The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 1st, 2024

Good morning, everyone.  Prayers for all in need and especially those in pain.

Hot again here today — I am not a “summer” person so I am really getting tired of this!  Love it when we have to turn the gas fireplace on in the morning to make the house more toasty.  I am aware I am in the minority.  😀  

Taking a trip to BJs today to stock up on some things.  Mostly paper products is the plan but I never know once I walk into that store.  Lots of good stuff to purchase.  

Have a great day and stay safe.  Katherine 

• Like 24

Posted (edited)

@smitty34877The vein doc is with Emory, the Oncologist is with Northside.  When we left, the vein doc said he would also contact Dr Tolbert. Good luck with that.

Swelling has not gone down, and while he says he is cold all the time, he is emitting heat.  I need a thermometer, he might be running a fever.  I tried to sleep in the bed last night, but I am going back to the sofa tonight.

I completely understand you falling asleep in an uncomfortable chair.  You must be exhausted. Can you get one of the kids to get you a more comfortable chair to put in Tana's room?

When I was on oxygen on the ship, I turned the machine on several times just to warm the cabin up.  I know they give off heat!

@Lady Hudson I'm ok with summer, if there is a pool, lake or ocean near by. Living in north Central GA?  Unless I set up the kiddy pool in the back yard? I hate summer.  I loved October when I lived up north, here I wait until November. I love crisp mornings, warm afternoons....NOT HOT!  I can only take off so many clothes before I'll get arrested.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites 

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!

High 90's to 100 over the next 10 days. Our plants are panting!

So proud of our US Olympic gold medalist Katie Ledecky! She was awesome!

Prayers lifted for our ailing friends here on the Daily. Sure wish we could resolve some of your issues.

Please say a prayer for my sister. She meets the surgeon and plastic surgeon this afternoon. She will get her surgery date as well.

No game night tonight, so DH and I will venture downtown for sushi and happy hour. 

Wishing you a blessed day.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

RABBIT   RABBIT   WHITE RABBIT!

Good morning from central Texas where it is 73F abd feels like 73F.  Our predicated high is 96F, but I'll be inside cleaning h9use today.    Thisnwill be quick since I need to get to work, and because we are having internet problems.  I have internet on the phone and tablet, but not on the computer.

Three interesting days, plus Emancipation Day in Canada.

I'm not sure about the quote.

Like others, the soup will wait until until much cooler weather.  We'll pass on the drink, but I would try the wine if it isn't too sweet or dry.

We were in Arica on Ryndam in 2001, but the picturesnare not digital.   

The discovery of oxygen was huge.  I remember MTV.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, if you had trip insurance, that might be an option for getting a refund.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad you have your computecomputer back.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for the explanation.

@aliaschief  Bruce, safe travels tomorrow, and enjoy your weekend with family. 

@marshhawk Annie, I hope you can get all the appointments and contacts with doctors straightened out.

@dfish  Debbie, good news about no leg pain.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I hope your DH has a good visit with the eye doctor.

@smitty34877 Terry, best wishes for a boring day today.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.  Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! I'm not into white wine, have never canned anything, and had to look up what Lamaas Day was . . . it involves bread which is to me is always a good thing.

Thank you all for your kind words of condolence yesterday; it was a rather quiet day around here, thinking of past events and all the people we've lost over the past couple of years.

August to me means summer is half over; we've always counted July and August as summer around our house - I guess it has to do with DH's teaching career.  Usually at the beginning of August I'd start seeing him gaze off into space, not thinking romantic loving thoughts, but planning curriculum and school events.  By the 3rd week of August he was in his classroom already, getting it ready to welcome the next year's students.  So glad those days are past us.

@ottahand7 you said you were out of bait . . . don't you have any worms on your property?  What about using corn?  You could always try my secret weapon - chewing gum (won me a family fishing derby).  We're planning on going out to our friend's lake in a couple of weeks and I'm planning on bringing both regular gum and bubble gum to see what works better.

@RMLincolnhoping for good news from DH's eye doctor today.

@Seasick Sailorsending prayers for your DS's medical appointments.

@dfishglad you woke to no pain this morning.

@smitty34877you poor thing, you must be exhausted if you fell asleep sitting upright in a hard chair!!  I wish I lived closer so I could step in with some help for you.

I have to tell you something that really got me riled up yesterday.  We went to Canadian Tire to get a couple of keys cut, then when we went to pay for them at the credit/debit machine, it asked if we wanted to tip 15, 18, or 20%.  Seriously?  For cutting keys at a huge store like that?  I tapped on "NO TIP". This tipping thing has gotten WAY out of control!  Rant over, thanks for letting me vent.

Not a lot happening for us today, will do the ever present laundry and maybe take a swipe at the kitchen floor with a mop.  Today seems like a good day to hang around and maybe take DH out for ice cream.  Can't take the roofless car because the garage door opener isn't going to be installed till the middle of next week, but I'll drive and let him open the window and hang his head out.  LOL

The drink sounds interesting, but I wonder if any of the BHB's carry Alize in their bars?  I'll let others enjoy my share of the white wine, and will tuck the soup recipe away for another season.  I've got a couple of pork chops thawing that will be given a brown sugar & seasoning rub, and cooked in the air fryer.  We'll enjoy them with garlic potatoes and green beans on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in turmoil, in the midst of wars, storms and fires.  Cheers to all who celebrate something today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Arica Chile brought back memories of a most interesting day outside of Arica. We were booked on the Zaandam Dec 2015 Antarctica cruise. Rather than fly, we chose to take Celebrity Infinity from FLL to Valparaiso where it would arrive the same day the Zaandam would depart for it's itinerary. Arica was one of the ports on the Celebrity ship's repositioning cruise.

We tried to book the ship's tour due to the distance to the Atacama desert, one of the driest places on earth. However, there was an age limit due to the elevation and DH was just over the limit. So, we managed to join an independent tour with a few others and go out, but not the desert. It was a fascinating day for sure.

Arriving Arica

Arica.thumb.JPG.920bdd38ea44babfa4ffab0d5333d753.JPG

Candelabra cactusCandelabraCactus(3).thumb.JPG.d792260884155ab4d745acdcbbd883ee.JPG

CandelabraCactus(7).thumb.JPG.400b0ef133560f46fbc3e9ef45708286.JPG

Beautiful valley - Capaquilla Pukara

CopaquillaPukara(1).thumb.JPG.0b4d558b5ef2c4878a217148bd163c1d.JPG

Geoglyphs near Arica

GeoglyphsoustideArica(1).thumb.JPG.719f332e49cf9e229644a499ab44c17c.JPG

GeoglyphsoustideArica(5).thumb.JPG.c4e8368fc6caf17524588bbddd8f4286.JPG

The village of Poconchile

Poconchile(6).thumb.JPG.ca47af43ffb8749f0a3ba399cd026316.JPG

Poconchile(10).thumb.JPG.a8fae6d3460df4a6a0c61e42a4d80617.JPG

Poconchile(9).thumb.JPG.0f7ec69246bad25122487574e9d5f034.JPG

Outside the church

Poconchile(5).thumb.JPG.20922b07201a0e1b1e761aa9e7949f1c.JPG

Poconchile(14).thumb.JPG.a7be073d96311e2c0f2dd992f0d8b439.JPG

Then it was on to the highest elevation we reached at Putre, another village. It was the Christmas season..........

Putre(22).thumb.JPG.ec35a34d7d7a2e09807e1ec8eb4d7699.JPG

Putre(23).thumb.JPG.e0529f259115a65c54adade7075ac3c3.JPG

Our lunch location

Putre(33).thumb.JPG.bc631cf8e7e2a7d9fa91ba9b178a0d2e.JPG

Putre(36).thumb.JPG.44c784a478f1fe8d3f2a848ae5e4db29.JPG

And yet, another small village - Socoroma. There are some pix here for the gardeners.

Socoroma(8).thumb.JPG.bdb802daf9f4774d5cd1e12968e6f8d9.JPG

Socoroma(28).thumb.JPG.97e8144fd0208b4a90a56c2b9568e4c1.JPG

Socoroma(32).thumb.JPG.dd914fec2c8bcff1b7be6f45b0fce04b.JPG

Socoroma(36).thumb.JPG.2872326f260165fb77129072bac3a0e2.JPG

Socoroma (27).JPG

• Like 19
  • Thanks 9

Good Afternoon from the beautiful Zuiderdam

Had a great day out today on a ships excursion to Godafoss waterfall, the botanical garden and Laufas house. 

I will attach some pictures. Really lucked out on weather. It was clear and sunny when we left, I only used a hoodie.,by the time we returned, it just stated to rain. But all is well. 
     Sorry to hear so many are struggling with medical or personal issues. You are all in my prayers..

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene 

IMG_0189.jpeg

IMG_0209.jpeg

IMG_0188.jpeg

IMG_0210.jpeg

• Like 11

Sorry about the black screen. Been having some trouble with my phone and it is an iPhone 15. It is probably me.,

Anyway one pucture of Godafoss

IMG_0192.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

ScreenShot2024-08-01at06_41_28.png.b6f1579ad15179446a40437692406e84.png

Thanks for the daily and fleet report and thank you for the description of Alberino Day.  Looked up Lammas Day, so I learned something today!  Strange quote, pass on all the food and drink, and I have never been to Chile.  I remember MTV starting and thank goodness oxygen was discovered!

IMG_8162.thumb.JPG.85ecd02e364018df84e2bb7a2ded7a9c.JPG

We continue with "cooler" temps under 100F but we will heat up again this weekend.  Afternoon storms also continue but very much location dependent.  I heard lots of thunder yesterday but only a smattering of raindrops, though it did smell nice.  

IMG_8163.thumb.JPG.c69ea7d7d467b66b6923656373327b8c.JPG

<rant> I have been trying to make my final payment with AARP gift cards on the HAL site for the last couple of days and it just doesn't work.  In anticipating this, I had made an appt with my PCC for today to get it done.  It just irritates me that this option is available on the website but it doesn't work!  Why do I have to take up my PCC's valuable time for something I could do myself!  🤬 <rant over>

IMG_8164.JPG.fcb6159f1e2b520e035b2271a7c6093f.JPG

Stitches came out yesterday and it wasn't as bad as I feared.  I have to keep a bandage over it for 2 days but after that I can get it wet (swim, whirlpool, beach).  I forgot to have them take a pic but I think I will try to get someone to do so on Saturday.  But today I am just going to chill.

IMG_8165.thumb.JPG.6162e4d6e6e5ef022bb74e10beb78f2f.JPG

@StLouisCruisers I have never used FE and your story just gives me another reason not to.  I hope you get it resolved.

@Seasick Sailor Thoughts for your sister today.

@marshhawk Thoughts of you always

@smitty34877 Don't forget to take care of yourself also.  

@RedneckBobWhere are you?  I miss your jokes!!

IMG_8166.thumb.JPG.aa478cfd2f0aa569d60936932f931a1d.JPG

Thoughts for all and cheers for those celebrating.  Have a great day everyone!! 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Good morning. It was cool and windy for our early morning walk. Felt wonderful. Today back up into the 90's and dry. Rain is possible for the next few days with increasing chances next week.... I can but hope. The fire season makes us all nervous.

No news here. Like others, I am really tired of the political ranting on TV and in the papers. To make it worse for me, Durango is included in the New Mexico TV advertising market so we get Albuquerque stations (ABQ is 200 plus miles closer than Denver). So..... I get all the New Mexico political ads and have to dig to find out what is happening in Colorado. Fortunately our local paper does a pretty good job of keeping us up to date with local happenings. But really!!!! Speak about annoying. The Albuquerque news casts do take pity on us and include southwest Colorado in their weather forecasts and sometimes, if we do something really exciting, they mention us in the news. Denver does not seem to know we exist.

Off to toss.... today is trash day and I will have a an empty dumpster to work on.

Susan

• Like 23

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit.

I haven't had wine from Albariño grapes that I know of, don't do canning (my DM blanched and froze veggies from our garden when I was growing up), and as a baker will celebrate Lammas day as it celebrates loaves of bread and the wheat harvest. Not sure about the quote. Yes to the meal and pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Arica. A great day in history with the discovery of oxygen. I never watched MTV.

Another 91F day on tap, with a feel like of 96F. And it's humid. I need to go to UPS, but think I'll stay inside. I have a loaf of bread to bake (turning on the oven in this heat!). Other than that just more tidying up around the house. I did do the Epley maneuver this AM, and only had a small amount of dizziness (on the other side). So I'll see how I feel today. Now that he can walk fairly normally, BFF is trying to do too much, and finding out he will have to build up his stamina. Tomorrow I have my MRI and carotid US. I have put the address in the car GPS and will allow extra time to get there.

@StLouisCruisers I hope you can get some compensation for the cancelled flight. And it's great that you can go to be with Ren while his parents are out of the country. 

@Cruzin Terri It's good to see you back.

@marshhawk Prayers for all you have to do and manage. Nice photos.

@smitty34877 I'm sorry to hear that your aide is ill and has been out all week. That puts so much more on you, as evidenced by falling asleep in an uncomfortable chair. I'm glad DD and DSIL are available to help.

@Seasick Sailor Prayers for Bonnie for her appointments today and her upcoming surgery.

@rafinmd I hope your neck issue is coming along.

@ger_77 I hear you on the tipping thing. The guy who cuts my grass has now joined an online service that lets you pay, and there's a place for tips with different percentages. No. Maybe at the holidays as a one time thing, but otherwise No.

@tjcox9 Thanks for sharing your fascinating photos from Arica and surrounding areas.

@cunnorl Great photo. If the resolution is set too high on the iPhone, CC doesn't like it and gives a black photo.

@Nickelpenny Good to hear your stitches are out and that you can get the incision wet soon. I forgot to get BFF to take a photo of my incision last time we were together, so I have no idea how it looks (it's a bit hyperpigmented and will take time to fade).

@RedneckBob You're missed!

@kazu I hope your house decluttering is proceeding nicely, with minimal pain to you.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

56 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.  Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! I'm not into white wine, have never canned anything, and had to look up what Lamaas Day was . . . it involves bread which is to me is always a good thing.

Thank you all for your kind words of condolence yesterday; it was a rather quiet day around here, thinking of past events and all the people we've lost over the past couple of years.

August to me means summer is half over; we've always counted July and August as summer around our house - I guess it has to do with DH's teaching career.  Usually at the beginning of August I'd start seeing him gaze off into space, not thinking romantic loving thoughts, but planning curriculum and school events.  By the 3rd week of August he was in his classroom already, getting it ready to welcome the next year's students.  So glad those days are past us.

@ottahand7 you said you were out of bait . . . don't you have any worms on your property?  What about using corn?  You could always try my secret weapon - chewing gum (won me a family fishing derby).  We're planning on going out to our friend's lake in a couple of weeks and I'm planning on bringing both regular gum and bubble gum to see what works better.

@RMLincolnhoping for good news from DH's eye doctor today.

@Seasick Sailorsending prayers for your DS's medical appointments.

@dfishglad you woke to no pain this morning.

@smitty34877you poor thing, you must be exhausted if you fell asleep sitting upright in a hard chair!!  I wish I lived closer so I could step in with some help for you.

I have to tell you something that really got me riled up yesterday.  We went to Canadian Tire to get a couple of keys cut, then when we went to pay for them at the credit/debit machine, it asked if we wanted to tip 15, 18, or 20%.  Seriously?  For cutting keys at a huge store like that?  I tapped on "NO TIP". This tipping thing has gotten WAY out of control!  Rant over, thanks for letting me vent.

Not a lot happening for us today, will do the ever present laundry and maybe take a swipe at the kitchen floor with a mop.  Today seems like a good day to hang around and maybe take DH out for ice cream.  Can't take the roofless car because the garage door opener isn't going to be installed till the middle of next week, but I'll drive and let him open the window and hang his head out.  LOL

The drink sounds interesting, but I wonder if any of the BHB's carry Alize in their bars?  I'll let others enjoy my share of the white wine, and will tuck the soup recipe away for another season.  I've got a couple of pork chops thawing that will be given a brown sugar & seasoning rub, and cooked in the air fryer.  We'll enjoy them with garlic potatoes and green beans on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in turmoil, in the midst of wars, storms and fires.  Cheers to all who celebrate something today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

You kidding me? Tipping at Canadian Tire is ridiculous. I concur

• Like 18

Rabbit rabbit white rabbit. I am excited that the two empty houses in my neighborhood are getting people. Not as excited by the fact the dog population is doubling.  I like most animals but with nine dogs next door and a total of three others Already here, adding eight more to our Cul-de-sac is a lot.  I just hope they all get along and don't poop in my yard. I am heading back to Costco because I am such a tight wad I can't buy bread or milk that expires the next day. I'm hoping to get there closer to the restocking dates.  Prayers for all our family here on the FR & D.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s been a busy morning with work and home.  Mona let me sleep until 4:50 then she lost her patience, so breakfast got served.  When I went downstairs Zander’s front paws were under the closet door.  A mouse was in a trap, the mouse was promptly removed. We are currently under a heat alert, it was 86 F when I went to the bank at 10.  No soup today, instead we will have pork chops.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

I have a sunrise from three years ago today on the NA.

20210801_061035.thumb.jpeg.bdbad754c16c1d012c4fa06dde4ba7c1.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, 

Rabbit, rabbit, White Rabbit!!

It's a quiet morning here and how high today is supposed to be 85. DS says thank you for all the birthday wishes yesterday. How did I get old enough to have a son turning 48?? He had a good day including work, climbing, muiy tai boxing, and lasagna (my recipe) for dinner. I finally got to talk to him about 6:45 so that was nice. For some reason I've been a bit on the melancholy side the last few days. I'm missing DD DH I guess and it's all part of the grieving process even though it was a year ago. 

Yesterday was the pool and what a hoot! I do a 9:30 class that is aerobic and we pretty much do the same routine each time with some variations. The second class is an arthritis class that focuses more on stretching and our instructor is a retired teacher who has a great sense of humor. She keeps us moving! Yesterday she came up with an Olympics themed workout and most of us commented that we hadn't laughed so hard in a long time. If we were doing walking exercises we were pretending we were on the balance beam, we did different swim strokes as we walked, she had us doing a relay, playing water basketball and water volleyball. She even had prizes at the end - Werther's, silver kisses, and peanut butter cups. 

Today doesn't have much in it but I have a long list of things to do here at home as well as phone calls to make (the scammers are already starting).  9 days to the Discovery Princess cruise with my friend Karen so I'll have to start organizing for that soon. 

Have a lovely day and thanks again for the wishes for DS! 

Karen

• Like 26

Posted (edited)

We continue to enjoy this Voyage of the Vikings Legendary Voyage.  Yesterday,  the Classic Trio played an old favorite of mine from the Lincoln Center Playlist: starting with Aaron Copeland's Hoedown and finishing with Edith Piaf. They proudly told us Holland America payed for the rights to use these, not Lincoln Center. 

The Legendary Band played in the Ocean Bar while the Rolling Stone Band  does very well and Nathan continues at Billboard. 

We sat with seasoned Holland America Line Mariners at breakfast who have done the World Cruise on the Zuiderdam. I asked them what the World Cruise offered above this Legendary and they mentioned the pillow gifts, but not much else. We do have Captain Frank, Hotel GM Henk and Kimberly, same as this year's WC.

20240729_212422.jpg

20240729_125222.jpg

20240727_091943.jpg

20240723_183618.jpg

Edited by St Pete Cruiser
Spelling
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I want to minimize my intense screen time due to the neck issues so instead of posting photos from Arica I will link to my blog entry for that day:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.wordpress.com/2016/02/18/day-cs21-wednesday-february-17-arica-chile/

Roy

Thanks Roy, I just realized I will visit Arica on our Jan 7 - March 31, 2025 cruise around South America, including Antartica, Amazon and Rio Carnival. Miami to Miami. Will be visiting several of these less popular ports. Take care of that neck. B.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1