had us about to go on the train to Florence, and I unfortunately "corrected" her and got us on a train going the wrong way. We actually did not get to Florence for another 10 years when we took another Western Mediterranean cruise. 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My wife,an RN has literally kept me alive .When I was 75 I was critically ill and not expected to be on the planet much longer.

I am now in my 80’s.

My late mother was not a nurse, but she literally kept my late father alive after he fell and broke his hip when he was just short of 99 and not really supposed to survive the operation. (When we visited the next day at the hospital ICU, the doctor who we knew told he his instructions said "patient is not expected to live through the night".)

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

My late mother was not a nurse, but she literally kept my late father alive after he fell and broke his hip when he was just short of 99 and not really supposed to survive the operation. (When we visited the next day at the hospital ICU, the doctor who we knew told he his instructions said "patient is not expected to live through the night".)

If you have a spouse who cares about you as much as you care about her/him that helps you deal with illnesses.From all the posts I have read on CC about your wife my perception is that you love each other dearly.

• Thanks 1

All of the above (including my wife).  If we are embarking in a warm weather port, DW and I will usually put some swimwear into our carry-ons.  Once we can get in our cabin, we often change into swim suits and head to a deck chair we we relax and enjoy people watching.  Bottom line is that we treat the embarkation day like a sea day and quickly get into our normal routine.  

Hank

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Once we can get in our cabin, we often change into swim suits and head to a deck chair we we relax and enjoy people watching.  Bottom line is that we treat the embarkation day like a sea day and quickly get into our normal routine.  

I think for me, people watching is my most favourite onboard activity.

I am an "observer" by nature but also decide who I might approach and start a conversation with and who I might not.

• Like 3

On 5/20/2024 at 1:42 AM, crystalspin said:

As @SbbquilterUT said, anything not replaceable (or expensive, inconvenient to replace). For us, in addition to documents, valuables, & medications, this would be electronics as well as toiletries. In other words, we keep our "personal item" with us, and leave our suitcases (which are carry-on sized, but who wants to tote or wheel them all around the ship?) with the porters.

Good answer -- anything irreplaceable, expensive, inconvenient should stay in your possession.  

We always carry on sodas and/or wine (because we're cheap).  My husband wants to try bringing on our rolling carry-ons and attaching a 12-pack of soda to the top (I've ordered some nifty bungie cords from Amazon to hold them on).  The idea is that this might be easier than carrying the sodas in our hands.  Will we like this?  We'll have to get back to you later.  

On 5/21/2024 at 6:04 PM, Hlitner said:

All of the above (including my wife).  If we are embarking in a warm weather port, DW and I will usually put some swimwear into our carry-ons. 

No -- if I'm going to hit the pool early, I'll board wearing my swimsuit under a tee-dress type cover-up.  

• Thanks 1