Southhampton to Heathrow

Pam

I get off Azamara Quest on Sept. 9, which is a Friday. Would I have a prayer of making it to Heathrow in time for a 11:30 am flight? I have a later one booked, but it will require my son-in-law to pick me up at 10:30 pm, which he doesn't mind. Another possibility is spending that night in an airport hotel and flying the next day, but I don't have any idea what the situation would be with my luggage. I've done that before, but there were three of us, and two of them were a lot younger than I am.

If it matters, I am booked on Delta, but the earlier flight would be on VA.

Thanks!

I would keep the Delta flight, as you need to check in at least 2 hours before your flight which means you need to be at Heathrow at 09.30. Even if you self disembark, I cannot see getting to LHR in less than 11/2 hrs. Traffic can be horrendous on the M25 ( the motorway that feeds Heathrow) It is known as a 'car park.'

Edited by upwarduk

Thank you! The Delta flight might be too early, I think it's at 12:30. I have looked at the Hilton that we stayed at a few years ago, and the reviews say I can take a cab to the terminal that VA flies out of. I can change the flight if I decide to do that, and fly the next day.

Again, thank you!

The motorways round that area frequently and unannounced morph into being three hour car parks. Way too stressful for the end of the cruise. Keep the later flight!

Okay, I think I am going to look at spending the night at that Hilton, and come home the next day. I will be all calm and destressed, and don't want to undo that!

Thank you to all of you. We had a girl's trip to London a few years ago, and spent the last night at the Hilton at Heathrow because we didn't want to run any risks. I have read up on it, and I believe that's a good idea for this time, too. I'm not a youngster, so I need to remember that.

A very good idea to fly the next day Pam. You could get The Heathrow Express and be in Covent Garden in less than an hour, have a stroll around and be back at your hotel for dinner. Just a thought too....The Sofitel at T5 is a much nicer hotel than the Hilton Heathrow.

Oh, thank you, Lottie! I didn't know about the Sofitel. When we flew the last time, we were flying Continental so the Hilton was in the perfect location. We weren't overly impressed with the hotel itself, for sure. I will look into the Sofitel, and changing my flight, tomorrow.

We had no status with the Hilton. Our rooms were fine, I just remember some kind of issue. We were worn out after several days of non-stop touring with a teenager (her 16th birthday gift), so may have been overly critical. It was very convenient for check-in with Continental.

Pam

You have received a lot of advise on the options, we live in the area between Southampton and Heathrow and and until recently I was a frequent flyer.

If you get no traffic it is possible to get to Heathrow in around 80 minutes, Friday is a bad traffic day and the peak wil be between 07.00 and 08.45, the traffic queues will start around 30 miles from Heathrow, if you can clear the ship by 06.00 you would be OK, any later don't take a chance.

Oh, thank you, Lottie! I didn't know about the Sofitel. When we flew the last time, we were flying Continental so the Hilton was in the perfect location. We weren't overly impressed with the hotel itself, for sure. I will look into the Sofitel, and changing my flight, tomorrow.

The Sofitel Heathrow regularly wins "best airport hotel in the world" Pam. It is so convenient for T5 with a three minute stroll through a connected passage to Departures, the beds are soooo comfortable and the food excellent. They have airport trollies for you and will put your cases on them and off you go to Departures. I stay here at least 10 times a year and even if I'm not flying from T5 it would be always be my preferred Heathrow hotel.

And their afternoon tea is simply fantastic! :)

The thought of you trying to make that flight has brought me out in a sweat!

Me too Grandma Gilly! I have a vision of Pam sat for an hour in a taxi in the morning rush hour on the M25, waving goodbye to her plane as it takes off!

Well I never thought I would do it but I want to defend the M25. I worked at Heathrow for many many years entering it from the M3, (M3 currently being upgraded) as you would from Southampton, the small section of the M25 you would be on (Junction 12 to 14) is busy for sure but extremely unlikely to be at standstill.

Still avid M3 users as we go round it to avoid the centre of London each weekend from Junction 12 to Junction 2.

This is not to dissuade you from having an extra day in London (or have you been to Windsor which is very local) or of course central London is wonderful. Just defending a road much travelled by me and I suspect not so much by some of the detractors!

I agree that this is the weirdest post I have ever made.

The M25 is travelled very often by me Mrs Miggins and I have to say I wish it weren't!

Yes I would agree that it's slightly better than 2 years ago....but it's still the biggest parking lot that London has. We were delayed by 45 mins just two weeks ago....road works of course. Luckily my partner was flying the next day...we were staying in The Sofitel overnight, but let's say that he isn't the most patient man on earth and as time went by, with us doing about 10 miles an hour, well the language became somewhat colourful! :D

Yes, as Mrs M has suggested, Windsor would be very nice for a day visit Pam. Very easy to get to from LHR.

I got my fight changed to the next day, with absolutely no problem, thank goodness! I haven't booked the hotel yet, but that should be easy. Now I will get home at 8:00 on Saturday evening, and can to a little sight-seeing on Friday. I haven't seen Windsor Castle, so maybe that. I'll have to look at what I can do, I have a while to think about it. Originally, my daughter was going to meet me in London for a few days but now she's meeting her husband in Amsterdam and going on to London to link up with their daughter, who will be ending her study abroad session, then they will all come home together. That will be in July. I think that's best all around, I may be "traveled out", and I know I'll feel better about her being home in case my Mom-sitter runs into an issue.

Thanks again for the advice; this continues to be such a friendly and helpful forum.

Pam

I am so glad you have been able to change, your question was a bit like the equivalent can I make the 0915 from Miami post?

You will always find someone who manages somehow every time and then many locals who say otherwise.

Last time we drove up from Southampton to Heathrow it took 4 hours - a summer weekend when schools were out and a minor bump between three cars that was all it took. Only with a more expensive flexible ticket would I do a morning flight from Heathrow ex docking at Southampton.

I agree with what others say the Sofitel is great and right by the transport hub so in addition to the fast Express to Paddington you can also buy the cheaper one day underground and bus pass for all of London. You can hop off at Knightsbridge and enjoy Harrods etc.

For Windsor the direct bus also goes from that hub. Make sure you go online and book your tickets for the Castle to guarantee the time you will go in avoid long lines. It's a fascinating place and as the Queen spends more time there these days who know who you will see :)

Finally Terminal 5 Heathrow has a couple of good eating places landside for breakfast etc. There is also a great Marks food to go for sandwiches boxed salads snacks etc

Enjoy!

uktog, I keep meaning to tell you that you live in one of my favorite cities in the world! My husband and I visited there twice, and absolutely loved it.

I have been to Harrods several times; I love the food courts. My flight leaves at 9:25 am, out of Terminal 3, so I won't be visiting Terminal 5 at all unless I wander over there instead of doing something else on Friday (depending on traffic); I'll need to be up and out really early. I think somebody said I could take a cab to Terminal 3, hopefully? When we stayed at the Hilton, we were flying out of Terminal 4 so it was a golf cart ride to the walkway.

And I did buy a more expensive flexible ticket, because my mother lives with me and at the time of my booked trip, will be almost 96 years old. I got a great price on my cruise, and insured that.

Edited by Pam
adding info.

I just booked a tour for the day, for Sept. 9th. The tour guide is like an old friend, he never forgets a previous client. When we were in London for my granddaughter's 16th birthday trip, he took us to Hampton Court. She was having a typical teenage bad hair day, in tears, hating herself and everybody else. We put her in the front seat with Harry, he chatted gently with her and took us to the most beautiful Royal park that had an inn. We had brunch, walked around the grounds and admired the flowers, he showed us a view of London through the trees. Then we went on to Hampton Court, where they were reenacting Henry VIII's last wedding. We didn't stay for that because of the crowds, but did see the characters dressed in their finery. We didn't go on to Runnymeade, but Harry made our day so memorable. My granddaughter was chatting happily with him within 10 minutes. When I emailed to see if he was free on Sept 9th, he said our visit seemed like yesterday.

I haven't seen Windsor Castle, so maybe that. I'll have to look at what I can do,

From subsequent posts I see you've engaged a guide. Make sure you go to Windsor Castle. Well worth it for the castle but also for the town itself. Glad you decided to extend your stay.

My flight leaves at 9:25 am, out of Terminal 3, so I won't be visiting Terminal 5 at all unless I wander over there instead of doing something else on Friday (depending on traffic

Hi Pam. If you did decide to go to T5 you would not be able to get airside where all the fab shops are. Landside there is very little.

Does the hotel have a shuttle bus? If not the tube goes to all the terminals. I'm good at giving this advice but I prefer to make life as easy as possible and would also take a taxi!