The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday August 5th, 2024

Posted (edited)

Good morning and thanks all! 
@Heartgrove congratulations on your new baby DGD

@cunnorl happy anniversary, 

@puppycanducruise happy belated birthday! 
@kazu your words also hit me! Very true! 
@marshhawk continued hugs and prayers! 
@smitty34877 hope the aide will continue, maybe she is just verbalizing that she is touched by Tana.  
@Seasick Sailor sorry your sister has to wait so long for her surgery, always a difficult time.  

We visited Hiroshima,  as did DS who spoke about it yesterday as it’s also international peace month.  It’s an amazing place, honouring the past contrasting beauty, and energy.  Highly recommend you stay a few days, so you can experience the serenity of Miyajima and eat okonomiyaki. 

The 1000 paper origami cranes are folded in the hopes that there will be no more war, the tradition was begun by a survivor of the bombing. 

IMG_1115.jpeg

IMG_1111.jpeg

IMG_1112.jpeg

IMG_1109.jpeg

IMG_1105.jpeg

IMG_1106.jpeg

IMG_1097.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 9

Posted (edited)

Modern Hiroshima contrasts with the nearby island of Miyajima.  The local delicacy is Okonomiyaki,  perhaps @dfish has a recipe?   It is a cross between a crepe and egg foo yung, the best I found in the train station. 

IMG_1158.jpeg

IMG_1154.jpeg

IMG_1150.jpeg

IMG_1120.jpeg

IMG_1118.jpeg

IMG_1093.jpeg

IMG_1085.jpeg

IMG_1081.jpeg

IMG_1074.jpeg

IMG_1063.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 8

Good morning all!

We have 2 necessary days and 1 sobering one.  As for traffic lights I wish my town had left the traffic lights in place instead of putting in back-to-back roundabouts. 😞  Too many people either don't know how to drive in them, or speed through like it's a race track.  Off my soap box now!

I'd love the drink, pass on the red wine, and would like the meal if someone else makes it for me (and add some meat).  We've been to Quebec but not this port.

Today will be grocery shopping, laundry and some gardening.  The weeds in the back yard have gotten away from me and I need to do some work back there even though it's the hottest part of the yard. 

Jack @Heartgrove Congratulations on the birth of your new granddaughter!

Terry @smitty34877 I would be concerned too about the aide's comments and hope she will stay on.  I'd also be looking at back-up help.

Charlene @cunnorl Happy 46th anniversary!  Enjoy your dinner.

Sharon @Sharon in AZ belated birthday greetings to your DGD Summer!  

Melanie @puppycanducruise belated Happy Birthday!

@lobsternight Happy Birthday!

Prayers for all in the path of Debbie.  My DSIL and other in-laws are in the area besides @Cruzin Terri and other Dailyites.  Stay safe!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, Dailyites, or Good afternoon to those ahead of us here on the west coast.  Today is BC Day here - but I think stores are open.  I am working on a needlepoint kit at the moment and I don't like the background colour they have given me.  I'm hoping to find something better but maybe I'll wait to go into town as the place is full of visitors.  Happy birthdays (some belated, sorry 'bout that) to @puppycanducruise, @lobsternight, and @Sharon in AZ's DGD;   Happy Anniversary @cunnorl, and congratulations @Heartgrove on the new granddaughter.  Prayers for Tana and Chuck and hearty hugs for their caregivers!  

Another neighbour is very sick with Covid, so it's definitely going around.  I think we will go back to wearing masks in crowded places.  Just in case...  I'm happy @kochleffel had his cat scan!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Melanie @puppycanducruise very happy belated birthday wishes to you.  I'm glad you enjoyed it with your family.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

and happy birthday to you too @lobsternight

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

2 hours ago, quilty964 said:

@StLouisCruisersI thought of you at the fair yesterday. I din't get a picture, but there was a cross stitch nativity scene picture. It had a 2nd place ribbon...I would have given it a 1st place!  It was around 10 x 14 inches...must have taken a very long time to make!  The stitches were very tiny!  

Thanks for letting me know that.  I'm sure it was a beautiful piece with excellent work.  I've been trying to catch up all week on my stocking project!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon!

Sue has headed north and I am enjoying the peace and quiet while I can.  

@Heartgrove

Congratulations.png.31a6b34d0a1df206807c7f266e2d0a7a.png

@lobsternight

Birthdaymen.jpg.31f3482285144fadfe4e716f446765b6.jpg

@puppycanducruise

HappyBirthday3.jpg.6f9b85a3922621fa05a29e7a4c3179c4.jpg

@cunnorl

Anniversary.jpg.535bb51e7bed77f832ffdb8169e66b86.jpg

And for @bennybear, here is  your recipe.  It sounds like it would be delicious.  Okonomiyaki is a savory Japanese cabbage pancake “grilled as you like it“ with your choice of protein and tasty condiments and toppings.  Okonomiyaki

Okonomiyaki.thumb.jpg.f17765c4049afcf74461ebfac2b54ab5.jpg

I couldn't resist the challenge.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I imagine traffic lights have prevented a lot of accidents. I'm all for underwear. We should remember those who perished in Hiroshima. Good quote. Funny, I'm going to make lasagna soup (skinnytaste.com) this week, but it has Italian sausage in it (which can be left out to make it vegetarian). Yes to a strawberry margarita (my favorite kind). Yes to the wine. I haven't been to Cap-aux-Meules; I'll be in Quebec for the first time this fall. The test ban treaty was an important matter.

Another sunny hot day here, with perhaps showers tonight. I enjoyed BFF's visit yesterday, and he just texted to say the people came to open his pool (3 months late due to his leg fracture). I called my ENT's office this AM and had to leave a message. They just called back to say he had cancellations tomorrow, so I have a 9AM appointment. Then other appointments in the afternoon at a different location. Today I have PT and some errands to run. 

I hope all in the path of Debby stay safe and have no or minimal property damage.

@StLouisCruisers It's too bad DGD Morgan also couldn't attend the wedding shower. I hope she's ok from the storm at her location.

@rafinmd Thanks for the link to your blog.

@puppycanducruise Belated Happy Birthday! Sorry I missed posting it yesterday.

@aliaschief Have a safe trip home.

@cat shepard I wish our big box stores could sell wine. In PA it's only at State run stores and some grocery stores now (but they have a very limited selection). Beer is sold by "beer distributors", and if you only want a 6 pack you have to buy that in a bar. Weird system.

@kazu Good luck with the house photo shoot tomorrow.

@Heartgrove Congratulations to your DD and the whole family on the arrival of the new little one!

@kochleffel I'm glad your temp is normal, you had negative Covid test, and a negative "cat" scan.

@smitty34877 I'm glad the aide is back. Interesting that she's used to older patients and is struggling a bit caring for Tana. I hope she stays with you since she is kind and capable.

@Cruzin Terri Thanks for checking in. I hope the power stays on.

@cunnorl Happy 46th Anniversary! Enjoy your dinner in the Pinnacle tonight.

@marshhawk It's not surprising that you feel depressed. I hope you have someone to talk to in person and to offer support.

@lobsternight Happy Birthday!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm glad you were able to get an appointment so soon with your ENT.  I hope he can help with the dizziness and balance.

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I did get Chuck out yesterday.  We had dunch/linner at a Mexican restaurant that is next door to Krogers.  When in the grocery store he uses the buggy as a walker.  We purchased a new toaster yesterday, yay!  So I can "cook" waffles.  LOL.  

The doctors were very concerned that Chuck was in the car when I ran into the post office, and bank, without having the air on.  The windows were down, he like hot, hates cold, but leaving a senior in  the hot car is like leaving a child in a hot car, and I can get arrested for senior abuse.

Thanks for the hugs today.

Annie, I'm glad you were able to get Chuck out of the house yesterday.  DH also uses the shopping cart as a walker at times.  I did not know leaving a senior citizen in the car was elder abuse.  DH stays in the car most  of the time, but then he is the driver and can turn on the a/c if needed.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Modern Hiroshima contrasts with the nearby island of Miyajima.  The local delicacy is Okonomiyaki,  perhaps @dfish has a recipe?   It is a cross between a crepe and egg foo yung, the best I found in the train station. 

IMG_1158.jpeg

IMG_1154.jpeg

IMG_1150.jpeg

IMG_1120.jpeg

IMG_1118.jpeg

IMG_1093.jpeg

IMG_1085.jpeg

IMG_1081.jpeg

IMG_1074.jpeg

IMG_1063.jpeg

Brenda, thanks for the pictures from Hiroshima and Miyajima.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Sunny and hot again although I do see some clouds to the west. Am not counting on anything coming of them. We do have increasing chances of rain this week, but I will not hold my breath, and also will not turn off the sprinklers until we have a good soaking rain. It will come I guess.

Covid does seem to going the rounds. My next door neighbor has come down with it  ... first time for her. She emailed me to ask was it ok to defer some of our projects. Yep, fine with me. I need to do some shopping for her tomorrow when I go to get a couple things for myself .... and that is a first. I plan to mask up, go early, and be in and out like a shot.

These past couple of days have been sort of downer. I was supposed to get hair and feet done... my gal never showed up or called. She did this before just before I went on the cruise .... I think it is time for us to part ways. Since I am not anxious to go into a salon for awhile, I think I will just grow shaggy for a few more weeks. For some reason this is all making me feel a bit depressed... need to take the dogs for a walk and maybe work on my storeroom clean out. Its should make me feel good to toss some stuff I have not used in years. There are a few mystery boxes in there... no labels.

Best wishes to all. @Cruzin TerriI hope the weather decides to give you a moderate dose of water. @marshhawkThinking of you and DH. Please try to get some help ... I know it is difficult but you do need to consider yourself and being given some breaks can help you in the long run.

Off to do a rain dance.

Susan

• Like 25

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon!

Sue has headed north and I am enjoying the peace and quiet while I can.  

@Heartgrove

Congratulations.png.31a6b34d0a1df206807c7f266e2d0a7a.png

@lobsternight

Birthdaymen.jpg.31f3482285144fadfe4e716f446765b6.jpg

@puppycanducruise

HappyBirthday3.jpg.6f9b85a3922621fa05a29e7a4c3179c4.jpg

@cunnorl

Anniversary.jpg.535bb51e7bed77f832ffdb8169e66b86.jpg

And for @bennybear, here is  your recipe.  It sounds like it would be delicious.  Okonomiyaki is a savory Japanese cabbage pancake “grilled as you like it“ with your choice of protein and tasty condiments and toppings.  Okonomiyaki

Okonomiyaki.thumb.jpg.f17765c4049afcf74461ebfac2b54ab5.jpg

I couldn't resist the challenge.  

Thank you! Knew I could count on you, they’re wonderful,  had one locally and it didn’t hold a candle to this so might have to try making them.

• Like 15

The weather people announced at 2:00 that there would be a chance of severe thunderstorms beginning at 3:00, which is when the farmers' market opens. I went there right at 3:00, then to a nearby supermarket. Rain started to fall as I was leaving the store, but stopped during the short drive home.

From the farmers' market: chard, green beans, cabbage

• Like 21

Good Morning everyone.

It's sunny, present temperature 4 C, expected high today is 14 C.

Yesterday @grapau27  posted photos of their visit to the Lake District, what were those two animals on the road?    (From your posts, It was quite obvious you were away from home, I had guessed the Lake District.)

Will read all the posts later.

• Like 17

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Good Morning everyone.

It's sunny, present temperature 4 C, expected high today is 14 C.

Yesterday @grapau27  posted photos of their visit to the Lake District, what were those two animals on the road?    (From your posts, It was quite obvious you were away from home, I had guessed the Lake District.)

Will read all the posts later.

Thank you for your interest @erewhon.

They were wild sheep.

There are hundreds on the Fells in the Lake District.

I was driving over Kirkstone Pass and often see sheep on the road or on the grass verges at the side of the road.

Kindest regards.

Graham.

Screenshot_20240801_142453_com.android.gallery3d.thumb.jpg.1ce9db64f2fd054c48f8f2d335fc0c5d.jpg

IMG_20240801_142318.jpg

IMG_20240801_152346.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3