Celebrity Cruises Introduces Upgrade Program for Loyal Cruisers

JustAGirl79

We see it as somewhat of a marketing con! :(. In the past, Celebrity has been pretty generous with upgrades which are generally offered at no additional cost. So now, Celebrity is offering a new "benefit" of giving Captain's Club members a chance to pay more for upgrades which may have been free in the past. It sounds like X is taking a page out of HAL's playbook since HAL has been actively offering "upsells" for years.

Hank

In what fantasy land has Celebrity been generous with upgrades?!?? If you refer to upgrades on GTY bookings I might agree but I don't consider those true upgrades as you are guaranteed a particular level or higher. Other than that the only ones you read about are very very rare and mostly seem to go to first time Celebrity cruisers with very rare exceptions.

My question is, will emails go out to all CC members on that cruise, or will higher levels get the offers first? It would be nice, as the Elite Plus level offered very little of value over Elite IMHO. What would have been much nicer is free upgrades!!! Guess we can give up on that hope.

My other question is, what supposed customers were they listening to?? I don't recall that topic generating much interest here.

I wonder what is going to happen when they offer an upgrade to RS/PS for someone who has Go Best. Will they allow them to drop down to Go Big so as not to pay for perks included in the RS/PS.

As these upgrades happen post final payment, I'd assume those sorts of changes won't be allowed that would reduce revenue.

In the case of my friends, who paid $500 to go to S2, if they had BEST! for a 9 night cruise for 2, they would have paid $720 extra, X is not going to let them pay $500 to get a suite and then refund them $720 thus losing $220 on the deal. I realize this is Sky Suite, not RS but the methodology seems to make sense that they wouldn't refund these things.

Another analogy, I had the all-in 123 on my recent cruise in PH, meaning the Classic Beverage package was useless, as the Suite included Premium Beverage package. I got nothing in exchange for that useless perk on my reservation. However SeaPass cards did show both PALL and CALL packages....LOL

Great idea Celebrity ! It helps if you recognize that the days of free upgrades are going away . ;)

Unless you always book the top suite on the ship (we don't), it sounds as though the email offer still applies to you and me and other suite-purchasers, assuming a higher suite category is open.

Holland America has been doing this kind of up-selling by email offer for years.

This summer we took advantage of a great upsell offer on HAL's Veendam . For about 200 total (the offer was 240 in CDN funds) we moved from an OV guarantee to a handicapped Lanai cabin . These cabins opened up right on to the promenade deck . Thus our balcony was about 5 acres big .:D The offer came by e-mail just 1 hour after another e-mail informed us of our original assigned cabin .

I believe we saved a touch less then 1000 then if we had originally booked this cabin . Besides that, being a handicapped cabin, it was about 50% bigger then their regular cabins .

Not sure why some feel that Celebrity is scamming them . If you don't like the deal offered , don't take it !

It's really following how many Airlines now work.

In my friend's case, his A2 was $3398 plus taxes for 2 when he booked last November and the S2 was selling for $7698 plus taxes for 2 when he got the upgrade offer for $500, so he saved $3800 versus paying for the next category, and kept his all-in 123 perks as well.

And now there are free upgraded opportunities for insides to get verandas, not so much verandas to get suites.

My question was whether we'd get to keep our 1,2,3 perks if we got (and accepted) this upgrade offer so it's good to know that was the case for your friend.

Was he/she able to choose a specific S2 cabin or was it just for a guarantee?

Was he/she able to choose a specific S2 cabin or was it just for a guarantee?

I can not positively answer this, as there was only 1 S2 left at the time. But they got the cabin number assigned immediately.

So this leads me to believe it was not a GTY, also there is only a Suite GTY not a Sky Suite GTY category (his offer was specifically for an S2, even though there were still S1s open), so that also leads me to believe it was not a GTY.

We see it as somewhat of a marketing con! :(. In the past, Celebrity has been pretty generous with upgrades which are generally offered at no additional cost. So now, Celebrity is offering a new "benefit" of giving Captain's Club members a chance to pay more for upgrades which may have been free in the past. It sounds like X is taking a page out of HAL's playbook since HAL has been actively offering "upsells" for years.

Hank

Hi Hank, have we be sailing on the same CELEBRITY? When have they

been pretty generous with upgrades a no additional cost?:eek::confused:

After 12 years with them, I have never received a complimentary

upgrade......so not sure where the generosity is coming from?

What makes this any different than what they do already, except that they will inform Captain's Club members by e-mail? Some people including myself, took advantage of a nominal fee to upgrade to Aqua for our October 18th Summit repo, all perks in place. All anyone need do is be vigilant on the Celebrity website. Having said all this, the price for aquas subsequently went down below what we had already paid for our Concierge cabin. Obviously, we were not offered a refund or OBC. I would imagine the same scenario would take place with this new program.

This sounds similar to their sister line, Azamara. We were just offered an upgrade to a suite from a veranda stateroom for a fixed cost of $398. We accepted and are very happy. In Azamara's case, you have to pre-register that you would like to be considered if there is available inventory. We will receive a larger stateroom and balcony for a small price with other perks included. We only receive the point value of a veranda stateroom and we are okay with that.

The upgrade offer is with 45 DAYS -- not 45 minutes. You are emailed an offer to PAY a fee to upgrade. Plus because the UPGRADE is considered a perk - you only get the Captains's Club points of the cabin class you originally booked. So if you end up in a Sky suite from an Aqua - you get the Aqua points x number of days. They say this new program was due to CC customers feedback -- so looks like free upgrades, as rare as they were - are most likely gone.

When ever Celebrity says you asked for it you know it is a lie. They said the same thing about the Captains Club changes. Nobody said they wanted a difference of so many points between elite plus and zenith. Celebrity does what is best for them and not what they say we want! This new deal is so they won't look like they are discounting at the last minute!:p

When ever Celebrity says you asked for it you know it is a lie. They said the same thing about the Captains Club changes. Nobody said they wanted a difference of so many points between elite plus and zenith. Celebrity does what is best for them and not what they say we want! This new deal is so they won't look like they are discounting at the last minute!:p
You're not wrong but so what . If "the deals" go to booked customers as opposed to last minute deal hunters , is this a bad thing ? And yes , Celebrity does what is best for them . I hope that revelation won't shock anyone . ;) In this case I'm willing to say that it is not a negative thing .

Not such a bad thing. Why not offer a discounted upsell to the people already booked first?

It builds good will with customers and if I don't want the upsell I just say "no thanks".

I think it is better than the open price drops after final.

Edited by Gone Fishing

I have an A1 booked in May and keep fishing for Sky Suite price changes -- which have only been up, up, up. I would really like to try Luminae, but not for the price difference. However, if they called and offered a Sky Suite for $500 total I would jump all over that. [i think this is good marketing -- people who are already in Aquaclass and get a deal like this are much more likely to become future Sky Suite customers than a random person who only books basic balconies. Then the balcony cruiser can get a chance to try Aqua and Blu, maybe seducing them for the future. That's certainly how it has worked for us -- without any upgrade fairies to help -- as we went from Inside to Veranda to Aqua and find it hard to go back!]

I think it's a great idea on Celebrity's part. Rather than spending manpower to cold call people and ask if they'd like to upgrade, they can send out emails that force interested customers to come to them. Plus, knowing that you're not the only one being contacted creates a sense of urgency. However, since I normally book through a TA, I think I'd be at a disadvantage. I'd be waiting to hear from a TA while others would get a direct email and be able to react immediately.

Edited by thebutlerdidit

Not sure why some feel that Celebrity is scamming them . If you don't like the deal offered , don't take it !

I agree....sure hope they give me the opportunity to make this decision. :)

This does sound an awful lot like what Princess is currently doing. Yes, you keep all your benefits but are offered a better room at a pp flat rate. Although I did receive a free upgrade on Princess last year, it was an inside to an obstructed oceanview cabin the day before the cruise. It was a primo obstructed OV cabin, though. In 47 cruises, it was one of two free upgrades I have been offered. The other free upgrade I got was on Celebrity and it was fantastic (although not really considered an upgrade)!!

The problem with free upgrades or even upsells is that it is a common thought when you cruise a lot, they know they have you but if you are new, they want to hook you....especially on the Princess boards. I applaud Celebrity for offering these upsells to CC members rather than first time cruisers. All too often, we would see free upgrades (good upgrades) offered to people that have never cruised before. It seems like Celebrity has gotten the memo that their loyal members may resent this a bit. Wish Princess would also follow suit. I am anxious to receive one of these offers....and if not good, I will be happy and like you say, just say no.

I agree as well..this finally gives early bookers who are CC members an opportunity to upgrade (if the price is right) At least we now have a chance . In the past this elite plus has NEVER been offered an upgrade-paid or otherwise

Edited by dandylion
grammer

Sort of like first class seats on flights... I suppose I should just feel happy for the guy in front of me who was bumped up for free! :D

Tom

Oh, those precious upgrades are earned by sitting in the seat and paid for over many, many flights.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Well said ........... New to CC but not to Celebrity 52 sailings and no upgrades for FREE. Do not think much about this new offer ........

Hi Hank, have we be sailing on the same CELEBRITY? When have they

been pretty generous with upgrades a no additional cost?:eek::confused:

After 12 years with them, I have never received a complimentary

upgrade......so not sure where the generosity is coming from?

Please correct my thinking if I am wrong. Just trying to understand....

Is X saying.....For instance, there are Verandas, C3, C2, C1, Aqua, RS, Suites etc not sold yet and they want/need to fill prior to sailing. So X offers the upgrade to the next category down. i.e. C2 is offered a C1. If accepted, now C2 is open to be offered to C3 for an upgrade to C2.

Assuming my previous example is correct, I am thinking they will start sending emails to everyone that an upgrade is available. You would call and based on your original reservation, they would offer the next category upgrade(s) to you for a fee. Wondering if you could actually move up a few categories if you pay the upgrade fee?

Looking forward to seeing how this all shakes out. I agree....a sticky with the upgrade info would be helpful.

I have an A1 booked in May and keep fishing for Sky Suite price changes -- which have only been up, up, up. I would really like to try Luminae, but not for the price difference. However, if they called and offered a Sky Suite for $500 total I would jump all over that. [i think this is good marketing -- people who are already in Aquaclass and get a deal like this are much more likely to become future Sky Suite customers than a random person who only books basic balconies. Then the balcony cruiser can get a chance to try Aqua and Blu, maybe seducing them for the future. That's certainly how it has worked for us -- without any upgrade fairies to help -- as we went from Inside to Veranda to Aqua and find it hard to go back!]

Please correct my thinking if I am wrong. Just trying to understand....

Is X saying.....For instance, there are Verandas, C3, C2, C1, Aqua, RS, Suites etc not sold yet and they want/need to fill prior to sailing. So X offers the upgrade to the next category down. i.e. C2 is offered a C1. If accepted, now C2 is open to be offered to C3 for an upgrade to C2.

Assuming my previous example is correct, I am thinking they will start sending emails to everyone that an upgrade is available. You would call and based on your original reservation, they would offer the next category upgrade(s) to you for a fee. Wondering if you could actually move up a few categories if you pay the upgrade fee?

Looking forward to seeing how this all shakes out. I agree....a sticky with the upgrade info would be helpful.

Hopefully they will consider the amount you have actually paid for your cabin and not just the upgrade in categories - often one can see Aqua for a lesser rate than, as you say, basic balconies. This is is case on one of our current cruises: A2 less than both concierge and 2A cabins ;).

Dumb question. I assume if I haven't sailed with X yet, I'm not a CC member. So why did I get the email?

Also, do I automatically become a CC member after first cruise, or do I need to sign up separately?

You can sign up to 'Preview' status, then after one sailing you will be credited with your points and be at Classic membership, which gives you some perks, which you can check here:

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/gateway

Edited by upwarduk

I think this is smart program, and as mentioned by others very much what the airlines also do to optimize yield management and in a small way still provide some 'benefit' to loyal customers

Where I see the big difference is for those who use a book the lowest class and wait for fair drops to upgrade, since its more likely that at the higher categories publicly the rate drop won't happen.

Now X will be able to keep their posted prices higher and not have to drop them publicly (thus further maintaining the illusion that generally prices only go up and eliminating the late cheap increase option), while clearing the units via the upgrades.

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using Tapatalk

Royal Carib. has been doing this for a while now. We had an inside booked on the Serenade last year, got an email about "upgrading" to an ocean view for a flat $50. We did not respond, not interested. A few days later we got another email about a balcony guaranty for a flat $100 total. We called and took that offer.

Smart move IMO that should result in increased Celebrity revenue and potentially benefit most of us. I have never been upgraded except from a Conceirge Class GTY to AC once. I suspect there will be less GTY special pricing. Celebrity can now receive more money for "upgrades" and assign GTYs to the lowest category booked. The result being a lower probability of a great "upgrade" with a GTY and a greater chance for an up sell the rest of us. (I have never received an up sell offer from Celebrity which seems not to smart for Celebrity)

From my experience I can see that Celebrity is selling more suites earlier at the standard pricing with the new suite benefits and upgrading/discounting suites less. A big difference from the past that has to be increasing the Average Revenue per passenger.

Bottom line- Potential great move by Celebrity.