The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday June 25th, 2024

richwmn

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for our daily report, recipes and lists.  It’s going to be a beautiful day here today.  The only thing on our agenda is to meet with our closing attorney in preparation of the sale of our condo next Tuesday.  The time has finally arrived, the movers will be packing us up on Thursday and Friday.  

Three nice days to celebrate.  We are all seafarers so hats off to us!

The quote is humorous, some people (myself included) need to work on their patience.

The meal and drink suggestions sound tasty.  I’m glad I’m not vegetarian, it seems to add an extra layer of complexity to life.  I do like to have meatless lays though.

I haven’t been to today’s port.

Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events.  Happy birthday to @Crazy For Cats DH Juan!🎂

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, it appears that you were able to dock at Stornoway. Last year on our MSC cruise we had a long tender ride to Stornoway. Officials had said that they were building a pier for cruise ships. The excursion to visit the Calanais Standing Stones was well worth it. They are actually older than Stonehenge.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Up early to get ready for my annual dermatology appointment. Yes I could be a full time seafarer if I won the lottery. Seeing I don’t play the lottery I should be very happy of my part time status.

I love French Onion Soup and we enjoy it quite often.

We finally received a nice afternoon shower yesterday and that may be what triggers more frequent afternoon pop ups.

Sue tells me the car needs gas so do need to leave early for my appointment. Thanks for the reports and congratulations to our Florida Panther finally clinching the Stanley Cup.

• Like 33

Good morning from a partly cloudy and humid central Texas.  It is 79F and feels like 87F with 96% humidity and a dew point of 78F.  Our predicted high is 98F, so my errands in Fort Worth will not be that fun.  We have a 7 mph wind which will help some.  I hope to head out early and get home as early as possible.  I'm still trying to find some one to fix my two watches.  They need to be sent to the manufacturers service center, and the store in Waco did not have an account with those watch makers.  I'm hoping the jeweler in Fort Worth can help.  Since I'll be there, I'll also stop at Costco and Total Wine plus the mall.

Seafarers deserve a day for all the hard work the do away from home.  I'm a huge Beatles fan and will definitely celebrate their day.  The DDs loved the Smurfs growing up; so I'll celebrate them too.

I hope the Carrie Fisher quote was said in jest; otherwise, it's rather sad.

We like French onion soup, but will wait until we are on a BHB to have some.  My one attempt to make it was not a big success.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have not been to Puerto Limon, but have been to San Jose from the Pacific side.

I don't remember the day in history, but it was a big milestone in communications.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, please wish Juan a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY for us.

@dfish  Debbie, safe travels today and enjoy your visit to Barb's lake house.

@cat shepard  Ann, for most red wines Black Box is my go to wine label.  I have not tried their Pinot Grigio, either full bodied or their Brilliant Collection version.  We did try their Brilliant Collection Cabernet Sauvignon, and I thought it was rather weak for a red.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I hope your DB's infection is soon just a memory, and he can go home.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope you do not have a torn bicep, but something more easily fixed.

@0106  Tina, that is one huge catfish.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope the chiropractor can help determine the source of your foot and leg pain.  Good luck with the car a/c.

434538893_821764979986511_1853817001737456875_n.jpg.13404f577d2c6323c840b1a845c7b184.jpg

432941213_122144868830046855_3792415477071839125_n.jpg.2fcea43bac74dc42501e6d93c0344c33.jpg

445483333_430713189926508_1437568883582132435_n.jpg.bdf13c9d2701b36ca171516855a5de7e.jpg

447899370_316375524849112_2787439485436518852_n.jpg.18a2591df829aaed5eaaaa8b32057b33.jpg

449054651_778856581076821_8375483757930162761_n.jpg.acffc8fab54562d2a130da63b4671709.jpg

448757336_868221952012274_2748354577448038786_n.jpg.25f4643925f2f8f3237d33dd73d9b5e1.jpg

Lenda

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 8

16 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, it appears that you were able to dock at Stornoway. Last year on our MSC cruise we had a long tender ride to Stornoway. Officials had said that they were building a pier for cruise ships. The excursion to visit the Calanais Standing Stones was well worth it. They are actually older than Stonehenge.

Jack we did dock here at the deep water ship dock where they are still working on it actually. It is a fairly long drive into town from out here. Depending on the driver and which direction, from 10 to 15 minutes. The tour you mentioned sounds like a good one. Maybe next time, if there is one. I saw some of the Harris tweed items for sale at the craft show downtown. Probably where @1ANGELCAT went on her tour. 

IMG_7904.thumb.jpeg.d6f7c0a4e7368eca6f159a8c3b37dd65.jpeg

Tomorrow we stop at Kirkwall, Scotland where DH and I have an afternoon tour. We have to tender over and meet at the cruise pier. I hope I will be able to post here beforehand but with the 5 hour ahead time difference it will be cutting it close. Have to eat something before we tender over. It’s possible I’ll be posting after the tour which would be around noon Eastern time. Hoping for a nice day tomorrow in Kirkwall. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

In early December 2010 my sister joined me for a partial Panama Canal on Zuiderdam. Someone from the roll call had found a vendor in Puerto Limon that had two excursions available. One was a leisurely boat ride on the coast showing the local flora and fauna. The second was to Veragua Rainforest, a bit of a distance from the port. The total time for both was a bit more than what was available, but by combining them and not returning to the port until the finish we made it in plenty of time.

We had a relatively small group and went directly to the boats when we arrived in Puerto Limon. We spent about 90 minutes exploring the coast line, then loaded back into the bus for the trip to Veragua. That place is beautiful. It was, and still is, a research area that has tours as a side line. It was very well laid out and was very educational. Included was a overhead tram, and a zip line for those interested.

Sorry, no pictures. I did take a few but that was a couple of moves ago and I’m not sure where they are. If you are in the area, consider either excursion. Veragua has information about excursions at https://veraguarainforest.com/Cruise-tourist/.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Good morning Dailyites 

Prayers for all our Daily friends. Hoping Jacqui has a good appointment today. Terri so sorry about your arm, hoping it isn't torn. Wishing Tana a better day.

@Crazy For Cats  Happy birthday to Juan!

Graham @grapau27 it must be so soothing to sit and ponder at the ocean.

Yesterday after the 7 year Olds birthday party, I started dinner and had a surprise visit from friends. I added a few more pork chops and more rice, and made a spinach salad. If I had sautéed the spinach, it would only be enough for two of us. It all worked out. We played games and took Elvis for an evening ride. A good day.

I love onion soup! The best is at our favorite restaurant downtown (Wildfire) and a second favorite would be on a BHB.

Blessings to you.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Jack we did dock here at the deep water ship dock where they are still working on it actually. It is a fairly long drive into town from out here. Depending on the driver and which direction, from 10 to 15 minutes. The tour you mentioned sounds like a good one. Maybe next time, if there is one. I saw some of the Harris tweed items for sale at the craft show downtown. Probably where @1ANGELCAT went on her tour. 

Tomorrow we stop at Kirkwall, Scotland where DH and I have an afternoon tour. We have to tender over and meet at the cruise pier. I hope I will be able to post here beforehand but with the 5 hour ahead time difference it will be cutting it close. Have to eat something before we tender over. It’s possible I’ll be posting after the tour which would be around noon Eastern time. Hoping for a nice day tomorrow in Kirkwall. 

Sandi, if you don't have time to post before your tour tomorrow, I'll be happy to post the links to tomorrow's port od the day.

Lenda

• Like 20

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

We are now officially in our summer weather pattern. Hot steamy days with afternoon thunderstorms. 

We all like onion soup and it is always on our Christmas Eve menu.

I imagine we are all Seafarers at one time or another. There is a big organization in Port Canaveral that assists all the true Seafarers. They provide counseling, rides to BJS, Walmart and the Mall. They also assist them with calls home and money matters. My neighbor has volunteered there for many years. He is an old Navy guy.

I was in todays port many years ago and it scheduled on our WC.

Had a good visit with my cardiologist yesterday, She told me she saw me on the golf course the other day. So she said I was fine. Yeah! I go because both my brothers died suddenly from heart attacks.

@Crazy For Cats  A very Happy Birthday to Juan. May he have many more!

@dfish  Safe travels today

Today we are going to TMobile to see about changing our carrier. We have had ATT for many years but it has become very expensive even with the supposed discounts, So we will see.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisersSandi, the weather forecast for Kirkwall tomorrow is for showers in the afternoon and a temperature of 58.

I love Orkney. I hope your tour is good, if you’re looking for a special remembrance souvenir, I suggest Sheila Fleet jewelry. She’s a lovely woman who does pieces all based on Scotland.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Wow, what a difference nine months make! That did not exist at all in September! All of that is landfill. Their infrastructure really needed the boost. Much better than standing in the rain for over an hour like we did waiting for a tender. To MSC's credit, they did walk along the line passing out rain ponchos. Although our cruise was about $8K cheaper than the comparable HAL cruise last year for two Deluxe Balcony staterooms.

• Like 20

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites.  I am off dog walking duty today, as Donna is home, and I have a zillion things to do before noon, and at the rate I am going, it may just be the perfect time to go back to sleep. And do all those things later in the day.  I wish it was easier to wake Chuck up.  

I made a rather delicious dinner last night with a beef stir fry with snow peas, onions, orange pepper, and chopped green onions on rice.  I took all the leftovers, threw them in a bowl, mixed them up and that will be lunch.

I do love French Onion Soup, but mostly for the cheese.  

During the typing the phone rang, BFF called to let me know that our mutual friend passed away this morning.  He said that the passing of our friend, made him remember, you dont live forever, so live! while you can.  In the past month before our friend had gone back into the hospital, he had been given the opportunity to do 3 things that he really wanted to do, none of them stressful, and he did not do any of them, for fear that he might not feel good.  

The phone woke DH up, so now to get those errands done before it gets too hot to do anything.

@StLouisCruisersMid morning yesterday it finally Poured! on 75 south, and the storm headed down 75 for quite a while, flooding the highway for a while, so hopefully some of it went to your house.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7

Good Morning Everyone,  thanks for today's daily fleet report.   Thank you everyone for DH'S birthday wishes.  Also thank you @JazzyV for remembering.  We went out for birthday breakfast and will go out later gor dinner.  I picked ip a cake and have champagne chilled for later.

Our dryer started making a thumping noise, it still dried clothes.  Sunday night I booked an appointment online with Sears. Monday morning was available with a window of 8 to noon. The repair guy arrived shortly after 8 and had it fixed by 9:30. A new belt, roller and pulley were needed.

@dfish I'm hoping you find a place in Quebec for dinner during our overnight stay.

From the garden. 

20240624_174716.thumb.jpg.61bd91255f55d1c024af34f8afdfdb18.jpg

20240622_105954.thumb.jpg.bc067650b8e48708399e301d1333940a.jpg

Jasper likes the new bedding from the rescue. 

20240624_125750.thumb.jpg.998250f1e2fb9710b278655447aba771.jpg

Zander enjoys the new bedding too.

20240624_144730.thumb.jpg.0a56847962c1d8fa3954049940d56dc3.jpg

Edited by Crazy For Cats
More information
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  DH's daughter worked for the Seafarers Association when she lived in Vancouver and had some interesting stories to share.  I remember watching the Beatles as a youngster, but wasn't totally in love with them - I preferred groups like Herman's Hermits, the Dave Clark 5, etc. Definitely like the Smurfs, as they were part of DS's childhood.

Congratulations to the Florida Panthers on their win last night; the Oilers were a good match, but just couldn't pull out a win.

Another cloudy, windy and going to be rainy day out there for us.  Pretty soon the farmers are going to be complaining that we've got too much rain, we're just waiting for it.  Farming is terribly stressful as you're at the mercy of Mother Nature; it can be too hot, too cold, too wet or too dry.  Don't know how our dads managed it.

@Crazy For CatsPlease wish Juan a very Happy Birthday and many happy and healthy returns of the day!

@dfishI hope you have an uneventful drive today.

@kazufingers crossed that the chiropractor will provide some relief.

@marshhawkI'm sorry to hear of the passing of your friend; it's sad to let go of someone who has been an important part of our past, even if sometimes they frustrated us with their choices.

@Mr. BostonI hope all goes smoothly at the law office today; next is your move!

@Cruzin Terrisorry to hear about your possible bicep tear; that must be painful!

We are supposed to have the windows washed today, but depending on the weather, that may or may not happen.   We're getting a number of replies back for our Summerfest barbecue and I think we'll have about 60 people, possibly a few more.  Next week I have to order the smokies, so I'm glad people are responding to give us an idea of how many to get. 

I'd like to try the drink of the day, but wow, who has all that stuff in their liquor cabinet?  I'll let others enjoy the wine (that's a lot of preservatives for flavour), and enjoy French Onion Soup when on a BHB.  I tried making it once, and it didn't work out so well, so now I just order it in a restaurant.  I made a large meat loaf yesterday, so I put some in freezer containers and we'll have leftover meat loaf, mashed potatoes and green beans that we can enjoy on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in turmoil, and in the paths of destructive storms and fires.  Cheers to all with celebrations today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry 

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 2

On the Rotterdam today we were told it was Seafarers day and what it means. We have been to the port but only have pre digital pictures. My DH lives real

onion soup and so far has had it for his appetizer every day at dinner.

Jacqui what wonderful pictures of you and Jose. 

@Cruzin Terriouch about your arm. I hope you get some answers from your doctor at the Mayo Clinic.  

Thank you to all who post in the daily.  Here is a picture of Alesund today . Another beautiful day and warm weather.  Now it is cloudy and looks like rain for tonight while we are at sea. Hopefully tomorrow we will have no rain.

IMG_4148.jpeg

IMG_4146.jpeg

• Like 28

Good morning all from wild kitties central!  Our lives are definitely more "lively" with 2 16-month-old cats 😉  Everything is going well and they've settled in but are still exploring every nook and cranny of the house this morning.  Thank heavens I put away all the breakables. 😂

I'll celebrate all the days.  Love/loved the Beatles and saw them in CA when I was 14.  I think Carrie Fisher was trying to be funny with that quote, I'll pass on the wine, not sure about the drink but would try it, and I like French Onion Soup but more for the topping than the onions. I don't have it very often and shouldn't, the sodium level is too much for me.  Have been to Costa Rica but not this port.  Thanks for all photos!

Happy Birthday to Juan @Crazy For Cats!  It sounds like you'll have a nice day celebrating.  Thank you for the lovely photos.

@Cruzin Terri I hope you don't have a torn bicep, and that it's something that just needs time to heal.

@marshhawk I'm sorry to hear about the death of your friend, also sorry he didn't do the 3 things he wanted to do.  

I'm rushing this morning, as I need to be down at DD's in a couple hours.  I'll be bringing them cookies for their trip and hugging them goodbye as they leave. It's a lovely day for their first day of driving, lots of sunshine and mid 70's.  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, 

It's sunny and we're supposed to be up to 77 today so a nice day. However the rain returns tomorrow. 

Today is lunch out with the Widow's Support Group then DS loaded up the recycling yesterday so I'll head there with a gas station stop for the car. DS said he'd be over today to mow the lawn, fill the small hummingbird feeder and do some more baseboards. 

12 days to the cruise on the Westerdam and my friend going with me is reminding me at least twice a day. This week is the pool tomorrow and Friday and lunch out on Thursday so fairly busy. 

Karen

• Like 29