Do these look cooked to you?

8 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

When I read this I looked in what I call my cruise “pharmacy bag” and sure enough I also have Imodium.  Plus pills for if you can’t go…. I pretty much have everything.
My DH says, packing for a cruise is easy…for him it is.  Until he got sick last year on a TA and said do we have cold meds….i said, well I do, did you bring any 😁. He got the hint. But of course he used them all. 

This is me and my DH exactly! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SquishTheWhale said:

I agree with the above posts that I'd expect them to take raw chicken a lot more seriously! I'm glad they did. They also asked for our cabin number, but it didn't seem to go anywhere.

He's not- it could well be a coincidence. At the time of the event we were only really concerned for my son as he's only 4 and had a couple of bites before we realised. He seems fine luckily.

Toddlers seem to be equipped with the most powerfully durable stomachs. They’ll find food that’s been under the couch for a month and still not succumb to food poisoning. Of course I’m not recommending you rely on the phenomenon and let your kid eat uncooked food, it’s just something I’ve noticed in the last 30 years of being a parent and grandparent. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Warning for people taking Imodium without knowing what is causing the runs.... you might be better off just dealing with the runs than artificially holding the germ/toxin in your body.  

You could end up with 24 hours of gastrointestinal distress without the Imodium, or take the Imodium and end up with hospitalization, surgery, and risk of death.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Toddlers seem to be equipped with the most powerfully durable stomachs. They’ll find food that’s been under the couch for a month and still not succumb to food poisoning. Of course I’m not recommending you rely on the phenomenon and let your kid eat uncooked food, it’s just something I’ve noticed in the last 30 years of being a parent and grandparent. 

Think you're right- an undercooked sausage is nothing to a child who licks the window on the bus

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, doghog said:

Of course he was. Good thing you didn't tell him his staff needs to cook the sausages longer in the oven as they aren't cooked in the oven. 😂

2 hours ago, BND said:

Pretty sure they are baked in an oven (just like bacon).  Restaurants do this routinely.  

2 hours ago, doghog said:

Pretty sure the sausages are cooked on a flat top along with the bacon and eggs.

2 hours ago, BND said:

Nope.  Sausage and bacon are baked ahead of time and kept warm.  It's much easier and much more efficient to bake them.  Ask next time you're onboard.

To settle this debate, the chef who came out told us very specifically that the sausages are cooked in the oven for 7 minutes and then put on the grill/hot plate

Edited by SquishTheWhale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, SquishTheWhale said:

To settle this debate, the chef who came out told us very specifically that the sausages are cooked in the oven for 7 minutes and then put on the grill/hot plate

Thanks for that update, That I won't dispute.

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

I bake my bacon in the oven.  Turns out so much nicer and it is a lot easier.  I also pack a wide variety of medications to cover most common illnesses.

Bacon, sausage and eggs at home cooked in a cast iron skillet. Yum,Yum. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

I’ve always thought they were like the ones in the store that come frozen and precooked. Then again I stopped eating meat 10 years ago and only see the boxes my husband buys. 

I'm sure they are bought in bulk, frozen. 

3 hours ago, SquishTheWhale said:

Useful to know. Although I wouldn't call it a slight pink tinge, some of them were red inside

Nitrates are used in some processed meats -  like smoked or cooked sausage – to control the growth of dangerous bacteria.  These same nitrates can bind to proteins in meat, preventing them from releasing oxygen molecules as they normally would during the cooking process.  As a result, the proteins remain oxygenized and maintain a red or pink color even when the meat is fully cooked.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

Warning for people taking Imodium without knowing what is causing the runs.... you might be better off just dealing with the runs than artificially holding the germ/toxin in your body.  

You could end up with 24 hours of gastrointestinal distress without the Imodium, or take the Imodium and end up with hospitalization, surgery, and risk of death.   

Agree, Thank You! Was hoping someone was going say this. Many things we took as Kids are not what we should give our Kids or even take now unless we know or Dr Ok's it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

Agree with this 100%!!  I got the runs after consuming a salad the night before we drove to the port. I was so afraid of having an issue on the way down I took Imodium to stop the runs.  I was deathly sick by the time we got to the hotel.  I would have been so much better off to let nature take its course and my body to have gotten rid of this problem naturally instead of holding it inside!!!

• Like 3

If it was chicken I would say good chance it made him sick, but pork...it is kind of like steak...you can eat it pink, similar in color to your pictures. However, back many years ago eating raw pork could cause trichinosis but now it is considered extremely rare. Personally I love pork chops and in high end restaurants they will often ask how do you want it cooked?...similar to steak. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brillohead said:

Sorry i dont agree with this. Yes all medicines have side effects for people and yes all could potentially get very ill, but the vast majority,id guess at way over 99% will be fine. I know lots of people who take Imodium and thats been prescribed by a Qualified Doctor not a TV or couch doctor and they have never had any issues. 👍

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Sorry i dont agree with this. Yes all medicines have side effects for people and yes all could potentially get very ill, but the vast majority,id guess at way over 99% will be fine. I know lots of people who take Imodium and thats been prescribed by a Qualified Doctor not a TV or couch doctor and they have never had any issues. 👍

And I've taken care a many, many hospitalized patients who have had a Qualified Doctor NOT prescribe them Imodium for the simple fact that doing so would worsen their situation.  I've also taken care of many hospitalized patients who DO have Imodium prescribed for them.  It's situation-dependent.

I'm not saying that Imodium/Loperamide in and of itself is a dangerous medication to take -- simply that taking it when unsure of the underlying cause of the illness can exacerbate the effects of the illness or cause additional complications that would not have occurred if the medication hadn't been used. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

And I've taken care a many, many hospitalized patients who have had a Qualified Doctor NOT prescribe them Imodium for the simple fact that doing so would worsen their situation.  I've also taken care of many hospitalized patients who DO have Imodium prescribed for them.  It's situation-dependent.

I'm not saying that Imodium/Loperamide in and of itself is a dangerous medication to take -- simply that taking it when unsure of the underlying cause of the illness can exacerbate the effects of the illness or cause additional complications that would not have occurred if the medication hadn't been used. 

Better out than in as my Mother would say 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, SquishTheWhale said:

Not a professional approach. Raw ground meat sausages should be cooked to a particular measured internal temperature. The USDA recommends 160F, (165F for chicken and turkey).

23 minutes ago, broberts said:

Not a professional approach. Raw ground meat sausages should be cooked to a particular measured internal temperature. The USDA recommends 160F, (165F for chicken and turkey).

There is a very good chance that the sausages were frozen and previously cooked. I’m pretty sure they know how to safely cook food for thousands of passengers onboard and aren’t winging it.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, gavvy said:

Better out than in as my Mother would say 🙂

I use that line with patients all the time... they'll be embarrassed about passing gas in front of me, and I always reassure them that nurses LOVE when patients are farting!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@brillohead I’m glad you mentioned not everyone with the runs should automatically take Imodium or the like.  I remember once my MIL had bad runs and I asked my physician father if we should give her some anti diarrhea medicine and he said it was better to let whatever was causing it get out…that making sure she stayed hydrated was the main issue.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2024 at 10:54 AM, SquishTheWhale said:

We are just off the Oasis and I will start by saying the majority of the cruise was great.

However towards the end of the week, we were eating brunch in the Windjammer and my husband and 4yr old son were sharing some sausages. My husband took a bite and it didn't taste quite right, so he cut them open and they did not look cooked inside. He immediately took them away from our son and raised the issue with a member of staff- very politely, mostly warning them that they should remove this tray of sausages from the buffet.

A chef was fetched who honestly was quite rude to us, insisting that they were in fact cooked and the red and translucent centres are 'just the fat'. We disagreed but felt unable to do anything more as they wouldn't accept it. They told us the sausages are cooked in the oven then grilled- however they were so pale in colour I'm not sure I can believe that.

Later we did visit guest services and make an official record of the incident as we were worried my son may become sick after eating them, and wanted it on file that we had reported undercooked food. We did late receive some kind of follow up from senior staff, but not that they would admit they were undercooked, they just checked in with us.

The next day my husband began to feel unwell, and spent the whole last day at sea vomiting. Unable to keep water down, he visited the medical centre who said it was flu and not food poisoning. I'm not arguing with a medical professional but it seems a big coincidence to just write off the chance it could be related to food. He opted to have an IV drip and some medication as he needed to be well enough to fly home the next day, which cost us nearly $300 (I am hoping to get this back from our insurance). Unfortunately him being sick did ruin the end of the cruise for us and made travelling home with a young child extra challenging as I had to manage all the bags etc myself. 

I'm now in two minds about making a complaint, but wanted some opinions first as I'm totally open to us being wrong about the sausages. Would you say these sausages are undercooked, or are they totally fine? Is it just the colour of the fat as they say?

IMG-20240519-WA0009.thumb.jpg.8dc936dcec1de91468d1852380c89263.jpg

IMG-20240519-WA0008.thumb.jpg.39ef2df823792a38edd9342c809a2b37.jpg

IMG-20240519-WA0007.thumb.jpg.686ac17bb55a3567214a8df97c63427d.jpg

They will never admit such a mistake!

On 5/21/2024 at 7:27 AM, brillohead said:

Influenza is a respiratory illness, not a gastrointestinal one.  

With that being said, he could have picked up any kind of virus (noro, etc.), at any point in the cruise.  

Influenza indeed has the symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea,  along with the rest, respiratory or not it is included in the symptoms of Influenza,   

People who have flu often feel some or all of these signs and symptoms:
  • fever* or feeling feverish/chills.
  • cough.
  • sore throat.
  • runny or stuffy nose.
  • muscle or body aches.
  • headaches.
  • fatigue (tiredness)
  • some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.