Diamond Plus Loss of Benefits

Ummm...not that I recall ;)....but I do remember a Costa ship pretending to

BE the Titanic off the coast of Tuscany just a few years ago?? :eek:

Happy we were not on that one. :(

I guess that old saying "any day on a cruise is better than work" didn't apply then

I guess that old saying "any day on a cruise is better than work" didn't apply then

LOL!! Yeah, and any day on an RCI ship would be better than being

on a Costa ship! :eek:

Edited by island lady

Yes...Suite (Grand & up) as well as Pinnacle had priority that met in the Schooner. All other C&A tiers were welcome to meet in the Michaelangelo Dining Room from 8:30 thru 10:30. We decided to "walk off" with the "Self Carry" group, hired a Porter who have their own Customs Lane thus bypassing most walk off customers.

How did you find a Porter to help you? We have a long drive ahead of us when we leave Oasis in September. Back in February, we were lucky and left as 6:30am. Had NO wait for elevators, walked right off the ship and had almost no wait for Customs. Easiest departure ever. HOWEVER, on Allure it was horrible. It would be nice to have someone help you bypass the long line IF that happens to be the problem.

I agree! We love cruising! I only wish we had discovered it sooner. It's a wonderful way to travel, relax, and experience new places. To borrow from a TV program, "It's an amazing world. Get out there and see it."

I have to agree as well....we love cruising -- we only started after we moved to Florida in 2003 and took our first cruise in 2004 with friends who flew down from NJ to join us. They had cruised a few times before, and we have been cruising ever since.....and yes, the world is amazing, this can give you a little taste of a place you might like to do a land trip to at another time. So get onboard!

Edited by Paulette3028

If you'll notice, I'm from the middle of the country(Tennessee), and the only close cruise port is for Mississippi River cruises.......not interested at all in those. (Growing older, but not up!) So, we drive very long distances or most often fly to cruise ports. Since flights need to be figured in, and we both enjoy cruising multiple cruises yearly, and we aren't wealthy, we still cruise some in inside cabins. Our last cruise was in a balcony and next one is in a junior suite, but I'll probably go on multiple solo cruises this fall in inside cabins. Paying 150% single supplement, along with airfare, hotels, rental cars, or taxis, and other cruise related expenses, if I want to cruise in MY budget, I cut back and stay in insides some. We have cruised in and out of over twenty ports all over the world....not limited to just the four RCI Florida ports. Of our 45 years of marriage(next Saturday...7/23/71), I only had about five years working part time and one year of full time, so thankfully, my husband and I have his income for cruise $$$, and all other expenses.;) In five short weeks, we'll be cruising on our favorite ship....Freedom of the Seas!1640 is still available if anyone wants to be Top Dog on this cruise!:p;)

To stay on topic....One perk of higher level C&A program is 150 % single supplement, and another is higher balcony/suite discounts. Hopefully, they won't remove these.

Congratulations on your 45th! We're not far behind you and will be celebrating ours on the Explorer en route from Seattle to Alaska next month. Didn't begin to really enjoy cruising until 2 years ago and, like you, a lot of extra travel expenses to keep "loyal to Royal" from California. On track to reach diamond+ next summer on a 7 day to the Norwegian fjords prior to our second transatlantic. Just curious when a topic such as "loss of benefits" for a level we've not yet reached comes up. We've been waiting for the loss of diamond lounge benefits ever since they added the 3 drinks to our seapass cards. We usually book inside cabins and haven't had a need to cruise solo yet. The specialty dining discount will be nice, though.

• 1 year later...

You don't have to be Stephen Hawkins to postulate the future of space in Royal Caribbean ships into the future.

With over 8 million !! C&A members (Captains trivial pursuit question) it follows benefits will need to be taken away. As an Owner Suite paying guest I am paying big time for the perceived extra benefits. On a very recent cruise Diamond had its own lounge but they chose to pile into our lounge for some reason. The barman hated it because he said he is not paid (no bar tips on free drinks). Diamond may not be paying but I certainly was and certainly disliked the implied pressure that I should be tipping again! Suite guests already get charged a higher daily service charge. I am up to Emerald but will no longer cruise with RC because they are dumbing down the services offered, even to high paying suite guests. RC is firmly aiming at what used to be known as the bucket and spade brigade. Quantity not quality, hence the mega ships. Happy to pay for quality, as long as I get it.

Just sailed on Liberty of the Seas on July 3, 2016. As a Diamond Plus member, I was disappointed to hear about the loss of a Concierge Club benefit on ships that now have Suite Lounges., but I had read about the change prior to the cruise.

However, my bigger disappointment is the loss of an exclusive Departure Lounge & No Priority Disembarkation for Diamond Plus & Diamond tiers. On the Liberty of the Seas, all Crown & Anchor members are now lumped together for departure.

As someone who has only sailed Royal once, this obviously doesn't affect me yet. I'd rather view it not that someone else lost a benefit, but that I've gained benefits. We're all in the VIP disembarkation line now. :ship:

You don't have to be Stephen Hawkins to postulate the future of space in Royal Caribbean ships into the future.

With over 8 million !! C&A members (Captains trivial pursuit question) it follows benefits will need to be taken away. As an Owner Suite paying guest I am paying big time for the perceived extra benefits. On a very recent cruise Diamond had its own lounge but they chose to pile into our lounge for some reason. The barman hated it because he said he is not paid (no bar tips on free drinks). Diamond may not be paying but I certainly was and certainly disliked the implied pressure that I should be tipping again! Suite guests already get charged a higher daily service charge. I am up to Emerald but will no longer cruise with RC because they are dumbing down the services offered, even to high paying suite guests. RC is firmly aiming at what used to be known as the bucket and spade brigade. Quantity not quality, hence the mega ships. Happy to pay for quality, as long as I get it.

I thought everyone tipped extra in the lounges for the bar staff's work serving the free drinks. If not, then everyone SHOULD be tipping. I budget $1 per drink, including my husband's diet cokes, and tip mid-cruise, and at the end. $20 - $30 extra is not much.

I just got off the Rhapsody, and the service in the Concierge Lounge was superb, and opened to a roped off area in the Viking Crown when it got crowded.

Yes, the Diamond Lounges are overcrowded, and will continue to be so until the D's move on to other lounges with their drinks on their seapass cards, or until RCCL Corporate authorizes more overflow.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I thought everyone tipped extra in the lounges for the bar staff's work serving the free drinks. If not, then everyone SHOULD be tipping. I budget $1 per drink, including my husband's diet cokes, and tip mid-cruise, and at the end. $20 - $30 extra is not much.

I just got off the Rhapsody, and the service in the Concierge Lounge was superb, and opened to a roped off area in the Viking Crown when it got crowded.

Yes, the Diamond Lounges are overcrowded, and will continue to be so until the D's move on to other lounges with their drinks on their seapass cards, or until RCCL Corporate authorizes more overflow.

According to the Diamond Lounge attendant on our cruise that ended yesterday, overflow will not be the answer as it is too hard to control. There are simply too many Diamond and up members and she said that they will be making changes in the future.

If you want to pay high rates and get practically everything, try Star Class on one of the larger ships.

According to the Diamond Lounge attendant on our cruise that ended yesterday, overflow will not be the answer as it is too hard to control. There are simply too many Diamond and up members and she said that they will be making changes in the future.

Makes sense. RCCL will come up with a solution, because if these boards are a barometer there's a lot of complaining going on in the post-cruise surveys.

First of all...if you even knew anything about Stephen Hawkins, he is not saying much any longer...may he rest in peace.

Diamonds do have their own lounge...but Diamonds can only access the concierge lounge or suites lounge unless they are already suites guests...then they are on the same status quo as your "Owners Suite" access. As you are Emerald, you certainly were not in the Diamond lounge, so you are talking about your observations in the Suites Lounge or Concierge Lounge.

And finally...yes the majority of us DO tip, most common a dollar a drink.

And welcome to Cruise Critic. :rolleyes:

Makes sense. RCCL will come up with a solution, because if these boards are a barometer there's a lot of complaining going on in the post-cruise surveys.

Once you've sailed on the Carnival Vista, like we made the mistake of doing a couple months ago, all these supposed RCCL issues seem like much to do about nothing.

Such a shame comments cannot be made on this forum without the replies becoming personal attacks. Sadly this is a sign of the times. If I make further comment I will of course offend someone who feels their opinion is of greater weight than mine. I find it helpful to read other peoples insights about their cruise before booking my next cruise which surely is the purpose of Cruise Critic, hence the name Critic (to be critical of).:evilsmile:

Not quite so interested in just being told my opinions are wrong. Maybe some could benefit from a session with Freud.

Now I know he is still alive, isn't he?