Self Disembarkation - Why doesn't everyone do it?

FredZiffle

Self disembarkation on X means you are the first to leave the ship i.e. around 7am carrying your own luggage. It's not a leisurely wait until you're ready to leave and then trot off with your suitcases :confused:. Hence that's why people are referring to the long, snake lines around the ship waiting for the gangplank to be opened. I think you may be getting a little confused with other lines ;).

So, do you HAVE to get off early if you have self-disembarkation?

If so, that really IS different from some other lines I've sailed with....

Hi Lois, I agree, standing in line with a bunch of other people all pulling their luggage behind them does not sound like a nice way to disembark the ship. I don't think I have ever disembarked as a walk-off on any of my cruises that I can remember. I usually book a late enough flight that I can disembark at my leisure and not have to worry about getting to the airport in time.

I know you have one more trip this year before your river cruise next April. Where are you going on this one? I did book an 11 day southern Caribbean that leaves on November 16th. I've been to all the ports before but you know that any day cruising is always better than a day at work. I am sailing with HAL for this trip. Lots of sea days so I really enjoy their great libraries. Neil

Hi Neil, I am going 2 days before you out of San Juan on SUMMIT...:)

And will not be doing self-disembarkation that one either;)

So, do you HAVE to get off early if you have self-disembarkation?

If so, that really IS different from some other lines I've sailed with....

No, you don't have to get off early, but that is the point in doing so.

The other point is that some just don't want to let their luggage outta their sight. You can do self-disembarkation and be the last one off, but you would have to drag your luggage around the whole time, so what is the point.

Clear as mudd!:D

EW

Using the luggage valet service when available for your checked luggage is wonderful! No need to pick up luggage at the pier or check at the airline. You won't see your luggage until your final destination. Well worth the nominal fees for time and backs saved.

We love luggage valet...but not always offered if one has early flights...next best option is carry off.....

just flew to a weekend wedding in Miami...did it all with carryons, including dh's tux, shoes etc...w

We get better at packing all the time and still look great and wear clean clothing! I have seriously pared down all those matching shoes and handbags, etc.

There's lots of us smart enough to do have that living arrangement! :-)

We're in Nassau, but I'm in West Hills several days a week at dog park.

Do you know Cassariano's restaurant in Venice? They just opened a place on Jericho Tpk in Mineola. Good

Good to know...I am from Mineola originally so we will be checking that out!

Admittedly, we've never sailed on X before, but unless they're different from all the other cruise lines, they don't have a separate line for self-disembarkation. Everyone gets in the same line to exit the ship. We've always been able to disembark at any point after our scheduled time. So, just because we're doing self-disembarkation doesn't mean that we're waiting in a longer line than anybody else. We're usually in no rush, so we'll hang around until one of the last groups are called. So, we're exiting at the same time you are, but while you're retrieving your luggage in the port, we're already in the customs line.

I am glad that everyone doesn't self-disembark because there would invariably be people who would struggle with too much luggage and slow everyone down. And, other posters are correct that the elevators are sometimes a challenge, but, since we're in no rush, we either wait for space, or ride it up and then back down as some have suggested.

Nope....as mentioned by others, it's a sep line and procedure......all others wait in their assigned areas with coded tags. Any disabled pax doing self disembark on Connie were allowed to wait aside...but not sure when they were sent off...the main line went first as soon as ship was cleared...and then right to customs lines....

No, you don't have to get off early, but that is the point in doing so.

The other point is that some just don't want to let their luggage outta their sight. You can do self-disembarkation and be the last one off, but you would have to drag your luggage around the whole time, so what is the point.

Clear as mudd!:D

EW

Nope....as mentioned by others, it's a sep line and procedure......all others wait in their assigned areas with coded tags. Any disabled pax doing self disembark on Connie were allowed to wait aside...but not sure when they were sent off...the main line went first as soon as ship was cleared...and then right to customs lines....

With differing opinions throughout this thread, I thought I'd call Celebrity to see what answer is correct. According to the rep, you are free to self-disembark at any point. Either sign up to disembark with a late group, or just let Guest Relations know ahead of time what you want to do.

Hi Neil, I am going 2 days before you out of San Juan on SUMMIT...:)

And will not be doing self-disembarkation that one either;)

Lois, I looked at the Summit itinerary and we have quite a few of the same ports, but you will get to them about 4 or 5 days before I will. I won't be self disembarking on this trip either. I have a 4:00 pm return flight and you know how close the FLL port is from the FLL airport so I should be able to take my time and wait until they kick me off. Hope you have a great trip. Neil

Why should I drag cases of when I can just pick them up off the ship when I am ready to leave?

Never book difficult early flights, go for late ones or tag an extra day on and enjoy....

Exactly!

We have 8-10-12 of us staying over at the Hilton Bahia Mar in Ft Lauderdale this Nov, and cant ck in till after noon. So we will be probably be the cause of the next sailing boarding late!:eek::D

We have done the self disembarkation for years and we have no problem. As for lugging the cases to the buffet, there is no need. Breakfast starts at 6AM, I think, and we go early to eat, making sure we are back before 8 or so. Then we take our luggage and join the line, if there is one. With spinners, moving the cases is easy.

people have their own favorite way to do this and many are different. This is good. As for smiles, why would we smile? After all, our cruise is over and cruise withdrawal is just beginning:D!

With differing opinions throughout this thread, I thought I'd call Celebrity to see what answer is correct. According to the rep, you are free to self-disembark at any point. Either sign up to disembark with a late group, or just let Guest Relations know ahead of time what you want to do.

I don't think there's a difference of opinion in this thread. You can leave the ship at any time if you're carrying your own luggage off. Otherwise, you leave the ship at a preappointed time based on class of service, status, and/or departure flight times.

If you want to be the first one off the boat, you join the line of people who are waiting for the gangplank to open. A line forms if a lot of people want to do that.

If you want to do something that is not covered in either of those scenarios, talk to Guest Relations and they'll figure it out for you.

This works...mostly...but I can from experience, tell you it's not that pretty when everybody on a cruise catches on and decides to do it!

Out of Galveston on RCCL, (Mariner and then Navigator) there were 2 cruises that were just a trainwreck (LOL) because of this. We headed out at around 7:30 and could barely make it down the elevator and when we did we waited on the outside promenade for an hour and a half wall to wall peeps!!! Most our cruises turn out O.K. leaving early...just pray not many on one of yours thinks like you do!:(

Using the luggage valet service when available for your checked luggage is wonderful! No need to pick up luggage at the pier or check at the airline. You won't see your luggage until your final destination. Well worth the nominal fees for time and backs saved.

I agree that luggage valet can be wonderful if your luggage actually turns up at your final destination, but it can be frustrating and a pain to start trying to track when it doesn't, with all the different transfers involved.

Anyway, as to the original question about why everyone doesn't do self-disembarkation, the simple answer is that the choice just comes down to differences in individual preferences and circumstances, like so many other things that get questioned here.

I don't mind leaving my LOCKED bags in the hall....nothing of value is in there...my vacation is over...a bunch of dirty clothes....not a big deal! If we aren't in a rush, there's no reason to schlepp your stuff through the ship! I don't know why anyone does self-assist if they don't have to!

There's a good reason that they do disembarkation questionnaires. It helps to provide for a smoother disembarkation process for everyone. When hordes of people decide they have to be first it creates a mess for everyone.

It's always fun to watch the overhead bin wars once we board the airplane. It's all part of the need for instant gratification that seems to be an unfortunate part of our culture.

It's always fun to watch the overhead bin wars once we board the airplane. It's all part of the need for instant gratification that seems to be an unfortunate part of our culture.

Hi Ma Bell! :)

Yes, the overhead bin struggle is getting worse. But, in most cases, I don't fault the passengers. I place the blame squarely on the airlines -- who seem determined to cram more and more bodies into a tiny, uncomfortable space. I certainly don't blame folks for not wanting to have their regulation-sized carry-on's "gate-checked", just because they drew the short straw of boarding the plane last. Like you, I can remember when flying was a civilized (and even enjoyable experience). Now, it's something to be dreaded and avoided, whenever possible. :(

And, I definitely agree with you that a planned disembarkation timetable is crucial to getting everyone off the ship, in an orderly manner. I can only imagine the chaos if the cruiselines just let everyone take all their bags and charge out the door! :eek:

Self disembarkation works for us, we only have a suitcase and carry on each so it's easy to maneuver through the ship. We did the allocated time thing once and I hated it, having to sit around for over an hour and then wade though rows of suitcases only to have to argue with a lady that she had grabbed my bag instead of her own, completely different coloured one :rolleyes: But I can see how for others it's more convenient, particularly if they have multiple bags.

This cruise we are on the 6th floor so I'm looking forward to not having to wait for the elevators, I can just go down the stairs :)

Does anyone know the cutoff time for luggage valet in FLL?

We have an 11:48 am flight out and suspect we won't be able to use it.

Yes, the cutoff is 11:30, provided your airline participates. We have used it for Southwest flights even though they were not listed. Check with guest relations.

The form (almost the same) we have always used can be located about 5 posts into this link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1930353

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

I guess because at my age and health, I don't feel like moving those heavy bags through narrow corridors, waiting for empty elevator cars that are going down, etc.

After our first few cruises, we started using self-disembarkation for several reasons:

- No wasting time the night before having to pack. There are still lots of activities going on, and we like to enjoy our last night on board. The ship is dead the next morning, so I don't mind spending the time packing in my cabin.

- No worries that we'll accidentally pack some necessity we'll need the next morning.

- No worries about our suitcases sitting out unprotected in the hall.

- No worries about our suitcases walking off from the pier before we manage to disembark.

- No wasting time trying to locate our suitcases at the pier.

- Freedom to walk off whenever instead of being assigned a disembarkation group time which may be earlier or later than we'd prefer. I realize one can get around this assigned time, but I don't even have to think about it. Just so we're off by the time the cabin steward needs to start on our cabin.

The only negative I can think of is having to roll our own suitcases down the gangplank. To me, that's less of a hassle than rolling it through the airport.

So, what am I missing? Why do the vast majority of cruise passengers go with regular disembarkation?

Yes, the cutoff is 11:30, provided your airline participates. We have used it for Southwest flights even though they were not listed. Check with guest relations.

The form (almost the same) we have always used can be located about 5 posts into this link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1930353

bosco

Excellent!

We will do valet but keep one bag back and do self-disembark. We can do both right?

Excellent!

We will do valet but keep one bag back and do self-disembark. We can do both right?

I'm not sure if it will work "officially"(it might confuse them too much...i would just do valet and let them assign you a slot...and then just walk off whenever you want)...BUT you can walk off the ship anytime you want, at any point during the process...it's not like they check your time slot...