Port Roosters?

No, I'm not talking about Key West. I'm referring to the times when
most passengers disembark at a particular port, but you stay onboard (roost). The joys of roosting are well known. There's nothing like  a quiet, uncrowded ship. There are few lines, deck chairs are readily available, dining is relaxed and pleasant and there are numerous peaceful places in which to chill. I like to photograph various areas of the ship, so it's nice when there few people around.
DW and I have a cruise coming up this fall, and except for a couple of ports, we're going to be roosting.the whole itinerary.

Any other roosters out there?

There are a number of ports of call that we've visited many times but have favorite restaurants, or beaches, or other points of interest that we return to when in port.  But there are others where we prefer to remain on board.  Its always a mix and never have we remained on board the entire cruise.  Ocean crossings and other repositioning cruises by their nature provide a lot of that opportunity for us.

• Like 3

On my last cruise I dinged on at embarkation and dinged off when they kicked me off. The only port I planned to get off on got cancelled due to avoiding Beryl. 

• Like 1

We rarely cruise just for the ship experience. The vast majority of our cruises are selected for an interesting itinerary where we want to explore our port stops. Otherwise we would just go to a land resort.  We did do one cruise in lieu of a resort stay, simply because our desired resort was too expensive on our dates. That got old really fast, and we haven't repeated it. But never say never. There will come a time when we get too old for exploring.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, koolZip said:

Absolutely.  When we lived on the east coast, we always roosted in Nassau.  Now that we live on the west coast, we tend to roost on....gasp....Alaska cruises.  On our last cruise, we spent the entire days in Juneau, Skagway, and Victoria in the adults only pool area and it you're familiar with RCI Quantum Class ships, the Solarium is kinda heavenly. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

...the adults only pool area and it you're familiar with RCI Quantum Class ships, the Solarium is kinda heavenly. 

Best in the fleet by far IMO!  Will be on Odyssey for a TA in October 2025. Will be spending much time there...

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, koolZip said:

No, I'm not talking about Key West. I'm referring to the times when
most passengers disembark at a particular port, but you stay onboard (roost). The joys of roosting are well known. There's nothing like  a quiet, uncrowded ship. There are few lines, deck chairs are readily available, dining is relaxed and pleasant and there are numerous peaceful places in which to chill. I like to photograph various areas of the ship, so it's nice when there few people around.
DW and I have a cruise coming up this fall, and except for a couple of ports, we're going to be roosting.the whole itinerary.

I kind of hoped you were talking about Key West.  🐓

More directly, I get off in some ports and stay on the ship in others.  Getting off is nice when I choose to do it, but so is staying onboard.  In the future, as I run out of interesting things to do in the ports i choose to go to, I figure I'll stay onboard more often.

• Like 1

I usually do t stay on the ship, but last cruise was a S2S on two ships I had not cruised before, and I booked specifically for the ships.   Both were short cruises so I used the time to take pictures inside, and in one port I got off just to walk down the pier to get shots of the ship.  I got off in one port because I had never been there before.  EM

• Like 1

When we started cruising, about 50 years ago, we always wondered about the old folks who would stay on the ship when we were in ports (mostly in the Caribbean).  Now, we are those old folks, and will often stay on the ship the once or twice a year that we cruise in the Caribbean.  We choose those cruises for the ship/line for that reason.  When we cruise the rest of the world (i.e. Europe, Asia, South American, etc) we do generally go ashore (usually on our own) for the port days.  Keep in mind that when it comes to the Caribbean, we have been ashore, more than 50 times, at most of the ports.  While we still have our favorite beaches and places, on every island, we usually find that our ships have more to offer except for the days when we want to go to a beach or snorkel.

Hank

• Like 5

Definitely a rooster (at least in the Caribbean)!

May occasionally get off if there is a restaurant I like onshore but I prefer to stay on the ship and enjoy a quiet day on board.

Now, that being said, if I'm going someplace new, I will get off and check it out.

• Like 1

Normally I spend as much time off the ship as I can because I cruise for the ports and the ship is just a big bus.  However my next cruise is on Atlas Cruise Lines which is my first small ultra luxury cruise ship so I will be spending more time on board to enjoy the ship experience that I have paid so much money for.

DON

• Like 2