1st Time Booking River Cruise - Help !?!

switch15foot

Been looking in to a 15 Day Viking River Cruise. Trying to figure out when the best time to book it would be. Our dates are pretty set. It's for 2017. Right now I get discounted Air prices (flying out of Canada or flights would be free). Is this likely the best deal I'm going to get.

Opinions, experience, help.

Hello switch15foot,

basic advice for all deals: always sleep on it at least one night. Viking has got some inticing offers, but there are catches to them, that others can tell you about. You are probably talking about Amsterdam-Budapest.

Just for your info: there are other cruise companies that offer this stretch.

My problem with Viking is the immediate complete payment policy, a year before you cruise is standard. Goes against my European consumer heart. I have read about negotiations from a past cruiser about delaying total payment, but this might not be possible with the offer you are looking at.

I am sure the experienced cruisers from Canada and the US will soon give you great advice, but would you also like to do the booking through a TA?

Lastly, have a look at previous pages on CC for threads on Viking.

What month are you thinking of travelling?

I hope you find the best offer for a splendid cruise.

notamermaid

How many lines have you researched the prices?

I always look at three or four lines.

Compare what you get (how many days) for how much $$$. Also, what is included in the price.

I would suggest looking at Vantage, AMA Waterways, Viking, Uniworld, Avalon, Scenic and if you want a really low price the budget line Gate 1.

Viking does a nice cruise. Either book very early for good cabin selection or book very late for good prices. If the type and location of a cabin is important to you, book early. Best cabin location sell out fast. If you like living on the edge and possible saving money, wait for special promotions. If your are flexible on dates, you may get a deal. First time river cruisers often buy the expensive cabins with a balcony. Unless money is no object, skip the balcony. While it may be nice on an ocean cruise, on a riverboat it is not worth it. Many times, the ship is tied up next to another ship. Your balcony view is another ship. That's when you keep the curtains closed. When the ship is moving, best views are in the lounge or top deck. Why look at only one side. If stairs are okay, think about the lower deck cabins. Lower cabin prices are often much less than cabins on higher decks. On my first river cruise, I insisted on a french balcony. I thought that it would be nice to sail with an open window. It looked so nice in the brochures. I was wrong. Open window allows bugs to fly in.

Now I look for promotions. I had wanted to do Viking 15 days from Amsterdam to Budapest in September or October. However, when I got a promo for August with a good price, I booked it. By going in August instead of Sept. or Oct., I am saving a lot. Look at your options and decide what is best for you. Enjoy!

All very good advice. If you get a moment pull up RiverCruiseAdvisor.com

Is by Ralph Grizzle and he has a chart that list the various different European Cruise Lines and shows various different comparisons. Not that it is for me to say as all have various opinions but Viking doesn't rate very high.

We ourselves have cruised with Scenic in fact did probably the cruise you are thinking about last year. AMSTERDAM TO BUDAPEST.

We totally enjoyed in fact so much that we have two more booked. One next year like you for September when kids are back in school and is a little cooler for Spectacular South of France with Paris and Monte Carlo and then an Ocean Cruise on their new ship under construction The Eclipse for October of 2018 Cuba in Depth.

Which ever one that you may decide it is going to be Funtastic as a lot more relaxed and more intamate.

Remember the cruise is great, however it is the folks that you shall meet and the friendships that are formed as those are the ships that shall Sail Forever.

Lisa and Gary

LoneStarCruisinCouple

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Be aware of the fact that free air with Viking usually means that you have no say in flights. Two years ago we even offered to pay the extra $100 per person for custom air in order to get the carrier we wanted, but that wasn't an option.

So I would want to know something about the flights before pulling the trigger, but at a year out, that may not be an option.

FuelScience

YMMV but when when we booked our Viking cruise, we "booked" the air and hotel extensions at either end as they were a similarly good deal at the time. But we were told and it turned out to be true, that we could cancel hotel or air without penalty as long as we did so prior to the air tickets being booked which they said would be no more than 90 (or maybe it was 120?) days prior to our trip.

Once the airlines had opened up their windows for booking,(we booked the cruise 15 or 16 months in advance) we elected to use award points and then canceled our air. After we found better deals on hotels, we canceled those.

I would also recommend checking prices not just with the cruiselines but also with some of the agencies. We booked through a big box membership retailer's online travel agency and started at the same prices that Viking was offering online but ended up getting $200 of OBC (which was difficult to use) and a $500 giftcard from the retailer which we just used up this week on a tank of gas.

If you decide to "shop" other lines, add Grand Circle to the list provided by a PP.

If you plan to book soon you may find a sale. Also, GCT offers a decent discount for full payment in advance.

Finally, regardless of the line you choose, look at the stickies above and get a referral.

Edited by CPT Trips

Been looking in to a 15 Day Viking River Cruise. Trying to figure out when the best time to book it would be. Our dates are pretty set. It's for 2017. Right now I get discounted Air prices (flying out of Canada or flights would be free). Is this likely the best deal I'm going to get.

Opinions, experience, help.

I agree with others, I went through the same thing as you a few months ago. You can e-mail me for further info. We are also Canadian from Victoria, B.C.and doing the 15 day Amsterdam to Budapest May 15, 2017.

Marlene

jorchard@shaw.ca

We booked our cruise last October for this August, and got everything half price. I haven't looked lately to see what the charges are, but I imagine I got a good deal. In any event, we're going and remember that "Fair Market Value" is a price that both the consumer and vendor agree on, so I'm happy.

I've found the Viking people to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I just have questions that pop up, and I go to the phone. There is a hotline you can call that they will answer any of your questions. I'm a very satisfied customer so far, and I'm still a month away from going on the trip.

Carl

I have seen several posts that state Viking demands full payment immediately at the time of booking at least a year before the cruise date and I just want to let people know that was not entirely the case with my cruise. I called Viking in May 2015 and told the representative that I wanted to book a Rhine cruise in August of 2016. I had them handle air as well. I put down a deposit and purchased insurance and then made a payment each month for the next 9 months until it was paid in full. I have received our flight information and am very pleased with our flights. At 50 days out from our departure date I have been very pleased with my dealings with Viking. At this point in time, I am much more concerned about a glitch with the airline than with the cruise line.

Good luck with picking a cruise. I believe that all lines will try to please their customers.

Bill

We booked our cruise last October for this August, and got everything half price. I haven't looked lately to see what the charges are, but I imagine I got a good deal. In any event, we're going and remember that "Fair Market Value" is a price that both the consumer and vendor agree on, so I'm happy.

I've found the Viking people to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I just have questions that pop up, and I go to the phone. There is a hotline you can call that they will answer any of your questions. I'm a very satisfied customer so far, and I'm still a month away from going on the trip.

Carl

I have yet to find anyone who has not gotten "half price" from Viking. That's their normal marketing approach. But the most important thing is that you feel you paid "Fair Market Value." Enjoy your cruise!

I have seen several posts that state Viking demands full payment immediately at the time of booking at least a year before the cruise date and I just want to let people know that was not entirely the case with my cruise. I called Viking in May 2015 and told the representative that I wanted to book a Rhine cruise in August of 2016. I had them handle air as well. I put down a deposit and purchased insurance and then made a payment each month for the next 9 months until it was paid in full. I have received our flight information and am very pleased with our flights. At 50 days out from our departure date I have been very pleased with my dealings with Viking. At this point in time, I am much more concerned about a glitch with the airline than with the cruise line.

Good luck with picking a cruise. I believe that all lines will try to please their customers.

Bill

I have yet to find anyone who has not gotten "half price" from Viking. That's their normal marketing approach. But the most important thing is that you feel you paid "Fair Market Value." Enjoy your cruise!

Most, if not all, cruise lines marketing wants you to think there's a 1/2 price sale, 30% off, kids sail free or whatever their current promotion is. What I've seen is that they inflate the prices then offer a "SALE". Bottom line is to pay what you feel is fair and enjoy!

We booked our 1st Viking cruise in May for next month with Viking. Supposedly 2nd guest sails "free". Was it a true sale? I don't think so but we're happy with the price we paid.....and that's what matters.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Bill

We booked in October and paid deposit up front, and made final payment in November. I didn't mind that, as I'd just as soon have it paid for before I went.

We just got off a cruise with Scenic, and spoke to several Canadians on our cruise who said they were able to pay for the cruise in Canadian dollars, making it much more attractive than some other lines. Loved Scenic, all inclusive of all tours, gratuities, alcoholic beverages (not just wine and beer with lunch and dinner) and a great staff.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We just got off a cruise with Scenic, and spoke to several Canadians on our cruise who said they were able to pay for the cruise in Canadian dollars, making it much more attractive than some other lines. Loved Scenic, all inclusive of all tours, gratuities, alcoholic beverages (not just wine and beer with lunch and dinner) and a great staff.

We have booked with Scenic Amsterdam to Budapest May 2017 and we are paying in Canadian Dollars. Yes the all-inclusive is really all-inclusive even your cabin fridge is stocked with whatever alcohol you like, no gratuties to be paid, no charges at all at end of cruise to be paid.

Marlster

My problem with Viking is the immediate complete payment policy, a year before you cruise is standard. Goes against my European consumer heart.

That is pretty much only in North America though, happily they don't do this elsewhere.