Carnival just increased Auto-Gratuity rate. How long until Princess follows suit?

Hoosier-Cruiser

Carnival just raised the auto-gratuities from $11.50 per day to $12. I've not watched to see how fast things like this flow down from one line to another under the corporate umbrella. When do you think Princess will follow suit?

And they just banned smoking on balconies... I think only HAL still allows smoking on balconies (among Carnival Corp. brands).

$.50 isn't much. I'd be okay with that if Princess decides to follow suit...

$.50 isn't much. I'd be okay with that if Princess decides to follow suit...

I'm not worried about the $0.50, I am just curious how fast policies are generally rolled out cross-brand. I figured smoking on Carnival would take a while, but this one seems like it wouldn't cause as much of an issue to Princess cruisers.

Carnival just raised the auto-gratuities from $11.50 per day to $12. I've not watched to see how fast things like this flow down from one line to another under the corporate umbrella. When do you think Princess will follow suit?

Probably not long but we are only talking about $7 per couple for a seven day cruise.

Edited by KirkNC

I'm not aware of a standard rate for the various Carnival Corporation cruise lines to follow suit. Princess banned balcony smoking about 2 years before Carnival & HAL still does not ban it. Thus I do not think there is a definitive answer to your question & only speculation.

I'm not aware of a standard rate for the various Carnival Corporation cruise lines to follow suit. Princess banned balcony smoking about 2 years before Carnival & HAL still does not ban it. Thus I do not think there is a definitive answer to your question & only speculation.
There isn't a standard rate for all of the Carnival Corporation brands as they are managed and operated separately. Yes, the slight increase will be watched and evaluated by Princess but if there's an increase, it'll be because it makes sense for Princess, not because Carnival Cruise Lines increased their auto-tip. As Frank points out, the lack of a standard smoking policy among Carnival Corporation brands is a good example.

The OP isn't questioning the 50 cent increase but asking opinions about implementation on Princess.

I'm not worried about the $0.50, I am just curious how fast policies are generally rolled out cross-brand. I figured smoking on Carnival would take a while, but this one seems like it wouldn't cause as much of an issue to Princess cruisers.
Edited by Astro Flyer

When I started working on cruise ships in 1974, tipping was still done via envelopes. But when we added up that money from the envelopes, the total was averaging US$20 per passenger per day.

That was 40 years ago, when $20 was actually worth something.

Today my tipped employees have exactly the same monthly salary I received 40 years ago - without any adjustments for inflation or cost of living. But at the same time, the tips they receive are just a bit over half of what I received 40 years ago - again with no adjustments for inflation or cost of living.

Can you think of any other industry that could treat their employees like that - just to make the cost of the product more affordable - and get away with it?

When I started working on cruise ships in 1974, tipping was still done via envelopes. But when we added up that money from the envelopes, the total was averaging US$20 per passenger per day.

Today my tipped employees have exactly the same monthly salary I received 40 years ago - without any adjustments for inflation or cost of living. But at the same time, the tips they receive are just a bit over half of what I received 40 years ago - again with no adjustments for inflation or cost of living.

Before Princess had the auto-tip, they had suggested amounts for tipping. When the auto-tip started, it started at the sum per person of those suggested tips. In 2001 I think it totaled $7/day/person to cover the cabin steward and the dining room staff. In 2002 it was $10/day/person.

The average of $20/day/person you indicate is twice the suggested 2002 amount. Was the average passenger really tipping that much above the suggested guidelines?

Edited by caribill

Of course you can, if you wish, increase the amount of your auto-tip without waiting for Princess to do it.

Can you think of any other industry that could treat their employees like that - just to make the cost of the product more affordable - and get away with it?

i have always found the auto tip WAY to low. For the amount of work they have to do, it is insane for only $12 in tips. If i was to eat a a restaurant 3 times a day, I would have at least tipped $15, stayed at a hotel, $5 for the house keeper twice per day, other general tips (bellman, valet, etc) would probably be another $5-10... the $12 on Princess I think is far too low. Reminds me of the 10% tippers at restaurants.

For every cruise we have been on, we have tipped our steward up front $10-$15 per day, and have always had the best service. The CLEANEST room, tons of extra pillows and towels, and our room is always cleaned first in the morning and at night.

I was at the pursers desk one night and witnessed people demanding their auto tip be credited back to their account. I couldnt believe how cheap people could be. If if you have bad service at a restaurant you still need to tip.

The auto tip increase will probably have it's Princess roll out soon. I'm probably in the minority, but I think the auto tip rates should be higher. 99% of the crew wore their collective you know what off and deserve better. With this in mind, I always add more at the end of the cruise.....:):):)

Bob

The auto tip increase will probably have it's Princess roll out soon. I'm probably in the minority, but I think the auto tip rates should be higher. 99% of the crew wore their collective you know what off and deserve better. With this in mind, I always add more at the end of the cruise.....:):):)

Bob

I agree Bob! :)

The $.50/day/person increase would be fine. Knowing what they pay their staff and that they factor in the tip as part of it, I have no problem with it. Personally I would just as soon have them include it in the price and be done with it. I like the way the Europeans handle the tipping issue by paying their workers a decent wage not dependent on tips.

I hope Princess does not raise the daily gratuity, I think it's high enough. It's up to Princess to pay their staff and we as passengers to tip for services not pay their wages.

Edited by cruzsnooze

The news article on cruisecritic reads Carnival Cruise LINES, not Carnival Cruise LINE, to raise the auto tip from $11.50 to $12. I read that as it will increase on all of the divisions owned by Carnival.

The news article on cruisecritic reads Carnival Cruise LINES, not Carnival Cruise LINE, to raise the auto tip from $11.50 to $12. I read that as it will increase on all of the divisions owned by Carnival.
Carnival Cruise Lines is the name of one cruise line. If by "divisions owned by Carnival" you mean Princess, HAL, Costa, P&O, Seabourn, etc., then it doesn't make any sense to say that they're all increasing from $11.50 to $12, because not all of them are at $11.50 currently. Seabourn and P&O Australia don't add any daily tips (for different reasons…); they are not going to increase to $12/day because they're owned by Carnival Corp!