What Would You Tip Room Stewards?

gpa385

What would you leave as an additional tip to a Room Steward who has done an excellent  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What would you leave as an additional tip to a Room Steward who has done an excellent

• Nothing – let the auto tip take care of it
    • $1 to $25
    • $26 to $50
    • $51 to $75
    • $76 to $100
    • $101 and up

What would you leave as an additional tip to a Room Steward who has done an excellent job during a 7 day cruise with 4 people in a standard room (2 adults, 2 kids), on top of the auto tip? This person was prompt, efficient, and very personable (learned your names, etc).

Use the poll above as your answer.

I can't use any of your choices, because it would vary by the length of the cruise. On my recent B2B2B, , I spent the last 9 days in the same cabin, and gave $20 above the auto-tip. On a 10 day cruise, we each gave the steward $20 extra. EM

What would you leave as an additional tip to a Room Steward who has done an excellent job during a 7 day cruise with 4 people in a standard room (2 adults, 2 kids), on top of the auto tip? This person was prompt, efficient, and very personable (learned your names, etc).

Use the poll above as your answer.

Soon as I see my steward, I introduce myself. I hand him/her $10. I bring a collapsible cooler that could hold about 8 beers. I ask the steward to fill it with ice and please do so every day.

On day 2, under the empty cooler I put an envelope with their name on it with $5 in it. If they fill it every day, they get an extra $5 every day.

I also tip for any other special requests.

Soon as I see my steward, I introduce myself. I hand him/her $10. I bring a collapsible cooler that could hold about 8 beers. I ask the steward to fill it with ice and please do so every day.

On day 2, under the empty cooler I put an envelope with their name on it with $5 in it. If they fill it every day, they get an extra $5 every day.

I also tip for any other special requests.

That is a GREAT idea!

I gave our room steward a very nice gift of money on Christmas morning (we boarded the night before). This was the first time we EVER gave a tip (gift) right away. And it will be the last. We had the worst service ever - in a suite. He just seemed different after that.

I remember on our prior cruise when I was standing in the hall talking to our steward. A man in one of the balcony cabins stopped and said "I'd like ice and a couple glasses in our room every evening" and handed him money. The man walked away and the steward had a odd look on his face and just shook his head.

We usually leave between 20 and 50 dollars depending on how good the service was and if the steward did anything above and beyond the normal. If we have a lot of requests then we tip more. If the service is not all that great then they get nothing.

I disagree with those above that feel the need to "pre-tip" your cabin steward and expect better service than they are going to be providing..And feel it's a bit of an insult to them and their work ethic !!

I disagree with those above that feel the need to "pre-tip" your cabin steward and expect better service than they are going to be providing..And feel it's a bit of an insult to them and their work ethic !!

I kind of agree - I've never felt the need to pre-tip. I expect them to do their job, and if they do an awesome one, I will definitely tip them additional.

To me, pre-tipping sounds kind of like "clicker training" a dog. "Here's a treat, now do it again!" These people have their jobs for a reason - they are capable of doing their work without rewards. Should they be compensated for additional effort? Absolutely! But trying to bribe them to do a better job? Just not my style.

To each his own.

I gave our room steward a very nice gift of money on Christmas morning (we boarded the night before). This was the first time we EVER gave a tip (gift) right away. And it will be the last. We had the worst service ever - in a suite. He just seemed different after that.

And I would also have been different.

Auto tips would have been removed.

And I would have had a nice talk with the "hotel manager".

For the two of us we generally give an extra tip... But we don't really care if the steward(s) know our name or otherwise are "personable". What matters to us is that our cabin is cleaned, anything we might need (like extra pillows, towels, blanket, other cabin necessities) are provided when we ask for them, and they honor "do not disturb" signs -- we have disabilities, sometimes nap at odd hours.

We don't share personal history with the crew, don't expect them to share with us. Outside of pleasantries, we go about our business and expect them to go about theirs.

Archived