Can I use Onboard credit to pay for Princess Plus when I board?

Hello,

Is it possible to add Princess Plus to my cruise when I get on board, and use Onboard credit to pay for it?

I'm guessing that if I add the Plus program when I board it will get added to my onboard account, and therefore would be partially offset by my onboard credit.

Or...does adding the Plus program when on board work like buying Future Cruise Deposits, ie those get billed directly to your credit card at the time of purchase.

I've booked the Plus program a few times, but always included it in my initial booking. Does anyone know if it costs more if you wait to add it when you board? (assuming there is no change to the pricing between booking and boarding)

Thanks!

• Like 1

Just now, Raisinette said:

Hello,

Is it possible to add Princess Plus to my cruise when I get on board, and use Onboard credit to pay for it?

I'm guessing that if I add the Plus program when I board it will get added to my onboard account, and therefore would be partially offset by my onboard credit.

This is correct. Remember that passengers 1 & 2 in the cabin must have the same plus fare package.

• Like 1

You can definitely use OBC to pay for the package. I'm going a slightly different route and will be paying onboard with Princess Gift Cards purchases through AARP at an 8% discount. Not only does paying onboard avoid the extra cost on the Princess insurance I will pay less by using the discounted gift cards. With Plus that will be a saving of $4.80 per person per day. Just booked 25 days at sea so, for the two of us, that will be a total saving of $240. Gotta be a wise shopper... 😁

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Raisinette said:

Hello,

Or...does adding the Plus program when on board work like buying Future Cruise Deposits, ie those get billed directly to your credit card at the time of purchase.

I've booked the Plus program a few times, but always included it in my initial booking. Does anyone know if it costs more if you wait to add it when you board? (assuming there is no change to the pricing between booking and boarding)

Thanks!

As the others have said, yes, you definitely can buy the Plus (or Premier) package on board and pay for it with your OBC. As soon as you walk on the ship you will run into tables set up with crew members offering the sale. They will initialize it with their tabletand it goes "live" instantly.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the great info, I appreciate it!

I'm going to start a new thread to try and catch the attention of someone on board now in the hope of finding out the price for Plus if purchased on board.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

As the others have said, yes, you definitely can buy the Plus (or Premier) package on board and pay for it with your OBC.

All true.  But people should take note of one inconvenience (which may be set off by the cost savings) if buying Premier once you get on board.  Premier entitles the guest to 2 Specialty Dining credits.  If one makes reservations for those dinners before they get on board, they will have to pay up front with a credit card to secure the tables.  Once on board, and after purchasing Premier, those tables become "free" and you will have to ask for a refund . It won't happen automatically upon your purchase of Premier.  So that will cost you a trip to Guest Services and a wait for the refund.  Alternatively, one could wait to book their Specialty Dining once they get on board and after they purchase the package.  There will be no charge to the credit card, but dining times may be limited or sold out.  This only applies to Premier and not Plus since Plus does not include Specialty Dining credits. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raisinette said:

I'm going to start a new thread to try and catch the attention of someone on board now in the hope of finding out the price for Plus if purchased on board.

Onboard cost is the same is pre-cruise cost. Current cost is $60/pp/day

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

All true.  But people should take note of one inconvenience (which may be set off by the cost savings) if buying Premier once you get on board.  Premier entitles the guest to 2 Specialty Dining credits.  If one makes reservations for those dinners before they get on board, they will have to pay up front with a credit card to secure the tables.  Once on board, and after purchasing Premier, those tables become "free" and you will have to ask for a refund . It won't happen automatically upon your purchase of Premier.  So that will cost you a trip to Guest Services and a wait for the refund.  Alternatively, one could wait to book their Specialty Dining once they get on board and after they purchase the package.  There will be no charge to the credit card, but dining times may be limited or sold out.  This only applies to Premier and not Plus since Plus does not include Specialty Dining credits. 

I'm thinking about trying a Premier Marathon in a single day - Max out everything included, no cheating, and finish everything ... 6am to 6 am on a sea day

15 drinks - no problem

specialty dinner - be careful what I order - same with a casual meal

picture, prizes, order room service, order on app, wifi, CA, done

now the tough one(s) - fitness class, and to finish one of those hideous desserts

what did I leave out?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

and to finish one of those hideous desserts

what did I leave out?

You are only allocating yourself ONE of those hideous desserts.  Premier allows you UNLIMITED hideous desserts.  Not exactly sure how many one would have to choke down to check off all the boxes on your marathon.  But it would seem as if ONE would put you in the "amateur" rank. 🤣

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

I'm thinking about trying a Premier Marathon in a single day - Max out everything included, no cheating, and finish everything ... 6am to 6 am on a sea day

15 drinks - no problem

specialty dinner - be careful what I order - same with a casual meal

picture, prizes, order room service, order on app, wifi, CA, done

now the tough one(s) - fitness class, and to finish one of those hideous desserts

what did I leave out?

Well, we need to know exactly who is going to certify this marathon attempt.  I don't think we can just take your word that you succeeded.... 😄

I'm thinking that maybe we need to arrange something beforehand with the cruise director.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

Wow. I would have trouble hitting 15 drinks total on a 7-day cruise.

15 alcoholic drinks a day is easy for me too, except on embarkation day as we never seem to get onboard until mid afternoon due to flying on the same day! 

Edited by Esprit

13 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'm thinking that maybe we need to arrange something beforehand with the cruise director.

I'm thinking more like arranging a visit to the Medical Center the following am.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Esprit said:

15 alcoholic drinks a day is easy for me too, except on embarkation day as we never seem to get onboard until mid afternoon due to flying on the same day! 

Embarkation day is easy. The real problem is to drink 15 alcoholic drinks on disembarkation day between 6:00 am and when you leave the ship.😉

• Haha 6

19 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

Embarkation day is easy. The real problem is to drink 15 alcoholic drinks on disembarkation day between 6:00 am and when you leave the ship.😉

1st sea day - packing my big boy drawstring shorts ...

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

1st sea day - packing my big boy drawstring shorts ...

On sea days I have to use some of the wife's allowance before the day is out😎🍹 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

For us that’s easy….I’m a vegetarian and hubby doesn’t care much for seafood so we’d wait, and then just book the specialty restaurant on lobster night and a late port day. 

On 6/5/2024 at 2:49 PM, Raisinette said:

Same price as if purchased prior - right now $60 per day. 

On 6/5/2024 at 2:49 PM, Raisinette said:

The price is the same in advance or aboard.

Plus Cruise Package: $60usd per night of sailing.

Premier Cruise Package: $80usd per night of sailing.

Both/either have to be purchased by first 2 passengers in same cabin.. 

Charges are applied to your onboard folio. 

Of what I just Read you have to sign up or upgrade package up to 3 days BEFORE boarding date.  No paying for upgrade package once you are on Board.  If you have had a different experience PLEASE SHARE!!!