How is Celebrity handling Florida rain issues?

@phoenix_dream thanks for posting this - we have been following the weather and wondering about this too. We sail (from Brooklyn) in late August and have been thinking about possible weather issues at the height of hurricane season.

@cruisetime5 safe travels and bon voyage!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Speaking of parking, when I drive to a port, I always park on the second level or higher in the parking deck when I park, due to heavy rain possibility. 

But if you are driving a car that you don't want to keep.......

• Haha 5

26 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

But how would I have known six months ago when I booked a flight for this weekend that Florida would have record rain and severe flooding? 🤨

lol You can't, I work for a weather station there is no way to predict that. I typically fly 2 days before but sometimes that may not even be enough depending on what the weather is

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

But I wanted to focus specifically on what was happening in Florida now.

16 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Asking for details on how "they will figure it out".

Those of us in Florida have "figured it out."

We use umbrellas or accept that we will get wet.

We allow extra travel time because of road flooding.

And for anyone flying in or out, we know that the various airports across the state will closed due to nearby lightning strikes as the thunderstorms move across the state.

Unless the port is closed (usually because of excessive wind and wave height, cruise ships will arrive and depart as scheduled.

38 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

But how would I have known six months ago when I booked a flight for this weekend that Florida would have record rain and severe flooding? 🤨

You wouldn’t, but I always fly into FLL a day early for a cruise..

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

Yes, that’s a good suggestion. Because Celebrity is handling it this way— If the port is open, they sail.

I remember at one time they delayed start the cruise because of weather and a large group from the  North hadn't arrived. They delayed for about 5-6 hours so the people would have a chance to board. They waited at the next port for those who missed the ship to board. They did a special muster for those who missed the first day.

21 minutes ago, Orator said:

I remember at one time they delayed start the cruise because of weather and a large group from the  North hadn't arrived. They delayed for about 5-6 hours so the people would have a chance to board. They waited at the next port for those who missed the ship to board. They did a special muster for those who missed the first day.

Exactly!  This is the kind of info I was looking for - whether Celebrity was making any adjustments of this type.  Some of the answers - geez!  I wonder at times why I even bother to post on these boards at all - so many off-topic, snarky, at times downright rude comments.  Just trying to get some info.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Texter2 said:

Another option is to fly into Orlando and take the Brightline train to Fort Lauderdale or Miami. The Brightline Orlando station is adjacent to MCO airport Terminal C. We took the train to our cruise in April and it was very convenient. 

How long is the train ride from MCO to FLL?  Cost?

2 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Exactly!  This is the kind of info I was looking for - whether Celebrity was making any adjustments of this type.  Some of the answers - geez!  I wonder at times why I even bother to post on these boards at all - so many off-topic, snarky, at times downright rude comments.  Just trying to get some info.  

Good grief, where is the rude or snarky?  I see some innocuous comments and some helpful comments and some just generic stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just because one ship reportedly waited for 5-6 hours.....which quite frankly I find somewhat unbelievable, this can not be the norm. These ships run on such a tight schedule there is very little wiggle room for departures/arrivals. Celebrity doesn't care if it raining, or if there is snow in the north or fires in Canada.  This is every day stuff to them.

Personally I've had issues getting to Miami form Marco Island with massive brush fires shutting down the major highways, Took alligator alley which was under extremely heavy construction, Heavy thunderstorms in Miami......we left @ 8:00am and barely made it too the ship. My wife was in contact with Celebrity constantly checking to see if we could still board with all the delays.

Well Celebrity didn't give a hoot....its our problem if we don't make it...good luck

And I didn't have a problem with that , nor should others who don't make it.

Plan better

Buy insurance

stop complaining

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

How long is the train ride from MCO to FLL?  Cost?

I just checked some dates and prices. Adult prices start at about $30 and go up depending on date and time (and promotions ). It takes 2 hours and 45 minutes to get from MCO to the Brightline station in Fort Lauderdale. Note that the stations in FL and Miami are not at the airports. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

I use The Farmers' Almanac. First published in 1792!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, mahdnc said:

The Port of Miami and Port Everglades are open and operating normally.  Reflection is the only Celebrity ship set to sail today (Port Everglades) and she is apparently slated to have a Perfect Day at Coco Cay tomorrow.

image.thumb.png.91830a9988ee7ce25870a404a3122059.png

Except that isn't the view right now on the port camera.  It is POURING rain.  The Disney Magic is in port in FLL and due to leave at 4pm EST.  We will see what the weather is in an hour when the Reflection is due to depart.

image.thumb.png.58809c86ff97c3dc7ec681bd4ff38197.png

Posted (edited)

Current view of the Reflection:

image.thumb.png.3e16fefbd3f21b97a26b65be66707bfb.png

MIami is sunny and gorgeous.  Several cruise ships in port right now.

Port Canaveral is cloudy but still sunny(ish) but also dry as in no rain currently.  One Disney ship in port right now.

Edited by BeasleysMom66
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

Except that isn't the view right now on the port camera.  It is POURING rain.  The Disney Magic is in port in FLL and due to leave at 4pm EST.  We will see what the weather is in an hour when the Reflection is due to depart.

image.thumb.png.58809c86ff97c3dc7ec681bd4ff38197.png

Just wait a few minutes (2:50 PM EDT)

image.thumb.png.135de409889decddc176e33fa4242586.png

Lots of good recommendations for planning extra pre-cruise flights (also a good idea for those who'd like the same post-cruise).  Before wintering 9 months here, coming from New England, we'd do extra days pre and post.

However, we'd also keep an eye on the weather several days ahead "on both ends of the flights."  If there was any risks developing, we'd change our flights to earlier to avoid the following ~

~ weather related issues in departing parts of the country (like the Northeast in the winter) and port receiving areas in South Florida (during 'the season') cause massive, chain reaction-like  flight nightmares for airports, travelers, their luggage, flight crews, planes, connections, etc.

Back in Dec there was bad weather that delayed the arrival of cruise ships to the Port of Miami.  I am sure it affected their departure as well.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Just wait a few minutes (2:50 PM EDT)

image.thumb.png.135de409889decddc176e33fa4242586.png

And that would be Florida.  I was born and raised there with the mantra:  if you don't like the weather just wait 15 minutes and it will change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

And that would be Florida.  I was born and raised there with the mantra:  if you don't like the weather just wait 15 minutes and it will change.

We have a similar saying in the UK but it tends to be the drizzle turns to rain rather than the clouds disappear and the sun comes out…

• Haha 1

The Reflection is leaving now.  Completely over cast and grey but dry.  I half expected to see her shake from stem to stern to get the water off like my dog does after playing in the sprinklers.  LOL

sometimes going  early is good..but sometimes waiting is better.  over the years we have experienced all permutations of timing....avoiding  ice storms, snow storms, chasing hurricanes..etc   Came back to Bayonne.once to cars covered in snow!

We have  100% given up cruising in hurricane season,  and only cruise in winter when we are in Fl already and drive across Fl a  day ahead.   

But as mentioned, Fl has  wild fires that cause road delays, big detours and  road closures.  On our last drive across in Jan,  there was a fire on other side of I 75 that caused delays,  a few fender benders  and parades of big trucks hauling away post  hurricane construction debris.. glad we went day ahead..avoid some stress. 

Always a good feeling to walk on board!

Hope we hear that everyone makes it! 

The worst of the rain is over.  Now we are dealing with fairly normal Florida summer showers.  When it's not a hurricane or tropical storm (the last few days were neither) it's amazing how fast the water recedes.  I'm fairly certain all ships will sail as planned.

Airports are open and as others have suggested you can fly into Orlando and take the Brightline train straight into Ft Lauderdale or Miami, easily done with the train stop at MCO.

Now if the last 3 days had happened beginning tomorrow....probably an entirely different story.

• Thanks 2