WHAT the HECK Happened to this site???

flamomo

It looks and feels nothing like it did yesterday, and at this point I am not liking it.

It's SLOW!!! and feels much more cumbersome to navigate.

If what I'm dealing with this morning is how it's gonna stay, I may significantly decrease my use of it, despite the fact that for years I have been on it daily and garnered a ton of information and education from it.

I presume this is someone's idea of updating and "improving", but it sure doesn't feel like something positive.. There was nothing wrong with how it functioned and looked yesterday.

Sorry, CC geeks, but this it too drastic a change.

It's taking some getting used to but so far I like the new format. I hope they finish with it soon because I'm not seeing any of the post legends or quick links (such as "go to first unread post", which I can still click on, I just can't see it). I also can't find the User CP.

There is an Announcement.

LauraS

Sr. Manager, CommunityCruise Critic

17,545 Posts Joined Jan 2000

Posted January 9th, 2017, 12:00 AM

Hello Everyone!

While our forums have been a great resource for years, we knew our format was a little outdated. We want to make our community as friendly and as easy as possible for you to use, so we redesigned our forums with a fresh, new user interface. But rest assured, you'll find the same, easy navigation. Here are some of the key questions you might be asking:

Do I have to do anything different?

• No. Just login with you existing user name and password. All your info is the same; the login is located in almost the same location.

What’s new?

• An updated look and feel to the forums!

• Expandable signatures! We think you’ll like this one! Tip: You may want to tweak your signature so what is important to you shows (you’ll have about 10 lines visible at all times). Want to see more of someone’s siggy? Just click Expand!

• Uncluttered nav bar

What’s REALLY Different?

• The look and feel

• Posting Legend & Display Options now appear on the right side

• Quick Links and your User Controls are now located in a dropdown near the upper right corner, next to your User Name (once you are logged in)

• Mobile responsive -- the forums will look great on your tablets and smartphones!

When Will The Launch Happen?

• We'll slowly be rolling out the new platform over the next two weeks.

It seems that, at the moment, we are only seeing the new format on some devices. My Kindle shows the new format while my desktop shows the old format. One CC "Host" indicated that it is being rolled out slowly so we need to be patient.

It will likely take time to get used to (like all things) but I like the basic concept of it.

What’s REALLY Different?

• The look and feel

• Posting Legend & Display Options now appear on the right side

• Quick Links and your User Controls are now located in a dropdown near the upper right corner, next to your User Name (once you are logged in)

Mobile responsive -- the forums will look great on your tablets and smartphones!

So, in order to make it "look great" on tablets and smartphones, they make it look worse on desktops and laptops? Where is the logic in that? Unlike some, I am not addicted to my tablet or smartphone for everything. I prefer the large viewing screen and the ease of use of a desktop. To do something that helps one group while making it worse for another group is bad business sense. How long will it be before they stop supporting two different formats because it is too much trouble to do so? :mad:

Edited by SantaFeFan

I have it on my laptop, but not at my public library. I like the old way better.

One thing I find terribly wrong with the new format is that there is nowhere that it lets you know when you visited last, a terrible omission.

You CAN change it back here= http://boards.cruisecritic.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

Towards the bottom of the page ( forum skin )

I have now changed it back. I'd left it the new way for several hours of usage yesterday and today to see if I'd get used to it. But besides being hard to figure out which threads I'd read, there was too much scrolling down past announcements etc to find threads to read. I much prefer this old method.

I have now changed it back. I'd left it the new way for several hours of usage yesterday and today to see if I'd get used to it. But besides being hard to figure out which threads I'd read, there was too much scrolling down past announcements etc to find threads to read. I much prefer this old method.

I suspect that having the ability to change back is temporary so it is a good idea for all of us to get used to it. Change is always difficult but, in the end, it usually is for the best.

After I saw the new format -- I didn't like it.

I have eye problems and everything seemed to be in a lighter color and all close together.

So as soon as I heard that we could go back to the old format, I changed right away. I have only changed one computer for now. Will get to the other ones either tonight or tomorrow.

I suspect that having the ability to change back is temporary so it is a good idea for all of us to get used to it. Change is always difficult but, in the end, it usually is for the best.

What alternative reality do you live in? :D

After almost 70 years on this planet, I can assure you that change is often NOT for the best. :(

Edited by sloopsailor

What alternative reality do you live in? :D

After almost 70 years on this planet, I can assure you that change is often NOT for the best. :(

I completely get your point. However, it seems that the older we get the more difficult change is (especially in terms of technology). If I could change anything right now, it would be to take cell phones out of the hands of people that stare at them - ignoring everything and everybody. However, this is likely not going to happen:)

I'm again seeing the old format. I didn't change it, it changed itself. In fact, I was in the middle of reading a thread and when I went back to the main page, it was the old format.

I agree it was harder to read.

Seems I'm not the only dinosaur on Cruise Critic.;)

Yep, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Now I gotta start learnin' all over again

But Cruise Critic will have to go a very very long way to surpass the Windows 8 grief (I down-graded a spanking-new computer to W7), or the ludicrous Googlemaps' re-vamp. :rolleyes:

(that's an observation, Laura, not a challenge) :D

As we say in the UK, don't let the b*****s grind you down - mebbe we'll come to like it.

Eventually ;).

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

There's no structural reason why switching ability has to be temporary. It's not uncommon at all for forums to offer a choice of skins. If enough of us prefer the old skin, it's no skin off their noses to leave it in place.

So, in order to make it "look great" on tablets and smartphones, they make it look worse on desktops and laptops? Where is the logic in that? Unlike some, I am not addicted to my tablet or smartphone for everything. I prefer the large viewing screen and the ease of use of a desktop. To do something that helps one group while making it worse for another group is bad business sense. How long will it be before they stop supporting two different formats because it is too much trouble to do so? :mad:

Someone posted this on the Celebrity thread and it worked for me. To change it back go into your user control panel, then click edit options, at the very bottom of the list under forum skin choose default style and you will go back to the original format/style.

There's no structural reason why switching ability has to be temporary. It's not uncommon at all for forums to offer a choice of skins. If enough of us prefer the old skin, it's no skin off their noses to leave it in place.

With apologies for displaying my crass technocological ignorance........

is the "old" style "Default" or "Bug human 1.0" ?

Don't wanna experiment with the button in case I can't get back. :rolleyes:

JB :o