I just got a free cruise! (I think)

suebussy

So I'm booked on my first Princess cruise ever, Regal out of NYC 10/22 Canada, with a mini-suite L206. Princess called me today and said if I change to room E329, they will refund my entire fare paid. I'm like what's the catch? She told me slightly smaller room that is not a mini suite but has an obstructed view. I said OK sounds great sign me up. I feel like I won the lottery, however now that the adrenaline has worn off, I'm questioning if I made the right decision, has this happened to anyone else? They gave me a shipboard credit of my fare (about 2000) they said what we dont use will be sent to us 4 to 10 weeks after the cruise. Will I ever see this check?

So I'm booked on my first Princess cruise ever, Regal out of NYC 10/22 Canada, with a mini-suite L206. Princess called me today and said if I change to room E329, they will refund my entire fare paid. I'm like what's the catch? She told me slightly smaller room that is not a mini suite but has an obstructed view. I said OK sounds great sign me up. I feel like I won the lottery, however now that the adrenaline has worn off, I'm questioning if I made the right decision, has this happened to anyone else? They gave me a shipboard credit of my fare (about 2000) they said what we dont use will be sent to us 4 to 10 weeks after the cruise. Will I ever see this check?

Sounds good to me - we'd do it in a heartbeat!!

Yes, the OBC would be refundable and whatever you don't use onboard would be returned to you via check from accounting company 2-4 weeks later. People have it hapoen all the time with leftover refundable OBC.

What a great deal for you! Enjoy!!

Yes, you will get your $$$. But beware! The reason that they first give you OBC is so that you feel like you are playing with "house money" and burn through a lot of it that you might not otherwise spend. If that $800 bracelet in the gift shop is more important to you than getting a check for that amount, then by all means, grab it. But otherwise, be mindful of the fact that they are counting on you being rather carefree while on board so that they only have to pay you back a small portion of your cruise fare.

They probably needed your Mini Suite for a group booking or something like that. E329 is not too bad of a view, have a look here https://sites.google.com/site/royalregalprincess/home/8-emerald.

Theo

That sounds like a fantastic deal... but heed JimmyVWine's advice. In the euphoria of a first cruise, I can see how it would be very easy to blow through two grand on a bunch of 'stuff' you don't really need. Remember - these ships are designed to generate on board revenue.

Congratulations!

Although not a mini-suite at least it is a deluxe balcony which is somewhat larger than the standard balconies. Even with the obstruction of the lifeboat the price is certainly right! I say SCORE to this deal.

E329 will be a standard balcony cabin with a 9'x4' balcony. It is nice an roomy, nice size bathroom, lots of storage. The view from the balcony will be partially obstructed, mainly downwards.

Whatever you don't use in OBC will be refunded to you. There will be the auto-tip of just under $12.95/pp/day which will use up just under $189.

Yes, you will get your $$$. But beware! The reason that they first give you OBC is so that you feel like you are playing with "house money" and burn through a lot of it that you might not otherwise spend. If that $800 bracelet in the gift shop is more important to you than getting a check for that amount, then by all means, grab it. But otherwise, be mindful of the fact that they are counting on you being rather carefree while on board so that they only have to pay you back a small portion of your cruise fare.

I agree , if you spend on board ONLY as you normally would. You did basically get a free cruise. If your only 2 people in the room a balcony is plenty of room. And your view my be a little less. BUT FREE CRUISE :) ANY VIEW ON A free cruise is nice. GOOD JOB :)

Like other businesses, cruise lines over book expecting cancelations. Sometimes they guess wrong and there are not enough cabins of a type to satisfy all the bookings. For these they make a very nice offer to get someone to give up their cabin. Sometimes they move people to a lower category cabin (like you). Other times they offer a different cruise. Have a great (FREE) cruise.

You absolutely made the right decision!!! Congratulations. Based on other posts I've read you WILL receive the check. It looks like junk mail, so open everything! I am so happy for you. I would have done the same thing! I hope to have the same opportunity one day.

Marie