Are Beverage Packages Worth the Costs?

LovescatsNC

Cruising on Adventure of the Sea early December. Am considering a premium beverage package. Cost is almost $400 per person. is it worth the expense? Does it cover most alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages on the cruise?

We aren't BIG drinkers but a couple of cocktails plus wine with dinner. Do you need 2 packages? or will one package work?

Cost is almost $400 per person. is it worth the expense?... We aren't BIG drinkers but a couple of cocktails plus wine with dinner....

I think you've answered your own question. "Big" drinkers buy the package, occasional drinkers do not. As stated, there is a break-even point depending on what you are drinking. In my own personal opinion, I feel an alcohol package would cause me to drink more than I might normally do. If the break-even is 7 drinks a day, that can be a lot to accomplish, especially on a port day verses a sea day. I feel I would always have to have a drink in my hand to make sure I "got my money's worth". I know others don't feel this way, but I do.

Here is an interesting link comparing the prices of the packages with the individual drinks. I hope it helps.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink-package/

I would suggest not, however, on most cruise lines you can purchase once on board, so go for a day and see if you come close to the daily cost. If so buy the package, if not, just keep putting it on your tab as you go.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

The fact that cruise lines are pushing beverage packages is a fairly good indication that they make more money from them than selling drinks à la carte. Which suggests that most people do not drink even the break even quantity.

On the other hand, some people find it more convenient. And for those pre-paying, a lower on-board bill.

One should factor in port days. Seven drinks on a sea day is one thing. Consuming same in half the time might be a challenge.

Edited by broberts

The fact that cruise lines are pushing beverage packages is a fairly good indication that they make more money from them than selling drinks à la carte. Which suggests that most people do not drink even the break even quantity.

On the other hand, some people find it more convenient. And for those pre-paying, a lower on-board bill.

One should factor in port days. Seven drinks on a sea day is one thing. Consuming same in half the time might be a challenge.

Good point,

Also drinking heavily every day for a week or so will have consequences on more than just inebriation levels, liver damage and weight gain for a start.:eek:

Good point,

Also drinking heavily every day for a week or so will have consequences on more than just inebriation levels, liver damage and weight gain for a start.:eek:

You also should consider the fact that you can be cut off if you appear to have exceeded your own limit. Think about a long port day - you get back on at 5:00 or 5:30 -- getting in your 7 or so "break-even" drinks might be tough to do - without showing sufficient signs to get cut off.

I suppose if I liked the notion of getting buzzed every day for a week or so I might be able to make the drink package "worth it" ---- but I have better things to do with my time (and my liver).

You might want to ask this question on the RC board for specifics on the Adventure

Agree with other posters that this question is very subjective. It really does depend on how much you choose to drink! A glass of wine will be $8-12 plus 18% gratuity. Mixed drinks around $10 and frozen drinks around $12, again plus 18% gratuity.

Also, do you plan on drinking specialty coffee, fresh squeezed OJ, soda, bottled water? Those items will probably be included in the package - in other words it's not just the alcoholic drinks that add up. Plan on how much you want to spend on non-alcoholic drinks.

There are plenty of free non-alcoholic drinks, but if you must have bottled water, soda, etc. you might be better off with a package.

You might want to ask this question on the RC board for specifics on the Adventure

Agree with other posters that this question is very subjective. It really does depend on how much you choose to drink! A glass of wine will be $8-12 plus 18% gratuity. Mixed drinks around $10 and frozen drinks around $12, again plus 18% gratuity.

Also, do you plan on drinking specialty coffee, fresh squeezed OJ, soda, bottled water? Those items will probably be included in the package - in other words it's not just the alcoholic drinks that add up. Plan on how much you want to spend on non-alcoholic drinks.

There are plenty of free non-alcoholic drinks, but if you must have bottled water, soda, etc. you might be better off with a package.

Good points about the non-alcoholic drinks but they have packages for that as well. That may work out better for some people and they can just buy the one or two alcoholic drinks on top of it.

Good points about the non-alcoholic drinks but they have packages for that as well. That may work out better for some people and they can just buy the one or two alcoholic drinks on top of it.

OP referred to RC premium package which includes fountain soda, bottled water, juice, etc. as well as alcoholic drinks, which was why I said they might be better off with a package. It is really something people need to think through, especially if they drink a lot of soda etc. in addition to the alcohol.

OP referred to RC premium package which includes fountain soda, bottled water, juice, etc. as well as alcoholic drinks, which was why I said they might be better off with a package. It is really something people need to think through, especially if they drink a lot of soda etc. in addition to the alcohol.

Agreed. the packages work for some, but definitely not for all.

We have a beverage package on our HAL Alaska cruise next June as part of a promotion. In theory we could have booked the cruise without it for $150 less pp so instead of $362 for 7nt for the package the "real" cost is $150 (not counting other promotion features). Normally we would not do a package but break even comes out to three drinks a day which we would do anyway so no pressure to get our money's worth. But at full price that would be overkill.

We have a beverage package on our HAL Alaska cruise next June as part of a promotion. In theory we could have booked the cruise without it for $150 less pp so instead of $362 for 7nt for the package the "real" cost is $150 (not counting other promotion features). Normally we would not do a package but break even comes out to three drinks a day which we would do anyway so no pressure to get our money's worth. But at full price that would be overkill.

The convenience of having the package will make it very worthwhile as well.

Cruising on Adventure of the Sea early December. Am considering a premium beverage package. Cost is almost $400 per person. is it worth the expense? Does it cover most alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages on the cruise?

We aren't BIG drinkers but a couple of cocktails plus wine with dinner. Do you need 2 packages? or will one package work?

They no longer require everyone of age sharing a cabin to have the same drink plan on most cruises, but you can't share one drink plan. You might get away with it for cocktail hour, but it would certainly not be allowed for the wine with dinner.

Cocktails start at I around $10 each plus mandatory gratuity. Wine starts at around $8 a glass plus gratuity, and I forgot the lowest per bottle price. Guessing it was around $40~ish. I didn't read the thread, but I'm sure someone's provided exact figures already if you've supplied your cruise line. You can carry on two bottles of wine. If you buy wine in the dining room one night and you can carry your glasses back with you, wash them out, and re-use them to take the wine you brought with you into the dining room for free. If you take the bottle in with you, they will charge you the corking fee.

Bottom line is you can easily enjoy 2 cocktails and 2 glasses of wine each for around $60~ish per evening on board. One night you'll be in port until late enough to enjoy cheaper cocktails at a port side bar before you come back aboard for dinner. You could easily just pay by the glass and come out cheaper than 2 premium drink plans. There is a plan I think on all cruises where you get so many bottles of wine. My spouse doesn't drink it so I'm short on the details. I would guess if you were able to buy a 5 or 6 bottle of wine package and then paid individually for your cocktails that would be the cheapest option available for you.

Edited by TravelinGert

They no longer require everyone of age sharing a cabin to have the same drink plan on most cruises, but you can't share one drink plan. You might get away with it for cocktail hour, but it would certainly not be allowed for the wine with dinner.

Cocktails start at I around $10 each plus mandatory gratuity. Wine starts at around $8 a glass plus gratuity, and I forgot the lowest per bottle price. Guessing it was around $40~ish. I didn't read the thread, but I'm sure someone's provided exact figures already if you've supplied your cruise line. You can carry on two bottles of wine. If you buy wine in the dining room one night and you can carry your glasses back with you, wash them out, and re-use them to take the wine you brought with you into the dining room for free. If you take the bottle in with you, they will charge you the corking fee.

Sharing a package is not allowed, and monitored by bar staff, including cocktail hour.

OP is sailing on RC. RC does not charge a corkage fee. You can take two bottles of wine on board with you. Should you choose to take a bottle to the dining room there is no corkage fee. Staff will also hold the bottle for you should you not finish and want to save for another night.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles