Live From The Caribbean Princess Iceland & Norway Explorer September 5, 2016

Woobstr112G

Good evening from Southampton UK. Holli and I made it here several hours ago. Took some time to get a little rest after that. Our flight from Los Angeles to Heathrow was fairly uneventful. Customs and retrieving our bags at Heathrow, took a bit. Our flight was on an Airbus A380. It was the first time we flew on the A380. An added bonus was our seats were in First Class. The plane is freaking huge. The service was top notch. About the only negative thing I can say is we were late leaving LAX which made our arrival at LHR also delayed.

We are staying at the Grand Harbor hotel which is basically across the street from the cruise terminal. I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the room. We have a large room with a balcony view towards the cruise terminal along with the arrival and departure terminal. When we arrived at the hotel, i saw the Emerald Princess and Celebrity Eclipse docked. Both have since departed. Our turn of course comes on Monday. The weather right now is rather dreary. A bit ago, it was raining rather heavily. Now it's just clouds and the occasional aforementioned drizzle. Tomorrow, Holli and I plan to head the West Quay shopping mall to pick up an item I forgot to pack for her. I'm also going to try and get a little picture taking in.

So far, so good. Fire away with any questions......:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Bob, I'm embarrassed to say that you pack lighter than we do (much to my DH's chagrin). We look like we've packed all our worldly possessions when we go on a cruise of your length no matter how I try to lighten the load.

If you're traveling on an A-380 for the first time be prepared to be amazed. We were last year and marveled that it could get off the ground (especially with our luggage on board :D). Have a great trip!

Hi Ann. The A380 was amazing at first sight. I also wondered how a plane that big could get off the ground. First Class was very nice and made the nearly 10 hour flight seem to fly by.....:):):)

Bob

I was hoping that the ship had the on demand movies now. We were on her last October and they did not. We were on the Royal and the Regal in January and those on demand movies are nice. They would be even nicer for the days at sea crossing the Atlantic.

I will double check but when we did the cruise last year, they were still the old style TV's.....:):):)

As of May they do not have the on demand sets that the Royal and Regal have.

And no one has posted any reliable information that they will be installed on any existing ships other than the couple that have already been converted.

Edited by caribill

Just packed and had to take a larger suitcase. Oh well!

I was hoping that the ship had the on demand movies now. We were on her last October and they did not. We were on the Royal and the Regal in January and those on demand movies are nice. They would be even nicer for the days at sea crossing the Atlantic.

We are on the CB right now on the British Isles cruise and headed for Le Havre and a tour of the WWII landing area in Normandy - private tour. The CB does not have the new on demand movies like the Regal/Royal but does have a flat screen TV with the usual channels as before.

We were able to get our clothes in two suitcases that weighed about 40 lbs each and a roll on for essential items in case they lost our suitcases which they did not. The embarkation went very fast that even surprised us. We were taken from our hotel (Holiday Inn) to the cruise terminal at about 11:10 AM and were onboard the CB by 11:45 AM! We were able to board first of course.

Hi Ann. The A380 was amazing at first sight. I also wondered how a plane that big could get off the ground. First Class was very nice and made the nearly 10 hour flight seem to fly by.....:):):)

Bob

Glad to hear you had an uneventful flight despite the fact that it left a little late. First class on BA is quite nice; we thought it was great until we flew on Emirates in first class. That was over the top, but we don't often need to travel through Dubai.

I hope you and Holli enjoy your stay in Southampton and the weather gets a little sunnier.

Bob

Bob, hope you got a couple of pictures of the inside of the plane. Looking forward to more. :)

We are staying at the Grand Harbor hotel which is basically across the street from the cruise terminal. I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the room. We have a large room with a balcony view towards the cruise terminal along with the arrival and departure terminal. When we arrived at the hotel, i saw the Emerald Princess and Celebrity Eclipse docked. Both have since departed. Our turn of course comes on Monday. The weather right now is rather dreary. A bit ago, it was raining rather heavily. Now it's just clouds and the occasional aforementioned drizzle. Tomorrow, Holli and I plan to head the West Quay shopping mall to pick up an item I forgot to pack for her. I'm also going to try and get a little picture taking in.

Bob

Bob,

We will be staying at the Pig in the Wall which is right across the street from you at the Grand Harbor. I was wondering if you might be able to snap a pic of the hotel and post it when you have time.

I am also looking forward to hearing about Southampton.

Thank you

Good morning from Southampton UK. It is 0755 local time. I got a fairly good night's sleep last night despite the jet lag issues. When I awoke this morning I got dressed and walked around the town taking some great pictures. I'm a fanatic about old world architecture and Southampton had a lot of great buildings to look at and capture digitally. As I was walking around, I saw that RCCL's Navigator OTS and P&O's Arcadia have taken the place of the Emerald Princess and the Celebrity Eclipse and are now docked locally. One thing I forgot to mention yesterday is that when we first got into the Southampton area, I also saw P&O's Britannia was also docked.

Weather has improved somewhat from yesterday. The clouds are still present and it's somewhat dreary. Good thing though is the rain as stopped. Local weather reports say the rain may return midday tomorrow and a warming trend will start on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Only thing on tap for today is to avail myself of the Grand Harbor's free breakfast when Holli gets up. After that we are headed to the West Quay shopping mall to look for a cold weather jacket that I forgot to pack for Holli. After that we'll probably play it by ear. I was looking forward to trying out one of the local pubs for dinner, but I've found out that most of them are closed on Sunday's. Oh well.

Hope all are well.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Bob' date='

We will be staying at the Pig in the Wall which is right across the street from you at the Grand Harbor. I was wondering if you might be able to snap a pic of the hotel and post it when you have time.

Thank you[/quote']

I walked right by it but didn't get a picture. I'll run back out before breakfast and take a couple of pics for you.....:):):)

Bob

Bob' date='

Thank you[/quote']

Here you go.....:):):)

29408623086_134263bc79.jpg

28819088064_b2c01fd9ef.jpg

29363167891_202258336f.jpg

Bob

Hi Bob,

We were very close to each other yesterday, had to go to Heathrow to collect a car and drive back to Scotland,

have a great cruise wave as you sail past us,:)

story to make you smile just now my bank account is sitting with a five figure sum sitting in it,

thing is it not my money, a payment error my a company in London means I am rich for a day or two have contacted them and offered them their money back,

yours Shogun

Hi Bob,

We were very close to each other yesterday, had to go to Heathrow to collect a car and drive back to Scotland,

have a great cruise wave as you sail past us,:)

story to make you smile just now my bank account is sitting with a five figure sum sitting in it,

thing is it not my money, a payment error my a company in London means I am rich for a day or two have contacted them and offered them their money back,

yours Shogun

Hello Shogun. Nice to hear from you. You should stop be Lerwick when we dock.....:):):)

Bob

Hi Bob

Phil and I are following along, love your "Live Froms"!!

We will be on the CB in November with some Red Hot Ruby Alums, a great time will be had by all and we have two questions. Could you please check and find out how much a martini is in Crooners - since I know you'll have at least one!! :p:p Phil and I don't drink enough to justify the drink package but I do love my martinis at Crooners. On our Bermuda cruise last fall on RCL, a single martini was $15.00 and it wasn't that good!! Also, there is a thread going about the menus, in particular items that have been removed from the 'Always Available' to make room for Curtis Stone new items, so could you please take a quick look. Much appreciated.

Edited by Anubi

I was looking forward to trying out one of the local pubs for dinner, but I've found out that most of them are closed on Sunday's. Oh well.

Hope all are well.....:):):)

Bob

We were in Southampton this past June. We had a pub meal right on High Street at a restaurant on the right hand side as you walk toward the Bargate. I think it was called The Standing Order. Not fancy, certainly not high end dining, but we thought it was pretty good and reasonable. You sit at a numbered table, go to the bar to order your meal, pay when you order, and carry your drinks with you. The meal is delivered to your table.

Hi Bob

Phil and I are following along, love your "Live Froms"!!

We will be on the CB in November with some Red Hot Ruby Alums, a great time will be had by all and we have two questions. Could you please check and find out how much a martini is in Crooners - since I know you'll have at least one!! :p:p Phil and I don't drink enough to justify the drink package but I do love my martinis at Crooners. On our Bermuda cruise last fall on RCL, a single martini was $15.00 and it wasn't that good!! Also, there is a thread going about the menus, in particular items that have been removed from the 'Always Available' to make room for Curtis Stone new items, so could you please take a quick look. Much appreciated.

Wanda;

Yikes, $15.00 for one martini:eek:. I'll check as soon as we board and get back to you. I will also check on the "Always Available" items on the MDR menu. From memory of last year, I believe the per drink price back then, was $8.95. Can't say for sure though. In any case, I will check and let you know.....:):):)

Bob

Good afternoon all from Southampton. It's 1510 local time. Holli & I just returned from a short walk around the immediate area of our hotel. While out walking, we stopped by the West Quay Mall, specifically Marks & Spencer to look for a cold weather jacket for Holli. We found a reasonably priced option and purchased it. After that, we walked around the mall a for awhile doing a little window shopping. I must say I was impressed with the mall especially Marks & Spencer. Very friendly & knowledgeable staff and very reasonable prices. Great place to go for some last minute items you might need for your voyage.

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Hello Bob

As always, I am looking forward to your posts on this Cruise. I hope you and Holli have smooth seas and calm waters.

Bob

Bob;

Thanks for the kind words. I'll have a ton of Internet minutes to use so I'll do my best to r port on my observations and experiences......:):):)

Bob

Bob

Hi Bob,

I just checked on the planes I will be on for my trip starting Tuesday. Unfortunately, no A380's going to Rome but on the way back from Heathrow to LAX, we will be on a A308. Was on one last year flying to Heathrow from LAX and loved, loved, loved the plane. They are so incredibly quiet as well as so much room on them. Loved the upper deck.

Enjoy your cruise and tell Holli hi from me please too.

Thank you Bob for the pics. You are so sweet to have gone back out to take them. I hope you enjoyed your breakfast and your day in Southampton. We have an entire year before we can be there. This will be only our second cruise with Princess and are looking forward to sailing on the CB. If it's okay with you I will save your pics to my pre cruise planning folder to help ease the pain of a whole year's wait.

I look forward to following your live post and hope you and Holli have a great cruise.

Thank you Bob for the pics. You are so sweet to have gone back out to take them. I hope you enjoyed your breakfast and your day in Southampton. We have an entire year before we can be there. This will be only our second cruise with Princess and are looking forward to sailing on the CB. If it's okay with you I will save your pics to my pre cruise planning folder to help ease the pain of a whole year's wait.

I look forward to following your live post and hope you and Holli have a great cruise.

Feel free to use my pictures any way you wish. If you've never been on the CB' date=' I have a Flickr album from last year's cruise on her. The link for my Flickr page is in the bottom of my signature. Once you click on it, go to the "Albums" page and select the Iceland/Norway 2015 album....:):):)

Bob[/size']

Edited by Woobstr112G

Hi Bob' date='

I just checked on the planes I will be on for my trip starting Tuesday. Unfortunately, no A380's going to Rome but on the way back from Heathrow to LAX, we will be on a A308. Was on one last year flying to Heathrow from LAX and loved, loved, loved the plane. They are so incredibly quiet as well as so much room on them. Loved the upper deck.

Enjoy your cruise and [b']tell Holli hi from me please too.[/b]

Ann;

Will do.....:):):)

Bob