Celebrity laundry and delicate-wash items

Wavedance

For longer cruises, we have previously sailed on lines such as Oceania and Princess with self-service laundry. We will need to have laundry done on our 11-day cruise on Celebrity next month but I'm concerned the items I normally wash on delicate will be harmed. Can they do a delicate load? Most of my clothes these days seems to require a delicate wash. Thanks for any advice.

Agree. Never had an issue with X laundry but if I take delicate items on board I either have them dry cleaned or more frequently just take them home. I am sure I speak for many…I do have an ‘evening’ cruise wardrobe of items that mix and match, don’t crease, don’t show marks…Items I do send in to wash during the cruise tend to be shorts, T shirts and underwear. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I never send anything to the laundry that I would worry about being faded, shrunk, or otherwise ruined. I always carry a small bottle of Woolite and some travel hangers -- for delicates. Also -- don't know about the newer ships, but Millie Class cabins still have retractable clotheslines in the shower.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree with the previous posters. I hand wash those things that will dry in a reasonable amount of time and don't need ironing. Anything that has to be washed in cold water or drip dried is dry cleaned. That's most of my wardrobe so I budget for dry cleaning. (Holiday from laundry for meeeeeeeee! 😁)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

we took the ships tour on EDGE..  The laundry is amazing but there are no machines small emough to do a delicate cold water wash!  Huge Industrial operation.  they do a grest job!

I use travel laundry detergent in the sink. Ship laundry is hot wash, hot rinse, hot dry.

Travel Laundry Detergent Sheets - Portable, and Efficient, Great for Cruises, Camping, Glamping, Backpacking, Dorms, Hotel and Other Travel, Compact and Convenient Size 50-count, 3 Pack https://a.co/d/7a2iVpK

Small and easy for TSA, but heed the warning to handle with dry hands. Messy lesson learned. 😂

Edited by Buckeye94
More info
  • Thanks 1

I bring a clothesline with us & woolite travel packs of soap & hand wash. There is no way I would send our expensive quick dry clothes to the laundry. Has anyone ever gotten a wash basin to wash clothes when you ask the steward? The sinks are small so washing long pants will be difficult. 

• Thanks 1

I also use the laundry sheets and hand wash in the sink or for larger items I use the Scrubba Wash Bag.  I have found I dissolve a partial laundry sheet and then add more warm water and add the clothes to soak.  After about 30 minutes I "scrub" , rinse and then wring dry with a towel.  It works great as we also have a portable hanging clothes line.  Worked great earlier this year when we traveled for 34 days.

We can get a bag of laundry done for free but there is no way I want my laundry handled with too hot of water or strong smelling detergents. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 563toM said:

I also use the laundry sheets and hand wash in the sink or for larger items I use the Scrubba Wash Bag.  I have found I dissolve a partial laundry sheet and then add more warm water and add the clothes to soak.  After about 30 minutes I "scrub" , rinse and then wring dry with a towel.  It works great as we also have a portable hanging clothes line.  Worked great earlier this year when we traveled for 34 days.

We can get a bag of laundry done for free but there is no way I want my laundry handled with too hot of water or strong smelling detergents. 

Love the Scrubba wash bag for everything including delicates. It does a great job combined with the rolled towel “stomp”. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

Last October on Equinox  I asked for cold water wash and low heat dry and my items came back perfect!

Sounds like your clothing can survive hot water/dryers.  We can request anything we want but it will be washed in hot water and dried with high heat.  I had heard some have had luck requesting their shirts come back on hangers, I've never had luck with that despite talking to the stateroom attendant and writing it on the form

40 minutes ago, Harrisonkid said:

I have used the laundry many times . I only send underwear (yes I’m a guy) swim trunks ,tee shirts (light colors)and golf shirts (light colors)They do a fine job but I would not send anything important !!!

I will only send undergarments and some tops that are polyester or nylon. I will not send anything cotton as I don't even use dryer at home for them. Sometimes I will spot clean a garment in my cabin  if not too dirty. 

21 minutes ago, Mark+Anne said:

That's what I do and I've never had a problem. Anne

You can ask, but likelihood is that is not how they are washed.  Way too many passengers for them to individualize any loads, plus they also use the high heat temps for sanitary reasons.  That said, in all my dozens of uses of the service have only had one issue, fading on a pair of dark socks.

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Sounds like your clothing can survive hot water/dryers.  We can request anything we want but it will be washed in hot water and dried with high heat.  I had heard some have had luck requesting their shirts come back on hangers, I've never had luck with that despite talking to the stateroom attendant and writing it on the form

I believe my laundry was done as requested.  I wash most clothes in cold water at home and my clothes came back on hangars and perfect.  It was only time I ever did laundry as I don’t really trust them but we were on a longer cruise and I needed a few things done.  I am sure it all depends on who is operating the machines.

• Like 1

Handle with care, this side up, fragile, delicate, glassware and etc.   all any of that means is toss it and handle like anything else.   

Remember the scene in Farris Bueller.with the Valet? 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

Only send what you are prepared to have ruined. I always write cold wash--and for some items, hang dry. Everything still often comes back faded and sometimes shrunk.

I did once get a dress back still damp, yay! But I planned to wear it to dinner, so a quick pass with the blow dryer fixed that. They once IRONED DH's swim trunks! Nice crease down the legs... On Oceania, they tore DH's favorite dress shirt when he sent to have it pressed.. Guess something got snagged or stuck on a buttonhole. Fully reimbursed, but he wasn't happy.

All my delicates get soaked in the sink with some of their shipboard shampoo--I no longer bring any laundry soap. Shampoo is *made* to remove oils, etc. so makes an excellent detergent. Rinse and hang on the shower line, swimsuits on hangers* on the backs of the veranda chairs. Or as noted above, use the blowdryer.

*These are da bomb, in case your stateroom attendant doesn't provide enough: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PJMQ7DB/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_plhdr=t&aaxitk=69ef60376a4ade72ba2aa7821c596b8e&hsa_cr_id=3373978720401&qid=1726423523&sr=1-3-9e67e56a-6f64-441f-a281-df67fc737124&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi4d_asin_2_img&pd_rd_w=EJwRR&content-id=amzn1.sym.8591358d-1345-4efd-9d50-5bd4e69cd942%3Aamzn1.sym.8591358d-1345-4efd-9d50-5bd4e69cd942&pf_rd_p=8591358d-1345-4efd-9d50-5bd4e69cd942&pf_rd_r=RJH44T6BYFCPVADSC2Z9&pd_rd_wg=W0VoK&pd_rd_r=4fcff504-4d7c-4674-a5d6-0eefd2d0d76b&th=1