Head Waiter

bluecookies

We were on Harmony of the Seas last month. We met the head waiter the first night in the MDR Silk. He was great and helped to entertain our grandkids and make sure we had everything we needed for every meal. He was there each night and couldn't have been nicer.

Not sure what others experiences are.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many guests feel this same way, but if your dinner service runs smoothly and you never see her/him, s/he is running things behind the scenes. The Head Waiter does not do "nothing" - common misconception. Some people even remove their HW tips because they think s/he does nothing. Very sad.

Some never see or hear from a head waiter until the last night. Others have seen them far more often. I look at it this way: if everything runs smoothly, they are doing their job and have earned their portion of the auto gratuities. If you needed to switch your table or had any issues with dining and they helped, then they earn any extra you feel inclined to give

Some never see or hear from a head waiter until the last night. Others have seen them far more often. I look at it this way: if everything runs smoothly, they are doing their job and have earned their portion of the auto gratuities. If you needed to switch your table or had any issues with dining and they helped, then they earn any extra you feel inclined to give

This is very well stated. Typically you might not ever see the head waiter, because they are busy behind the scenes keeping everything flowing smoothly. They are likely the people checking the order before it is brought from the kitchen, ensuring it is correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Typically, if we NEVER see the head waiter....there is no tip. Just saying! One cruise, they were there almost every night... and made sure all of our requests and wants were fulfilled, so we tipped quite well....on one cruise, we didn't see them until the last night...and he didn't even stop to say hello, or thank you or Anything.....no tip for him.

Tips should be based on the service you get. We had a cabin attendant we NEVER saw...still don't know if it was a male or female...but our cabin was immaculate the entire trip.....we left extra tip for that one!

One cruise, our waiter sucked..but the assistant waiter made up for it...HE got the additional tip..not the waiter....

Base your tips on your experience.

Edited by cb at sea

Back in the day when you actually tipped people, the matre dee came by during dessert to see if all was OK. My youngest son, 13 at the time commented how great the mango pie was. He promised some for the next night. Next night we all had mango pie. There are alot of services available to us on Cruise ships, it's just a matter if you know about it or use it. That's what makes cruise critic so great. Just find the first time cruiser and watch their face when you tell them they can order everything on the menu.

The Head Waiter's primary function is to train the wait staff!

If you are served promptly and efficiently then the Head Waiter has done a good job.

Today, with the cut backs in wait staff, the Head Waiter is often out of sight in the kitchen making sure the meals come out correctly.

Typically, if we NEVER see the head waiter....there is no tip. Just saying! One cruise, they were there almost every night... and made sure all of our requests and wants were fulfilled, so we tipped quite well....on one cruise, we didn't see them until the last night...and he didn't even stop to say hello, or thank you or Anything.....no tip for him.

Tips should be based on the service you get. We had a cabin attendant we NEVER saw...still don't know if it was a male or female...but our cabin was immaculate the entire trip.....we left extra tip for that one!

One cruise, our waiter sucked..but the assistant waiter made up for it...HE got the additional tip..not the waiter....

Not sure why tipping entered discussion!

Head waiters are responsible for making sure the section you are seated in runs smoothly. They do many different things, including training and behind the scenes work. If your MDR experience is good - much of the praise should go to the head waiter for doing their job well.

Once had a poor waiter - when the head waiter came to the table to ask how things were pretty much everyone told him the waiter was pretty bad. He apologized profusely and explained this was his first stint as a waiter and had just been promoted from an assistant waiter. The following night the head waiter was with him all night - guiding, helping and assisting. He also apologized again and brought wine for table! By the end of the week there was so much improvement in our new guy. The head waiter shadowed him all week, so we really did see a different part of his job.

Well, I'm just saying that you are sooooo wrong. You never saw your steward but the cabin was immaculate so he did his job. The same can be said about the head waiter. You don't HAVE to see him yet he is doing his job by overseeing the wait staff and making sure things run smoothly.

Of course, once again, you will never read this post or any of the others explaining the job of the head waiter. :(

As far as people saying they never see the head waiter, do they really expect him/her to make it to every table? That is unreasonable and they would never be able to do their job. The job is not just to socialize.

Edited by iheartbda

The head waiter is responsible for the overall running of the dining room. As an educator, I compare the job to that of principal in a school. If the school is well-run, things go smoothly and the parent does not need to see the principal, unless their is a special situation. If there is, a good principal knows how to handle it effectively. The head waiter's job is similar. If the dining room is well-run, you probably won't see the head waiter much. But if they are not doing their job, things will not go smoothly.

You really seem to have missed the point - actually a couple of points.

If the head waiter is really doing his job, you may not need to see him - he is busy insuring that his staff are serving you well. If you HAVE to interact with him, it could be because his staff was dropping the ball.

When it comes to tips- leaving the auto-tip in place takes care of the people who's efforts make your cruise enjoyable without your seeing them. Removing them saves you money ---- period.

I do not believe the Head Waiter is part of the tip pool. If you look at the breakdown sometimes quoted, it includes waiter, asst. waiter, cabin steward and asst, and behind the scenes folk who get the smallest part. I think the Head Water (and Maitre 'd) are salaried and extra tips to them are gravy. EM

You really seem to have missed the point - actually a couple of points.

If the head waiter is really doing his job, you may not need to see him - he is busy insuring that his staff are serving you well. If you HAVE to interact with him, it could be because his staff was dropping the ball.

When it comes to tips- leaving the auto-tip in place takes care of the people who's efforts make your cruise enjoyable without your seeing them. Removing them saves you money ---- period.

Some people look for any possible excuse to avoid paying tips. This seems like such a situation. I would guess the "extra" mentioned was probably a measly couple of dollars so they could crow about how they tip extra.

I do not believe the Head Waiter is part of the tip pool. If you look at the breakdown sometimes quoted, it includes waiter, asst. waiter, cabin steward and asst, and behind the scenes folk who get the smallest part. I think the Head Water (and Maitre 'd) are salaried and extra tips to them are gravy. EM

That varies by cruise line. When we were on DCL they were part of the gratuity breakdown. There wasn't an assistant cabin steward though.

I traveled solo on a Cunard Queen Victoria World Cruise 2 years ago. I saw my head waiter every night. He pitched in when ever the waiters were busy.

One night I was not feeling well and did not go down to dinner. Half hour after dinner started he called my cabin to make sure I was OK. He even offered to have my dinner delivered to my cabin. He was the beast.

Don

I traveled solo on a Cunard Queen Victoria World Cruise 2 years ago. I saw my head waiter every night. He pitched in when ever the waiters were busy.

One night I was not feeling well and did not go down to dinner. Half hour after dinner started he called my cabin to make sure I was OK. He even offered to have my dinner delivered to my cabin. He was the beast.

Don

I know it was just a typo or autocorrect, but the last word cracks me up. :)

I believe that depends on the cruise line. RC designates head waiter, waiter and assistant waiter as far as dining room staff on the breakdown for automatic gratuities.

Incidentally, I have also seen my head waiter the following day supervising in the Windjammer on RC, so they do move around just like the waiters and assistants.