Laundry on a Riverboat Cruise

2Canucks

Hi Everyone!

In April I'll be doing my 1st & 2nd riverboat cruises.

Please describe your laundry experience on a Riverboat.

I'm a little anxious about letting anyone else do my laundry. Do not want my clothes to shrink or fade.

Thank You in advance for any info you can share with me.

Pat

If you should be on Uniworld, they have free (and they even provide the detergent) washers and dryers on their ships. That was great last summer since 11 days (out of 15) during our cruise we had temps in the 90s! Past passengers get a load of laundry done for them each week.

Hi Everyone!

I'm a little anxious about letting anyone else do my laundry. Do not want my clothes to shrink or fade.

Pat

Good point, Pat, about the shrinking and fading. At home I wash many things in cold water and hang to dry. I imagine that this would not be possible if you send clothes out during a cruise so we haven't ever tried. I see that one of your cruises is on AMA. They do not offer self service laundry. I don't know about Avalon.

Hopefully others will post their experiences and we will get an answer to your question abbot shrinking and fading.

We used the complementary service on Uniworld (we are past passengers). Other than that, we tend to do some hand washing in our cabin if we travel with other lines.

I haven't heard of any one having any issues with the laundry on the boats. Our "free" load was returned promptly and in good repair.

Fran

Hi Everyone!

Pat

Who are you sailing with and what itinerary ??? It makes a difference!

... Uniworld... free ... washers and dryers on their ships.

Not necessarily. The Cruise Companion for our upcoming Uniworld Portugal cruise/tour states, "The ship provides washing, drying, and ironing services for a fee. There is no self-service launderette on board the Queen Isabel. There are no dry cleaning facilities onboard."

On our Scenic cruise last year, our butler collected five of my husbands shirts in the morning he returned them later in the afternoon absolutely perfectly launderd and ironed to perfection. These were beautiful cotton shirts that are a pig to iron. Some years ago a five star hotel, I'm sorry to say in the USA ruined his shirts so since then we have been somewhat wary of using hotel or cruise laundry services.

Happy cruising CA

Who are you sailing with and what itinerary ??? It makes a difference!

She is sailing on AMA AND Avalon........back to back...lots of Tulips on

both cruises;):):D

Thanks everyone for your feedback...very much appreciated! Hi Lois...you'll be enjoying those Tulips earlier then me!

Reason for my B2B riverboat cruises...besides seeing the tulips in bloom and the windmills...I'll be seeing sites that my Dad was based at during WW2 with the Royal Canadian Army (RCA) ...Artillery Division. He was part of the Liberating forces in Holland.

I have had a dream since I was a little girl to visit each country my Dad served in during WW2. My husband Cliff & I visited most of them together before he passed away this past April. I have Holland and Germany left to visit. This trip will first get me to Southern Holland and Belgium and then the second cruise will get me to Northern Holland. After liberating Amsterdam and area, my Dad's artillery unit was used to defend the Northern coast of Holland.

Germany will be my last country to visit. If I enjoy riverboat cruising as much as I enjoy ocean cruising I'll probably book a riverboat cruise. That way I can see more of the country. I'll be looking for the itinerary with the most Germany ports! :)

ONE MORE QUESTION...Does anyone know what the laundry fees are...for AMA and Avalon?

Pat

Edited by 2Canucks

We cruised on the Ama Prima last August and the weather was much warmer than we anticipated. I had two short sleeved shirts and two pairs of shorts laundered and the prices were only slightly higher than they would have been back home. They were picked up in the morning and were laundered and on hangers in our room late that same afternoon. Great service in my opinion.

We used the laundry service on Viking and found it to be outstanding. Comes in a lovely box, wrapped in tissue and expertly done. Same day service. I will be honest and say I don't remember the fees as we have shipboard credit to use so we applied that. I don't recall being outraged!! or surprised by the prices listed on the laundry card, so I'm thinking they weren't too bad. We had a long trip and it was nice to have clean clothes for the second half of our trip and post-stay in Prague.

We have used the laundry services on all of our Viking cruises and they do a great job. Out in the morning and back usually by lunchtime. Very reasonable prices and as someone else pointed out, if you are doing a post-cruise extension and are out of clothes, Viking is much cheaper than the hotel will be.

Thanks to OBC from our TA, we did quite a bit of laundry on our recent AMA cruise. Don't remember the cost [it was OPM -- other people's money!], but everything was returned in perfect condition and even more quickly than promised.

We also take advantage of the laundry service on both river and ocean-going ships. It's reasonable and I'd much rather spend my time relaxing and getting ready for the next day's excursions. Always returned in great condition. I also still have the iron-on stickers on some of our clothing with our cabin number as souvenirs.:)

2Canucks - A few years ago, we were stationed with the U.S. Air Force in a lower province of the Netherlands and lived in a small local community. We realize it was the Canadians that liberated the Netherlands, but were often told "thanks" as well. Be sure to ask about the windmills. When an allied pilot's plane was shot down, they would be hidden by the farmers in a windmill and the vanes set at a certain angle to alert the resistance. Flowers were woven into the vanes for weddings and new babies.

When we cruised the Med with Oceania and were at Cevvechia (sp?), we chose their excursion to a farmhouse/vineyard just above the beaches at Anzio. That's where my Dad fought his way ashore with the U.S. Army in WWII. Meant a huge amount to me to be able to talk with an older gentleman who owned the estate. He was a young man at the time and they were evacuated to Rome.

Hi Pat!!! We havent travelled on those two lines but did have laundry done on Viking and it was great!

Have fun on your cruises! I want to do a Germany one as well but we just booked at Paris to Zurich with land extention for next year.

Hi Julie...I'm looking at an AMS to Budapest riverboat cruise for 2017. This itinerary has quite a few Germany stops. Pass on a message to Linda to keep me in the loop on what the group is planning for 2017. Enjoy your 2017 riverboat/land extention trip! :)

THANKS EVERYONE...for your laundry feedback and the tip...that the riverboat laundry prices are better then the hotel prices! :)

Pat

• 1 month later...
Hi Everyone!

Pat

I just booked today with Scenic and when I was sent my receipt for my deposits it listed what was included, one I was surprized at and didn't know anything about was the 1 kilo each of laundry will be done half way through our cruise. I booked the second level (balcony), so not the most expensive, the top deck is a lot more money. I am impressed with them already, but I do know from researching all the cruiselines they are the top notch one, a lot of them dont even include the real good excursions, some charge $125 pp extra, what a ripoff. Scenic excursions are top of the line ones. You really have to research each line.

Marlster