Liquor added to drinks after frozen mixture

Question I haven't seen before. We recently sailed on Jewel and had the most amazing time. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the way they made frozen drinks. They made the frozen mixture then added the liquor after it was in the glass. It always stayed on top of the glass and when you did try to mix it.... it melted the frozen mixture. I asked a few time if it was possible to make it the way they always used too. ( Add the rum to the frozen blender mixture) They told me that children would order the virgin drinks and that Royal couldn't have any alcohol in the blender if they were making virgin drinks. Is this Fleet wide? I had beer after having 3 because they Going on Allure and hope it isn't their policy. If it has become their policy you would think they couldl keep one blender and dedicate to childrens beverages. Thanking you ahead of time for your feed back...

I have never heard or seen anything like that in all of my cruises. I recently did a Disney cruise and they used the blender all the time ( I tended bar in college and I watch bartenders like a hawk). I'll be on the Allure in the end of August so I'll keep an eye out for you.

This was my experience as well. We ordered Labadoozies at Labadee and they also charged the same for each drink. I had them put an extra shot in the non-virgin drinks since I paid the same for all. Maybe this was just our server? Seems ridiculous.

I can confirm, made the same way on Oasis. It makes sense, actually. It never occurred to me that this would bother anyone, even my wife - who hates strong drinks, sucked em down. Just mixed with the straw and not a big deal. I liked it better this way, some nice strong rum floating around, yum.

The bartenders would make me doubles, too :)

I'd imagine if they put it in the mix and then over poured it, then they'd be shorting you booze left in the blender.

I totally agree. We have cruised other lines that added the booze to the mix before blending. At times, the mixture was more than would fit into the glass, so we didn't get the full shot. I'd rather have it added at the end and stir it into the drink than the other.

It's mixed in,with a "topper"..it's all good!

Affogato style. :)

Actually, I didn't care for it either, but I'm not sure how the liquor melted it any more than it would have done in the blender. I imagine they add more ice, when they blend it altogether, which of course leads to the issues other people have had.

Shouldn't they be cleaning the blenders in between customers????

Question I haven't seen before. We recently sailed on Jewel and had the most amazing time. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the way they made frozen drinks. They made the frozen mixture then added the liquor after it was in the glass. It always stayed on top of the glass and when you did try to mix it.... it melted the frozen mixture. I asked a few time if it was possible to make it the way they always used too. ( Add the rum to the frozen blender mixture) They told me that children would order the virgin drinks and that Royal couldn't have any alcohol in the blender if they were making virgin drinks. Is this Fleet wide? I had beer after having 3 because they Going on Allure and hope it isn't their policy. If it has become their policy you would think they couldl keep one blender and dedicate to childrens beverages. Thanking you ahead of time for your feed back...
they have always made the drinks that way....K.O.

Wow OP, never heard of that before ... but then our 1st RCL cruise isn't until next year ... and I've never ordered an alcoholic frozen drink in all the years of cruising we have done (until next year when we will be sailing Haven Class (NCL) with our Unlimited Beverage Package :) ) ...

Look at it from another angle - say the bartender made your frozen drink with the alcohol in it from the start... it's all blending up nicely and you're excited... now, s/he pours it into a glass and it doesn't all fit. Can you imagine the uproar about leaving some behind and not getting all the alcohol you paid for? :p

Makes sense for many reasons that they do a pour-over. :)

So imagine you're waiting for your pina colada and waiting and waiting.....these bar servers are so busy most of the time that this method is the best way to quickly make frozen drinks which btw are a huge PIA (pain in the arse) for a bartender! Of course they don't wash the blender (island oasis) pitcher after every drink, unless they need to switch gears to another flavor. Maybe you want Meyers rum, or Captain Morgan...it makes sense to do it the way they do. After all, its not really that big of a deal to stir your drink, is it? #firstworldproblems

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app