Anyone ever not get back on boat and fly home?

txagfan

Have a family member joining us on an upcoming cruise who is having a very difficult time with their work schedule. It seems the only way they can join us is if they fly home from our last port stop, Cozumel. They would just miss a sea day (Day 6) and getting off the boat (Day 7).

I've read about people joining in-process cruises on here, but never anyone planning to disembark during a cruise. People are left behind all the time, but wasn't sure what the correct protocol is for this. For example, do you just get off the boat saying nothing and just don't return? Seems like one of those don't ask don't tell situations. Appreciate anyone's assistance with this question.

Have a family member joining us on an upcoming cruise who is having a very difficult time with their work schedule. It seems the only way they can join us is if they fly home from our last port stop, Cozumel. They would just miss a sea day (Day 6) and getting off the boat (Day 7).

I've read about people joining in-process cruises on here, but never anyone planning to disembark during a cruise. People are left behind all the time, but wasn't sure what the correct protocol is for this. For example, do you just get off the boat saying nothing and just don't return? Seems like one of those don't ask don't tell situations. Appreciate anyone's assistance with this question.

"Don't ask don't tell"... Is not the way to handle this at all...that creates problems you are obviously not aware of. The early departure request of your family member (if allowed) needs to be taken up with the cruiseline and procedures followed.

Actually getting off the ship early is far more commonly talked about than getting on late.

As Ashland correctly stated, it is definitely not a don't ask, don't tell situation. You are entering a foreign country fraudulently, at bare minimum, without the proper paperwork. With Mexico, you turn in part of your paperwork when you enter the country (waived when on a cruise ship) and the remainder of your paperwork when you leave the country. You wouldn't have this paperwork when you leave the country via a flight. Your passport (required in this case) wouldn't be stamped. Thus you have no documentation as to how you entered the country. US Immigration might also ask about when you left the country, and under what circumstances.

People are not "left behind all the time". It is a relatively very rare circumstance.

The person involved would not get a reduction is cruise fare, and of course be responsible for the airfare involved.

You must arrange this through the cruise line, and get their approval. You will go through Mexican Immigration, and probably Customs when you get off the ship.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I agree with what this cruiser on post #3 advised. We did this once as we wanted to get back for a wedding. We were on a cruise to Mexico and we flew back from Puerto Vallerta. When we did our reservation, the cruise line was aware of our plans and I am not sure if we paid less???

Edited by DormMom

Calm down everyone...I'm just asking a question.

Wonder if they'll refund one day of the daily service charge [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No refunds on anything, period. Not all foreign ports will allow you to disembark early. It must be requested and approved before he embarks at the beginning of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello everyone. We did this last year on an Icelandic cruise sailing from Southampton England to New York, The last port of call before New York was Halifax Nova Scotia in Canada. We had been to New York on previous occasions and had always wanted to tour some of Canada so disembarked in Halifax. We told check in and guest services of our intention to disembark in Halifax on the day of embarkation and they made a note of it and we had no problems.

No reduction in cruise fee (we didn't expect any) but we were surprised to see that they refunded the new york port fee (given as cruise credit) We did have to take our suitcases off ourselves and go to guest services the night before to make sure the bill was cleared.

We sailed with Princess cruises and a few people also disembarked here. hope this helps. Happy cruising. :)

I'm looking at a Celebrity T/A for Fall 2017 from Southampton to Miami with stops in Boston, New York, Bermuda and Nassau. Because we want to get to New York - without having to fly up from Florida - and find the fare for the full itinerary to be competitive with Cunard's just to New York, we will book it and simply pay for the whole cruise if Celebrity will approve it - which I understand they have done in the past.

Time for OP's friend to look for a new job.

I have a great job with decent pay and if I couldn't take a particular day or days off the last thing that I would do would be to look for a new job.

OP, best thing to do is to call the cruise line and inquire.