Why Bother?

dicnic

It irks me to continually read ads from the cruise companies that tout "50% Off Deposit" or "Reduced Deposit if you Book by "Date". Who are they trying to fool? You do not save anything by falling for their ad, as the entire deposit must be paid at the end anyway. So what if you only pay half as much for a few months, then make the final payment as usual? It is not as though your unspent money is going to earn big bucks nowadays.

Or have I missed the whole point? :confused:

It irks me to continually read ads from the cruise companies that tout "50% Off Deposit" or "Reduced Deposit if you Book by "Date". Who are they trying to fool? You do not save anything by falling for their ad, as the entire deposit must be paid at the end anyway. So what if you only pay half as much for a few months, then make the final payment as usual? It is not as though your unspent money is going to earn big bucks nowadays.

Like you the amount of deposit doesn't matter to me, but I have seen a number of posts from people who did care.

What irks us in the UK is that if you cancel the cruise before final payment you don't get your deposit back :mad::mad::mad:

I think the idea is to lure those who don't have the money and think they'll be able to save it or otherwise rustle is up in time. For those that already have the money, it means nothing since (as you said) it's not as if that extra money is going to earn any interest in the interim.

I'm one of those people. It makes a difference to me!

In a few weeks, I will embark on my first cruise in three years. I used to cruise annually. However, the company I worked for was sold to overseas interests. I was laid off. After a full YEAR of unemployment, I accepted a position at a salary that represented a SIGNIFICANT income reduction. I was one of many victims of a horrible economy. I paid all my bills on time, but there were many times I wondered how!

I booked my upcoming cruise using an old NextCruise certificate, which allows for a reduced deposit. Booking nearly 2 years in advance allowed me to pay off the cruise incrementally.

Yes, I could have SAVED the money until I could afford to pay the larger deposit, but it probably would have delayed my cruise another year. Booking so far in advance worked in my favor, as the price ended up sky rocketing.

In addition, having a cruise booked is ENORMOUS motivation. If you're merely saving for a vacation, it's easy to keep pushing back the date when you decide you want to spend the money elsewhere. It's a lot more difficult to CANCEL a vacation. It's more REAL. At least for me, I'm more likely to make the sacrifices it takes to make it work.

We usually book cruises 1 1/2 years in advance.

We book "certificates" and then decide what cruise we want to take once we get home.

We get a cheaper deposit. We get shipboard credit.

AND we collect a few pennies by keeping the extra deposit money in our savings -- hey 1 1/2 years in interest pays for a couple of drinks.

But those adds do "catch your eye". Exactly what they want to do. ;)

If the ad 'caught your eye', they accomplished a large step in getting a booking from people who hadn't thought of booking.

Picture this:

Her: 'Hey, George. I saw this ad for "X" cruise line and we only would have to put down a small deposit. "

George: "You want to go on a cruise? :confused:"

Her: "Yes, I've wanted to for years."

George: "Well, okay then, look into it."

George had no clue his lady wanted to cruise and has now agreed it might be something they will do.

Good ad investment.

=calliopecruiser;41437503]I think the idea is to lure those who don't have the money and think they'll be able to save it or otherwise rustle is up in time. For those that already have the money, it means nothing since (as you said) it's not as if that extra money is going to earn any interest in the interim.

Great point.

It might make it possible for folks with borderline funds to be able to book their cruise and save the balance over time.

No you don't save any money on the full cost of the cruise - nor do the ads suggest that. It is not a discount on the fare, only on the deposit.

The simple value is giving less of your money up front on a long term deposit in the cruise line's account and keeping it in yours.

Often a cruise sponsored OBC is also part of the offer - and that is on board money in your pocket to you. You could consider that as a discount to the full amount that you would spend for the cruise.

Maybe to you that isn't important or of value - to others it is.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

This would have definitely helped me while booking our October cruise. We agreed with family on which cruise we wanted to take but I had just used most of my spending money on other cruise expenses so I had to wait until the next pay day. Unfortunately by then the corner aft I was coveting was gone. :eek:

I am not sure what the message of the OP might be. The cruise lines advertise lower deposits (the key word here is "deposit") and that is just what you get....a lower deposit. Words have meaning and it is what it is! Some folks, who book cruises far in advance, seem to appreciate that they do not have to shell out as much money far in advance. But come final payment time...and you ultimately must pay the full cost. But nobody ever said you would not pay the full cost.

As to the OPs point of view, the answer is quite simple. Just pay the full price of the cruise when you book and then you will not have to fret over the meaning of the words.

Hank

Remember everyone has a different financial, budgeting and job situations.

For us, because of our jobs, we earn significantly different amounts of money depending on the time of year.

50% deposits are very welcome as they allow us to pay less up front, and then more when we are able. We've used this option a few times. However depending on when we decide upon a cruise, sometimes we just pay the whole thing all at once. It just depends on what the checkbook is saying at that given moment.

Edited by Lerin

I always book reduced deposit offers. We always use a future cruise certificate, which is a $100 p/p deposit on a 7 day cruise instead of $250.

It's a lot easier to have multiple cruises booked, which we always do, when you're paying $200 total deposit instead of $500. Besides that, the OBC is always nice.

Why give the cruise line 50% of the deposit when you don't have to. Then they use your money. I'd rather use MY money until I have to give it to them!

So you can pay a 50% deposit or you can wait and pay a 100% deposit, either way you are giving them you money to use (and at least with a reduced deposit you are giving them less:)).

Another possible advantage of a reduced deposit is if you have a change of plans after the cancel date, you will lose less money.

(Yes, I realize insurance could cover.)

After the final payment date you would have had to have paid the cruise in full, so no advantage there.

In my opinion this 50% deposit might mean whether or not someone can go on a cruise. And usually that 50% promotion also comes with an OBC.

It's just a marketing phrase to catch peoples' eyes and prompt some to buy. Just like;

New and Improved

Limited time offer

Results overnight

Rock bottom prices

Etc etc.

Up where I live we have a men's wear chain that advertises 50% off sales every two or three weeks. I have a sneaky suspicion that the 50% off price for those guys IS the full retail price at other stores.;)

But those adds do "catch your eye". Exactly what they want to do. ;)

Yep. I remember an add for NCL. It was for a free upgrade...book an oceanview, get a balcony. When I called, it turned out I had to book the most expensive, family oceanview which just so happened to be the same exact cost as the lowest priced balcony...and they assigned the balcony. I asked the lady if people actually fell for that. She told me I would be surprised.

So yes, it "caught my eye." I just didn't fall for it.

It's just a marketing phrase to catch peoples' eyes and prompt some to buy. Just like;

New and Improved

Limited time offer

Results overnight

Rock bottom prices

Etc etc.

Up where I live we have a men's wear chain that advertises 50% off sales every two or three weeks. I have a sneaky suspicion that the 50% off price for those guys IS the full retail price at other stores.;)

But the key point - again - with this is nobody is advertising a sale off the full booking price - only a reduction in the amount of deposit needed at that time to secure it. A point which the OP seams to fail to recognize.

As a marketing phrase, it may indeed catch peoples eyes - and prompt them to make a decision now. But only if they were in the market to purchase a cruise in the first place. A reduced deposit amount might be a legitimate and reasonable incentive to do so.

Edited by leaveitallbehind