The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday August 14th, 2024

richwmn

Good morning, Dailyites,  interesting days!  Nice to hear "our teenager" is enjoying football, but I know we all worry about Tana's struggles, she is so lucky to have you, Terry.  Jacqui, your house seems to be really popular, hope you get lots of offers and a real bidding war!  Actually, it only takes two really keen people to bid the price up and up!  And it's nice to see @atexsix back again!

I was exhausted last night, went to bed at 9:50 and woke up this morning at 8:15.  I did get up twice during the night, but went right back to sleep.  Weird dreams.  Yesterday was hectic, hospital visits to get Pat's blood work done (again!) and a chest x-ray, with, of course, long waits, and tomorrow he is scheduled for an angiogram.  That will be all day in the hospital, they say, and I have my radiation oncologist appointment at 1.  I'm tempted to try to put it off, but it may be too late to do that.  My mind is on other things.  He is also on antibiotics for a UTI, but evidently that won't deter them from doing the angiogram.  Also we need to get the ostomy nurses involved tomorrow, if he's going to be in recovery for 4 hours or more.  

We haven't been to Road Town, the recipes look interesting for the Caprese salad, although I would leave out the pasta, too.  When we were in Reykjavik my cousin took us to the Fridheimar tomato farm for lunch and we had a DIY Caprese with their beautiful tomatoes and burrata  and on each table was a large basil plant.  Could not have been fresher!  What an amazing spot!

IMG_0879.thumb.jpeg.d9b61db4d0c32f757f093f946c5ff13e.jpeg

IMG_0829.thumb.jpeg.303bc152407f8196a2474958d81f6961.jpeg

IMG_0824.thumb.jpeg.09b2785f93432a61e6b01c652d3db4ec.jpeg

IMG_0821.thumb.jpeg.9df4f7d5da93c2c3ccb0cef1017398b5.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I love that too for much of the year, but I like one month of some heat before we get to mid-Oct.

We had heat in July, enough for me LOL. I am glad though that we put in the A/C 2 years ago.  We've used it a lot this summer.

Also I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we have a lovely fall. 

• Like 18

42 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I love that too for much of the year, but I like one month of some heat before we get to mid-Oct.

Yeah - it seems like we went from summer to November these last couple of days.

• Like 14

Good morning all. For the past couple of weeks I have only read the daily a few time and I have not posted. As you may recall my son, Tony, was forced to retire because he was physically not able to do his job about 2 or 3 months ago, then he develope cellulitis in both legs and feet and was hospitalized a couple of times in Tulsa Ok. 2 weeks ago he thought he was well enough to drive to Az. to live with me but he had a single car accident. He says he was not hurt but his car was a total loss. My dear BIL and I flew to Ok picked him and his belongings up, flew back home and the very next day Tony was admitted tp the hospital with a multitude of illnesses. He was discharged after 5 days and seems to be doing a little bit better but is still both sick and having a very difficult time getting up and down and walking. Needless to say I have been somewhat stressed out. I know that recovery will take some time for him, I believe that I will be back to my normal soon.

I have continued to pray for Jacqui and Tana and others who need prayers without naming them. Hooray for all who are in good health and for all who are traveling. I am not going to try to catch up on all that I have missed on the daily but will try to at least read the daily again.

Jane

• Like 9
  • Thanks 19

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon,

I may be looking for a new dentist.  The hygienist wouldn't clean my teeth.  He says I have extensive periodontal disease and need a deep cleaning for more money, of course.  Sue would disagree with him on that.  Plus I need to replace a crown.  I told him to pick the most important thing because I can only pay for one.  The crown fell off and they won't put it back on.  

Grrrrr

I know they need to make money, but I am not an endless well of financial resources.  What makes me the maddest is that they have no respect for the financial situation of their patients and just say that is what they will do and I have to pay on my way out the door whether I have the money or not.  Get a loan was the suggestion.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 18

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Lizards are ok from a distance. I'll salute the Navajo Code Talkers. Romance is nice. Funny quote. Maybe for the meal. Mai Tai was my drink of choice in college, when my roommate and I went to a Polynesian restaurant on Sunday nights for the apps and drinks. Yes to the wine. I have not been to Tortola. 3 good days in history. 

It's another sunny day, temps in the upper 70's, but more humid. 86F tomorrow. Before bed last night I started my vertigo maneuver, but only did 2 times as I had no symptoms, and the directions say to stop if no symptoms. This morning's exercise made me dizzy on the other side (but at least no nausea)! I'm confused, lol. I was awakened at 4AM by the alarm system chirping about a trouble situation. It said no AC, but the power was on and it's plugged into a battery type generator (in case of power loss). I silenced the chirp, but couldn't fall back asleep until about 7AM. The generator's AC outlets had shut off! Not good; what if I was away? So the alarm system and chest freezer are plugged into the wall and I'm troubleshooting the generator. This has set me back in terms of getting some things done. Then I get a message that my Restasis eye drops are ready, for $358!! I know they've gone up about 200%, which is ridiculous. I'll get a 1 month supply instead, as my Ophthalmologist showed me how to use each little vial for more than one day. The generic version costs just as much.

@StLouisCruisers Safe travels. 

@ottahand7 Enjoy the dinner tonight.

@grapau27 Great looking lunch.

@0106 Safe travels to Rotterdam. I'll be following your live thread. 

@smitty34877 Enjoy the grilled meal. I'm glad Tana tries to eat. And I'm sure the teenager is hungry after his athletic endeavors.

@dfish Wow on that dentist's office, not even trying to work with you. Time to look elsewhere I'd say. We have a dental school here that is good and affordable. I was lucky to find a good dentist nearby, when my dentist of 30+ years retired. I was hoping after the success of the back surgery, that I could go full tilt into getting stronger and somewhat back into shape. This dizziness and balance issue is interfering with that, and I want it gone now.

@Sir PMP Thanks for the map and photo.

@St Pete Cruiser Nice Reykjavik photos. I hope to get there one day.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Excellent photos. 

@rafinmd Hoping for a good report from your PCP.

@Seasick Sailor Praying for a great outcome for Bonnie.

@kazu I'm glad that Ivan is such a good boy. Lots of showings is good. I hope the doctor's appointment goes well.

@Mtn2Sea Very nice photos. 

@atexsix Hi Bruno! Nice to see you posting.

@kochleffel Paul, I'm glad you're feeling better.

@Vict0riann Prayers for Pat tomorrow with his angiogram and a good outcome. I hope you can keep your appointment with Radiation Oncology. Nice photos from Reykjavik. 

@lazey1 Oh no, your DS has been through so much lately. I'm glad he is now with you, although his medical issues are making things difficult right now. Prayers for you both.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 11

49 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Good morning all. For the past couple of weeks I have only read the daily a few time and I have not posted. As you may recall my son, Tony, was forced to retire because he was physically not able to do his job about 2 or 3 months ago, then he develope cellulitis in both legs and feet and was hospitalized a couple of times in Tulsa Ok. 2 weeks ago he thought he was well enough to drive to Az. to live with me but he had a single car accident. He says he was not hurt but his car was a total loss. My dear BIL and I flew to Ok picked him and his belongings up, flew back home and the very next day Tony was admitted tp the hospital with a multitude of illnesses. He was discharged after 5 days and seems to be doing a little bit better but is still both sick and having a very difficult time getting up and down and walking. Needless to say I have been somewhat stressed out. I know that recovery will take some time for him, I believe that I will be back to my normal soon.

I have continued to pray for Jacqui and Tana and others who need prayers without naming them. Hooray for all who are in good health and for all who are traveling. I am not going to try to catch up on all that I have missed on the daily but will try to at least read the daily again.

Jane

I'm so sorry to hear your sons health situation Jane.

You are a lovely person praying for everyone else when you are stressed about your son and need our prayers.

God  bless you both and you have our prayers 🙏 and best wishes and I'm sure everyone on the daily wants the best for you.

Love from us both.

Graham and Pauline xx.

• Like 19

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the Day - Daou 2022 Cabernet Sauvignon (Paso Robles)

@cat shepard made an interesting casual remark in her (as usual) excellent commentary of this wine.

Wine labels in the United States are regulated by the U.S. Department of Treasury Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB).  One of TTB's wine label regulations is that the type of wine be specified.  This specification can be broad--for example "Red Wine," or quite specific.  In the case of todays Wine of the Day, "Cabernet Sauvignon."

Today's Wine of the Day is a "varietal" wine--that is a wine made predominantly from a single grape variety.  In such a case, the wine type on the label indicates the grape variety that predominates the wine.  The question becomes what does "predominantly" mean?  The TTB resolves that question by regulation.  A varietal wine must be made from at least 75% of a single grape variety.

If other grape varieties are, in fact, included in a varietal wine, there is no obligation for the maker to disclose that information.  So, more often than not, the consumer does not know if the Zinfandel he is drinking is made from 100% Zinfandel grapes, or whether it has some Carignan or Petite Sirah or anything else added included.

Going back to today's Wine of the Day, the maker, Daou, does, in fact, disclose that the wine they have described as Cabernet Sauvignon was made from multiple grape varieties: 77.5% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15.6% Petit Verdot, 6.5% Merlot, 0.4% Cabernet Franc.  So, TTB easily approved the use of "Cabernet Sauvignon" as the wine type on the label

One question that might arise is, "How is this requirement enforced?"

I don't know.  I know that the TTB is not randomly pulling bottles off of store shelves and testing them.  I do know that label infractions have been reported to the authorities by disgruntled employees or by envious competitors, and some makers have been charged and convicted of violations.

Also, note that the TTB's 75% bar is a minimum.  In the case of Washington a wine must consist of 80% of a single grape in order to be described as a varietal wine.  Oregon may have the same standard.  I really am not sure.

Finally, other countries have different rules.  Some wines of the Bordeaux in France are, invariably, blends of a handful of varieties.  Barolo, from Italy, must be 100% Nebbiolo. In order to be sold in the United States, imported wines must also have TTB compliant labels.  For example, they must include the required health warning.  I just looked at the labels of the two Barolos in my inventory, and they are both labeled "Red Wine."

• Like 15
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

We had heat in July, enough for me LOL. I am glad though that we put in the A/C 2 years ago.  We've used it a lot this summer.

Also I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we have a lovely fall. 

Now that I can handle, I love fall.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites,  interesting days!  Nice to hear "our teenager" is enjoying football, but I know we all worry about Tana's struggles, she is so lucky to have you, Terry.  Jacqui, your house seems to be really popular, hope you get lots of offers and a real bidding war!  Actually, it only takes two really keen people to bid the price up and up!  And it's nice to see @atexsix back again!

I was exhausted last night, went to bed at 9:50 and woke up this morning at 8:15.  I did get up twice during the night, but went right back to sleep.  Weird dreams.  Yesterday was hectic, hospital visits to get Pat's blood work done (again!) and a chest x-ray, with, of course, long waits, and tomorrow he is scheduled for an angiogram.  That will be all day in the hospital, they say, and I have my radiation oncologist appointment at 1.  I'm tempted to try to put it off, but it may be too late to do that.  My mind is on other things.  He is also on antibiotics for a UTI, but evidently that won't deter them from doing the angiogram.  Also we need to get the ostomy nurses involved tomorrow, if he's going to be in recovery for 4 hours or more.  

We haven't been to Road Town, the recipes look interesting for the Caprese salad, although I would leave out the pasta, too.  When we were in Reykjavik my cousin took us to the Fridheimar tomato farm for lunch and we had a DIY Caprese with their beautiful tomatoes and burrata  and on each table was a large basil plant.  Could not have been fresher!  What an amazing spot!

Thanks.  I've been poking in/out.  Trying to get my bookings done for next year but waiting on a couple of things.  Lisa's next Westerdam trip for one.  I need a trained eye on the condition of that ship. @LAFFNVEGAS Lisa, will you be doing a Live From later this month?

• Like 14

Good afternoon from a sunny and hot, 98F, central Texas.  The humidity is lower now than in the early morning, and our skies are the beautiful blue I remember from my childhood.  As usual for a sunny summer day, big, fluffy white clouds are forming.  

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Happy Hump Day. 

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for the FR&D     I like all 3 days.  .    Special prayers fo rBonnie,  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.

Interesting that the Eastwood quote came up on Romance Awareness Day..

I’ve been to Road Town twice, Blount Small Ship Adventures in 2008 and 2013 on the Elegant Explorer..

Three great days in history, especially the Social Security Act since my 42 years there have financed my life since 1965.,

I’ll pass on the meal.  .My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Prime Rib of Beef  au jus, and Baked Alaska as might have been served on SS Rotterdam V August 14, 1997

I’ve been out for my walk.. Followup this afternoon with my primary doctor’s practice on my neck.

Roy

Roy, I hope you get a good report from the PCP's office.

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites 

It's 78 at 7:30 now, rising to 99. The rest of the week is 100's. Looks like Ernesto is possibly going to hurricane status today.

OK Dailyites, we have GOT to stop these falls! I'm sorry for those who are ill right now. I'm praying for each of you on the cares list. Paul, I hope the meds kicked in and you feel better soon.

Bon Voyage Tina! Looking forward to your live thread.

Safe travels Sandi and Dennis. Big hug for Ren.

I'm hoping @richwmn will do a live thread for our Japan Cruise. I'm too chicken to do one on my own.

I make caprese salad all the time. No pasta. I use burrata cheese and Campari tomatoes. My basil plant gets a workout. 

Thank you for prayers for my dear sis. There's complications due to her scleroderma and the surgeon and plastic surgeon will need to determine the course of action when they start the surgery. Other scarey stuff, but enough shared.

Graham your lunch looks so good. I miss the wonderful fish and chips in the UK. Hello to sweet Pauline. 

Seems like our friends have all decided to take holiday at the same time. We have friends leaving today for Greece (hoping the smoke doesn't waft) friends leaving for Alaska cruises, a couple taking a 1 month motorcycle trip and visiting friends and family from Texas to Canada. And our friends closing up their Montana home and heading south.

Wishing each and everyone of you a blessed day! Be kind. 

Joy, I'm sorry there are so many complications for Bonnie with her upcoming surgery.  Sending positive thoughts that all goes well for her.

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich & thanks to our F & B team.

I was up early but spent some time with Ivan so I’m late to the party today.  Phone just keeps on  a-ringing this morning with more showings.  Today is only 5 thankfully.

Yesterday was a long day for Ivan and I and he was  such a good boy I wanted to make sure he got lots of love this morning since he is going to face it again today (and tomorrow and the next and next and next).  

In fact Ivan learned a new command yesterday.  He had learned to do a down with a treat luring him but yesterday he did it on voice command.

IMG_2649.thumb.jpeg.16f1c87a1ec7a5255cb269f596bf467f.jpeg

I was quite impressed and tossed him dog treats.  

IMG_2650.thumb.jpeg.079c3da218aa4e4b3b9c9f1cc3626bd5.jpeg

Doctor’s appointment and then showings - once they start hopefully I will have time to come back.

prayers to those on the Care list & those that need them.  Cheers to everyone celebrating and cruising.

Jacqui, Ivan looks quite relaxed in the pictures.  All these people around are providing good training for him in your new home together.  I hope all the lookers start a big bidding war for your house.  I also hope your doctor appointment went well today.

4 hours ago, Mtn2Sea said:

We've been to today’s port, Road Town, Tortola, twice.  Our first visit was in 2005 while aboard the Westerdam and then this past March while on the Zaandam.  On our first visit, we took a fast boat to The Baths, where we spent several hours exploring the boulders and swimming.  In March we just walked around the port area and had lunch while overlooking the water.

DSCN0998.thumb.jpeg.5b5fb4ea004a4330a8275340de88cd14.jpeg

DSCN0997.thumb.jpeg.416767d5eb99632999153db539dd3c9b.jpeg

DSCN0994.thumb.jpeg.a7d97a68cbd9831eb09206e1ac660b9d.jpeg

IMG_0595.thumb.jpeg.acdc7e28aca7c6f9fc58018bd7ffa27d.jpeg

IMG_0575.thumb.jpeg.de2dd533d48d4f9b2e7fa4168d5f905b.jpeg

IMG_0589.thumb.jpeg.47f1be5567252cde9f6e1df2b1b36aba.jpeg

IMG_0591.thumb.jpeg.800e6e8799270214a984ac38ec132495.jpeg

IMG_0599.thumb.jpeg.ebca1675186b7e0a83d281fa747666e8.jpeg

Robert, thanks for all the pictures from The Baths.  That is such an interesting place.

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I'll let the salad go on its merry way, and the cocktail can go with it. For the wine, let's be daring with Eminence Road 2021 Finger Lakes 'Acidalia' Red Blend, $23.99. I have no idea why they call it that. "This is a blend of roughly equal parts Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot sourced from three vineyards on the east side of Seneca Lake. The grapes were crushed with 25% stem inclusion and left to ferment with once-daily punch downs. It spent about 11 months in French oak barrels before being bottled unfined and unfiltered. It’s a light and juicy style with some darker fruit and peppery spice and bright acidity that will leave your mouth watering. It is delicious with a slight chill, perfect for grill season!"

I visited Tortola in 2019 on the Norwegian Epic. I didn't go to Virgin Gorda and now wish that I had.

This morning my temperature was down and my oxygen saturation was up.

I think that I will be able to go to Glimmerglass. I have tickets for The Pirates of Penzance, Elizabeth Cree, La Calisto, and Pagliacci.

buyafowl.jpg.bc6beeef37d2ce26980080c8a69a563c.jpg

Paul, I'm glad your fever is gone and you're feeling better.  It's good that you will be able to go to Glimmerglass.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Lovely photos Lenda.

Thank you, Graham.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Ann, I hope all goes well for Pat with the angiogram tomorrow.  When DH had one, the recovery was not from sedation but the need to lie flat for several hours so the blood vessel could seal back up.  I hope you can make your radiation appointment while he is recovering. 

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

Jane

Jane, I'm sorry your DS had an accident and then been so ill.  Positive thoughts for his recovery.  Take care of yourself, too.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon,

I may be looking for a new dentist.  The hygienist wouldn't clean my teeth.  He says I have extensive periodontal disease and need a deep cleaning for more money, of course.  Sue would disagree with him on that.  Plus I need to replace a crown.  I told him to pick the most important thing because I can only pay for one.  The crown fell off and they won't put it back on.  

Grrrrr

I know they need to make money, but I am not an endless well of financial resources.  What makes me the maddest is that they have no respect for the financial situation of their patients and just say that is what they will do and I have to pay on my way out the door whether I have the money or not.  Get a loan was the suggestion.

Debbie, I needed a deep cleaning a year ago, and it saved me from needing to see a periodontist.   Ask Sue about getting dental glue and putting the crown back on at least temporarily.  DH keeps some in his travel bag, and has used it on cruises.  He's also given some to a tablemate who lost her crown.  I'm very lucky that my dentist will listen to me, and when he gives me options will tell me what he'd do in my place.  He even suggested a bridge to replace the two teeth I had pulled three months ago, but said an implant would be possible if done within a year.  I hope you find a good dentist like mine, because I'm keeping him here.

58 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Lizards are ok from a distance. I'll salute the Navajo Code Talkers. Romance is nice. Funny quote. Maybe for the meal. Mai Tai was my drink of choice in college, when my roommate and I went to a Polynesian restaurant on Sunday nights for the apps and drinks. Yes to the wine. I have not been to Tortola. 3 good days in history. 

It's another sunny day, temps in the upper 70's, but more humid. 86F tomorrow. Before bed last night I started my vertigo maneuver, but only did 2 times as I had no symptoms, and the directions say to stop if no symptoms. This morning's exercise made me dizzy on the other side (but at least no nausea)! I'm confused, lol. I was awakened at 4AM by the alarm system chirping about a trouble situation. It said no AC, but the power was on and it's plugged into a battery type generator (in case of power loss). I silenced the chirp, but couldn't fall back asleep until about 7AM. The generator's AC outlets had shut off! Not good; what if I was away? So the alarm system and chest freezer are plugged into the wall and I'm troubleshooting the generator. This has set me back in terms of getting some things done. Then I get a message that my Restasis eye drops are ready, for $358!! I know they've gone up about 200%, which is ridiculous. I'll get a 1 month supply instead, as my Ophthalmologist showed me how to use each little vial for more than one day. The generic version costs just as much.

@StLouisCruisers Safe travels. 

@ottahand7 Enjoy the dinner tonight.

@grapau27 Great looking lunch.

@0106 Safe travels to Rotterdam. I'll be following your live thread. 

@smitty34877 Enjoy the grilled meal. I'm glad Tana tries to eat. And I'm sure the teenager is hungry after his athletic endeavors.

@dfish Wow on that dentist's office, not even trying to work with you. Time to look elsewhere I'd say. We have a dental school here that is good and affordable. I was lucky to find a good dentist nearby, when my dentist of 30+ years retired. I was hoping after the success of the back surgery, that I could go full tilt into getting stronger and somewhat back into shape. This dizziness and balance issue is interfering with that, and I want it gone now.

@Sir PMP Thanks for the map and photo.

@St Pete Cruiser Nice Reykjavik photos. I hope to get there one day.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Excellent photos. 

@rafinmd Hoping for a good report from your PCP.

@Seasick Sailor Praying for a great outcome for Bonnie.

@kazu I'm glad that Ivan is such a good boy. Lots of showings is good. I hope the doctor's appointment goes well.

@Mtn2Sea Very nice photos. 

@atexsix Hi Bruno! Nice to see you posting.

@kochleffel Paul, I'm glad you're feeling better.

@Vict0riann Prayers for Pat tomorrow with his angiogram and a good outcome. I hope you can keep your appointment with Radiation Oncology. Nice photos from Reykjavik. 

@lazey1 Oh no, your DS has been through so much lately. I'm glad he is now with you, although his medical issues are making things difficult right now. Prayers for you both.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I hope you find the problem with the generator outlets.  It sounds like a circuit breaker might have tripped, but I'm sure you've already thought of that.  I'm sorry you were dizzy this morning doing the maneuver, but glad there was no nausea.

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise(or sunset, I know it was August 14 because of the placement on the roll but no time data) is my earliest ever, taken on my one cruise aboard SS Rotterdam V.  It was taken August 14, 1997 as we steamed the inland passage from Seward to Vancouver:

IMG0010.JPG.f6cb8121f9eab66e61b25250e488

This was my first ever cruise on Holland America and my first cruise with CD Rick Spath who later became a great cruise director on Crystal..

Roy

Roy, our first HAL cruise was on Ryndam in 1998, and Rick Spath was the CD.  He joined us at lunch in the Lido one day, and we had a very nice visit.  When we were on Ryndam again later that year, I was sorry to learn he had gone to work for Disney.  He is a great DC.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

We have a dental hygiene school very close by and I may go there.  It is further for a dental school, but I would consider it.  I have had more than my share of dental nightmares.  The dentist I wanted to see retired just before I moved here.  

Do they know what is causing the dizziness and balance issues?  I can understand that you want it gone now, if not yesterday!

44 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, I needed a deep cleaning a year ago, and it saved me from needing to see a periodontist.   Ask Sue about getting dental glue and putting the crown back on at least temporarily.  DH keeps some in his travel bag, and has used it on cruises.  He's also given some to a tablemate who lost her crown.  I'm very lucky that my dentist will listen to me, and when he gives me options will tell me what he'd do in my place.  He even suggested a bridge to replace the two teeth I had pulled three months ago, but said an implant would be possible if done within a year.  I hope you find a good dentist like mine, because I'm keeping him here.

I have some dental glue and will put the crown back on.  Sue says she knows people who have done that for long periods of time.  I may need the deep cleaning, but it was the attitude that I disliked.  He wanted me to agree to it right then and there without knowing the cost and what insurance would cover.  No, I don't do that.  And they want payment for the crown before treatment.  I can understand they have the expense of materials, but it is a small fraction of what they charge the patient.  

• Like 22

Ohhhhhh nooooo..... our water softener was supposedly fixed yesterday. Well, today I went in the garage and it's stuck on a cycle again. Never had a problem in 4 years until Kinetico replaced cylinders last week. I was sick over the gallons of water the guy ran to clear salt from the line yesterday. They are coming again tomorrow,  now between 8 and 12..

• Like 10
  • Thanks 8

40 minutes ago, dfish said:

We have a dental hygiene school very close by and I may go there.  It is further for a dental school, but I would consider it.  I have had more than my share of dental nightmares.  The dentist I wanted to see retired just before I moved here.  

Do they know what is causing the dizziness and balance issues?  I can understand that you want it gone now, if not yesterday!

I have some dental glue and will put the crown back on.  Sue says she knows people who have done that for long periods of time.  I may need the deep cleaning, but it was the attitude that I disliked.  He wanted me to agree to it right then and there without knowing the cost and what insurance would cover.  No, I don't do that.  And they want payment for the crown before treatment.  I can understand they have the expense of materials, but it is a small fraction of what they charge the patient.  

Debbie, I wouldn't like that attitude either.  My dentist always wanted to be a small town dentist, and he has a great "chair side" manner.  After the appointment, when you are paying, they print out what will be done and the fees at the net appointment.  If you agree, you sign one copy and keep the other copy.  It's still not cheap.

35 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Ohhhhhh nooooo..... our water softener was supposedly fixed yesterday. Well, today I went in the garage and it's stuck on a cycle again. Never had a problem in 4 years until Kinetico replaced cylinders last week. I was sick over the gallons of water the guy ran to clear salt from the line yesterday. They are coming again tomorrow,  now between 8 and 12..

Oh No, is right, Joy.  I hope they send a different technician tomorrow, and/or pay part of the extra water bill after their mistakes.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon,

Grrrrr

GRRR is putting it mildly.  I have other words but I don’t want to get banned on CC.  😡 

WTH?  I’ve NEVER heard of a hygienist refusing to clean teeth.  they might clean them and tell them you need a deep clean but seriously?  

And telling you to get a LOAN????  I have three words for them and they aren’t I love you.

I go to a periodontist every 3 months for my cleaning (they are a deeper clean) but I can tell you the cost is not that much more than the hygienist here.  Maybe $40 and fortunately my insurance pays 80%.

Defintiely time for a new dentist and hygienist IMO.  

that’ treatment is uncalled for and plain rude.  IMO.  I give them a not nice review (once you find a new one) if they do that there.

47 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

OH NO is right.  that’s crazy.  I hope they get if fixed this time and fixed for good without wasting so much water.  It sounds to me like someone didn’t do something right 😡 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, dfish said:

Debbie, I'm not sure they know the cause. Initially it was thought to be all vestibular. When you look at risk factors for that it's aging, being female (which apply) and stuff I haven't had to my knowledge like labyrinthitis, head trauma, migraine, inner ear surgery and Meniere's disease. The MRI and carotid US were ok, ruling out brain lesions (I worried about a stroke) and blood supply issues to the brain. My PCP is still looking for other causes of the balance issues. I have trouble when I move my head too fast, sit up, get up from a chair, which all sound like vestibular issues to me.

51 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oh no is right! It's bad when the maintenance or repair people make things worse by something they did.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

All Aboard was 5:30 w/sail away scheduled for 6. Looks like everyone behaved & complied as we left early.

20240814_175405.thumb.jpg.c15fd528fdab766145bb90a99f2c6534.jpg

20240814_175315.thumb.jpg.29817b93b092c64cb5c08032912303c9.jpg

Ocean Cay is really beautiful; I would definitely come back.

I went over this afternoon after I finished work; wasn't able to get here for lunch, so I can't comment on the food. They have a buffet and several food trucks - maybe next time.

I stopped into each of the shops and only bought 1 thing that wasn't on my list (a coffee cup w/a sleeve). They have some beautiful jewelry - none coming home w/me, but very nice.

I went to the closest bar for a couple drinks; I took water w/me from the ship.

20240814_154957.thumb.jpg.09b1489be4882ab4c259fc29c3b27e09.jpg

20240814_155834.thumb.jpg.ef40cc80e7de308645570abfd919e948.jpg

It's nice that your key card works for drinks & souvenirs - really adds value to the drink package. 

Something for the Garden Club.

20240814_160006.thumb.jpg.6b3a6c70d8e98c19d00e912c7720aece.jpg

20240814_160012.thumb.jpg.f23043b3d3516fbf93d653028ed3d7f9.jpg

20240814_160015.thumb.jpg.57e9c394fb119dfac100b3ab848ef68e.jpg

Next stop - Nassau.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Good day and thanks all! 
@lazey1 I’m sorry for your news but hope your DS improves soon.

@Vict0riannplease don’t put off your treatment,  I know you have a lot on your plate but sooner is best.

@dfish wanted to thank you for the excellent shrimp salad, we made the Vietnamese satay one yesterday and it was delish!  Yikes on the dentist!   

Well today I went to the endodontist.  350$ to say as expected they can’t do anything,  my insurance will only cover 150 of that bill.    Friday on to the oral surgeon,  so extraction, bone grafts and implants or bridge.   DH is a little sore but basically sound thankfully! 

I prefer little lizards as well.  And gotta love Caprese salads with burrata! 

IMG_0293.jpeg

IMG_0438.jpeg

IMG_3648.jpeg

IMG_2556.jpeg

IMG_3683.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Hi friends! Thanks for today's FR&D - I enjoyed Mr. Eastwood's quote!

I've been scurrying around trying to take care of all the pre-op requirements for next Tuesday's hip replacement. Seems like I cross one appointment off the list & end up adding two more. I've had three different lab draws done because of dr. & hospital requirements! Feel like a pin cushion!

Today's blip happened when I went for an ultrasound ordered by my primary. Got to the radiologist in plenty of time, only to find out that I was supposed to fast for six hours before..... turns out that the email with instructions landed in my spam folder yesterday & I never saw it. Sigh! Rescheduled for tomorrow.

@durangoscots Susan - glad to hear that you booked next year's 28-day Alaska trip! I look forward to meeting you and the rest of our Dailyites!

Tina @0106 looking forward to your live thread.

@dfish I'm glad you have alternatives to that dentist and his staff. They sound like horrible people!

Off to fix dinner for DS now - a comfort food night. Tuna mac salad - one of his favorites! 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the daily information.

Our first cat used to hunt geckos when we stayed at our beach side holiday house. She travelled very calmly for the two hour journey, there was a speed bump at the entrance to the village, she would then sit up give a little meow as if to say here we are, I can go hunting!  She did not kill them, would bring them to us, to return them to the garden.

@lazey1  sorry to read of the health problems your DS is suffering.

@Vict0riann  it's important to keep your oncology appointment, even though you are worrying about Pat.

@grapau27 have you considered moving to a house overlooking the ocean?

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2