To Passport or Not to Passport?

We have a cruise booked in January 2015 with some friends. One of our friends does not have a passport, will he need it? Oh, by the way he is a legal resident of the US and has a permanent green card, not sure if that matters.

The cruise is a RCC to Puerto Rico and the private beach RCC owns on the Quantum

From the US CBP website

"U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR's) who travel directly between parts of the United States, which includes Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), without touching at a foreign port or place, are not required to present a valid U.S. Passport or U.S. Green Card. However, it is recommended that travelers bring a government issued photo ID and copy of birth certificate.

Lawful Permanent Residents of the U.S. must present a Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card", INS Form I-551), a Reentry Permit (if gone for more than 1 year), or a Returning Resident Visa (if gone for 2 years or more) to reenter the United States. U.S. LPRs do not need a passport to enter the United States as per (8 CFR 211.1(a)), however, they may need a passport to enter another country."

Edited by Philob

None of the Caribbean countries require passports from cruise passengers. Call the cruiseline about this particular situation.

While they commonly do not require passports from US citizens on a cruise, the person in question is not a US citizen, and any foreign country they visit may very well require a passport from the country of which they are a citizen.

If a medical or other situation should arise such that someone needs to fly into another country (i.e. back into the US), a passport is necessary. I would therefore consider a passport necessary.

While they commonly do not require passports from US citizens on a cruise, the person in question is not a US citizen, and any foreign country they visit may very well require a passport from the country of which they are a citizen.

This, and to add, depending on what country they are actually a citizen if and what countries the ship is visiting, they could also need a visa.

We have a cruise booked in January 2015 with some friends. One of our friends does not have a passport, will he need it? Oh, by the way he is a legal resident of the US and has a permanent green card, not sure if that matters.

The cruise is a RCC to Puerto Rico and the private beach RCC owns on the Quantum

Peety you have a good point. The issue is my friend actually lost his green card and it takes a ton of time to get it... just figured I'd reach out on here and see what you guys thought. Thanks for the advice!

So he does have a green card? Or he doesn't have a green card?

Either way, I also say "get a passport".

Something isn't right here. A person can't get a green card without having a passport from their country of nationality. A green card holder can't leave the country without the green card--technically they are supposed to have it on themselves at all times.

In order for him to leave and return to the United States, he most likely needs both the green card AND his passport. If his passport is expired, he must call the embassy for his country of nationality and find out how to renew it. This could require making an in-person visit to the embassy.

This isn't a cut and dry situation, and he needs to get moving NOW to get it all straightened out, or he won't be cruising.

Edited by ducklite

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Tell your friend to get a passport. He has plenty of time to get one.

Agree.........better safe than sorry and get a passport..........my wife is a born and raised US Citizen.........and on our Alaska cruise, be it thru Vancouver, BC, was pulled aside and detained twice......US/Canada......and we were never told why, even upon showing passport which they scan! Wow, what an experience!

So a friend with a green card only will surely be questioned/detained, etc.......and probably even with a passport.

• 4 months later...

I don't know if anyone new will read this thread but PLEASE invest in a passport. My friend just had an accident on St Maarten and broke her hip. She was not allowed back on the ship and had to be flown home by medical transport. Unfortunately, her and her daughter were both traveling without a passport. It took 2 1/2 days of drama to get permission to fly home and luckily one of the tour companies walked them through everything including getting them a hotel to stay in and transporting them back and forth to the hospital etc. It was definitely not worth saving $100 for the trouble. Also, getting the insurance has a whole new meaning, since the injured person had to pay a whopping $33,800 for the airlift! We are praying she can get her insurance company to help but it is doubtful!!!

I don't know if anyone new will read this thread but PLEASE invest in a passport. My friend just had an accident on St Maarten and broke her hip. She was not allowed back on the ship and had to be flown home by medical transport. Unfortunately, her and her daughter were both traveling without a passport. It took 2 1/2 days of drama to get permission to fly home and luckily one of the tour companies walked them through everything including getting them a hotel to stay in and transporting them back and forth to the hospital etc. It was definitely not worth saving $100 for the trouble. Also, getting the insurance has a whole new meaning, since the injured person had to pay a whopping $33,800 for the airlift! We are praying she can get her insurance company to help but it is doubtful!!!

Lessons learned - the hard way!

Lesson #1 - get a passport

Lesson #2 - get lots of travel medical insurance!!

You mean he doesn't have a US Passport? If he has a green card, he must also have a passport from his country of origin. He needs to take BOTH his green card and his passport from his country of origin on the cruise.

If he is not a U.S. citizen (I am assuming he is on a work permit or landed immigrant) he should take his papers and country of origin passport with him. And as soon as he is able - again assuming he needs to satisfy a period of residency - he get his citizenship and a U.S. passport.

From the US CBP website

"U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR's) who travel directly between parts of the United States, which includes Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), without touching at a foreign port or place, are not required to present a valid U.S. Passport or U.S. Green Card. However, it is recommended that travelers bring a government issued photo ID and copy of birth certificate.

Lawful Permanent Residents of the U.S. must present a Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card", INS Form I-551), a Reentry Permit (if gone for more than 1 year), or a Returning Resident Visa (if gone for 2 years or more) to reenter the United States. U.S. LPRs do not need a passport to enter the United States as per (8 CFR 211.1(a)), however, they may need a passport to enter another country."

Over and over again on CC some folks point to government regulations without also considering the requirements of the cruise line. For the umpteenth thousand time: some cruise lines require passports for all passengers on all itineraries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Over and over again on CC some folks point to government regulations without also considering the requirements of the cruise line. For the umpteenth thousand time: some cruise lines require passports for all passengers on all itineraries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some people only know about the government regulations so of course that is what they are going to reference.