Medical Question

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this question.  My wife had a port.  It gets changed once a week by our home nurse.  I have planned a trip on the Radiance for 14 nts.  Does anyone know if the doctor on board would change this because it's medically necessary?

Posted (edited)

You should call carnival's special needs to get a first hand answer, instead of relying on people on this board guessing at what may or may not happen.  If nothing else, the phone number listed below can probably direct you to someone who can help.  Hope everything works out for you.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/diabetes-medicine-storage

We strongly encourage guests to carry a copy of their medical records (e.g., a list of medical conditions, allergies, names, and medication dosages as well as the name and contact information of their physician).

If you need general information about accessibility before you cruise, or have an ADA complaint, please call our Guest Access team at 1-800-438-6744 ext. 70025 or 1800 072 670 ext. 70025 if calling from Australia. You can also email us at access@carnival.com. All post-cruise ADA concerns will be responded to within 30 days. Carnival's designated ADA Responsibility Officer is Clarisa Stollenwerck, Vice President, Guest Operations.

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

You should call carnival's special needs to get a first hand answer, instead of relying on people on this board guessing at what may or may not happen.  If nothing else, the phone number listed below can probably direct you to someone who can help.  Hope everything works out for you.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/diabetes-medicine-storage

We strongly encourage guests to carry a copy of their medical records (e.g., a list of medical conditions, allergies, names, and medication dosages as well as the name and contact information of their physician).

If you need general information about accessibility before you cruise, or have an ADA complaint, please call our Guest Access team at 1-800-438-6744 ext. 70025 or 1800 072 670 ext. 70025 if calling from Australia. You can also email us at access@carnival.com. All post-cruise ADA concerns will be responded to within 30 days. Carnival's designated ADA Responsibility Officer is Clarisa Stollenwerck, Vice President, Guest Operations.

I don't think they are looking for a guess but rather are looking for first hand information from folks in a similar situation. 

• Like 3

@tauep24 Perhaps a 14 night cruise is not the best vacation choice for you and your DW given her present health needs.

You might consider a shorter cruise or land based vacation to accommodate her for now. Hopefully, in the future, she will not need the port for the infusions and you can plan a more lengthy vacation.

MJ

• Like 7

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I don't think they are looking for a guess but rather are looking for first hand information from folks in a similar situation. 

It would still be better to get an answer straight from the company. Even if someone has first hand experience,  things might have changed since then.

I wouldn't make an important medical decision based on "someone on the internet told me...."

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just now, staceyglow said:

It would still be better to get an answer straight from the company. Even if someone has first hand experience,  things might have changed since then.

I wouldn't make an important medical decision based on "someone on the internet told me...."

Of course not.  I bet you wouldn't ask this question on a discussion board.

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

Yes but it's also good to know what the company would do if anyone had experience. Just another data point and the more data points the better. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

They shouldn’t rely on anyone’s experience here on the cc boards. There is no guarantee they will have the same or similar experience. That in my opinion is irresponsible. 
They should only go off of what Carnival’s Special Needs department advises them.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tonit964 said:

They shouldn’t rely on anyone’s experience here on the cc boards. There is no guarantee they will have the same or similar experience. That in my opinion is irresponsible. 
They should only go off of what Carnival’s Special Needs department advises them.

Carnival will of course have the last word but knowing other's experiences can be helpful to know. I don't consider that "relying on" anything, they are simply becoming informed. 

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes but it's also good to know what the company would do if anyone had experience. Just another data point and the more data points the better. 

It isn't a company decision.  It is the decision of the physician onboard  that ship, that sailing.

Edited by Elaine5715
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

It isn't a company decision.  It is the decision of the physician onboard  that ship, that sailing.

They have to comply with the protocols established by the company.

sometimes we have a question that we know we need to contact the specific cruise line to get definite answers, but it helps to get a rough idea of what to expect from experienced cruisers before we make that necessary call.

My husband has a port... that is why I clicked on this thread.  For him, I know we will need to contact our cruise's special needs dept, but it helps to get a rough idea of what to expect before making that call.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, tonit964 said:

But if they hear 10 people had a similar situation and none of them had a problem, they are in a position to possibly question an answer they get from Carnival. But then again, we all know Carnival never gives out incorrect information,

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

THIS

• Like 2

The best advice you have here so far is to call the Special Needs Department on Monday. The rest is speculation. Now, I will do the same.

Changing a port is a (if near the clavicle) requires a local anesthetic. While necessary for your wife's treatment it has the potential to be triaged as a non-emergency, has risk of infection and the strong chance exists the on board doctor will refuse. While that isn't what you were looking for here, it's factual.  I do hope someone will offer an example of good news.

If your wife is on a chemo journey, then prayers her way for a smooth recovery. I'm six months into a two year post surgery treatment for cancer. 

Godspeed my friend. Hope it works out.

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

The best advice you have here so far is to call the Special Needs Department on Monday. The rest is speculation. Now, I will do the same.

Changing a port is a (if near the clavicle) requires a local anesthetic. While necessary for your wife's treatment it has the potential to be triaged as a non-emergency, has risk of infection and the strong chance exists the on board doctor will refuse. While that isn't what you were looking for here, it's factual.  I do hope someone will offer an example of good news.

If your wife is on a chemo journey, then prayers her way for a smooth recovery. I'm six months into a two year post surgery treatment for cancer. 

Godspeed my friend. Hope it works out.

Thank you. This is exactly the answer he needs and not someone telling him to take a different vacation his wife probably does not want.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2024 at 6:45 PM, tauep24 said:

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this question.  My wife had a port.  It gets changed once a week by our home nurse.  I have planned a trip on the Radiance for 14 nts.  Does anyone know if the doctor on board would change this because it's medically necessary?

Have you discussed such a trip with an appropriate person on her care team? There may be options available that do not require onboard medical intervention.

• Like 3

You said you will be on a 14-night cruise on Radiance.  Can I assume that would be going to Hawaii?  If so, you will be in ports in U.S. cities with pretty good hospitals and health care facilities on days 6,7,8 and 9.  You could probably call one ahead of time and scheduled an appointment for the day you will be there.  It may even be easier dealing with insurance coverage with a U.S. based health care system than on-board doctor.

• Like 13

20 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

They have to comply with the protocols established by the company.

Protocol is the physician is the decision maker on all medical issues onboard.  

• Like 1