Booking directly with Celebrity

MAS2017

Hi All,

New here, but not new to cruising.

Have done a few, all on RCCL and recently decided to give Celebrity a try. I've only just begun the process and it's already turned into a nightmare.

Sorry it's a bit long but I'm trying to work out if Celebrity is still worth booking.

I never use a TA and always book cruises directly on the website of the cruise.

I set up an account with celebrity, contacted them to get Captains Club recognition for our Crown and Anchor... all set.

Found the cruise I wanted to book, went through the whole process, got to the payment section and ticked pay deposit ($800) and hit "submit".

The website freaked out and diverted straight back to the cruise selection page, no booking confirmed. I thought fine, I'll re-do it later.

Later that day I notice $800 missing from my credit card.. I thought it must have booked, I log on and no booking.

I try to call Celebrity - but on hold for 35 minutes I hung up. I emailed them.

A day later no response, no booking and $800 still missing from my card.

Emailed again to follow up. - No reply still.

Another day later I then get an automatic email with a booking confirmation, great I think.

I then open the booking confirmation and it states $0.00 had been paid - yet money is still gone off my credit card.

I call my bank and they confirm that Celebrity took $800.00

I log into the site to check the booking and there is no reservation, I try add the reservation (using the booking number that was sent in the email) and it states it doesn't exist.

I call Celebrity and they state the booking is fine and they can see they took $800 but it's in "Limbo" - they said they have taken it from my card but not placed it on the booking - give it a week and it should go back onto my card or onto the booking, in the meantime my booking will stay there.

I think ok, fine.

Later that day I then get a reply from my first email to Celebrity about the $800 in which they basically say it's impossible that they take money and have no booking and I need to prove it to them.

I replied and explained that on phone they even confirmed they have taken it, as did the bank.

The next day I notice another $800 gone from my credit card - Bank confirms it's Celebrity.

They advise to get celebrity to fax the bank to release the funds bank.

I ask celebrity via email and they refuse saying that they would not take it, have not taken it and I have to prove it to them.

I then log into my cruise account - I add our captains club numbers to the booking (they had disappeared) as I hit save, the total balance of the cruise jumped an extra $1,000.00.

At this stage I thought the site just doesn't work probably and the whole booking is a mess - so I cancelled the booking.

The next day I get an email from the same guy who'd emailed before saying it can't be true. This time he again said it can't be true and the booking number I gave him is no longer valid as it's canceled (Duh - i emailed them a few days earlier and canceled it after no response and the issues).

So now at this point - I have no cruise booked and $1,600 still missing from my credit card.

My bank has said to wait a week for it to drop off, if the $1,600 hasn't returned then to lodge a transaction dispute.

I guess what I'm wondering here is, as a first timer for celebrity - is this normal service? Is their website just bad? Is their customer service just bad?

Would still love to go on this cruise and thinking of going to a TA to get it done, but at the same time if this is going to be the service from Celebrity I'd be disappointed. On the phone (if you can get through) they were very helpful, via email they were rude, slow and unhelpful and the website seems hit and miss.

Also, when you book with celebrity - do you do it yourself directly on the site or use your local TA?

Thanks,

Sorry it worked out so bad..

We usually find the cruise online but book with a phone call....they immediately send an e mailed booking conf where u can confirm pricing perks and items added like ins..or non included perks

By it being cancelled u seem to have lost your pricing and may have to wait for another price drop..hopefullt with a lower deposit and one more perks included.

Good luck....hope you get your credit card refunded promptly!

Edited by hcat

Ps...calling early or late usually gets thru quicker and sometimes Cap Club call wait is longer than reg number..e mail is something we do not use with them to resolve issues...unless desperate..

Thanks for your replies.

I keep checking the price and it's staying the same, not changing too much, so not freaking out about that yet. I just don't want to attempt to book it again until the funds are returned to the card in case the same happens.

I have a Rep at Celebrity who contacted me after I was inquiring. She is my "Personal Planner" and she is great. I would ask for a dedicated agent not whomever answers the phone....to help you with a booking. We have her direct email and phone # for both her and her assistant... and trust me, I use it.

Edited by Perky1

Sorry you are having such challenges, yet have you considered a charge back from the bank????

That appears to be a quick way to get the reversal done, no?

Something does seem amiss here though.

bon voyage

So sorry but for the most part the web site and Customer Service leave a lot to be desired - off the ship. Once on the ship life is good. But you can call 3 times and get 3 separate answers for the simplest things. And don't get us started on the website. I've had to add my reservation back 3 times so far. Makes no sense.

I'd give it another try. We love the cruise line from the minute we get to the terminal. It is worth it - to us anyway.

Good luck

I've had a similar "limbo" issue, but with a hotel. The hotel kept insisting it couldn't even see any transaction at all, and me insisting they were lying, because I certainly didn't have access to that $1,000. My bank did confirm to me that the hotel was not lying, that the funds were not in either account. Your cancellation was certainly understandable but it seems that it did not help expedite the money back to your account. I DID get access to the money. It was 4-5 business days.

I prefer to book with a cruise travel agent because they have more experience with bookings and can let me know if something "smells funny." As to Celebrity, I highly recommend the cruise line; can't think of one critical thing to say and that's highly unusual for me. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't know what happened with your booking but I booked a cruise with them through a TA a few weeks ago. On their website it still shows that I only have a 24 hour courtesy hold and haven't paid anything. I know I have and I have a receipt from my TA and cc bill w celebrity charge. So I'm not stressing about it, but it may have been your initial booking went through and was just celebrities website being weird. Now you have the cancellation and what not to deal w. If you still decide to cruise w them would def recommend doing the booking w a person, either through a TA or calling celebrity and speaking to someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a nightmare. Sorry that you have had such a rough experience with X. Once you get the situation resolved, I suggest you book through a TA who can outline what charges will be made to your CC and when. We always book through one of the big online agencies as they reward us with extra OBC in addition to the Perk deals by X.

Once you are on board, we definitely feel that X is worth it, assuming you will enjoy a laid back, relaxed, quiet cruise (as compared to RCCL).

Best of luck with getting it resolved.

Celebrity definitely has issues with their website as they have admitted but for years have done nothing to resolve it. You have to manage your own accounting and request an invoice after each payment. Be sure that all your perks and onboard credits are clearly shown and take your final payment invoice with you as that will be your only recourse once onboard to get everything you are entitled to as they will not just take your word for it but will verify with the main office.

Just one of the many reasons we always use a TA. Never had an issue like this, any issues TA has always handled it.

Lot's of folks love having their "control" though. :rolleyes:

I will second the statement that you need to talk to the Captains Club who may refer you to the Resolution Dept. At this point don't bother talking to a regular reservationist, they sometimes don't have a clue. This is an unusual situation, but Captains Club will help resolve it.

I don't know what happened with your booking but I booked a cruise with them through a TA a few weeks ago. On their website it still shows that I only have a 24 hour courtesy hold and haven't paid anything. I know I have and I have a receipt from my TA and cc bill w celebrity charge. So I'm not stressing about it, but it may have been your initial booking went through and was just celebrities website being weird. Now you have the cancellation and what not to deal w. If you still decide to cruise w them would def recommend doing the booking w a person, either through a TA or calling celebrity and speaking to someone.

I have had bookings that were paid in full suddenly revert to a courtesy hold showing on the website. I called my TA and they got it straightened out right away. Celebrity's website had been notorious for years and they never get it straightened out to operate smoothly. I even had 3 cruises suddenly disappear completely and show no reservation with that number found. Again, TA fixed it. All that being said, Celebrity cruises are our favorite and once we get onboard we forget about the hinky website and have a wonderful time. We always book through a TA. Although we're perfectly capable of doing it ourselves online or on the phone, we have found consistently that we get more perks and OBC through the TA, and often the TA offers lower fares for the same cabin category than what we get booking directly. In addition, a TA that gets Celebrity Chairman's Award gets taken much more seriously than I do when a call is made to Celebrity. All that being said I noticed that the OP was from Canberra and from what I've read on CC those from the US seem to have different experiences with booking since different rules seem to apply. Hope you get it straightened out. Celebrity (at least to us) is worth the troubles. Try emailing celebrityonetouch@celebrity.com. They may be of more help.

Edited by Luvcrusn

Call your TA and tell them about the courtesy hold showing, they will make one phone call and get it straightened out.

Hi All,

New here, but not new to cruising.

Have done a few, all on RCCL and recently decided to give Celebrity a try. I've only just begun the process and it's already turned into a nightmare.

Sorry it's a bit long but I'm trying to work out if Celebrity is still worth booking.

I never use a TA and always book cruises directly on the website of the cruise.

I set up an account with celebrity, contacted them to get Captains Club recognition for our Crown and Anchor... all set.

Found the cruise I wanted to book, went through the whole process, got to the payment section and ticked pay deposit ($800) and hit "submit".

The website freaked out and diverted straight back to the cruise selection page, no booking confirmed. I thought fine, I'll re-do it later.

Later that day I notice $800 missing from my credit card.. I thought it must have booked, I log on and no booking.

I try to call Celebrity - but on hold for 35 minutes I hung up. I emailed them.

A day later no response, no booking and $800 still missing from my card.

Emailed again to follow up. - No reply still.

Another day later I then get an automatic email with a booking confirmation, great I think.

I then open the booking confirmation and it states $0.00 had been paid - yet money is still gone off my credit card.

I call my bank and they confirm that Celebrity took $800.00

I log into the site to check the booking and there is no reservation, I try add the reservation (using the booking number that was sent in the email) and it states it doesn't exist.

I call Celebrity and they state the booking is fine and they can see they took $800 but it's in "Limbo" - they said they have taken it from my card but not placed it on the booking - give it a week and it should go back onto my card or onto the booking, in the meantime my booking will stay there.

I think ok, fine.

Later that day I then get a reply from my first email to Celebrity about the $800 in which they basically say it's impossible that they take money and have no booking and I need to prove it to them.

I replied and explained that on phone they even confirmed they have taken it, as did the bank.

The next day I notice another $800 gone from my credit card - Bank confirms it's Celebrity.

They advise to get celebrity to fax the bank to release the funds bank.

I ask celebrity via email and they refuse saying that they would not take it, have not taken it and I have to prove it to them.

I then log into my cruise account - I add our captains club numbers to the booking (they had disappeared) as I hit save, the total balance of the cruise jumped an extra $1,000.00.

At this stage I thought the site just doesn't work probably and the whole booking is a mess - so I cancelled the booking.

The next day I get an email from the same guy who'd emailed before saying it can't be true. This time he again said it can't be true and the booking number I gave him is no longer valid as it's canceled (Duh - i emailed them a few days earlier and canceled it after no response and the issues).

So now at this point - I have no cruise booked and $1,600 still missing from my credit card.

My bank has said to wait a week for it to drop off, if the $1,600 hasn't returned then to lodge a transaction dispute.

I guess what I'm wondering here is, as a first timer for celebrity - is this normal service? Is their website just bad? Is their customer service just bad?

Would still love to go on this cruise and thinking of going to a TA to get it done, but at the same time if this is going to be the service from Celebrity I'd be disappointed. On the phone (if you can get through) they were very helpful, via email they were rude, slow and unhelpful and the website seems hit and miss.

Also, when you book with celebrity - do you do it yourself directly on the site or use your local TA?

Thanks,

That's terrible! We usually book with a TA, it is easier. The web site doesn't always work. I hope it gets all straightened out and you do book the cruise with a TA. Celebrity cruises are the best. I'm just so sorry this has happened to you.

I put a cruise on 24 hour hold...the next morning I got a phone call asking me if I wanted to book...I did over the phone - everything was confirmed within the hour. Then I was able to upgrade to a balcony during a sale & saved over 1200. But I phoned my pvp. No payments were made online and after reading this I don't think I ever will.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi All,

Thanks,

I hate using the phone. I pretty much always do all transactions via company's websites. With Celebrity I make an exception. The website is beautiful on the surface, a tangled web of spaghetti under the surface. I have done several long cruises with Celebrity, all of them booked directly with Celebrity, all booked via phone call or onboard. When I want to make a payment, I call my Celebrity "Vacation Planner", I don't use the website. Using this approach I have had zero issues. I call, I leave a message for my Vacation Planner guy, he calls me back within 30-60 minutes, 2-3 minutes on the phone and business is taken care of.

After my most recent cruise (last week) I was a bit concerned because I had credit card "holds" for several thousand dollars even after my onboard charges had been charged to the card. After a few daily business cycles that cleared itself up.

In short, the website is by far the weakest point in the Celebrity operation. Try to work around it, try to avoid it, and you will find what a delight the rest of the experience can be.

Stan

Call your TA and tell them about the courtesy hold showing, they will make one phone call and get it straightened out.

At this point it's been labeled a 24 hour courtesy hold for 3 weeks... not sure that it's a problem. Will get it sorted out before I make final payment.

UPDATE:

Thank you everyone who has replied with advice and experience.

Today I went to a TA, they found the cruise I wanted and got us booked on it, cheaper than what I had and in a Concierge Cabin rather than a normal Verandah Cabin.

Incredibly happy that we're booked on it and can just do the countdown.

I won't go near the website again and I'll just do everything with the TA for this booking, and any future celebrity ones.

Looking forward as everyone seems to give Celebrity good reviews, so really didn't want the bad site experience to leave a bad impression of the whole cruise line.

In relation to the $1,600 - it's still missing from my credit card. But the bank has assured me if it doesn't fall out of the "limbo" celebrity put it in then they can do a transaction dispute and getting the funds returned should be easy. I just have to be patient.

Thanks again everyone, very excited now.

UPDATE:

Today I went to a TA, they found the cruise I wanted and got us booked on it, cheaper than what I had and in a Concierge Cabin rather than a normal Verandah Cabin.

I won't go near the website again and I'll just do everything with the TA for this booking, and any future celebrity ones.

Looking forward as everyone seems to give Celebrity good reviews, so really didn't want the bad site experience to leave a bad impression of the whole cruise line.

In relation to the $1,600 - it's still missing from my credit card. But the bank has assured me if it doesn't fall out of the "limbo" celebrity put it in then they can do a transaction dispute and getting the funds returned should be easy. I just have to be patient.

Glad to hear going through a TA worked out more favorable for you. That has also always been my experience.

UPDATE:

Good for you for taking the advice of a few of the posters and using the services of a TA.Thanks for the update.